Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Q. Are We Not Men?
A: We Are Manchilds!

Not to date women half our age, are we not men?
Not to let our mothers poison our wives, are we not men?
Not to steal from our own children, are we not men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AceClown posted:

that has to be the worst emojii I've seen on SA yet

edit: in before "turn your monitor on"

don't sign your posts

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for backing my fiancée when she asked my sister to leave our shower over her outfit?

quote:

My fiancée and I recently had a couples shower. My family was invited despite some previous issues. The issues were mainly with my mom and her husband, not so much my sister (19). It was a little tense, but it seemed like a good olive branch because my fiancée will also be having a traditional bridal shower and didn't want them there.

It was a casual BBQ type event. My sister wore jeans, a white crop top, and pink sandals. I thought nothing of it, until my wife and future MIL pulled me aside and said that any type of white was bad form, and with the history they felt she was being disrespectful. My MIL pointed out that even if she gave my sister the benefit of the doubt, my mom definitely knew and should have stopped her.

We called my sister over and immediately she got an attitude about we're crazy and she can do whatever she wants. My MIL called my mom over and my mom asked if my fiancée was really this insecure. My fiancée said it was about respect and that if my sister didn't know she could at least take it gracefully. at this point my fiancée began crying and asked my sister to leave, because she was rolling her eyes. She said she is sick of feeling ganged up on and she knows my mom secretly wants to ruin the wedding.

My mom called us both loving stupid, and my MIL said my sister needed to leave. Suddenly my mom and her husband are yelling at me, calling my in laws new money for throwing too many parties, calling my fiancée jealous of my sister. Before I could even process my mom grabbed my sister and left, and now my sister has me blocked on everything. I thought I did the right thing but all of my friends have been giving me poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I…..don’t understand what’s happening there

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for backing my fiancée when she asked my sister to leave our shower over her outfit?

Am I the only person who started thinking this was literally a couple showering before I did a double take and realized this was yet another loving "give us presents" party?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think...? I'm siding with the guys mom? But it feels weird and icky?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I…..don’t understand what’s happening there

"Don't wear a white shirt near my wedding-related party!"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think wife and MIL went looking to pick a fight with OPs family and OP is a doormat but for his in-laws.

A nice twist on the classic I really expected the mom to be the bad guy with his buildup

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AceClown posted:

that has to be the worst emojii I've seen on SA yet

edit: in before "turn your monitor on"

:dunkedon:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

"with the history they felt she was being disrespectful"
"it was about respect and that if my sister didn't know she could at least take it gracefully"

:confused:
i think there is some background info missing here

either way, fiancee sounds like a lunatic and blowing up the wedding now was probably for the best

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Imagining OPs in-laws as those Italian Americans who don’t speak a word of Italian and think they’re mobsters

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

drat, everyone you know including yourself sucks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Biplane posted:

drat, everyone you know including yourself sucks

Except possibly "you're both loving stupid" mom

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Who likes seeing OP get roasted in the comments? I do!

AITA for asking my cousin to step down as bridesmaid?

quote:

Throwaway, names changed.

Me and my fiance Jack (29F and 38M) are getting married in a couple of months. I have 6 bridesmaids, including Jack's sister Mary and my cousin Cassie (25F). Jack has another sister, Anne (31 F) who wasn't invited to the wedding originally because of some family issues - this conflict has now been resolved and we later gave Anne a invite. Now, I initially planned to ask both Mary and Anne if they wanted to be bridesmaids, but obviously because of the issue with Anne I didn't end up asking her. Anne is now saying that she should be a bridesmaid as well, and while it's a bit last minute, I do think she should be bridesmaid since I was originally going to ask her anyway.

