Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I have a question about a weird phenomenon I've noticed.

Every time I go on a long ride with friends we all get very chatty and oddly open about personal issues after the first hour. Like at the start of the ride it's "Hey how's work?" but half way through it's "I'm thinking about asking for a divorce."

What's going on there? It feels exactly like when you're a kid sleeping over at your friends house and you over share with each other while you're laying on the floor in sleeping bags. Do people just open up when we're working towards a common goal? Or is it the fact that we're together but not actually looking at each other that makes people open up?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

So is this a thing or do me any my friends just have brain problems?

Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

So is this a thing or do me any my friends just have brain problems?

Probably both,

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nwin posted:

If I can find a used one all the better, but comparing the 51 to the 54cm, it almost seems like the 54 would be better for me? It's got a higher stack which would be more relaxed than the CAAD, but again, I suck at interpreting this stuff. Any insight?

You would probably be fine on either BMC. The slacker head tube angle puts the front wheel further out, so toe overlap is less of a concern even if the reach is a bit shorter. What size stem did you end up with after your fit? If it was already super long, that’d be one reason to size up.

McCracAttack posted:

What's going on there? It feels exactly like when you're a kid sleeping over at your friends house and you over share with each other while you're laying on the floor in sleeping bags. Do people just open up when we're working towards a common goal? Or is it the fact that we're together but not actually looking at each other that makes people open up?

I think it’s the isolation of being out there, very small and away from the world. On bike tour, I really unpack everything going on in my head.

https://youtu.be/3VW-A-qMpww

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

McCracAttack posted:

I have a question about a weird phenomenon I've noticed.

Every time I go on a long ride with friends we all get very chatty and oddly open about personal issues after the first hour. Like at the start of the ride it's "Hey how's work?" but half way through it's "I'm thinking about asking for a divorce."

I don't have any friends I ride with because I'm a loser but I do ride with one of my sisters fairly often and our conversations get pretty deep. I remember reading once that conversations held side to side, like in a car, or riding bikes, working in a busy kitchen or something like that, can get deeper more easily due to the lack of constant eye contact among other things. I'm sure there was more to it than that like maybe your body language is concealed due to the physical activity.
E. for wrong quote

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife and I have tiny arms then, mine's half that size and my wife's half again. and all the old people I see riding here are using poo poo riser stems anyway.

Bigger sized road bike have longer stems by default. XL bikes came with 120mm for me.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

spf3million posted:

We already have a poster with a MegaMan avatar, it is confusing me.
I mean, they're not *that* similar. But you're also not wrong.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

If you have the breath to chat, you could be putting on the gas and dropping your friends. :black101:

Apr 7, 2003

wooger posted:

Bigger sized road bike have longer stems by default. XL bikes came with 120mm for me.

Makes sense, I'm a 50cm.

Lotta stuff happening with bicycles

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

solarNativity posted:

If you have the breath to chat, you could be putting on the gas and dropping your friends. :black101:

:chloe:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

solarNativity posted:

Sounds like you going off the front and doing your own thing is best for everyone

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Group riding with local cycling clubs is a blast. My policy is to not discuss work/career related things and most everyone seems to adhere to that too. We do get chatty about a bunch of other horseshit though, and I credit that to a mix of beautiful scenery and that runner/cycling high when you're several hours in. Like, at mile 40 lunch break, it is no big deal to have a deep discussion about the transcendental satisfaction of a seaside hot dog and cheese fries. Regular people poo poo.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Is there a current best basic not-dropper seatpost that: comes in 27.2mm, black, setback and infinite adjustment/no notches for around/under about $60? I got lucky with a $70 Thomson years ago but I can't find that sort of deal anymore

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dog Case posted:

Is there a current best basic not-dropper seatpost that: comes in 27.2mm, black, setback and infinite adjustment/no notches for around/under about $60? I got lucky with a $70 Thomson years ago but I can't find that sort of deal anymore

probably a used FSA of some sort

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Took my AWOL on a S24O yesterday:

Feeling inadequate.

