Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Does the Thunderdome block Jump before he gets the debuff, or were you placing it well to put the border between allies and his landing point?

I think it's actually a glitch, but yes if a Skyshatter lands inside Mesotes it'll still do zero damage. So if I see a DRG with a full LB bar and I have mine charged I'll hold it until they disappear then drop it on my group.

Easiest to see in my vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uszyOWSMHJM&t=190s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My guess for why Mesotes blocks Sky Shatter is that the game probably considers where you hit Sky High as the origin point of the attack and therefore outside of the invuln circle

Does Sky Shatter still do 0 damage if you move into the Mesotes circle first and then use Sky High?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I haven't tested it that deeply, but I'm not sure if that's correct? I can't say for sure, but at the very least the game considers the Sky Shatter "target marker" as the player's position for the purpose of holding the crystal in overtime.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

My guess for why Mesotes blocks Sky Shatter is that the game probably considers where you hit Sky High as the origin point of the attack and therefore outside of the invuln circle

Does Sky Shatter still do 0 damage if you move into the Mesotes circle first and then use Sky High?

Well, that's basically what it is. The jump is just an animation. You're mechanically still on the ground moving around, just invisible. If we could see the hilarious nonsense the engine has to do to accomplish certain things...

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i wonder if its because of the height aspect, like maybe mesotes isnt an infinitely high cylinder for once, meaning you jumping in from 30 feet in the air is the issue

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Per Mesotes' description, you need to have the Lype debuff active on yourself to be able to damage targets within the Mesotes circle. If you activate Sky Shatter outside the circle, it likely doesn't apply Lype to you before the Sky Shatter landing packet is sent, so you deal 0 damage.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Better guess

Sage PvP Guide posted:

Mesotes Effect: Negates all damage from enemies who are not under the effect of Lype

You would have to get the debuff and then Sky High/Shatter before it wears off. If you just jump in it probably registers the attack before it registers the debuff

efb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vermain posted:

Per Mesotes' description, you need to have the Lype debuff active on yourself to be able to damage targets within the Mesotes circle. If you activate Sky Shatter outside the circle, it likely doesn't apply Lype to you before the Sky Shatter landing packet is sent, so you deal 0 damage.

This would be my hunch. Testable by using it while inside Mesotes and see if the Lype dot falls off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish I was good with Sage in pvp because the few times I accidently made a good shield play, we won the game of it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

having used it on basically every DRG I've matched up against I still think it shouldn't block a sky shatter landing inside your shield, but I'll happily keep doing it until they change it lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i wonder if its because of the height aspect, like maybe mesotes isnt an infinitely high cylinder for once, meaning you jumping in from 30 feet in the air is the issue

You're not actually in the air for Sky High - it's more like your character model becomes invisible and when you hit Sky Shatter you're doing a point blank AoE much like all teleports in this game aren't true teleports and are just your character moving really quickly

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wish I was good with Sage in pvp because the few times I accidently made a good shield play, we won the game of it.

when I started out I would mainly hold it for any time the crystal was at/near a 50% or goal point, but that ended up leaving me holding the charge for a minute+ on occasion. some advice I got was to just drop it as soon as you can if a team fight is breaking out at the crystal, or any other time the crystal is just stalled out for more than a couple seconds.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
http://twitch.tv/bagelgooseff

Is it new that he got a Twitch ban as well?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also I started playing AST in CC, and after a few games I think literally the only thing making WHM a better job is Miracle of Nature. It's really drat fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only mods I need are mods that give me cool clothes to pose in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you! That’s very helpful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SA GOTY #1 FFXIV: no mods, some masters

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CJ posted:

http://twitch.tv/bagelgooseff

Is it new that he got a Twitch ban as well?

They issued a DMCA takedown on Neverland's kill vid so I could see them doing it to other people's YTs/Twitch channels.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kyrosiris posted:

it's going to have a chilling effect on streaming in general.

lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

SA GOTY #1 FFXIV: no mods, some masters

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What do you mean I can’t break the TOS and show it to hundreds of people????

I literally do not care if people use mods and plugins, I use mods and plugins, but you do have to have a little common sense that if we’re operating under don’t ask don’t tell, you can’t tell. Especially the day after a big “mods are against the TOS” post, which means that logically they’re going to actually do enforcement for at least a time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's fine if square can instigate a cheating takedown on a twitch account but brigading people can't, but the selective enforcement there still feels really arbitrary

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dear god please implement chat bubbles and fc name colors!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I did a couple quick Aglaia runs last night and this morning, and tried it with most spell effects turned off. Its still pretty tough to see non-orange telegraphs with just my own spell effects on (I was on BLM though) AND me knowing what to look for. It wasn't as bad as with full spell effects, but I can run the other 9 alliance raids with full spell effects no problem. I think the worst offender is the 2 lions, looking for the dots over their heads. 2nd worst was the 2nd boss, just seeing which portal he's tethering to at a glance.

