Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

can you please add a detailed breakdown of all the tone woods? thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You forgot how much money needs to be spent on pedals (all of it), and how many fuzz pedals is enough (never enough)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I almost missed the section titles on dark mode. content seems great though

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’m confused. The new OP seems to indicate GAS is bad???? What the heck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You forgot to include how handsome and dreamy Justin is.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Did not see "Buy a Boss Katana" in large red text. 0/10.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i will say i kind of wish i went short scale for everything or for the humbucker guitar.

i basically want the easiest thing to fret so i can do all sorts of nutty chords for entire songs without breaking a sweat

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

I think finding the part will be pretty tricky. On-Stage has a part for something similar, but none are available: https://on-stage.com/products/view/10586

I think you might have to settle for a substitute like a nice rubber band or a scrunchy.

All the rubber stuff on mine is all cracked and falling off as well. Any ideas on what I can replace it with?

If not I might just get rid of this stand and just keep it in the case.

lament.cfg posted:

You forgot how much money needs to be spent on pedals (all of it), and how many fuzz pedals is enough (never enough)

Please tell me about fuzz…

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The only guitars I don't play are the ones in their cases.

Guitar casket.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What's the next step up from Fender Mustang Micro? Assuming it's some sort of an amp-in-the-box pedal and a Cabzeus?

All this modeling poo poo is cool as hell of you haven't paid attention for 20 years.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ColdPie posted:

The only guitars I don't play are the ones in their cases.

Guitar casket.

True but I only have one guitar…

luchadornado posted:

What's the next step up from Fender Mustang Micro? Assuming it's some sort of an amp-in-the-box pedal and a Cabzeus?

All this modeling poo poo is cool as hell of you haven't paid attention for 20 years.

It really is! I remember back in like 2002 or something getting some cheap Digitech multi fx thing and being blown away for a few months before I realised it sounded like poo poo. It’s awesome to see the technology has caught up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

All the rubber stuff on mine is all cracked and falling off as well. Any ideas on what I can replace it with?

I’d look for some scrunchies I think. Here’s a link: https://smile.amazon.com/Goody-Ouch...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

There are frilly ones too, which I’d almost be more tempted to try. Otherwise, depending on your household, running without a band might be fine as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Red_Fred posted:

You can probably remove it and try to get the inner diameter and outer diameter and replace it with rubber hose of some sort from McMaster Carr or some other materials vendor. Cut to size and slide it on there.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

good post, since its still in draft i hope you will accept a little feedback:

The images don't load on mobile, but they look really good on desktop. Can you put the section titles in the actual text too? That would make it more accessible to people with disabilities and serve as a backup if the images don't load for some reason.

I like that it has pictures. It would be nice to see pictures of the recommended amps. Maybe even pictures of the recommended books?

After the maintenance section, it might be good to talk about prevention of wear and damage. Maybe point out that environmental conditions like humidity and temperature can have a big impact on a guitar, and that the wood can change shape over time -- that's why Guitar Center always has a climate controlled room for the acoustics.

Maybe something about how it's a good idea (but a massive bummer) to keep an expensive acoustic in its case when you aren't playing it.

Maybe a warning not to put steel strings on a classical guitar? And on the topic of mixing up the strings, putting acoustic strings on an electric causes the pickups to be less sensitive to your signal, and this is due to the differences in string wrapping material. Putting electric strings on an acoustic takes away much of the volume from the wrapped strings. But the non-wrapped strings are comparable, because they use the same material for the core.

syntaxfunction posted:

Alright y'all I'll try to start writing some stuff up for everyone, starting with same basic topics and going into the niche. Full disclaimer I'm not really a professional in that I have been paid for music stuff (and production more honestly) but it isn't a job or career.

So it's all just my opinions and knowledge I've cobbled together over my life playing. If it goes in a new thread feel free to edit the poo poo out of it lol

is this post still coming? its not too late! (from my standpoint)

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 11, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hey nice work on this one! i like the movement of the inner voices in the chords :vince:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

luchadornado posted:

Boss Katana, unironically.

