Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Listerine posted:

Why did you immediately get sent back after wiping the team, do they not let you stick around and kill respawns anymore?

once you get 4 kills it has always sent you back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Many have gotten 7 kills in an invasion though :cool:

Also goodbye Freelance Trials, rest in piss, see you in like 6 weeks and not a day sooner

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's because the worm is a fat un-aerodynamic lump compared to other grenades

This is part of why it is very funny to use tho. THWAP - just flopping an angry explosive worm at things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Listerine posted:

Why did you immediately get sent back after wiping the team, do they not let you stick around and kill respawns anymore?

They never let you stick around after you get 4 kills, sticking around and killing respawns is something you do when some of the team is dug in and spawn is more convenient. To get the 7-kill medal you have to leave something behind that gets kills after, like a tornado or nova bomb heading towards spawn

haveblue fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 10, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Exhibition, the exhibition challenge and master ex challenge get massively easier with 3 changes to normal operating procedure. Two items in the third room and one in the last room made the entire experience significantly easier to manage.

I will say that my group knew all of the roles and we didn't bother hashing out anything apart from knight order so we knew who was pairing off with who in which rooms, but you can layer that in if you need to.

The safe spots will help with sherpas and reduce chaos but is mostly aimed at Master Challenge.

Third room:

Blight does whatever blight needs to do in this room, no changes.
VOG shield always goes right and never crosses.....why?

There's a spot on the left that is considered out of bounds or considers you no longer in the map at my red arrow mark that will cleanse and remove darkness from you. its on top of/around/behind some boxes. This allows the left team (Lasers 3 and 4 on a challenge run, providing both a relic and non relic read on that side) to operate totally independently of the rest of the fireteam. Off the break, bang a left, kill everything on the way up, stand in the corner, fire rockets/clear spawns, do your read and just continue clearing up to the door or the square area on the map.

VOG shield goes right because they don't need to help left. no crossing. Right goes normally however after the first set of glyph keepers while running up the stairs....stop and hop on the shelf indicated by the red arrow in the highly technical graphic above. The pathing and that shelf allows you to totally bypass that room which offers little cover and can get out of control rather quickly. VOG Shield, add clear (and other add clear if you send someone that way) do the first glyph keeper, turn up the stairs, hop the shelf and immediately move toward the red square which acts as a rally point for everyone prior to clearing room. Turn around and kill your hobgoblins, one spawn can be killed from the shelf and the other hob can bee killed by peeking around the corner. We found it helpful to bubble or well at the top of those stairs. VOG shield stays here and offers cleanse for the fireteam and is explicitly responsible for killing all of the adds coming out of the door that would funnel into the back of the 2 guys clearing hobs, adds and shooting doawn the stairs at the second glyphkeeper. Left team comes for cleans or humps the door as necessary.

We found this rally point to provide a safe space and much more flexibility in clearing the room. On master, my group wasn't super consistent clearing that second high room on right without using a token or taking way to long and we found this wayyyyy easier. The only failure point is missing a hob but if you keep an eye out its easy.

Even if you're not doing master or the challenge the cleanse spot on left keeps anyone from having to do any jumping or crossing apart from the blight.

Room 4

We found room the second set of glyph keepers in room 4 to be challenging and had people die when trying to hang out on the second center platform. Even in normal, its not uncommon to eat grenades, AOE or fire your own rocket into the VOG shield and murder yourself so we needed to figure out a better way. Very similar to the previous room, after downing the first set of glyph keepers and hitting the first reset, BOTH teams book it and ignore everything to get infront of the final door. You can have Titan drop bubble or a lock drop well to make your laser swap easier and keep everyone up and alive. once you reach the safety of the bubble or well, turn around and blow all the heavy and everything else you have clearing adds/hobs/glyphkeepers and you're done. We found this significantly easier than trying to live on any of the center platforms or having fireteams fight up their respective sides. If the last blight is on the right it also makes your blight boys life significantly easier. Again, be aware of where hobs spawn and you'll be fine.

I've found this to be the most consistent and supportive way to get through this although the rally points may be overkill for normal runs.