I still only want 6 bridesmaids, so I asked Cassie if she would step down so Anne could be in it. I told her I knew it was unexpected, we would compensate for her dress that has already been ordered and she was still invited as a regular guest. Cassie seemed confused and asked why I had asked her to be bridesmaid to begin with, to which i explained the scenario with Anne and that she deserves the spot more. Cassie eventually agreed - I thought that was the end of that, but some of my other bridesmaids said that I was being unfair to Cassie by 'kicking her out' and that I should apologize to her. I got mad at that because I didn't think I did anything wrong, perhaps not ideal but not wrong so i called Cassie and asked if she'd been badmouthing me to the other girls. She replied that she 'just said the truth' about me 'kicking' her out, to which I said that it wasn't her place to say it and I would've told them. Cassie argued that they had a right to know, I said that she was acting privileged and it isn't her right to be my bridesmaid. Jack and his family think I did the right thing by standing my ground, but my mom gave me poo poo for being harsh to Cassie, AITA?

(The reason I asked Cassie specifically to step down is because she was my last choice for bridesmaid anyway when I didn't ask Anne, and I've had some issues with her before)

Comments:

quote:

[–]dolomike_824

I can’t believe you typed all that out and didn’t come to the conclusion YTA by yourself

[–]baltimoron21211

Less self-awareness than a toaster oven.

[–]shawslate

I don’t know, that’s not being very fair to the toaster oven. Mine has a timer, so it knows when to stop, whereas OP does not seem to.

Plenty more roasts in other comments.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kuros posted:

Who likes seeing OP get roasted in the comments? I do!

AITA for asking my cousin to step down as bridesmaid?

Comments:

Plenty more roasts in other comments.

Good news! I think there are going to be more openings in her bridesmaid roster!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

what the gently caress even is this?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

this one gave me forrest whittaker eye

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

It’s called a slam dunk.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Akratic Method posted:

a dunk from NBA Jam

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Akratic Method posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s from downtown.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s from downtown.

He's on fire!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I think...? I'm siding with the guys mom? But it feels weird and icky?

Yuup

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Akratic Method posted:

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Is it the shoes?

YES!!!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Akratic Method posted:

dynamite going boom

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

El Spamo posted:

dynamite going boom

Accurate description of quite a lot of stories posted here as well.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for refusing to cook for my boyfriend’s friends?

quote:

{Throwaway because I know my bf occasionally uses Reddit.}

So last week, I(19F) and my boyfriend(32M) live in a apartment currently, and he decided to host a “Boys-Get together.” at our apartment.

I didn’t know this at the time, so I was kinda surprised at the sudden guests in our home, but I managed to shake it off as he kinda has a tendency to spring up things at the moment.

It was like a hour or two into the whole get-together when I was just sitting on the couch scrolling on my tablet when he pulled me aside, a bit of disappointed expression on his face as he asked me about the food. I was confused of course and asked him what he meant, to which he basically told me he expected me to cook something up for him and his friend, as I enjoy cooking and he wanted to ‘impress’ his buddies.

He also claimed he kept sending me glances and signals but I guess I never noticed.

I refused because I was tired and just wasn’t the mood to cook anything, telling him to do it himself or get take out.

After that, he just rolled his eyes and huffed and just got food from a fast-food place I believe.

Ever since that, he’s been upset and moody, claiming that I embarrassed him in front of his friends and the fact that he had to get fast food.

I’ve been feeling kinda bad as I guess it wouldn’t have hurt if I just made something, but I’m just conflicted. It feels like I’m making this whole situation overblown.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Piell posted:

AITA for refusing to cook for my boyfriend’s friends?

I(19F) and my boyfriend(32M)

OP posted:

He was a family friend, and so I’ve known him for a while and we kinda just clicked.

:stare:

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Why the gently caress are there so many stupid rules about weddings this poo poo is insane.

Also tampons are no more intimate than toilet paper, I would be perfectly fine picking up either one for a friend if I was headed out anyways it's really no big deal.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

When asked how old she was when they met

quote:

I would say around 15 or 14, we live in those type of small southern towns where everyone knows everyone.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Spoiling stuff that sounds bad but it's actually funny.

