Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i have places to stay and ive been planning to move out of this region regardless. this is not my first rodeo

I do not doubt your resolve, comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/brynntannehill/status/1523647950324649984?s=21&t=uAwm4cS8lncbcJwo3c2BbQ

It really isn’t news to anyone in this thread but it is nicely laid out

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I do not doubt your resolve, comrade

lol, i know. ive just moved a lot and people always get real concerned for me. its definitely stressful but ive done it a lot both with and without jobs and now im older with a better resume and even less of a will to live so it'll be fine

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Today's Behind the Bastards is about Chrischan and quotes SA posts, we're through the looking glass here

I just read Robert’s new book. It was pretty good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You know what, I think I will do this this weekend:

https://twitter.com/InsaneLetterbox/status/1523842413588066304?t=ew8X4PFPxFQC8kGuAIYNeg&s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yep

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1524086738137800709

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't think of an easier out for Twitter if they don't want the dsal anymore, personally.

E: someone check to see if Tesla's stock was in freefall yesterday or today. Why announce something that we all knew you were thinking?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2022

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

he's lining up to be able to get even more countless billions from the federal government during a second trump term.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Remember when I was called insane for saying we should abolish the Senate.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

he's lining up to be able to get even more countless billions from the federal government during a second trump term.

honestly not a bad path to profitability

This also assumes that all the Dems would actually vote for it which uhhhh

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeFT/status/1524079448798101504?t=6BUrPTrRV1xtKj4ghM_25A&s=19

The hooting chuds will not abide by tweets being deleted or made invisible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spoeank posted:

Today's Behind the Bastards is about Chrischan and quotes SA posts, we're through the looking glass here

Interesting listen, although for an episode that frames itself as being about online harassments it kind of feels like piling on.

Skwirl posted:

I think the discussion is usually more about the implausibility/impossibility of doing such a thing through any conventional political apparatus, rather than the actual merits of the idea. Lots of people think the Senate is bullshit, I think you're in good company there.

To say "the Senate should be abolished" is tantamount to saying that our entire system of governance needs to be torn down and rebuilt. And maybe that's a valid take, but making it about the Senate kind of buries the lede.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 10, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

No, I don't. I don't think anyone here would seriously say that we should keep the Senate? Did that really happen?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

started re-reading hitchiker's guide bc it soothes me and im still in awe of how great a piece of satire this book is

quote:

"I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford. "It is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in."

anywho, any and all political apparatus can be torn apart overnight if people actually cared to. instead we have to wait for the slow and ceaseless eroding of their faith in all our institutions to do its job before they'll bother considering stuff like abolishing the senate

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

T-Square posted:

Hello, Nacho is also enjoying the fact that summer is finally here

Hello Nacho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

No, I don't. I don't think anyone here would seriously say that we should keep the Senate? Did that really happen?

Yes, people in an earlier version of this thread said it was extreme, General Dog specifically was worried about how it would cause the flyover states (my phrasing, not his) to have significantly less representation than the coasts.

I don't have archives, but if you can find the earliest time I said either "abolish the senate" or "the senate shouldn't exist" or something similar there were a lot of spicy responses to it. And I'm not talking about how it would be almost impossible to actually accomplish, which I concede.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've been a bidet skeptic much of my life, but I installed one for the Dr. at her house last week and gave it a try and must admit it was a quality making GBS threads experience.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
speaking of pooping, do y'all have total poop security in your houses? meaning, at least a bathroom per person? i finally achieved that with the house we bought -- 2.5 baths for 3 people. i never have to wait to drop deuce.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I have a sink with a garbage disposal

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We are a family of 5 and we only have 2.5 bathrooms. If I was rich, I would have my own bathroom. I really dislike having to share a bathroom with anyone.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Neil Armbong posted:

speaking of pooping, do y'all have total poop security in your houses? meaning, at least a bathroom per person? i finally achieved that with the house we bought -- 2.5 baths for 3 people. i never have to wait to drop deuce.

I share a single bathroom with my daughter, we manage but I have a feeling the teenage years are gonna really test that, with the most likely outcome being my complete capitulation

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

We have 4 bathrooms and it's pretty nice. Slightly annoying having to supply and clean all four but such is the cost of multiple bathrooms.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Neil Armbong posted:

No but I work from home and my SO doesn’t, so the poopin’ happens when I’m a) alone and b) on company time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

I've lived alone in a studio, yes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Yes, people in an earlier version of this thread said it was extreme, General Dog specifically was worried about how it would cause the flyover states (my phrasing, not his) to have significantly less representation than the coasts.

