Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wacky conspiracy theory: Loving will go on the chopping block next because Clarence Thomas wants to leave his wife but doesn't want to get a divorce, so he's using the court to nullify his marriage to her.

Ah yeah I've seen that Frasier episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Devorum posted:

I've come to the conclusion that if my non-lovely friends are okay with keeping someone that lovely around, then they are, in fact, lovely friends.

In my case they're mostly the "my middle class white privilege allows me to ignore politics entirely" kind of lovely, rather than "I endorse this guy's lovely politics". Passively lovely vs. actively.

The five of them literally went to school together since kindergarten, so they've been friends for over 30 years. I got adopted into the group in high school when my grade school class merged with theirs, so my friendship with the group is "only" 20 years old at this point.

We just went on a bachelor party for one of them (minus rear end in a top hat friend) and everyone had a blast, so it's not just me. He got disinvited for being a flake and leaving dog sitting plans to the last minute, but I'll take it

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I didn't see this in the wild but rather from someone who found it and mocked it. Original meme followed by right-wing copycat photoshop:

Usually those just change the text and maybe a couple more sloppy edits, this went wild editing both panels.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God these people make me loving sick

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why did they edit the baby to make them look like they are suffering from progeria?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I didn't even notice the gigantic black cock until the third look. They made the husband white aswell.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Why did they edit the baby to make them look like they are suffering from progeria?

Side effect of making sure the baby was pure white I guess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Husband edited to look like editor, $20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CuddleCryptid posted:

Husband edited to look like editor, $20

Lol the husband is a tech bro because that's the only guy that can produce a four child family as the editor lives in LA probsbly

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oh my god they just inverted her mouth

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Deuce posted:

Oh my god they just inverted her mouth

Now that I look closely, they edited her face in general to make her slightly "uglier" - wider-set eyes, grayer and flatter skin tone to look sickly (or maybe less white, given what they did to the guy and kid in the other picture), kind of Innsmouth'd her.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
The story gets even crazier. The guy being whitened is part of the racist edit, but the hair and glasses change branches earlier since the whole thing started with some guy's photo and was then altered to look less like him. The racist edit is based on his original face.

https://twitter.com/averie_wright/status/1522388342515675137

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I think Gen Zs are delusional

I don't know if I have a say in this since I'm not really a registered voter, nor am I well-informed about the current politics, but I think the way people--especially the ones in my generation--acted during this election is quite absurd. First, they think they're fighting for something grandiose, and act all holier-than-thou just because they're being politically active. By "active", I mean: sharing memes on social media that negatively portray other candidates besides their own; commenting on various posts with this mocking, condescending, and sarcastic tone like a know-it-all and then immediately link sources about his/her candidate for "facts", even though it has no relevance to the original post whatsoever; having this notion that they're fighting for freedom, and think as if they're being "oppressed", while they sit around comfortably in their homes browsing tiktok, instagram, twitter, etc., patting themselves in the back for "fighting" for their country.

What's really interesting though, and frankly, annoying, is how they criticize people who stay neutral--like me, and is part of the reason why I'm ranting here in the first place--saying things like "neutrality is siding with the oppressor". First of all, that statement is really stupid, simply because it's incomplete, and secondly, it's used in the wrong context. I'm not exactly sure whose quote is this, but with a quick google search you can conclude that the whole quote would be: "neutrality is siding with the oppressor in times of injustice and inhuman treatment." Those people who I would say contributed to the idea are ones who truly lived in a hosed-up society; people like Martin Luther King Jr., whose whole race was brutally subjected to severe forms of prejudice and unfair rights.

