Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Every couple of months one of the grocery stores in town brings in full size, untrimmed, beef tenderloins. Last time I picked one up and cut the whole thing into steaks, vacuum sealed, and froze for future grilling.

I just got a second one, and I'm thinking instead of cutting up into filet mignons, I'd separate out the full chateaubriand cut and keep it whole. Does anyone have experience cooking one of those up? I'm thinking either: low and slow to around 125-130 then reverse sear it, or just do a fast and hot cook right off the bat.

I'll be using a pellet grill, because that's all I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I have an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder that I need to do something with before it goes bad but I don't want to fuss with it a lot...can I just season it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it in a pellet smoker at 225 until it's tender or is wrapping it at the stall the best option? I'm looking for low maintenance but I don't want it to dry out either.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

smg77 posted:

I have an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder that I need to do something with before it goes bad but I don't want to fuss with it a lot...can I just season it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it in a pellet smoker at 225 until it's tender or is wrapping it at the stall the best option? I'm looking for low maintenance but I don't want it to dry out either.

I had a slightly smaller shoulder I did last week which I cooked around 225-230. I chose not to wrap and in hindsight that was a mistake as the exterior was a bit dry and tough, and the meat not as juicy as I would've liked. It actually tasted better over the next few days as I would tear off chunks and heat them up in a covered pan with a few drops of water and some tallow. The steam and fat added some moisture back into the meat and softened up the tough exterior

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

I had a slightly smaller shoulder I did last week which I cooked around 225-230. I chose not to wrap and in hindsight that was a mistake as the exterior was a bit dry and tough, and the meat not as juicy as I would've liked. It actually tasted better over the next few days as I would tear off chunks and heat them up in a covered pan with a few drops of water and some tallow. The steam and fat added some moisture back into the meat and softened up the tough exterior

Wonder how it would work using Chud's foil boat method he uses on briskets

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

smg77 posted:

With pork, paprika is a must. Pork also looooves sugar/apple. I personally hate wrapping, it takes more effort and the bark isn't as good. BUT since you aren't brining, it may come out a little dry. Wrapping is known to counter that. So it's a tossup. I personally still wouldn't wrap.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

crondaily posted:

Wonder how it would work using Chud's foil boat method he uses on briskets

Chud's foil boat leaves the fat cap exposed so it can keep rendering down, if I recall correctly. The butt I had didn't really have any fat cap on it, so using a foil boat would've protected some of the meat, but left the exposed portion to dry out.

um excuse me posted:

With pork, paprika is a must. Pork also looooves sugar/apple. I personally hate wrapping, it takes more effort and the bark isn't as good. BUT since you aren't brining, it may come out a little dry. Wrapping is known to counter that. So it's a tossup. I personally still wouldn't wrap.

I should add that I also didn't brine my butt before cooking which would've contributed to the dryness, I just slapped on some S&P right beforehand. I was in the same boat as you with having meat I needed to cook before it went off.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 10, 2022

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

um excuse me posted:

What fuel do you use? An excess amount of air means the fuel isn't turning it into heat. You need a fuel that is more volatile, more ready to burn. Any number of things could cause this. Bad or old coals, it just cheap coals with a bunch of nonflammable filler.

Without specifically knowing, I'd try a different fuel.

Natural mesquite charcoal, it’s “Sonoran charcoal company” brand, but the chunks look better than the Royal Oak that I had last time. I will try that, and limiting the fan speed. Thanks!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sinburger posted:

Every couple of months one of the grocery stores in town brings in full size, untrimmed, beef tenderloins. Last time I picked one up and cut the whole thing into steaks, vacuum sealed, and froze for future grilling.

I just got a second one, and I'm thinking instead of cutting up into filet mignons, I'd separate out the full chateaubriand cut and keep it whole. Does anyone have experience cooking one of those up? I'm thinking either: low and slow to around 125-130 then reverse sear it, or just do a fast and hot cook right off the bat.

I'll be using a pellet grill, because that's all I have.