Apr 7, 2003

PoorPeteBest posted:

Feeling inadequate.

don't like the way that headset looks

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

PoorPeteBest posted:

Feeling inadequate.
Dropped seat stays are everywhere these days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Had to abort my ride halfway through, this type of breakdown has never happened to me before:

2020 model and already faulty, not impressed

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haha, my 3 year old passed out mid ride on me today too

Biking is good. Extremely good even

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Epitope posted:

Haha, my 3 year old passed out mid ride on me today too

Biking is good. Extremely good even
When our oldest was still napping some days the only way to get him to fall asleep was to take him for bike rides. they'd moan cry and yell, then zonk out ~4 seconds after I got rolling every time.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Question: when they zonk out, do they get floppy and mess with your balance, or can you keep trucking?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

osker posted:

Question: when they zonk out, do they get floppy and mess with your balance, or can you keep trucking?

I had to choose between calling my wife or using a bungee cord to secure his flapping noggin, only knew he was out when a helmet started hitting me in the back.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Was thinking of trying to finish the ride, but once nodding off reached a crescendo we pulled off for 20 minutes to get some actual sleep. We've got the top tube seat ("shotgun"), which is my favorite little kid item by far. Everything else they're just strapped in, but this one they're actually using their body some

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Welp, apparently I'm in full on midlife crisis mode cuz I can't stop thinking about building a dumb fixie bike. I guess I can always stick it on the wall and call it art after never riding it?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fixies are a perfect city bike. Have one as my commuter

Fixie for the week, colnago between the sheets.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Welp, apparently I'm in full on midlife crisis mode cuz I can't stop thinking about building a dumb fixie bike. I guess I can always stick it on the wall and call it art after never riding it?

do you have a velodrome nearby..... :devil:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

tylertfb posted:

No, I’m in the suburbs in the foothills. Like I said, dumb, but I still want one.

e: I think I just want to do some bike wrenching. I’ve got all the parts I need to convert my mtb to 1x11 and I have next week off, so hopefully that scratches that itch.

Bike ADHD

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 11, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Build the bike. Move closer to a velodrome.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Convert your mtb to fixie :black101:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

PoorPeteBest posted:

Convert your mtb to fixie :black101:

Hope you like kicking rocks.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

McCracAttack posted:

Hope you like kicking rocks.

Pedal strike wizard, there has to be a trick
A pedal strike wizard has a drive train that is fixed

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The best part of mtb (descending) is also the worst part of fixed riding. Tracklocross though :shuckyes:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tylertfb posted:

:five:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
15 days off bikes since i managed to gently caress my wrist up and it felt amazing to go out and do 30mi today

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

osker posted:

They rode in a reclined car seat, but if you use a normal child seat on your rack, just make sure you buy a tall enough one then strap the back of their helmet to the headrest. They also make baller child seats that recline quite far now, it's what I'd use if I were stuck with a normal bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wpt2r7TeM

They'll never really mess with your balance when sleeping provided they're strapped in properly. It's when they get bigger and excitable ("LOOK PAPA A DOG!" as they throw you halfway into the oncoming lane) that you have to explain to them that they should chillax.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 11, 2022

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

I'm in exactly the same situation, but I want a Time Trial bike. We don't even have much of a time trial club scene over here, but I don't seem to be able to let it go.

I don't even know what they're like to ride, does anyone here use one?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Feels fast but can get hairy if you have poor road surfaces. A good money sink.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hoopy Frood posted:

I'm in exactly the same situation, but I want a Time Trial bike. We don't even have much of a time trial club scene over here, but I don't seem to be able to let it go.

The position feels really good when you want to get on the power, but the tradeoff is having to really crane up your neck if you actually need to scan for traffic and potholes.
It's very compromised if you're riding through lots of hazards instead of on a stretch of clean, quiet road.

When you really crank, you're barely in the saddle, just continously holding yourself up as part of exerting your legs into the pedals.

It's like a lot of sports cars -- really fun when you try someone else's but just kind of a burden to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hoopy Frood posted:

They fun, stupidly fast, climb like poo poo