Now, I'm not denying the fact there are some forms of corruption in the country; the association of the word "corruption" to our government is so common that it became trite in political discourses. However, you can't deny the fact that we are still living in a free country, and have enough resources to thrive--with a lot of hard work--financially; this is an absolute truth, and I can stand by this because of my own upbringing, which is the typical tale of coming from a dirt-poor quality of life to a middle-class one, and I'm extremely grateful for my parents for that. Some may argue that some people just don't have the opportunity to do so, but really, based on what their usual arguments consist of, what they're asking for is "Equality of Outcome", not "Equality of Opportunity"(just do your own research for the difference between the two). My point for this is that we are in no way in times of great crisis so as to be obligated to throw away personal matters and religiously follow a side; which these gen z people are so keenly advocating for, even going as far as to burn bridges with their friends and relatives. The way I see it, they're just trying to play the moral high ground, thinking of the bridges burned as some sort of necessary sacrifice for their "oh-so-beloved" country--the country which they know little to none of the history of --when in reality, all they're doing is voluntarily isolating themselves and deluding themselves of a "fight-for-the-country" scenario wherein they play the heroical minority, and everyone who are outside of their "little minority squad" is evil. This type of narrative can be seen through their posts, wherein it's accompanied by a hashtag of "fight for what is right", which is an extremely flawed belief in the context of elections, simply because there is no "right or wrong" in here, only a "lesser evil". Each criteria from which you based your chosen candidate on is subjective to your own, and obviously, that differs significantly for each person. So the fact that your group considers your chosen candidate as the one and only "right", is nothing short of an indication of either fanaticism or groupthink.

I've been recently reading this book, it's called "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It's partly a memoir and partly a psychological study about his experiences inside one of the extermination camps during World War II, "Auschwitz". I'm only halfway through the book, but it already made my stomach churn by how hellishly the living conditions in there were--if it can be even considered "living". And the fact that he survived just shows how much resilience and capacity to endure suffering we humans truly have. Then, whenever I take a break from reading and scroll through my newsfeed, I can't help but make the comparison of the living conditions there and what we have now. I see all this whining about "human rights" and "free speech", and I can't help but think to myself: "what a bunch of ungrateful, privileged, and spineless hypocrites."

It's just really sad to see some of my friends buy into this ideology, and also sad for my whole generation. I mean sure, it's good to educate ourselves about political matters, to be proactive toward various social issues, but more often than not we get in over our heads and bite off more than what we can chew; one's got to realize that this world isn't a utopia, and also that there are certain limits to our knowledge that can only be acquired through experience and time that no amount of education can fill-in--besides, I think our "education" right now is leaning more towards "indoctrination", but that is another matter.

In conclusion, I just don't want our country to turn out like what's happening in the west right now, wherein it's filled with woke, entitled youngsters protesting about everything and everyone that makes them the slightest bit uncomfortable. Like for real, how can someone’s identity be so fragile that a pronoun offends them? Anyway, whoever our President may be, and they're not to your own liking, just please keep it to yourself and don't try to spark any ideas about "people's power"--because you have no idea what the consequences of that would be like.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

gradenko_2000 posted:

(Presumably) facebook poo poo

Politicians Hire Me to Spread Fake Stories - BBC News

Not exactly the same, but those type of posts have to come from somewhere

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 10, 2022

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know if I have a say in this since I'm not really a registered voter, nor am I well-informed about the current politics,

There is no reason to keep reading after that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I may not have "the facts" or even an "interesting perspective" but I have so many "sarcastically quoted phrases" that your "eyes cross" while "reading"

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Things aren't literally the Holocaust right now, so people should stop complaining so much!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The tone of the paragraph where he references the Holocaust makes it sound like he only just now found out about Auschwitz from reading a book, which is a truly incredible thing to admit when making any kind of statement about history.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*Reading a book about Auschwitz*

"Hm yes the moral here is that youngsters today have it too good and LGBT people in particular should shut up"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I noticed people are starting to poo poo on Zoomers more than Millennials. I'm guessing this is due to a number of factors:

-The youngest cohort getting the focus on criticism at any point in time, being the most outspoken, having the least agency, and giving people a vision of the future.

-Idiots slowly realizing Millennials aren't kids but people in their forties and shifting targets.

-Conservative Millennials joining in on the culture war bullshit and using Zoomers as scapegoats.