AITA for busting down my flatmate's door?

quote:

I know how the title sounds, just hear me out. I (25M) have been sharing an apartment with my flatmate Linda (27F) for almost a year now. She has a boyfriend Joe, but they don't live together because their offices are pretty far apart and rent in any middlepoint location is pretty steep. Now the walls of the flat are a little thin, so there is a tendency for sound to leak from time to time. While moving in Linda informed me that she and her BF are pretty "active" during the night which may cause noise. I usually have earbuds on and use a white noise machine while sleeping, so no issue there. Jumping to 3 days back, I had come back to the flat late at night. On my way to my room I heard muffled yells, followed by a man's voice exclaiming "QUIET". This was really weird so I paused and listened closely. I could hear Linda saying "No.....PLEASE DONT". I immediately thought the worst had happened, so I grabbed a knife from the kitchen, and kicked down the door. In front of me was Kinda, handcuffed with her Joe on top. They immediately started screaming at me incoherently and i ran out of the room. Apparently Linda and Joe have some really extreme kinks. Both came Outta the room, and started angrily confronting me. I tried explaining that from my perspective it was like Linda was being attacked, and honestly I went into flight or fight. Plus the police takes a minimum of 15 mins to reach anyways, which could have been a long time. Neither of them understood my point, and asserted that im the a-hole for acting like an idiot, and ruining her door. She's also suspicious of me now, thinking that I listen in on them which is absolutely insane! Now 2 of my friends are siding with her saying that (a) this is a common kink and (b) i should have called out from outside to make sure if things were fine or not, before taking any action. I thought I was trying to do the right thing under the circumstances, but was i being unreasonably rash? AITA?
Maybe give your roomie a heads up if you're yelling stuff that sounds like something has gone terribly wrong but is actually sex if you don't want them assuming things have gone terribly wrong. The mental image is hilarious though.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

When asked how old she was when they met

**banjo strumming intensifies**

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Solenna posted:

Maybe give your roomie a heads up if you're yelling stuff that sounds like something has gone terribly wrong but is actually sex if you don't want them assuming things have gone terribly wrong. The mental image is hilarious though.
Good roommate, idiot couple. Probably should use a safe word and let your roommate know because imagine what his roommate would have said if she actually was in trouble and he did not try to intervene.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

DeeplyConcerned posted:

**banjo strumming intensifies**

Me with the pretty lips squealing like a pig.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solenna posted:

drat, why can't these freaks just leave a dog cage out by the living room sofa to lock her in while he watches TV like normal people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solenna posted:

this guy needs a whole new set of friends

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking an artist to remove their signature from the art I commissioned?

quote:

Throwaway as I wish to remain anonymous from the artist (they are on reddit)

I found an artist I really enjoy and commissioned them recently. I want to preface this with the fact that everything went extremely smoothly so far. I am very happy with the outcome and the art is exactly what I pictured. Only one issue though. They left their signature on it. To be fair, it is small, off to the corner, not very noticeable. I just feel that it is unprofessional, as I commissioned them the artwork does not belong to them anymore. I asked if they will remove it for me and they seemed kinda annoyed and asked me if I read their TOS (admittedly, I skimmed), where it apparently states that they will not remove their signature. I told them what I said above, which is that I own the art now. They then told me I somehow don’t and then quoted me a HUGE markup price for “commercial rights” and they only remove their signature for that purpose. I said I don’t need commercial rights and tried to compromise by offering to send them $5 to remove it (which is utter bs in the first place, I shouldn’t have to pay extra for this). They refused and I had essentially told the artist that if they don’t remove it then I will simply photoshop it out myself (considering that it’s mine, I can do what I please with it). They then informed me that I will be blacklisted from commissioning them if I do so. Spoiler alert, I did it and now i am not to mention blocked from then as well.

AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking an artist to remove their signature from the art I commissioned?

Lol "I feel it is unprofessional" I feel like OP is a dumb rear end in a top hat

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
AITA for reporting a co-worker who wanted to set me up with someone then trying to apologize after i became interested?

quote:

It’s important to note that I’m (34F) a lesbian who isn’t completely out but I’m not completely in the closet either. I’m “out” when I’m with my close circle of friends. No, I don’t live in a conservative area….it’s just a personal thing and I have my reasons for keeping it this way at the moment.

