Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You're in luck:

Basically, Clanrats replace losses at 1d3 a turn and stormvermin can shift damage onto themselves during a battle. which makes them pretty good to have a unit near your screaming bell or whatever

Man that's actually a solid upgrade for both of them, might actually pull my stormvermin off the shelf. Verminus Valor felt like the default pick for heroes if you wanted any long term survivability, being able to staple 10 wounds onto a foot hero for 135 points is pretty killer. I'd be betting Clan Verminus gets an enhancement that boosts rallies or that built-in d3 model recovery for clan rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Also they got rid of those garbage shield rules for them

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Deep kin vanguard box seems cool, but the fyreslayers just looks like 50 of the same dude. No clue how viable it is but just looks really unappealing to build and paint.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/08/sunday-preview-witch-aelves-spectral-hordes-and-the-defence-of-the-north/

It's ghosts and stabby elf books up for pre-order next weekend.
Otherwise it's mainly Middle Earth releases.

Hells yes. Defense of the North has been a long time coming. Bring on the easterlings!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

Deep kin vanguard box seems cool, but the fyreslayers just looks like 50 of the same dude. No clue how viable it is but just looks really unappealing to build and paint.

Welcome to Fyreslayers infantry sculpts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

Welcome to Fyreslayers infantry sculpts.

tbh it would be way WAY better if they would have kept the magmadroth in the starter

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Soulsnare Shackles done, now to paint some ghosts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/09/avenging-sylvaneth-chase-the-skaven-across-the-realms-in-echoes-of-doom

Rats vs Tree box set reveal. Definitely feels like Skaven got the short end of the stick in this case.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GW really doesn't want any money from Skaven players.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I don't understand the skaven side of the box at all, if you're a regular skaven player it doesn't have anything except the assassin, for a brand new player I guess it's okay but if you wanted to split it with someone and play it out of the box it would a total curbstop everytime.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Ech we don't know how good that skaven half is do we? We do have to wait for full leaks. On the other hand judging by dok vs nighthaunt and leaks in amazing twist, nighthaunt are getting a really solid tome but nighthaunt half is still kinda poo poo.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm quite tempted to get the Skaven half since I want to start a Chaos army eventually, so might as well be one with rats.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

GW flexing its control over the eBay market by effectively driving down the price of secondary market clanrats?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/10/the-mortal-realms-murderous-avatar-of-khaine-strikes-out-on-its-own/

A look at what the less cooler Avatar of Khaine can do.

This shot is pretty cool though, strong wrestling promo or cult vibes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Always being animate will make it much more playable.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Boy I hope they get rid of the pushed into battle rule.

lmao they did not. I can't believe it either. New Screaming Bell looks legit, tho

1 less cast and still slow as hell, but trades that for the ability to swap to a priest on a whim (pretty situational) and almost guarantees you get a free Verminlord summon if you shatter the bell at the right time. I like it.

What I don't like is the price breakdown of the new box lol. I did some educated guessing and came out to approx. $174 for the Skaven half and $250 for Sylvaneth based on webstore prices

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hope you got a Skreech model sitting around for the box missions to make use of the bell with, tho.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Did the bell lose its "No battle-shock tests" ability? That is kind of the biggest reason I take it so that my rats don't immediately run off the table when a good breeze kicks up. All the changes seem pretty good but that worries me a bit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

Did the bell lose its "No battle-shock tests" ability? That is kind of the biggest reason I take it so that my rats don't immediately run off the table when a good breeze kicks up. All the changes seem pretty good but that worries me a bit.

It did, but until we get the new battle traits and what is assumed to be a rework of Strength In Numbers, we won’t know how bad that is.

Well, I mean, it kind of sucks for the box set and means you need to be ready to spend a lot of CP on battleshock, but the book may make that less painful.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
A friend of mine also pointed out that the mechanic where the Mage becomes a Priest may solve this problem with new Skaven chants. At this point, I should just wait for the whole book before trying to figure anything out. Still I'm glad for changes, any changes, after playing with this book for so long.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Technically, RAW, the Bell doesn’t get a prayer choice as the scroll lacks Priest during army setup.

Which makes it considerably less useful to have it be a Priest, because Smite is a worthless prayer and Bless is situational at best.

But if it does get a prayer pick the entire calculus changes, tho Curse will be one of the top tier prayers for Skaven generally no matter what and a Plague Priest can deliver that already.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any idea what this guy is/ what edition he's from?

I bought him on eBay to use as a D&D character and would like to have a reference image for painting.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Professor Shark posted:

I bought him on eBay to use as a D&D character and would like to have a reference image for painting.

Looks like a Spider Rider.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Tardigrade posted:

Looks like a Spider Rider.