-Conservative panic about stuff like people transitioning at a young age and treating it like it's a fad, and hand wringing about what's going to happen to these people in the future.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Panfilo posted:

-Conservative panic about stuff like people transitioning at a young age and treating it like it's a fad, and hand wringing about what's going to happen to these people in the future.

Just realised how well this fits the standard-issue "I suffered so you have to" and "sufffering when young builds character and forms you as a person" (ie makes you an insuffrable rear end in a top hat)

I'm dealing with some TERFs right now and it's just all uuuuggggghhhh all the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

simplefish posted:

Just realised how well this fits the standard-issue "I suffered so you have to" and "sufffering when young builds character and forms you as a person" (ie makes you an insuffrable rear end in a top hat)

I'm dealing with some TERFs right now and it's just all uuuuggggghhhh all the time.
There's this annoying contrast between them viewing people as subhuman and concern trolling for their wellbeing. Like if they really think these people don't deserve rights or even dignity, why would they be so worried that they might be right in the end?

If cruelty is the point why don't they sit back and let it play out the way they think it will?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Panfilo posted:

There's this annoying contrast between them viewing people as subhuman and concern trolling for their wellbeing. Like if they really think these people don't deserve rights or even dignity, why would they be so worried that they might be right in the end?

If cruelty is the point why don't they sit back and let it play out the way they think it will?

They buddy-up with the far right all the time, and a massive amount of the "concerns" they voice are about preserving fertility. They also go extra hard at anyone who doesn't fit their standards of conventional (i.e. white European) beauty.

The cruelty isn't the point. White babies is the point. They're just too much of a coward to actually say the 14 words.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I noticed people are starting to poo poo on Zoomers more than Millennials. I'm guessing this is due to a number of factors:

-Idiots slowly realizing Millennials aren't kids but people in their forties and shifting targets.

A big part of this is probably the fact that millennial aren't easy targets anymore either. That side likes tactics where they can score an easy win, hence all the weirdo commentators going DEBATE ME at kids on college campuses. Millennials have the experience and political power to just tell them to gently caress off, or to worse yet show that they are wrong in a way that plays well to the camera.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

A big part of this is probably the fact that millennial aren't easy targets anymore either. That side likes tactics where they can score an easy win, hence all the weirdo commentators going DEBATE ME at kids on college campuses. Millennials have the experience and political power to just tell them to gently caress off, or to worse yet show that they are wrong in a way that plays well to the camera.
Also based on the fact that we don't see Kaitlin Bennett or Stephen Crowder pull that poo poo anymore it seems like they reach a saturation point where too many people are wise to what they are trying to do.

generatrix posted:

They buddy-up with the far right all the time, and a massive amount of the "concerns" they voice are about preserving fertility. They also go extra hard at anyone who doesn't fit their standards of conventional (i.e. white European) beauty.

The cruelty isn't the point. White babies is the point. They're just too much of a coward to actually say the 14 words.
OK yet they bring up all the abortions black people have in their pro life arguments. Why support policies that will result in PoCs out breeding them into the next century?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Panfilo posted:

OK yet they bring up all the abortions black people have in their pro life arguments. Why support policies that will result in PoCs out breeding them into the next century?

Because they also want to bring back slavery, which means you're going to need a work force that you see as expendable/not really people.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

simplefish posted:

TERFs have the added bonus of 'my suffering is uniquely bad'--their worldview is very much informed by the idea that no one has it worse than a woman. It's also why they fall so easily into racism. They're deeply upset by the idea that there are people who enjoy being women, or that people who do not enjoy being women can just Not. It's much the same as conservatives learning that if you don't enjoy being married, having kids, doing the traditional family thing--you can just not do that. It can't be that you made a mistake and the kids have learned from your misery. There must be something horribly wrong with the children.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Panfilo posted:

It's just one of the differences between conservatives and Nazis.

Nazis have a mystical belief in racial purity and believe in exterminating other races to keep the nation pure, and they do indeed mock conservatives for supporting forced birth policies that will lead to more black people and immigrant kids overrunning the pure white race or whatever. Like the NSDAP modern Nazis usually support abortion bans for white women and forced sterilization for non-whites.

