Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Martman posted:

Words seem to be getting automatically switched in some absurd way. Beryllium = be, lawsuit = case, successfully = surrounding or something.

Edit: it seems to beryllium the lawsuit that I've been beaten

WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I clicked through to the article, hoping for an accessible explanation, but realizing it's probably down to weird physics bullshit I'm not equipped to understand:

quote:

The intrigue astir achromatic holes is thing that fascinates each abstraction enthusiast. The physics down it has troubled scientists for decades. These mysterious abstraction elements are known arsenic almighty cosmic engines due to the fact that they supply the vigor for quasars and progressive galactic nuclei. We whitethorn beryllium discussing the magnetic tract of achromatic holes, but achromatic holes don't person a magnetic tract of their own.

Well that clears everything up.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Well that clears everything up.

Those Finn's are really serious about NATO membership I guess

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think all the issues is that this is translated from Hindi as the original site is from India.

For those that don't want gabled English:
https://twitter.com/cosmos4u/status/1522302756719144962?s=21&t=FS4QmHalLzITP0JJ2Lpuxg

Mods please change thread title to We whitethorn beryllium discussing the magnetic tract of achromatic holes

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Mods please change thread title to We whitethorn beryllium discussing the magnetic tract of achromatic holes

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Android Apocalypse posted:

For those that don't want gabled English:
??

You're not making this any easier.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Well over 10 years ago while at university I came across this abstract

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00926239508404399 posted:

This study of 197 college student participants found that marital injidelity is signajicantly more unaccqtabk than dating injidelity. Mentended to be more lenient in their ratings of injidelity than women. Selfesteem scores were signijicantly higher fm individuals who did not become involved in dating injidelity than for participants who did. Howmer, self-esteem was not found to be a signajicant factor in whether a person remained in a current relationship in which the partner had been unfaithful.

Of course it's been poorly scanned from text. But it's never been corrected! Every time I find that this still exists I have a good giggle at signijicantly and howmer.

Unaccqtabk

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I clicked through to the article, hoping for an accessible explanation, but realizing it's probably down to weird weed physics bullshit I'm not equipped to understand:

The universe is, of course, very large, with lots and lots and lot and lots and lots and lots of charged and magnetic bits that swirl around and collide and interact constantly forever with whatever is nearby.

Given all of that, some day if you’re floating out there your anus will likely prolapse too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This seem relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k3Ip7Uqw6k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Otteration posted:

The universe is, of course, very large, with lots and lots and lot and lots and lots and lots of charged and magnetic bits that swirl around and collide and interact constantly forever with whatever is nearby.

Given all of that, some day if you’re floating out there your anus will likely prolapse too.

Wtf why didn’t they tell us this on career day in high school

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
So it's true what they say: in space, no one can hear your anus prolapse.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can. It makes a gentle, almost comedic "pop".

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Almost comedic poop. If you’re lucky.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love the new thread title.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RandolphCarter posted:

I have a magic eye vhs somewhere, it was very fun to watch while high.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Please do not post gifs of said magic eye videos without putting them behind spoiler tags though.
Turns out my epilepsy translates regular magic eye images just fine, but video magic eye stuff where its a moving pattern? instant nausea at best, couple of hours worth of postictal hangover recovery at worst. Either way, just dump some spoiler tags on it and give a heads up about not pressing it if you are epileptic.
Other than that, go for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

congratulations on living in the snow crash universe IRL I guess.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The what now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neal Stephenson novel about a dude who figures out a way to crash people's brains by exposing them to particular audiovisual stimuli based on ancient sumerian or something. Been a while since I read it, also it takes a very long time to get there and is "about" a lot of other stuff too.

Somewhat similar premise to the short story BLIT

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Imagine the libertarians won reality

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagine the libertarians won reality

That too, honestly the book is not really "about" its main plot as much as that is the long term narrative thread in between many cases where the book goes "look at this incredibly hosed up world"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh yeah that thing! I've been meaning to read that at some point. Just completely forgot about due to life happening.

But yeah, living with the wonders of involuntary unconscious breakdancing incidents is surprisingly chill, aside from the times where video games or the internet randomly try to kill me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We all wanted to live in Neuromancer but we got Snow Crash. It's extremely funny to me.

Google earth owns tho

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Snow Crash is mostly still a fun romp even if the libertarian dystopia is seeming a little less funny and a little more prescient

The pattern was something that could crash the brains of HACKERS though because they have trained their brains to see code or something, like the Matrix operators

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

involuntary unconscious breakdancing incidents

Gotta be the most whimsical term for epileptic seizures

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Bloop posted:

Snow Crash is mostly still a fun romp

idk what book you read but Snow Crash spends half its pages on a huge extremely historically inaccurate exposition dump about ancient sumeria.

also it's got a lot of questionable bits w.r.t. its portrayal of women and racial minorities. especially the portrayal of the teenage girl who gets sexually assaulted by a middle-aged man.