Also, last night when I was playing AST, we had no melee dps in our group, so found the summoner who was always first on threat and just gave them all the cards, and they actually noticed! I was giving some to the DRK tank, but I tried to give the summoner the highest uptime I could. I started thinking, is there a way to track how much damage you've caused indirectly, by buffing people?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess it's fine if square can instigate a cheating takedown on a twitch account but brigading people can't, but the selective enforcement there still feels really arbitrary

Actually, I wasn't very sympathetic to the chilling effect thing when the consequences were limited to copping a suspension in game, but if square has permanent grounds to delete the twitch channel of anyone who ever streamed with mods if they ever feel like it, that's significantly more pressing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Moose posted:

I did a couple quick Aglaia runs last night and this morning, and tried it with most spell effects turned off. Its still pretty tough to see non-orange telegraphs with just my own spell effects on (I was on BLM though) AND me knowing what to look for. It wasn't as bad as with full spell effects, but I can run the other 9 alliance raids with full spell effects no problem. I think the worst offender is the 2 lions, looking for the dots over their heads. 2nd worst was the 2nd boss, just seeing which portal he's tethering to at a glance.

Also, last night when I was playing AST, we had no melee dps in our group, so found the summoner who was always first on threat and just gave them all the cards, and they actually noticed! I was giving some to the DRK tank, but I tried to give the summoner the highest uptime I could. I started thinking, is there a way to track how much damage you've caused indirectly, by buffing people?

ACT FFLogs tracks the buffs you give to others and gives you the extra dps they had because of the buffs.

e: thanks for the correction

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Moose posted:

I started thinking, is there a way to track how much damage you've caused indirectly, by buffing people?

Yes. FFLogs tries to factor in what people's buffs do for eachother's damage. Hover over someone's rdps, and it should popup with a box showing what their buffs added to the overall dps, and what other people's buffs gave to them.

Here's a random example:

You can see I gained dps through others' dance buffs, as well as Chain Strat and Arcane Circle. I gave out a bit through Battle Litany and Dragonsight.

If I was an astrologian, my cards would appear in the Given area.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

ACT tracks the buffs you give to others and gives you the extra dps they had because of the buffs.

FFLogs does that, ACT itself doesn't.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Actually, I wasn't very sympathetic to the chilling effect thing when the consequences were limited to copping a suspension in game, but if square has permanent grounds to delete the twitch channel of anyone who ever streamed with mods if they ever feel like it, that's significantly more pressing

Well Bagelgoose confirmed he got a twitch ban prompted by SE for quote "cheating in an online game", so...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Owned, IMO.

e: wait how long was the twitch ban

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
7 days apparently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a week ban from twitch and a week and a half ban from ffxiv is basically just a shot-across-the-bow warning. It sucks to be the guy who was made an example of but that's all it is: an example. He'll be back soon enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

a week ban from twitch and a week and a half ban from ffxiv is basically just a shot-across-the-bow warning. It sucks to be the guy who was made an example of but that's all it is: an example. He'll be back soon enough.

Yeah basically. Prob should have just been 3 days from each but in the end it's not a big deal tbh.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why take it out on one random guy rather than just say "We haven't been enforcing it but now we will so you risk getting banned going forward." It's very childish to just pick one guy to gently caress over.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
10 days is actually a really weird suspension length from s-e, since their 3 strike track is 3 days/14 days/forever. i assume theyre going for like "3 days for a first strike, and a week because we feel this is extra egregious".

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I were a streamer I would love being at the arbitrary mercy of square, generally one of the dumbest companies in existence outside of the small niche of this game under current management

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
okay but square has been like this for literally decades so why is it something to be shocked about?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not arbitrary from this point onward though, yeah it's stupid they weren't enforcing their ToS really until now but now that you can see they are just...Don't stream with mods??

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CJ posted:

Why take it out on one random guy rather than just say "We haven't been enforcing it but now we will so you risk getting banned going forward." It's very childish to just pick one guy to gently caress over.

It's banning a highly visible target as a warning to the others. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they'd do that. But just in case, it's because it is red meat to appease the people complaining, and (theoretically) serves to scare other people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I were a streamer I would love being at the arbitrary mercy of square, generally one of the dumbest companies in existence outside of the small niche of this game under current management

If I were a streamer, I would simply turn my third party tools off before streaming the video game.