Conservatives are racist but they aren't into the same mysticism about pure white nations and so on, they want an underclass to do all the poo poo work and make them money and make them feel superior, they want the classes to mostly run along racial lines and therfore forced birth policies that make poor and marginalized people more miserable and desperate are what they want. They do recognize that a fast growing underclass population is a problem for them in a democracy which is why they want voter suppression and minority rule.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The original NSDAP also supported welfare for single mothers as long as they were suitably Germanic, whereas good luck getting modern Conservatives to support that for anyone who isn't a corporation.

Mystical pseudo-Westphalian belief in pure ethnostates vs. mystical pseudo-Victorian belief in church and charity and the family being enough for everyone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The original NSDAP also supported welfare for single mothers as long as they were suitably Germanic, whereas good luck getting modern Conservatives to support that for anyone who isn't a corporation.

Mystical pseudo-Westphalian belief in pure ethnostates vs. mystical pseudo-Victorian belief in church and charity and the family being enough for everyone.

I'm about two days from dropping "Republicans are further right than nazis because at least Nazis gave German whites welfare" into a conversation and running away like it was a nuclear fuel rod.

Thank God that the GOP needs their labor class or there wouldn't be a distinction to be had.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm about two days from dropping "Republicans are further right than nazis because at least Nazis gave German whites welfare" into a conversation and running away like it was a nuclear fuel rod.

Thank God that the GOP needs their labor class or there wouldn't be a distinction to be had.
This just reinforces their belief that nazism is a leftist ideology

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Mystical pseudo-Victorian belief in church and charity and the family being enough for everyone.

This is the other part people forget. Like all the crazy parents who flip their poo poo about "why is what I've given you not ENOUGH? You're hurting my feelings by wanting more!"

Rather than wanting their kids to go on to bigger and better and brighter things they had or could provide during their kid's childhood.

It gets magnified if what the kid wants is ~different~

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Eh, I'm sure they'd be in favour of Kinder, Küche, Kirche. (Children, Kitchen, Church)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Eh, I'm sure they'd be in favour of Kinder, Küche, Kirche. (Children, Kitchen, Church)

They've got their alliterative slogans down with "God and Guns" (and sometimes a third thing), or a kitsch US flag sign I saw not too long ago with, "Family, Faith, Freedom."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Then they'll definitely appreciate adding the "drei K" to their arsenal.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

disposablewords posted:

They've got their alliterative slogans down with "God and Guns" (and sometimes a third thing), or a kitsch US flag sign I saw not too long ago with, "Family, Faith, Freedom."

They hosed up the order, I thought it was God, Country, Family ergo "Faith, Freedom, Family" :thunk:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

On top of what others have said, they don't actually care about black people's collective welfare, and just use it as a bludgeon to argue that liberals are hypocrites and/or the real racists.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

darthbob88 posted:

On top of what others have said, they don't actually care about black people's collective welfare, and just use it as a bludgeon to argue that liberals are hypocrites and/or the real racists.

Correct.

See also: "Why are we sending money to X country's people when ARE TROOPS are homeless on the street? Hell no, I don't want to give them any money either, why do you keep asking?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hmm, where have I heard that name before?
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2016/01/ftc-approves-final-order-craig-brittain-revenge-porn-case

Who would have guessed that this dude would end up as a pro-trump, q-anon aligned political candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

darthbob88 posted:

Aside from practical problems with the "abortion = racist" argument (e.g. if you outlaw abortion, wouldn't this result in a disproportionate amount of black women dying from DIY or backalley methods?), it requires acting as if no one across the globe ever practiced abortion until Margaret Sanger invented it circa 1910 for the sole purpose of oppressing black people in America.

But yeah a lot of GOP types are doing it in bad faith. Similar to how they'll accuse Planned Parenthood of operating a lucrative "abortion industry" yet you aren't supposed to use this supposed phenomenon to argue in favor of having abortion covered by a public health care system. You're just supposed to go "PLANNED PARENTHOOD BAD, ABORTION BAD."

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 14, 2022