"fun romp" is definitely not the phrase I would've used.

If you haven't read Snow Crash, don't.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I tried reading a Neal Stephenson trilogy,it was the one around the napoleonic wars, and even though I am a voracious reader of such fiction, I had to give up half way though because it was so goddamn windy and bloatedly written. He's a good writer but he needs an editor so so much.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Gotta be the most whimsical term for epileptic seizures

Gotta have some fun with it. Otherwise its just a perpetual sense of dread and doom.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh yeah that thing! I've been meaning to read that at some point. Just completely forgot about due to life happening.

But yeah, living with the wonders of involuntary unconscious breakdancing incidents is surprisingly chill, aside from the times where video games or the internet randomly try to kill me.

You reminded me of that one video game journalist who pointed out that Cyberpunk 2077 literally uses patterns designed to induce seizures as part of their mandatory Brain Dance sequence, and totally normal and balanced human beings responded by sending her more.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

DontMockMySmock posted:

idk what book you read but Snow Crash spends half its pages on a huge extremely historically inaccurate exposition dump about ancient sumeria.

also it's got a lot of questionable bits w.r.t. its portrayal of women and racial minorities. especially the portrayal of the teenage girl who gets sexually assaulted by a middle-aged man.

"fun romp" is definitely not the phrase I would've used.

If you haven't read Snow Crash, don't.

Seems like your red text is pretty prescient.

You mean to tell me that a fiction book, set in "the future", has some historical inaccuracies in order to move the plot along? Shocking!

I don't disagree with the questionable bits, but I'm not going to cancel a novel because it has questionable bits in it.

Here, have a badass picture instead of my ramblings

This is a cobbled together machine used to literally blow out oil well fires.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uses the jet engines off a mig strapped to the chassis of an old T34 iirc.

Also I know nothing about the sumerian history stuff but yeah the sex bits are... pretty weird and gross and the book would be greatly improved without their inclusion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

slothrop posted:

Seems like your red text is pretty prescient.

You mean to tell me that a fiction book, set in "the future", has some historical inaccuracies in order to move the plot along? Shocking!

I don't disagree with the questionable bits, but I'm not going to cancel a novel because it has questionable bits in it.

Here, have a badass picture instead of my ramblings

This is a cobbled together machine used to literally blow out oil well fires.
Looks like some soviet tank in one of the Red Alert games lol.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Uses the jet engines off a mig strapped to the chassis of an old T34 iirc.

Also I know nothing about the sumerian history stuff but yeah the sex bits are... pretty weird and gross and the book would be greatly improved without their inclusion.

There is literally no book where sex stuff has improved the book, and the scifi/fantasy genre would be better off if editors replaced every weird author fetish sequence with "fades to black". I will not be taking further questions at this time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

IshmaelZarkov posted:

There is literally no book where sex stuff has improved the book, and the scifi/fantasy genre would be better off if editors replaced every weird author fetish sequence with "fades to black". I will not be taking further questions at this time.

Chuck Tingle would like a word.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

no

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

slothrop posted:

1. the part in question, in fact takes place in "the past"
2. the fact that it's a hundred-page-long exposition dump was my main complaint, meaning the plot is in fact NOT moving along

seriously, the middle 1/3 of Snow Crash is so loving boring

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DontMockMySmock posted:

1. the part in question, in fact takes place in "the past"
2. the fact that it's a hundred-page-long exposition dump was my main complaint, meaning the plot is in fact NOT moving along

seriously, the middle 1/3 of Snow Crash is so loving boring

Next you'll try telling us that the Mesopotamians song by They Might Be Giants isn't accurate and the ancient Sumerians didn't drive around in Econoline vans?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

marshmallow creep posted:

You reminded me of that one video game journalist who pointed out that Cyberpunk 2077 literally uses patterns designed to induce seizures as part of their mandatory Brain Dance sequence, and totally normal and balanced human beings responded by sending her more.

Oh yeah I had a talk with accessibility activist Ian Hamilton about that not too long ago, here have a link to the post I about that conversation in my little epilepsy thread (I'm very proud of having managed to turn my biggest weakness into a niche skill, sorry for the shilling/weird flex)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&pagenumber=3#post522720536

The part where people kept sending her more of that stuff could be due to either malice or ignorant referrals to similar content.

Malice because she showed a way for anonymous people on the internet to harm someone with repercussions (jokes on them, this can count as attempted murder if it hits her hard enough).
Ignorant referrals because people who don't "get it" won't realize that they are basically asking if it also hurts if they get punched in this similar but slightly different manner *punches*.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsQyMvPwtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666