If you insist on a smaller form factor, either a Yamaha THR, or something like the HX Stomp.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I took a micro fiber towel and sewed it into a tube and slipped it over the metal bits to replace the surgical type tubing on one older stand I have. I have a lot of nitrocellulose finished guitars and that surgical tubing will eat right through it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hey nice work on this one! i like the movement of the inner voices in the chords :vince:

i don’t consciously sit down and voice lead my guitar parts as if they were chorales, but i do think i probably move in similar ways. or at least, i make my way through the diatonic order with lots of thirds or seconds. i really like chord progressions that are long and detailed. almost like a melody underneath the primary one.

this is just my personal view of things but i feel like people view movement as a statement, when in reality, it should be the default, and melodic resolution or chord phrase ends/repeats should be the statements. it’s a bigger deal to draw your line in the sand and say “this is all that i’ve said” than it is to keep elaborating.

and this actually doesn’t come from music theory books or anything, as much as it does realizations i had as a listener. longer melodies and chord progressions and variations kept my attention more, because i was on the hook til the end. and it works best if you develop stuff over the course of the song — for instance, the longer second chorus has a different phrase partway through.

the thing about songs is not only do they have chord progressions snd melodies but also sections of them, and lyrics. so you have to be careful about where you resolve and how strongly, because ideally, it all moves in lockstep. for instance, i don’t want to hear a melodic resolution on a lyric line that ends with a comma. that sounds awkward to everyone, even if they don’t articulate it like that.

i don’t think about theory very consciously while writing at all, as much as it is, theory kind of describes music to me and because of that, it allows me to know what i like and what i don’t in a given moment, and then pursue it with more clarity.

i think a good comparison to structure and variance is the monomyth, actually. the basic idea of “you start at home, you go somewhere, and you return having changed. familiar, but different.”

every time you resolve, the listener has gained more context and perspective. so either keep the initial idea going, or contrast it and vary it, because the second they have all the context, the song is over — literally, if the songwriter had the foresight to end it when they finished exploring all the ideas they had, or unknowingly, when the now-bored listener clicks play on something else. or they keep listening and think less of the song because it repeated itself meaninglessly.

sorry for the rambling but also writing songs is the best poo poo in the world and i love talking about it and thinking about it and doing it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

is this post still coming? its not too late! (from my standpoint)

It is, been "slack" (having seizures lol) so not done much besides outline and start fleshing out.

OP looks good, if I can suggest something make the OP and then reserve the 2nd and 3rd posts for community contributions so over time any good in depth posts can be quoted up front :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thumposaurus posted:

I took a micro fiber towel and sewed it into a tube and slipped it over the metal bits to replace the surgical type tubing on one older stand I have. I have a lot of nitrocellulose finished guitars and that surgical tubing will eat right through it.

This is a great idea! I have a bunch of micro fibre towels and my partner has a sewing machine.

Unrelated: what are thread favourite pedals power supplies? I didn’t really know this was a thing but sounds like it’s the best thing to do to avoid weird noise.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

important to add to the new OP: just because drop D makes you sound like Tool with minimal effort doesn't make you Adam Jones

(the best drop D riff is Ratt - Lay It Down)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kazinsal posted:

That’s a banger for sure

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

important to add to the new OP: just because drop D makes you sound like Tool with minimal effort doesn't make you Adam Jones

Maybe it's a little esoteric, but you could have a section about places to not get stuck. It might feel like you're set for life once you know the E- & A-rooted powerchords but you're really not. And drop D is even easier to get stuck in.

Otoh bands have made a career out of drop-tuned chugga-chugga so what do I know?

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Jonny 290 posted:

Do you know offhand if they'll do any baritone stuff? i love my long scale bullshit

29 or 30" tele would make me squeal

I bet they can. Look for polaris4music on fb and Ali express. Fb is where you can place a custom order.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
LG have you been studying counterpoint at school? I always thought it was fun to throw in a few bars of fifth species and that bit you wrote reminds me of that a bit.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Siivola posted:

Boss Katana, unironically.

If you insist on a smaller form factor, either a Yamaha THR, or something like the HX Stomp.

Why a Boss Katana over something like an Iridium or an Iconoclast+Cabzeus? There are a ton of reasons I'm eager to stay away from physical amps/cabs: I won't be gigging/jamming any time soon, back issues mean I don't want to lug heavy things around, physical space is somewhat limited in the house, etc. If it's a bad idea, I'll give up and just buy a drat Katana.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

New OP should probably include something about pick vs fingers if its aimed at players just starting out.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

LG have you been studying counterpoint at school? I always thought it was fun to throw in a few bars of fifth species and that bit you wrote reminds me of that a bit.

we haven’t been. skipped the chapter on it, he said it takes a long time to teach. i’m familiar with some of the ideas though, from HVL

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

luchadornado posted:

Why a Boss Katana over something like an Iridium or an Iconoclast+Cabzeus? There are a ton of reasons I'm eager to stay away from physical amps/cabs: I won't be gigging/jamming any time soon, back issues mean I don't want to lug heavy things around, physical space is somewhat limited in the house, etc. If it's a bad idea, I'll give up and just buy a drat Katana.
It's not a bad idea to build your own Katana out of pedals, it's just kind of an odd route to go when the market is full of products that do more amps and more effects, all in one box with a headphone out, for cheaper.

