Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm flush with Gold and Aluminum in my current turn. I have 2 of each volcano on the planet with the crashed satellite, so sending some back home is a breeze.

I have, however, I've run out of iron. There are 4 iron volcanoes on the ice planet, but figuring out how to get it back home is proving annoying. Considering building my first nuclear reactor just get the radiation and power needed for a interplanetary launcher. And if all the ice melts, I can launch that all that water back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

totalnewbie posted:

I always end up running out of metal :/

Also - I launched my first rocket but I could not for the loving life of me figure out how to get it back. I sent it into orbit and there it remains. How the gently caress does this work
You need to just change the destination. Click on the … rocket steering wheel thing, and click the “change” button in the destination line.

insta posted:

<bernie sanders meemee dot jaypeg>
I am once again reminding you that the farming station works for thimble reeds and cuts their water usage in half.
</bernie sanders meemee dot jaypeg>
If you use that station don’t you need to pump fertilizer in it?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You need to just change the destination. Click on the … rocket steering wheel thing, and click the “change” button in the destination line.

If you use that station don’t you need to pump fertilizer in it?

It's a solid (that's somewhat rare), with a dupe errand to refill it and generate the Farmer's Touch micronutrients. You'd need a single fertilizer synthesizer to keep up with ~14 plants, which would be 14 reed/cycle, at the cost of 2263kg pwater/cycle, plus 40kg dirt & 16kg phosphorite (who cares). This is a savings of 2.2T of pwater per cycle.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Okay, I fired up the old save and figured it out. Looks like the key thing I missed was clicking on the platform itself and telling the rocket to land on that platform.
(Send rocket to orbit around target planetoid, click platform on said planetoid, select rocket, land here)

Well. One of the mods I was using, airlock doors, is broken or needs updated so I guess I'll be doing that and starting a new save or something. But glad I figured out rockets and can actually get databanks consistently now. Thanks!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/140002-game-update-public-testing-506365/

New update incoming!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

well slap my taint and call me cautiously optimistic!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This is probably a good cutoff point to retire my current save, since I've been pretty burned out. I'll do a few more sessions where I open the temporal tear, I think. Just brute-force it with a manual radbolt generator.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ooh - oakshell.. now that's interesting. I'm, guessing it eats lumber and shits sand, which makes a pip planted tree a fountain of filtration material.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I got a pretty good roll on Oassise, even though it looked bad for 50 or 60 cycles. Started with little water and no rust or algae, so I started a small electrolysis setup for O2. Oxyferns weren't really cutting it, even for four dupes. All the water supplies are at the extremities of the map and of course I had to dig carefully to avoid scalding my poor dupes because, you guessed it, no reed fiber.

Now my base stays locked at 1.7kg/ tile oxygen and I can run five hydrogen generators with no issue

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Performance is the big thing for most but for me the real treat is:

Patch Notes posted:

Grooming Station and Shearing Station now provide husbandry experience.
Duplicants gain some husbandry experience when wrangling critters.
Wrangling speed is faster with a higher husbandry level.

FINALLY. Only getting Husbandry experience from hugging eggs meant either spending too much time setting up fiddly automation or dealing with too much power consumption. Now I can just overbuild unpowered incubators and be done with it.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

For me the real treat is getting another pip morph:

:love:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Are there Pip Plushies yet? I seem to recall Klei being really slow make Chester Plushies back when I was following Don't Starve.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
They don't have much in the way of ONI merch, last I saw. They cited supply chain issues as a factor. I want a longhair slickster, dammit :argh:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I don't want Longhaired Slicksters in game, why would I want one IRL?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh jay posted:

If I don't want Longhaired Slicksters in game, why would I want one IRL?

wow, blocked and reported

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

oh jay posted:

This is probably a good cutoff point to retire my current save, since I've been pretty burned out. I'll do a few more sessions where I open the temporal tear, I think. Just brute-force it with a manual radbolt generator.

That is a yikes amount of manual radbolt generator usage. It saves having to setup power I suppose.

If you weren't aware already, the 0/1000 radbolts on that building is not the amount of radbolts you need, just the amount the building can hold at a time. You will need 10000 total radbolts.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

That is a yikes amount of manual radbolt generator usage. It saves having to setup power I suppose.

If you weren't aware already, the 0/1000 radbolts on that building is not the amount of radbolts you need, just the amount the building can hold at a time. You will need 10000 total radbolts.

Not really into doing math, but I have a thousand cycles of 3-6 relatively productive Beeta Hives, so we'll see what happens.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

oh jay posted:

Not really into doing math, but I have a thousand cycles of 3-6 relatively productive Beeta Hives, so we'll see what happens.
Well, you definitely have the materials! It is only 400kg of enriched uranium in the manual radbolt generator, maybe a bit more to account for radbolts lost in transit.

You just need life support for the duplicants for 400 uses of the generator.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

Well, you definitely have the materials! It is only 400kg of enriched uranium in the manual radbolt generator, maybe a bit more to account for radbolts lost in transit.

You just need life support for the duplicants for 400 uses of the generator.

Oh, those require duplicant interaction? poo poo.

Okay, back to plan A. We'll go with sending tons and tons of phosphorite and coal and have autosweepers run weezeworts and the coal generators needed to power them. Basically what Francis John did on a recentish episode.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

oh jay posted:

Oh, those require duplicant interaction? poo poo.