Yep, one of these guys (specifically middle right)

Wish they would give these guys a makeover and take them a bit away from the whole Native American thing. Spiders are cool.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 11, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Awesome, thanks

Feeling uneasy about the First Nations/ Native American inspiration now, though

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah this stuff is being kind of swept under the rug by GW in recent editions - both for orcs and goblins

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Awesome, thanks

The spider goblins are outdated holdovers from Warhammer Fantasy and kinda vestigial in the new goblin range. If you find yourself looking for other Warhammer gobbo minis there's tons of them under the Gloomspite name

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And if you need Spider Riders then Wargames Atlantic Offers a good alternative:
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/classic-fantasy/products/giant-spiders
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/classic-fantasy/products/goblin-warband

You can even get spiders, with guns!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Professor Shark posted:

Awesome, thanks

it's more apparent on your guy than the full models, as far as I'm aware no existing culture ever rode giant spiders into war

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Deified Data posted:

lmao they did not. I can't believe it either. New Screaming Bell looks legit, tho

1 less cast and still slow as hell, but trades that for the ability to swap to a priest on a whim (pretty situational) and almost guarantees you get a free Verminlord summon if you shatter the bell at the right time. I like it.

What I don't like is the price breakdown of the new box lol. I did some educated guessing and came out to approx. $174 for the Skaven half and $250 for Sylvaneth based on webstore prices

That sucks, what other centerpiece has that sort of arbitrary restriction? And barring new faction rules, the loss of the battleshock bubble was the trade-off of for it so its an even bigger kick. Not even a priest, though it can chant, so you can't turn it into a big curse engine like you could with the old furnace. I like the Verminlord rule in theory but now I gotta buy another $90+ figure to use it? Give me a break.

I've been pretty negative about a faction I absolutely love, I know fyreslayers looked sketch at first reveal and the battletome really tied it all together so I'm holding out hope.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/11/take-your-nighthaunt-on-a-magical-voyage-with-awlrach-the-drowner/

Rules preview for the new ghost on a boat. Beware his oar.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I read plague garden. It wasn't as good as I was hoping, but it was alright. The real kicker for me was the end, when

Gardus(audibook, sue me) looked into the center of the garden of Nurgle and it immediately genre shifted from comic-book adventures in a corrupt realm to a literal lovecraftian nightmare hellzone of millions of worlds, realms, universes and more all swirling around this vast cosmos orbiting Nurgle's manse corrupted and decaying and ruined for all time. Then a galaxy-sized Nurgle starts coming "up" towards them. That poo poo was wild. I also liked the Great Unclean One's actions, the whole "literally being close enough to speak to him like he's a person causes your armor to corrode and your skin to fester and boils appear" really helps sell the whole "these things are hosed beyond any measure."

Overall, it was pretty average. I liked the Dominion novel, but a good chunk of that is due to the whole "normal humans" thing. There's something about having normal people try to make it in this hosed up setting that appeals to me more than literal demigods with respawn mechanics do. Hope the CoS refresh keeps the Landshnekts!

How are the Gotrek books? I listened to the first audio play or whatever, Realmslayer, and it was fine, and 'good enough' but I'd really like a more concrete narrative. Also Brian Blessed's Gotrek seems way too happy? Gotrek is a miserable, brooding rear end in a top hat and Brian Blessed's interpretation seems to lean into more of a "Tally-ho! And Adventures Continue!" vibe. and I hate it

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 12, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Well if you want to see how mortals deal with horros of realms read Dynasty of Monsters they gently caress poo poo up for everyone .

As far as gotrek book goes, they are fine. Ghoulslayers has some decent descriptions of what Shyishian mortal kingdoms and their underworlds could be like if Nagash was not Hitler. Gitslayer is great because it flashes out both Gitz and KO societies and packs quite a bit of body horror.

As far as Blesseds interpretation goes - he sounds jolly but in character is still a miserable grognard. Sometimes reading his dialogue is like reading facebook/instagram comments with hompohobia and racism removed.

Also I will never understand the complain about having to have normal dudes in the story but yeah to each their own.

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 12, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Gotrek is still nigh permanently in a psychotic fugue it's just now he distracts himself with goals that aren't about outright trying to get himself killed mostly.

They are a little about outright trying to get himself killed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/12/jumpscare-your-opponent-with-spooky-nighthaunt-abilities-to-petrify-and-perplex/

Prepare for a Wave of Terror with the new nighthaunt rules.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Wave of terror will be pain with whole army always charging, all the time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I like it, it is way less swingy than the previous incarnation of the rule, which basically turned the entire army into a slot machine where you were trying to get a 10 to charge.

This one is more consistent - It gives you something on almost every charge roll, and the ability it gives on a 10+ is powerful but still less powerful than the previous one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's up with Nighthaunt?

I like the design of it, but I already have Ossiarch Bonereapers. This is a separate army, right?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
yeah, they're their own faction. they're ghosts, not skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a battletome for them? I don't see it on the official store