I don't have archives, but if you can find the earliest time I said either "abolish the senate" or "the senate shouldn't exist" or something similar there were a lot of spicy responses to it. And I'm not talking about how it would be almost impossible to actually accomplish, which I concede.

you referring to these posts?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3908796&pagenumber=1262&perpage=40&highlight=senate#post506925701
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...e#post509695867

the first gathered some rather boring replies
the second was ignored

gd's pro-senate reply is thus:

quote:

Well it was the foundational compromise of our country, everyone knew what they were getting into when they ratified or applied for statehood.

The fact that rural versus urban interests continue to define our politics here 250 years later just proves that it’s as relevant and necessary as ever.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

D-LINK was shocked by the suggestion, a lot of people agreed, and Mr. Nice had this answer to how scaling Senate seats to population doesn't just become a second House of Reps:

Mr. Nice! posted:

A senate that had the same proportional makeup of the house but maintained different election cycles, term lengths, and voting thresholds would probably be the best way. The distinct term difference keeps things like tea party swings from taking too strong of a hold. Keep it so only one third of the body changes annually. Then institute a fixed and permanent supermajority rule and you've solved most of the problems. This makes it still a separate body then the house with different political pressures, but it prevents empty states from controlling the country.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neil Armbong posted:

1.5 baths for me, my wife, and her sister who's living with us. It works well enough.

Ask me again in a week when her parents, her brother, and her brother's partner are staying with us. I'm honestly more worried about only having one shower than I am two toilets.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got too lazy and spoiled since my current office is a block away from a Safeway and a few blocks away from a fancy local grocery store chain but my new job doesn't have a grocery store in short walking distance. I'm going to miss the convinience of taking 15 minutes to get all the stuff I need for dinner, can't lie.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Neil Armbong posted:

I wish. We have a maste bed/bath mother in law apartment so when we have people over we don't even get total sleep security since wd have to keep the door open for bathroom access. There is a door to the bathroom but still a little awkard when you're desperately trying to prentend you're still asleep after getting woken up by your inlaws going to the bathroom.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

3.5 baths for 2 people. Living the dream.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

I called for the abolition of the senate too, so I question whether people called you insane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

you referring to these posts?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3908796&pagenumber=1262&perpage=40&highlight=senate#post506925701
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...e#post509695867

the first gathered some rather boring replies
the second was ignored

gd's pro-senate reply is thus:

It's an interesting pro-senate response, in that it entirely misses the actual divisions between the parties in the US. Sure, nominally the republicans are more "pro-farmer" or something but the division isn't really rural/urban, it's an economic and educational and racial split, and also, the rural states and counties run by republicans are absurdly poor and undereducated and white. Or to put it another way: arguably, the way the senate and the electoral college work is the reason the rural states continue to be poor and poorly-educated.

Anyway, I'll concede that a couple of people in the thread were genuinely opposed to abolishing/replacing/radically reformulating the Senate. I think the majority of the thread, other than those isolated voices, is either in favor of it, or uninterested in commenting either way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I think it's a bit silly because if you have the revolutionary control of the government and armed forces necessary to be in a position to abolish the senate you should be aiming a heck of lot higher then that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There won't be any changes to the senate without changes to everything else in the government, and the only people even close to changing the constitution are republicans, so....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This nation is irrevocably hosed. I do not envision any counter ever happening to the right wing propaganda machine because there's no money to be made in it. As a result, the game is rigged in their favor. States are gerrymandered to a point that supermajority D turnout still results in supermajority R state houses. The supreme court corrupt to a point that is absurd. The leaders of the opposition party tut-tut about a few old people being made uncomfortable by people chanting near their homes "please don't strip our rights."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Let’s all move to space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I bought an espresso machine and it was delivered today. I’m currently caffeinated to the loving gills, AMA

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neil Armbong posted:

At my last apartment in Wisconsin before I moved back to Iowa, I had two full bathrooms.

Anyway, I've lived alone for more than four years, so I always have bathroom priority.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Flying into Denver from LA always seems to have the craziest turbulence. Felt like I was on a roller coaster!! So wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elon Musk is doing his damndest to ruin that too.