For a smaller solution I would sincerely recommend the Yamaha THR, I have one and it's great.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 11, 2022

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

luchadornado posted:

Why a Boss Katana over something like an Iridium or an Iconoclast+Cabzeus?

Those options are all more expensive than a katana and don’t have anywhere near the features.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think when I took theory in college we skipped from 2-voice first-species straight to fifth species, but spent about a month on it overall. The rules are dumb and very specific but also kind of nice and helpful, plus it reinforces cadences and things like suspensions in voicings. Overall fussy and very limited but good as an exercise.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

luchadornado posted:

I'm using at HX Stomp for headphone practice and I'm very happy with it - it sounds terrific, has pretty much all the options (amps, pedals) you could dream of, and it gets regular updates from L6. I originally had an Iridium, which is a much more streamlined/user-friendly unit, but the headphone out was much weaker. There are other Iridium-alikes on the market now, too, such as the Walrus ACS-1 and Boss IR-200; Boss also has its own line of higher-end modeling units (GT-1000, GT-1000 Core, GX-100) that are also highly regarded.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

good post, since its still in draft i hope you will accept a little feedback:

I absolutely posted it here as a draft for this kind of feedback. Thanks!

I didn't even think about darkmode, so I'll take another look at those headers for sure. Also, the non-header images are just imgur uploads of screen snips on my work mac. Any idea why they would be broken on mobile, or other hosting options for them? And when you say mobile, do you mean just in-browser on your phone or in the app?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The only images I'm seeing are the headers and pictures of a few guitars. I'm on mobile, using the android app.

I'm opposed to a new thread because, as I previously mentioned, this thread is most of my post history over the last 17 years and I don't want to start over with that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I absolutely posted it here as a draft for this kind of feedback. Thanks!

I didn't even think about darkmode, so I'll take another look at those headers for sure. Also, the non-header images are just imgur uploads of screen snips on my work mac. Any idea why they would be broken on mobile, or other hosting options for them? And when you say mobile, do you mean just in-browser on your phone or in the app?

It's the Awful iPhone app, which I have probably set to dark mode. The images load, but they are almost invisible against the background.

this stuff is very interesting to talk about, but i'm missing the right context to respond thoughtfully. it would help me to have a more concrete idea of what you're playing -- it's kind of difficult for me to transcribe this for some reason!

if you have names for those chords, or if you have a video where i could see your left hand, that would help me out.

massive spider posted:

New OP should probably include something about pick vs fingers if its aimed at players just starting out.

Good idea. There's a lot to potentially go into here. A while ago someone linked a long article talking about picking technique, but I can't find it in the thread. Maybe it would be good to link it in the OP? I found it again using web search:

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...-20+version.pdf

from https://www.tuckandpatti.com/tucks-corner

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i wrote out the chord names as i wrote the song but getting photos to this thread from my phone is really loving annoying so i don’t do it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll make some changes re: dark mode and finish up the writing (and editing) tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

I specifically left the FAQ part vague, and the idea is to treat it more like a Table of Contents. If someone wants to write up a huge post a month from now on something I'm not familiar with (eg, modelling or pedal order or "baby's first guide to multiscale 8-strings") I can add it to the FAQ like:

I don't want a huge amp and I sit at my computer all day, what are my options?
There are tons of ways do do that, [user name] did a thorough write-up of that here:

That way the actual OP doesn't get a million pages long with quote chunks, and the people who write those posts won't have to bother me if they feel like they need to edit or update that info (or if they disappear 5 years from now and someone else wants to write a new modelling post I can just update the link). Plus people can have ideas a 6 months from now and not feel pressured to deliver this week just because this week is when I have time to write the OP.

Really, I just feel like a well-done (and maintained) OP is one of the best things about message boards, and something Reddit and Discord have never really managed to replace. It's always nice to jump into a thread about Chinese cooking or buying a laptop and see the first post be full of good info and nice pictures and an edit date some time in the past year.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated, on the topic of amateur lutherie never really going the way you expect, I bought a GF tele neck and tuners and a nut and files and everything. Decided, this is the week I take this neck I hate off my CV and put a rosewood board on it. And it looks great! Tuners come in today so it isn't strung yet, but DID YOU KNOW:

CV necks are about 3/8 thinner at the heel than standard tele necks? For some reason? So my new neck sits 3/8 more proud of my body than the stock one and I find out today if either 1) I have enough play in my saddle to maybe make it a non-issue, 2) I'm going to get to attempt putting the hand plane on this heel to try and evenly take down 3/8, or 3) I'm part way to accidentally building a new tele kit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sorry to hear that, that sucks. :smith:

But related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmynK1ccfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Sorry to hear that, that sucks. :smith: