Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

many former valve employees have directly stated that the workers coop where the employees have the final say in what they work on was always a bunch of horseshit that was just passed around to try to attract talent
Many former employees have also stated the opposite of that. The work culture there is unlikely to be flawless but following up on one of the more vocal people complaining about their time at Valve on twitter revealed them to be an a bit of an egoist and precisely the kind of person who wouldn't fit in a collaborative workspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The SNES Puggsy Proto is out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it was a really fun/interesting stream, having a few people who really like puggsy show up was a little funny. i think the only thing we didn't show off was the game over screen, which was unique to this version (though it resembles the md/gen one)

it'll be interesting to see who takes interest in this, news-wise. i'm kind of expecting that it gets zero attention like most protos, but mr. burton's involvement might make more of a stir

on the bright side only like three people whined about not getting the rom immediately. pretty nice

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tbh I can see why that Ravenholm spinoff was shut down. The zombie enemies look very dull.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Tbh I can see why that Ravenholm spinoff was shut down. The zombie enemies look very dull.
They're also wearing "I AM A PLACEHOLDER" shirts if you squint.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That NoClip video about the history of Arkane shows gameplay footage of LMNO. I think I probably would have liked to play it if had actually come out. I wonder if the game used discrete hand-chosen moments to influence your relationship with the alien or if they happened dynamically during the gameplay. If it was the latter, I could see it being annoying to play, so maybe that was why it was cancelled.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That NoClip video about the history of Arkane shows gameplay footage of LMNO. I think I probably would have liked to play it if had actually come out. I wonder if the game used discrete hand-chosen moments to influence your relationship with the alien or if they happened dynamically during the gameplay. If it was the latter, I could see it being annoying to play, so maybe that was why it was cancelled.
I think that that video, or another interview possibly, discusses how they simply ran out of funding for it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Duke nukem forever 2001 build is finally loving here. Probably posted already in the fps threads but i havent checked, huge parts are playable. Yes that e3 vid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/ulk0wd/duke_nukem_forever_2001_has_leaked/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://duke4.net/duke-nukem-forever-2001-content-4chan-leak/

https://streamable.com/5qttin

Full editor and source code is getting released in june lmao

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 9, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“In June” yeah right

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

“In June” yeah right

That's feasible if they want to make it easily buildable/playable on modern systems. I just hope they were able to cover their tracks well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
it will get released anonymously in the middle of the night, theres no stopping this unless randy makes contact and tries pulling some kind of deal and or it turns out this whole thing is a smelly randy scam cos he going on about releasing it awhile ago

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 9, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

“In June” yeah right

Gonna hold onto this tweet like a 10 year old receipt.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yes... Yes!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A couple more video clips from the leaker:

Bike Section (Test Map?)
Weapons Showcase and Weird Tentacle Dogs

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Loving how you can carry every weapon in the game in that version, like the older games, solidifying that they really did dumb down the final version with the two weapon limit to conform to halo or whatever else was popular at the time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Loving how you can carry every weapon in the game in that version, like the older games, solidifying that they really did dumb down the final version with the two weapon limit to conform to halo or whatever else was popular at the time.

Yup. They also added sprinting so Duke could only run a few yards before getting winded.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also very funny because the final game has an epic burn against Halo for having power armor and like you can't make fun of a game you're trying to conform to

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

It looks so good. Also the attention to detail thing - Duke on the bike realistically using the clutch to shift gears, grabbing the front brake, the animated tachometer, the dangling of his keys. Good stuff

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the released DNF is loving atrocious

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
cut content: literally everything fun

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The dialogue has somehow aged worse than anything in Duke 3D. Sub Family Guy at its worst level humor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I got as far as the second stage before I gave up.

The utterly terrible attempts at misanthropic humor didn't drive me away, it was the sheer godawful gameplay where I was supposed to roll some thing into another thing or whatever. I guess I pushed it in the wrong direction and when I realized it I just noped out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Opening with a double blowjob from the not-Olsen twins sure was a choice that someone made

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

DNF is as bad as Duke3D is good, which is to say, extremely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a bold move to start your game with an hour of characters in-game telling Duke how cool he is when the character hasn't been legitimately cool in 15 years.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The people in charge of cobbling together DNF in order to make a shippable product hated the game and you can tell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DNF and Duke's subsequent addition to Bulletstorm had the horrible feeling that someone at Gearbox genuinely thought Duke was still cool and relevant.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Opening with a double blowjob from the not-Olsen twins sure was a choice that someone made

Looks like you're hosed.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

At least the DLC was an improvement , since it only committed about half the possible mistakes rather than all of them like the main game. It even has jokes that reach the lofty heights of "mildly amusing"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

njsykora posted:

DNF and Duke's subsequent addition to Bulletstorm had the horrible feeling that someone at Gearbox genuinely thought Duke was still cool and relevant.

Randy...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

njsykora posted:

It's like all of the worst aspects of Duke were all the things that they liked.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Its out!!!

Edit: uhhhhh forgot maybe the mods are not cool with a link lol?

The june date was a "delayed dnf" joke lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m sorry for doubting it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

death rally is the second best duke game

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I’m sorry for doubting it

Always bet on Duke

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So back in 1986, there was official art of a female Link. There was some speculation/theories that you would have been able to choose between male or female at some point in development because of that.

In reality, the artist just had 8-bit art and vague descriptions to work from, and I guess decided Link looked like a girl (decades before Gerudo Link).

But the art recently resurfaced, so here it is.

https://twitter.com/HistoryofHyrule/status/1523021222375997440

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Would be much more interesting games if Link was a girl. As a non Zelda fan, those games give me extremely rapey and predatorial vibes with this child running around

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

So back in 1986, there was official art of a female Link. There was some speculation/theories that you would have been able to choose between male or female at some point in development because of that.

In reality, the artist just had 8-bit art and vague descriptions to work from, and I guess decided Link looked like a girl (decades before Gerudo Link).

Huh. I literally just ordered a copy of that book last week.

To clear up some details, the strategy guides and magazine articles are a weird mixed bag of promo art from the publisher mixed in with stuff done by people at the book publisher. You get a lot of interestingly off model stuff in them (which is part of why I get them). The days before publishers had this stuff locked down were crazy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Huh, I wonder if the female Link art was what inspired them to give Link his pink/purple hair in A Link to the Past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Would be much more interesting games if Link was a girl. As a non Zelda fan, those games give me extremely rapey and predatorial vibes with this child running around

im sorry, what