Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1523668367936303105?s=20&t=rc7NRQVVTI6c8_HgJ8jrOQ

e:

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1523694379239882752?s=20&t=nbczzSadR4eLiAjtmSSO4A

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I would like to offer preemptive condolences to all the people who will be forced to play Red Hood by their friends.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

I would like to offer preemptive condolences to all the people who will be forced to play Red Hood by their friends.

Why? It's a Batman game, of course I want to play as the guy who shoots people. It's high time videogames have more gun gameplay.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait for that trailer tomorrow because in my head this game's a Destiny style game but with melee combat from the batfamily, and I would really, really like that not to be the case. Don't want DC's take on Avengers by Crystal Dynamics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if Cass and Steph get added to this game it's just as a Babs reskin.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sigh, well at least we're getting to see what they've done with it since last time they showed it off.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

Can't wait for that trailer tomorrow because in my head this game's a Destiny style game but with melee combat from the batfamily, and I would really, really like that not to be the case. Don't want DC's take on Avengers by Crystal Dynamics.

I think that is exactly what it is so unless they've retooled it since they showed it the first time you may be disappointed. The first trailer was of a mission against Mr Freeze but at the end they were like "this is a bespoke story mission that once beaten becomes a repeatable mission you could beat again and again".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if Cass and Steph get added to this game it's just as a Babs reskin.

Gotta squeeze in some DLC somewhere so I wouldn't be too shocked.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I might be the only person left in the world that doesn't like online co-op, PvP or even playing poo poo on my phone.

I mean, online connectivity is nice to have if you you know the person you want to play with and schedule it or something but so much of it is experts at the game who spend every waking hour of their lives getting great at it calling everybody N and F words that just wreck your poo poo and ruin your fun.

My phone is too small for me to enjoy most games, or movies or what have you and I spend half my day just wishing it would just shut the gently caress up for 10 minutes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maybe I'm not being open minded enough here, but the Arkham combat system was already awkward for 1v1 confrontations, I'm not sure how it's gonna work with 2-4 people pingponging around a collection of group of goons

Unless they've changed it a lot, in which case... that is also potentially bad, because I really liked the way those games played*! It's not out of the question that they've built onto it/evolved it in a way that works better, but... skeptical.

*This is also why I am disappointed to see that Suicide Squad looks like a TPS

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe I'm not being open minded enough here, but the Arkham combat system was already awkward for 1v1 confrontations, I'm not sure how it's gonna work with 2-4 people pingponging around a collection of group of goons

Unless they've changed it a lot, in which case... that is also potentially bad, because I really liked the way those games played*! It's not out of the question that they've built onto it/evolved it in a way that works better, but... skeptical.

*This is also why I am disappointed to see that Suicide Squad looks like a TPS

iT'S NOT The arkham combat system though, the preview we saw didn't have any of that flow and enemies had life bars like an MMO or even an old school beat em up.

Also, I too am an old man who dislikes multiplayer. Doing coop with friends is cool but scheduling time is just as impossible as it is for rpg poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would like a video game that has levels and I play through the levels and at the end of the levels there's a credits and the game is over.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I might be the only person left in the world that doesn't like online co-op, PvP or even playing poo poo on my phone.

I mean, online connectivity is nice to have if you you know the person you want to play with and schedule it or something but so much of it is experts at the game who spend every waking hour of their lives getting great at it calling everybody N and F words that just wreck your poo poo and ruin your fun.

My phone is too small for me to enjoy most games, or movies or what have you and I spend half my day just wishing it would just shut the gently caress up for 10 minutes.

It's not always bad. I tend to stay away from multiplayer as well but Tsushima Legends was great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah, same here.

Soonmot posted:

iT'S NOT The arkham combat system though, the preview we saw didn't have any of that flow and enemies had life bars like an MMO or even an old school beat em up.

I'm curious what they've done since then, because it looked real bad and they haven't put out any gameplay since.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I would like a video game that has levels and I play through the levels and at the end of the levels there's a credits and the game is over.

Not enough people bought Guardians of the Galaxy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hopefully they learned some lessons from Avengers and retooled it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How the hell do you gently caress up the Arkham combat system? Why would you even want to mess with it?

The Batman (and Spiderman) games have a flow to them and a relatively simple button/control interface that everyone loving loves. Just build a little on it if you have to. Add some layers and make the characters play a little different or with their own styles where one guy is slower but hits harder, another one is fast and does lighter damage and the other one has some ranged attacks or something but don't fix what isn't broken.