Master Notes:
Use lucent finisher, abuse heavy and profit
Related to lucent finisher, using the void "finishers make you go invisible" lets you be incredibly aggressive with your finishers and you can even finish a red bar if you're jammed up for a little breathing room. be aware that if you disappear though whoever is near you is going to eat that aggro.
Related to lucent finisher and void stuff, 1 pt overload grenades are very nice and you should have them equipped as well as both champ mods.
Lubraies Ruin dumpsters this encounter and I was initially very butt hurt my first adept weapon was Lubraies....until this encounter.

you certainly don't need to do all this nor is void required but it all does serve to make the whole thing much easier imo.

e: spellings

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 10, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We did exhibition challenge in 2 attempts on normal, it requires literally 30 seconds of planning and assigning roles to people. The cheese method seems like it would really come in handy for Master mode.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Welp, looks like I'm going to need some help with some things. Firstly, the Vox Obscura mission. I simply cannot do that on my own; there's too much crap going on and no respawns, so that's no bueno. The "Preservation" mission - apparently you can't do that solo and it requires knowledge of some of the raid mechanics? Would've been nice if Bungie told you as much. Either way, I'm going to have to hit up the Discord later and see if anybody's able to assist.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Preservation is fine solo. Only mechanic is you run around picking up the orange doodas when your cart stops and run back to the cart to deposit them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Grimthwacker posted:

Welp, looks like I'm going to need some help with some things. Firstly, the Vox Obscura mission. I simply cannot do that on my own; there's too much crap going on and no respawns, so that's no bueno. The "Preservation" mission - apparently you can't do that solo and it requires knowledge of some of the raid mechanics? Would've been nice if Bungie told you as much. Either way, I'm going to have to hit up the Discord later and see if anybody's able to assist.

I have to run Vox today anyway for my title, you can PM me here if you can’t find anyone on discord later :)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

haveblue posted:

They never let you stick around after you get 4 kills, sticking around and killing respawns is something you do when some of the team is dug in and spawn is more convenient. To get the 7-kill medal you have to leave something behind that gets kills after, like a tornado or nova bomb heading towards spawn

Or kill 3 guys and then with the last rocket do what I did up there. It’s been done :agesilaus:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Many have gotten 7 kills in an invasion though :cool:

Also goodbye Freelance Trials, rest in piss, see you in like 6 weeks and not a day sooner

I know you're hyped it'll be back in two week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Freelance trials is great I hope it stays around forever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Preservation is 100% soloable, the final boss is a bit of a grind with how much hp they have but it’s not very hard at all

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hackan Slash posted:

I know you're hyped it'll be back in two week.

Guh! I thought it was JUST zone cap, not zone cap + freelance

Boooo

I like to take friends to the Lighthouse all weekend long and that's hard to do during Freelance Week at my skill level. Ah well. They can just grind for rep with that fully sweet 50% Freelance win rate instead :discourse:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grimthwacker posted:

The "Preservation" mission - apparently you can't do that solo and it requires knowledge of some of the raid mechanics? Would've been nice if Bungie told you as much.
Preservation is a special version of the 1st 3rd of the raid. It is definitely soloable, and I say that as a terrible player who is bad. It's not easy, but there are no mechanics that require multiple players:

1st bit is to take out a savathûn mirage - just keep your distance, spawn in with a sniper / linear fusion, scout & rocket launcher of choice, you'll beat her eventually.

After a brief ride through a swamp, you get to a cart that will spawn a load of scorn. Kill the scorn, pick up the orange bits and admire the cool noise they make, once you have 3 orange bits drop them off at the cart until there are no more orange bits. The cart will then move to the next location.

The only bit about this that is complicated is that if you wander too far away from the cart while there are scorn, you get a debuff that covers your screen and eventually kills you. So stay near the cart while you kill the scorn. But it's not a darkness zone, so even if you die a bunch, you'll make it.

Eventually the cart will go into the pyramid, and you have to explore through to the next bit. You'll find yourself in a room full of symbols. There's a puzzle in here than can unlock a piece of raid lore and you can cheese it solo: find the hidden room, do the 3rd interaction and then the 1st (enter=melee, commune=interact & kill=shoot) and it will unlock the lore

The last room is the first raid encounter with the mechanics stripped out - take a sniper and smg, keep your distance, follow the trail of enemies. You can take out the 3 chieftains in the Room Of Many Horse Butts from range with patience.

Once you finish there are (3? 4?) little beheading blocks that will give you some Rhulk lore the first time you use them, and just the voiceover every time after that.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a puzzle in here than can unlock a piece of raid lore and you can cheese it solo: find the hidden room, do the 3rd interaction and then the 1st (enter=melee, commune=interact & kill=shoot) and it will unlock the lore

I think they patched it a few weeks ago so you can't solo it anymore. It now only counts the first thing a player does (punch/interact/shoot), so doing it requires four people -- e.g. it's now raid-only.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

ullerrm posted:

I think they patched it a few weeks ago so you can't solo it anymore. It now only counts the first thing a player does (punch/interact/shoot), so doing it requires four people -- e.g. it's now raid-only.