So I work with a guy (31M). We’ve worked together for roughly 6 months. We aren’t close but I’d say we’re work buddies. We don’t follow each other on any socials but we do chit chat here and there at work about insignificant stuff. Our political views align so that’s mostly what we talk about when we do talk.

Last week we were walking out of the building together at the end of shift and he asked me if I was single. We’d never really asked each other anything that personal before so I was taken a back a bit. I’ve had plenty of men in my life hit on me and usually it’s no big deal to let them know im not interested….but I’ve been single for almost a year now and I’ll admit my relationship status is kind of a sensitive thing at the moment. I told him something along the lines of “sorry but im not interested”. He stopped me and said he wasn’t asking for himself. I was just trying to get to my car and leave work and I felt really annoyed at this point. I told him I wasn’t going to hook up with his friend and I’d appreciate it if he just left me alone.
He stepped back and asked me “what's your problem?” I told him if his friend was anything like him then I really have zero interest. As I walked away he said “no wonder you’re single!”

When I told all this to my roommate/bestie they told me my reaction was extreme and that I was the AH in the scenario. I felt he was out of line and doubled down.

The following day I told our manager what happened and that the whole event made me uncomfortable. The manager had a “coach and counsel” talk with my co-worker. That was yesterday. My co-worker has been radio silent with me ever since. I expected he’d apologize, but nothing. The manager and I are friends outside of work. She knows im gay. When I asked her how the talk went she told me I should have heard him out. I was confused and asked what she meant…..turns out he wanted to set me up with his sister. How did he know I was gay? He told our manager it was the Xena warrior princess screen saver on my desktop and his “gay-dar” from growing up with 2 lesbian sisters. She knows this employee somewhat well and gave me his sisters name and said to check her out on instagram…..yeah, she’s a 10. Walks that fine line between butch and femme perfectly and looks very liberal like myself.

Now I feel bad because not only did I miss out on possibly meeting someone but I was beginning to think I was indeed the AH and he just caught me at a bad time. I’ve always had issues interacting with men. The next day I planned on apologizing but he put in a shift change request and got moved to 2nd shift. I have his phone number but I’ve been blocked.

So, reddit. Was I the AH here?

AITA for selling shared items my roommate and I use, but I own?

quote:

For some context, I need to break my current lease about 3 months early. My roommate has known about this for 5-6 months, as my fiancé and I need to move to a new state. When my fiancé and I started planning this, I told my roommate immediately, giving him about 5-6 months of notice. He asked what I planned on doing with all the items I brought in, I informed him that I planned on selling them, this includes the washer and dryer (our unit didn’t come with any), dinning room table, 2 couches, a recliner, TV, tv stand, and media shelf. He had asked if I could leave some of the stuff with him, I offered to sell them to him, but he protested saying that isn’t fair. I bought these items myself, not asking for any money from my past or current roommates to split them.

Fast forward to now, I posted everything up for sale and items are gaining traction and selling quickly. The first things to go were the washer and dryer. When my roommate saw they were gone he got upset again, asking “What the F**k am I supposed to do?” I told him he could buy the other items if he would like, and reminded him I told him I was going to sell everything when the move came closer. He again thinks I should just leave them for free.

A new layer is that his mom has messaged me on Facebook asking what I’m doing and asking if I can leave stuff for him. Keep in mind my roommate is a 27 year old man. I was polite and told her that I gave her son about 5-6 months of notice, and that prior to my move my intention was to sell everything I brought in, but I did give him first bids privileges, that he denied.

AITA for selling shared items my roommate and I use, but I own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ibntumart posted:

AITA for reporting a co-worker who wanted to set me up with someone then trying to apologize after i became interested?

lol "I was an rear end in a top hat to someone because I was in a bad mood. Anyway, was I an rear end in a top hat?"