TBH, I'm a little bit put off right out of the box about a Batman game that doesn't let me be the god damned Batman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I had to guess I think the developer doesn't like the idea of every Batman or Bat-adjacent game having to use the Arkham combat system forever. And I agree, it was amazing but it wasn't the end-all, be-all of Batman.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I'd assume they just don't wanna keep doing the same combat when the last time it was used was seven years ago.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I enjoy the Arkham-style combat (although I enjoyed it the most when Spider-Man did it better :ninja:) but I think it's a bit played out at this point. Plus, I don't think it was ever a great fit for Batman, or at least not the Arkham universe Batman. He's built like a brick house and has the personality of a plain cardboard box, but when he gets to fighting he's jumping and flipping around like a ninja ballerina. I think something a bit more heavy, grounded, and purposeful would fit the Arkham universe better. Maybe something like God Hand or Sifu, all about individual strikes and close-quarters combat.

Then again, we're dealing with a new cast of more svelte, flashy characters now, so the old combat system might be a better fit for Gotham Knights than it ever was for the Arkham games. Whatever they end up doing, I just hope it's fun. :shobon:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've been playing Yakuza 0 and they have a system where you have 3 fighting styles you can switch between, you unlock all pretty quickly, but the first is just basic bruiser, but pretty versatile, second is super quick, very easy to dodge other people, and the third is just a going loving beast mode, you're slow, but every hit really loving counts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bnCgwYbEbk

God this trailer looks so fake

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I will admit, Dick getting the Techno-BOTW-Glider from Horizon 2 and Jason getting INFINITE SOUL JUMPS is sending me. That's a lot cooler and goofier than I expected.

e: looks fine-ish. It sure is another open world like City and Knight but this time with raidable co-op missions. Combat looks pretty clunky and slow, there's so many times when Dick hitting nothing or backflipping 3 times before he can do the next animation. But they are trying to make 4 distinct characters that can be played for the entire game, so that's a headache to develop. If it's like late 2023 it might be good, but i really doubt I'll get it.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 10, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Part of the announcement is that Gotham Knights is no longer coming to old consoles.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

That just looked like a worse version of Arkham Knight with MMO stat management bolted onto it. :sigh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorningMoon posted:

e: looks fine-ish. It sure is another open world like City and Knight but this time with raidable co-op missions. Combat looks pretty clunky and slow, there's so many times when Dick hitting nothing or backflipping 3 times before he can do the next animation.

I'll take those acrobatic animations over Batman's 30-foot jumps to the next target. But some of Nightwing's flips in that footage don't look like part of any attack but the player moving around or dodging. It's kind of like Spider-Man, where there are different ways of getting to the next enemy including simply jogging over to them (hate it, I try to avoid at all costs) or using the dodge button as acrobatics to close some of the distance.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh this is out in five months

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1524020261800005632?t=Lq1LMhZ0vJThI_4orHzXVg&s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Having to write around the idea that each story beat could have any combination of four characters makes me think that it is going to be super generic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"And how will you be paying?"
"Credit c-- waitaminnit, how do I know this is legit?"
"I'm sorry?"
"Can I trust this? Like what if I take this home and start it up and it's Splatoon or something."
"I don't think that's even possible..."
"No. Where's Jim Lee in all this? I want him to certify this is authentic."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Jim Lee personally minted every single piece of gear you can collect in the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"I'm Jim Lee and I approve this transmog."

Speaking of, I'm hoping with gear in the game that cosmetics and stats aren't locked together. It wasn't mentioned in the gameplay preview and I was looking for it on the menus but the fact this collector's edition includes the explicit use of the term transmog is a good sign.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

"Can I trust this? Like what if I take this home and start it up and it's Splatoon or something."
Sounds like you got something better then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best gameplay experience by releasing on the consoles people can't buy to play the game on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Series S is easy to get, Series X less so, but not too bad. It's only PS5s that no one can buy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Having to write around the idea that each story beat could have any combination of four characters makes me think that it is going to be super generic.

They could always have every character in cutscenes which, granted, wouldn't do much to make things seem less generic, but it might help a little.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Maybe it'll play better than it looks?

JordanKai posted:

That just looked like a worse version of Arkham Knight with MMO stat management bolted onto it. :sigh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is this a sequel to arkham knight?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So is this a sequel to arkham knight?

I think it's set in it's own universe, it just weirdly lines up with Batman being dead in both (or "dead", at least).
The Rocksteady Suicide Squad game is supposed to be set in the Arkham universe, apparently.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

The best gameplay experience by releasing on the consoles people can't buy to play the game on

Endless Mike posted:

Series S is easy to get, Series X less so, but not too bad. It's only PS5s that no one can buy.

Some people are just cussed and ornery because of some FUD that happened like ten years ago, or maybe it's the small handful of exclusives. Gotta let it go. I did, and I'm way happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/CS11__/status/1524016314649616384

A lot of people on social media are upset at Jason Todd's Gotham Knights design, but I think it's pretty good. I think this linebacker look fits him much better than his comic appearance, and it helps differentiate him from Dick Grayson. The two are almost indistinguishable in the comics sometimes.