I did it a couple of days ago with three people. Enter also just means stand next to, not punch.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't forget that the Platinum: Trials contender cards can be completed in Iron Banner as well

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Grimthwacker posted:

As others have said, if you can't find someone, reach out to me here or in game as Colonel Rhombus#2556. We can knock em out fast. Vox I don't think I would have been able to get done solo underlevel without some understanding of what the constraints were and how to rush certain things during the timed sections, don't stress it. Preservation is just understanding that you need to stay near the skateboard until the ogre dies (I think) to get rid of Pervasive Darkness stacks, then collect bananas (can hold up to three: Overflowing Knowledge, just keep running buff back to the skateboard) until the skateboard moves again. The raid room part is just fixed without any of the symbol mechanics, you just go wherever there are enemies, clear em out, then move on to the final "boss" room. Vox is still like 1 out of 10 times I get the tank blown out from under me, not a huge deal to restart at that point, and once you're at the checkpoint it's fairly easy to rush the three locks to get to the boss. These are things I did solo every week for the pinnacles, so we can breeze through em.

edit: furthermore with just slightly more effort we can do the Preservation part of the actual raid to get you started on getting Spoils of Conquest, if you're interested. Just have to deal with 3 ogres per stop and constantly respawning trash, but once you clear the skateboard to its garage, you can grab the first secret chest for 5 spoils per character (and easy to cycle characters in once it's clear so it's 15 a week). There's also a way to get into the first secret chest of VoG for another 15. If you want raid stuff, I recommend you join raids because everyone is nice and happy to help, but just wanted you to be aware there's a slow path to like a kiosk exotic (aka Always On Time sparrow) if you're solo and patient (it would take 8 weeks of running both of these, but it really only takes like 20 minutes for the VoD intro and 5 minutes to get into VoG).

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 10, 2022

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Did they take the spoils out of the first DSC secret chest? I solo farmed that one for weeks when it was new.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Did they take the spoils out of the first DSC secret chest? I solo farmed that one for weeks when it was new.

Yes, that went away with WQ.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I thought the puzzle in Preservation was necessary to advance. I didn't see any enemies or exits anywhere. It was a bit of a struggle to get there but I made it solo just fine. I don't really mind missing out on the lore. But yeah, if that's the case I can do it by myself.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Grimthwacker posted:

I thought the puzzle in Preservation was necessary to advance. I didn't see any enemies or exits anywhere. It was a bit of a struggle to get there but I made it solo just fine. I don't really mind missing out on the lore. But yeah, if that's the case I can do it by myself.

Once you get the skateboard into its garage, a door at the top of the stairs opens. It dumps you into a giant room, and you need to fall inside a broken stairway on the right (way the gently caress down), you then move through some museum type rooms until you get to the raid encounter room (with all the doors and symbols ). There will be enemies to clear in the open , then one room on the left, then another room, then the center again? This opens s door to a giant platform where you fight 3 bosses in a room with two giant 8-assed horses.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

uwaeve posted:

Yes, that went away with WQ.

The 1st secret chest in VoD is easier and less time consuming than the DSC one was. You will die a few times to the darkness, but the respawns are forgiving so you can kill all three totems and make it to the chest with like 3-4 respawns, once you know where everything is. The only thing you need to kill is Savathun at the entrance.

Edit: Also, this is the last week to turn in IB tokens before they go away next season. I have like 8000 to go through, sigh.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hobnob posted:

The 1st secret chest in VoD is easier and less time consuming than the DSC one was.

It is not in any way easier or faster than solo farming the DSC chest when you could still cheese the frostbite debuff, which took them months to fix

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah early Beyond Light I spent like two days in conference calls deleting my titan and running the Cosmodrome intro and the DSC sparrow section. I had it down to like 11 minutes per 10 spoils. It got me Anarchy and Always on Time before I did any raids. I wouldn’t do it now that I would need the stasis crap over again but I hadn’t done any titan stasis at the time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I have three Exotic Engrams. What are good Exotics to get for PVE in that thing between the Vault access terminals in the Tower?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you mean Exotic Ciphers, try these:

Le Monarque is hot right now because it’s void and anti-barrier this season

Thorn is good in crucible. So is Jotunn but everyone will hate you

Sleeper Simulant is having a moment for boss dps

Leviathan’s Breath and Eriana’s Vow are both gimmicks but really fun gimmicks

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
For PVE exclusively, assuming you own all expansions? Witherhoard is non-negotiable, I think. It's not always the best choice but it's always at least good, sometimes actually the best, and nothing else does anything like it. Also its catalyst quest takes loving forever so you want to get it started as quickly as possible.

Other good choices are Le Monarque, Izanagi's Burden, Ticuu's Divination, and Ager's Sceptre IMO.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Ticuu’s is crazy good for any GM with solar burn, even more so when there’s a bow champion mod available.

Witherhoard is a solid choice for anything where you need to clear a lot of trash adds and is also a grief machine in Iron Banner (the catalyst requires PvP kills anyway).

Outbreak Perfected benefits from both the exotic primary and pulse buffs that released this season and is a dark horse DPS choice. Catalyst is a bit of a pain to finish.

Sleeper Simulant is solid for boss DPS and gambit invader deletion.

Ruinous Effigy and Lorentz Driver are both solid add clear weapons if you’re leaning into Void Bullshit but they’ve both also been recently nerfed. Might want to save one for Ruinous in case of good trace rifle mods next season.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmm if you have three Exotic Ciphers you must have 3 "Forsaken" Exotic Ciphers because the stack limit for normal ciphers is 1x

You can use Forsaken Ciphers to buy

The Last Word
Le Monarque
Ace of spades
Thorn
Lumina
Izangis burden
Jotunn
Bad juju
Truth

I would recommend them in that order as well, unless you Only PvP or Only PvE in which case there are some you can skip

EDIT I didn't see you say you wanted PvE only, oops!

Le Monarque is amazing for all content and often times a seasonal artifact mod will make it even crazier
Izanagi's is a very good burst DPS weapon and is good with an auto-loading rocket launcher as well
Thorn has a cool interaction with Warlock Necrotic Grips, but Lumina has a cool interaction with Warlock Boots of the Assembler
Jotunn fires a tracking explosive flaming gob of HATE and will probably have great interactions with Solar 3.0 next season

Truth is outclassed by other exotic rockets, Bad Juju just has the worst stats of all time, and TLW/AoS are almost literally PvP Only

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jotunn is my first rec for both pvp and pve

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Yeah the stack limit didn’t occur to me; if you’re restricted to Forsaken exotics then I’d go with Le Monarque or Jötunn. I gotta say though I’m a big weirdo who used Ace of Spades as a PvE daily driver for a while even though it’s “really” a PvP gun.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo yeah they're probably forsaken only. Definitely Lemon and Iza then, and I'd actually just sit on the third one until they announce what's going on with the solar class reworks, presumably in a week or two. There's a universe in which Jotunn suddenly becomes absolutely top tier in PVE.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

uwaeve posted:

Yeah early Beyond Light I spent like two days in conference calls deleting my titan and running the Cosmodrome intro and the DSC sparrow section. I had it down to like 11 minutes per 10 spoils. It got me Anarchy and Always on Time before I did any raids. I wouldn’t do it now that I would need the stasis crap over again but I hadn’t done any titan stasis at the time.
You can currently do the first 3 chests (gate, secret chest & confluxes) of Vault of Glass via the fireteam tab in the d2 app. Quite a lot of people seem to add listings for it. Be wary if they say 1st 2 chests because sometimes they either bounce or start the confluxes before you can get to it.

Esoterickk used to have a guide to doing the gate solo, but I don't know if it still works (quickly start the plates capturing, knock the heads off the minotaurs so they chase you instead of going for the plates, then run away from them until the gate opens). Not easy, but then you can at least go for the bonus chest at your own pace.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Many thanks to the folks who helped me with Vox Obscura earlier. Always good to have a strong GL in my pocket for whenever I need it.

Speaking of Exotics, I manged to complete my first Catalyst earlier, for the Huckleberry. I still have a bunch for weapons that I've never used (and probably never will), but Huckleberry's cool and I like using it a lot.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Look at this lovely-rear end take lmao.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Look at this lovely-rear end take lmao.

I like to bring people to the Lighthouse for the first time!!! And it's really hard to find someone to carry when they can just launch Freelance & put a rubber band on the controller for tokens

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I like to bring people to the Lighthouse for the first time!!! And it's really hard to find someone to carry when they can just launch Freelance & put a rubber band on the controller for tokens

It's fantastic for us that can't find the time to reliably play with others, or use a headset/make noise when we can play, or want to deal with some lovely sweaty third on the team criticizing every mistake, but still want to get some Trials guns. I love freelance Trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[bias check - I think the best part of Destiny is having a community you game with regularly. I also think going flawless and chasing Adept rolls is fun, & helping people to the Lighthouse for the first time is even MORE fun. But -I know many people only play solo, don't know what a Lighthouse is and don't know or give a crap about why some guns say "adept" on them]

Yeah there's aspects of Freelance that I enjoy too, but ultimately, Normal Trials has matchmaking, and Freelance has voice& text chat, so the only thing that separates Freelance from Trials is that you get new teammates after every game. Any week, you can be a chill lone wolf in Normal Trials or you can be a sweatlord on Comms in Freelance.

And in an MMO like Destiny, freelance activities just feel... I dunno, pointless? Can you recall anyone from the most recent Exodus Crash you ran? Or who topfragged in your last solo queue Gambit??

Seeing one little lonely guardian during the Freelance Lighthouse fly-in is like.. equal parts sad & funny when you think about how trials is supposed to be a way for 3 people to have a great time grinding rep & maybe chaining a nice win streak together