Lol, Manual Radvolt Generator. Each of these stunning, hand-crafted, artisanal radbolts comes with a certificate of authenticity and a heartfelt, handwritten "thank you" note from the dupe who created it. Display it as the centerpiece in your home and watch your friends turn green with envy!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
very mild spoiler for new content

OH MY loving GOD, THEY SING NOW :kimchi:

There's also a nearly-as-good bonus for dupes within earshot

it's a tuneless little speak and spell voice too

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
why is electrolysis so OP?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Disposing of my oxygen is currently the biggest problem for me. I've got three SPOMs running right now, planning on booting up a fourth (And dismantling the first one so they're all in roughly the same place so I can run a power spine off them, the hydrogen vent, and the three natural gas vents I've got going on), so there's just... three sets of ducts ferrying excess oxygen to the surface and into space. I'm building more living space just so I'll have more dupes around to breathe. The additional workers is a side benefit, even if they are going to spend a few (dozen) cycles doing nothing but running on wheels.

The additional living space is actually kinda interesting, I'm planning this airtight pod with its own toilet and CO2 loop, accessed only through transit tube. Mostly because I'm building it above my access point, but also as proof of concept for later colonies. I have a pool of 70-degree water nearby (Which is only being used to run up and fill the toilet pipes on my lone rocket), so I may even install a hot tub.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dareon posted:

Disposing of my oxygen is currently the biggest problem for me. I've got three SPOMs running right now, planning on booting up a fourth (And dismantling the first one so they're all in roughly the same place so I can run a power spine off them, the hydrogen vent, and the three natural gas vents I've got going on), so there's just... three sets of ducts ferrying excess oxygen to the surface and into space. I'm building more living space just so I'll have more dupes around to breathe. The additional workers is a side benefit, even if they are going to spend a few (dozen) cycles doing nothing but running on wheels.

The additional living space is actually kinda interesting, I'm planning this airtight pod with its own toilet and CO2 loop, accessed only through transit tube. Mostly because I'm building it above my access point, but also as proof of concept for later colonies. I have a pool of 70-degree water nearby (Which is only being used to run up and fill the toilet pipes on my lone rocket), so I may even install a hot tub.

One of my asteroids I built the SPOM up in space, and left off one side so half the oxygen just floats into space, but I get all the sweet sweet hydrogen for power. Saves the wattage of pumping it too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Panty Saluter posted:

why is electrolysis so OP?

I’ve noticed this too in my current game. My two-electrolyzer SPOM just like yours is making way too much hydrogen, which i don’t remember ever happening before. It was almost filling up two tanks in the time it took to build two additional tanks.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The real punchline is that my setup is not a SPOM - not in the traditional sense anyway. That's all of my power generation for the main base. All those generators stay tuned up so I have 6 kW ready to go whenever. I've been running a metal refinery just to burn excess power.

The other thing I've noticed is that if BOTH sides of the system get stopped up it's not so bad. You'll get an insufficient O2 warning that doesn't mean much because your base is locked up at 2 kg/tile. However that is often not the case because your dupes are almost always breathing but once you've gotten the swing of automation you tend not to need a lot of power generation.

The answer (for now) is that I piped H2 over to my secondary base so they don't have to dink with generation. I also put in a big dumb battery bank in the main base and some automation to burn the excess H2 when the final tank tops up. The battery bank keeps the energy from being totally wasted, at least.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can fix this rather easily by extending the pipe that puts hydrogen into those tanks and sending it into one or more hydrogen generators. Either hook them up to your main grid, or to a lamp. None of the pumps in a SPOM can ever stop or it will break.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh all of those tanks ARE hooked up to the generators bro lmao

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Just had a colony implode. Game crashes after couple minutes

Rest in piss, Not Optimal Circumstances. You did well

Edit:

beyonder fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 10, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

beyonder posted:

Edit:

sounds like the circumstances....were not optimal

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Uh, can I use a rocket module to transport large amounts of water from one asteroid to another? You’d think the “large liquid cargo module” would be it, but it seems to have no pipe ports.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Uh, can I use a rocket module to transport large amounts of water from one asteroid to another? You’d think the “large liquid cargo module” would be it, but it seems to have no pipe ports.

There's a liquid input module that you build next to the Rocket pad. I think it's in the same section as piping.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

axelord posted:

There's a liquid input module that you build next to the Rocket pad. I think it's in the same section as piping.
Oh. Thanks a bunch.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh all of those tanks ARE hooked up to the generators bro lmao

Of course, sorry. I just automatically replied as if you were asking for help, not actually looking at what you had going.

beyonder posted:

Edit:

Isn't that map bigger then normal maps, or am I mis-remembering the sizes? Also, can you post the save game? Maybe it works for someone else!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
There's ... so much of the map still left.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Of course, sorry. I just automatically replied as if you were asking for help, not actually looking at what you had going.

Isn't that map bigger then normal maps, or am I mis-remembering the sizes? Also, can you post the save game? Maybe it works for someone else!

I use Neon Eden for the map size. Would upload but no one wants to rejiggle their mods, there's a lot of those required

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dunno-Lars posted:

It's not that serious, don't worry about it. I was just amused that the size of the backup makes it look like there's no output

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

beyonder posted:

I use Neon Eden for the map size. Would upload but no one wants to rejiggle their mods, there's a lot of those required

You might want to try loading the map with no or very few mods. It's likely that one of them is breaking the save and crashing the game for you. If it won't load without mods, then no need to upload it, as you are correct about rejiggling mod order.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Got a good four hours in on a new colony yesterday. Mods are the same as with old colony so its the save that broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I haven't had any issues with mods so far, but I only use three fairly basic ones (bigger zoom out, self sealing airlocks, and an alternate gas overlay that shows the density of all gases rather than just O2).

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 12, 2022