Reverse sear seems to be the widely recommended method. Kenji's approach looks pretty good to me (and now I know what I'm doing for Christmas dinner this year.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the consensus on Cowboy chunk charcoal? It’s been fine for me but I’d be interested in hearing how the rest of you all feel about it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Warbird posted:

What’s the consensus on Cowboy chunk charcoal? It’s been fine for me but I’d be interested in hearing how the rest of you all feel about it.

I had only used Kingsford briquettes when I first started smoking. Then one day I figured I’d give Cowboy lump a try. I’ve been using it exclusively ever since. Cowboy is readily available in my area, so that’s why I stick with it.

Less ash. Better flavor. The slightly higher heat worked better in my drafter old smoker. And it seemed to give me more stable temperate where I had to adjust the vents less than with briquettes.

I just got a WSM last weekend so it will be interesting to see if lump still works for me after I get a few smokes in.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Kalman posted:

Reverse sear seems to be the widely recommended method. Kenji's approach looks pretty good to me (and now I know what I'm doing for Christmas dinner this year.)

I followed Kenji's method for this a few years ago for a Christmas dinner, and it was easily the best meal I have ever had. The crust on this is so tasty and the combination of the crust and the tender meat is amazing. Adding a pellet smoker into the mix for this sounds like it could take it up another notch, I may have to try that for this Christmas.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Our old smokey joe gave up the ghost last year and we're finally looking to replace that functionality, specifically a portable charcoal grill for tailgating. My first thought is just to replace the sucker with another one, but is there a better product out there these days? I figure not as it's essentially just a small weber kettle, but thought I should check before just jumping back in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Carillon posted:

Our old smokey joe gave up the ghost last year and we're finally looking to replace that functionality, specifically a portable charcoal grill for tailgating. My first thought is just to replace the sucker with another one, but is there a better product out there these days? I figure not as it's essentially just a small weber kettle, but thought I should check before just jumping back in.

If you want one that's a little bigger there's now an 18" Joe in addition to the old 14" guy- haven't seen the 18" at any of my local retail places so you may have to order it online.

still pretty hard to beat from a price/functionality standpoint

also out of curiosity how did you kill a kettle grill

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you want one that's a little bigger there's now an 18" Joe in addition to the old 14" guy- haven't seen the 18" at any of my local retail places so you may have to order it online.

still pretty hard to beat from a price/functionality standpoint

also out of curiosity how did you kill a kettle grill

During our move it was poorly handled sadly. Ended up looking like a real pain to even try and fix and we weren't gonna be using it any time soon given the pandemic.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

During our move it was poorly handled sadly. Ended up looking like a real pain to even try and fix and we weren't gonna be using it any time soon given the pandemic.

I have taken a rubber mallet to my WSM and Kettle to fix dents from when I accidentally stepped on the lid and dropped the other lid off my porch. They're super easy to bring back to shape. I'm assuming its not like a broken weld or leg.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made smoked burgers with bacon, onions, mushrooms, and Swiss. Pulled the recipe right from HowToBBQRight. They were legit.

Never had a smoked burger before. Flavor was crazy good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am going to attempt to smoke beef ribs again tomorrow.

This time I got individual-cut short ribs (or something labeled as short ribs) instead of fatty rear end inedible Texas-cut long ribs.

I am nervous.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Which one of you is this?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is he worried about opening it to check it, it’s about to open itself

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is “wet aging” a thing in any conceivable reality? Even the name sounds too gross for someone to think it’s a good idea.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s a Mormon BBQ technique. Usually goes by “soaking” the meat.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

All meat that isn't described as dry aged is wet aged

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yes it's a valid technique for brisket. I usually let mine sit for 21-28 days from the pack date.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I use a special thermometer technique that gets the ideal internal temp, it’s called “sounding” everyone should check it out.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I use a special thermometer technique that gets the ideal internal temp, it’s called “sounding” everyone should check it out.

Will ask my butcher about bull penises next week :thumbsup:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Took my new smokey joe out to the ballpark for tailgating. We're definitely still getting back into the swing of things what with Covid etal so not as polished as I usually am at these things. Thankfully just a few of us so not high-stakes, but had a fun moment to share.

So we have some vegetarians in the group so I often do a mushroom toast, cook the mushrooms in a skillet on the grill and then do a nice sear/toast on thick-cut bread. It's pretty great and satisfying. We were going to do wings this time as well, but I forgot how quickly the smokey joe can go through a chimney of charcoal, plus how long things will take, so by the time I'm ready to go not only are we down to maybe half to a third of the coals left, we don't really have time to wait before we need to be at the game.

I semi-try and get the wings going, hoping to find a hot spot, I get 3 that are cooked through and fine, but nothing amazing. We gotta go though, so I keep the wings on the dying grill, cover it and leave for teh game. Now crucially here I left the bottom vent open (see still getting back into grilling, rookie mistake). We come back 3 hours later, it's dark, but the grill is still hot. Weird I think, but oh well, so I take the grate off with the wings still on and go looking for the coal dump. I get back to my partner just tearing into another wing.

Apparently they slow roasted over the dying coals for three hours, essentially confit-ing themselves over the coals. Reader they were perfectly bronzed, just as crispy as can be on the outside, but hot and and tender when you broke in. I gotta figure out how to do this again on purpose, and without having to leave chicken out for 3 hours and hope it's fine when I get back. Plus dialing in the heat so you get a nice even, smokey cook, without either charring the hell out of everything or not actually cooking them.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Congratulations, you have become the Bob Ross of grilling.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That definitely is a happy accident.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I’ve been cooking a lot of tenderloin lately, and this morning I was at the store and none of the filets looked very good at all so I decided to give Ribeye a second chance. The first time I tried it a couple months ago I was still figuring out how to cook any kind of steak decently and it wasn’t so good (except the ribcap which was amazing) mostly because I overcooked it like a jackass.

I was looking for these things: A very large cap, above-average marbling (for Choice at least) and decent thickness. This is the one I picked:

Did I succeed? Tough to see but it’s probably just about an inch thick - pretty good given that most of the others were at least a little thinner. I picked this one mostly because of the really big cap, but when I got home I noticed it had a muscle that definitely wasn’t on the last ribeye I cooked: the smaller circular muscle below the central part of the steak? Doesn’t look like it’s spinalis or longissimus. Then there’s actually a *fourth* part next to that you can see a little of (before the label blocks the rest of it) but I have no clue what that one is, either :o:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know anything about the different muscle groups you mention but that looks like a steak I would pick (as long as it’s decently thick)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s a little thin, looks fine otherwise.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Looks to me like the butcher got a little lazy and just cut a prime rib roast into steaks, or it was a smaller cow and to get to the steak weight they wanted they needed to leave on the extra muscles. Per the NAMP guide, looks like the extra bits are the complexus and either the longissimus costarus or the multifidus dorsi.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow, thanks for the info guys! Fascinating. And I thought that ribeyes were pretty much just steaks carved off a prime rib roast? Regardless it seems like this cut came from the front section of the ribs which is why the cap is so big and stuff.

And the steak is actually fairly thick (at least I think it is?) I loathe thin steaks and it causes me to reject like 90% of all the steaks I see at the grocery store out of hand…. Here, it’s a bit more obvious in the other pic I took:

I was actually thinking that maybe I should just trim off the ribcap off and make a little pinwheel steak with it? Maybe make two little filets with the rest? Sounds like it could be great and probably easier for me personally to cook. But it also might totally ruin this pretty steak if I screw it up :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m going by weight, under a pound for a ribeye like that means it’s a little thin.

If you’re worried about screwing it up buy a thermometer and reverse sear it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sous vide if that’s an option for you. 143f for an hour or so followed by a sear on something hot as the sun.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Air fryer at 225 with temp probe to 115 then sear is awesome for 1 person steaks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7096123859350523182

Good lord they want $440 for these things

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those are very sharp looking. Makes me wonder if I can paint mine to look like that and not have it turn to poo poo in a few years.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7096123859350523182

Good lord they want $440 for these things

Weber is the Apple of grilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Went to their website to see what Weber has been up to and Jesus Christ they sell a 26 inch kettle now. I always thought the 22s were pretty big already. Also my 22 WSM is $150 more than when I bought it 5 years ago.