Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fun thing about illusion magic is it isn't just about power or skill, though Gus has plenty of that- it's about using it right. You don't just need to be able to make an illusion, you need to sell it too, or at least keep your foe off guard enough to disadvantage them. The coven head's plot almost went off without a hitch but for Gus, who knows exactly what to look for, spotting the thread- and the coven head's obviously made out to be the equivalent of a prima donna director. He overthinks things, micromanages his subordinates, and once things start coming apart for him he has a lot of trouble putting it back together. Gus on the other hand spends half the episode in basically an emotional breakdown but he improvises incredibly well regardless. Including using glyph magic- interesting that he's probably the only full-blown witch who uses glyph magic in addition to his own specialty, rather than to make up for outright lacking traditional witch magic. He seems to have a talent for it.

Does feel like they combined a few things that mighta been their own episodes, at least with Amity and Willow. You know, it makes sense that with only recently re-establishing their friendship proper, Amity is thrown off by how the dynamic isn't exactly how it used to be, with Willow being the bullied crybaby and Amity the prodigy, on top of having to spend time reconnecting. And to be fair, I think a lot of people are caught off guard with how Willow's a flat out physical powerhouse now. Taking out a super-abomination offscreen seems almost a cop-out but still a fun culmination of that. And it makes sense! Amity's magic is almost as physically powerful, and she helped beta test the things, she knows more than anyone except her dad about how they work and what their weaknesses are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still kind of curious when Odalia is going to enter the picture again and how she feels about the recent developments with her kids and Amity in particular (aside from a brief cameo during the Eda/Raine flashback episode we haven’t seen her since her debut early in the season)

And yeah, Gus definitely feels like the kind of underdog character who would probably be the protagonist of a series if not for Luz (and him recently incorporating glyph magic into his illusions has the potential to make him an extremely powerful witch in spite of his shortcomings)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun thing about illusion magic is it isn't just about power or skill, though Gus has plenty of that- it's about using it right. You don't just need to be able to make an illusion, you need to sell it too, or at least keep your foe off guard enough to disadvantage them. The coven head's plot almost went off without a hitch but for Gus, who knows exactly what to look for, spotting the thread- and the coven head's obviously made out to be the equivalent of a prima donna director. He overthinks things, micromanages his subordinates, and once things start coming apart for him he has a lot of trouble putting it back together. Gus on the other hand spends half the episode in basically an emotional breakdown but he improvises incredibly well regardless. Including using glyph magic- interesting that he's probably the only full-blown witch who uses glyph magic in addition to his own specialty, rather than to make up for outright lacking traditional witch magic. He seems to have a talent for it.

This seems like a good analysis / interpretation. Spoilering just in case Gus gets to use the magic of imagination a lot more than the "physical powerhouse" mages, since good illusion and showmanship require a lot of inventiveness. Not to speak ill of Willow or Amity, but they can sort of be the that ancient XKCD comic where the guy goes "what about more power" over and over, except here it's magic plant tentacles or whatever. It's cool and obviously powerful in its own right, but it's a different focus.

This show has fun characters :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting that nearly every character has a secondary specialty. Funny thing is this sees Willow use some Abomination magic, and arguably better than she did when she was on the Abomination track, while also showing off how powerful she is with her plant magic. Maybe hanging around Amity again rubs off a little. Also interesting that the coven head tries to forcibly brand Gus into the Abomination coven with the intent of crippling him magically, more implications that Abomination magic is one of the hardest and very few witches have significant talent for it. Also even the Emperor's Coven isn't willing to openly go against Principal Bump and the faculty forcing them to stop multi-track learning, considering Bump's response is to rally the students and staff into battle.

Rappaport posted:

This show has fun characters :3:

It's like one of the things that makes fighting games fun; designing every character like they could be the protagonist (or at least the antagonist) of their own story.

Also really did like the touch with Hunter almost immediately pointing out the meek, cowardly Willow as an imposter, because not only is their intel on her clearly outdated, he's never known her like that. He first properly met her after her character development, as the powerful plant witch and aspiring captain of a sports team who won his genuine respect and is one of the first almost-proper friends he's ever known.

Been said in some comic that the fun thing about improving yourself is that you change, and become near-unrecognisable from the person you used to be- and everyone you meet from then on will only know the new version of you.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 10, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if Willow’s a strong enough plant user to potentially take on Terra at this point. In any case, with Hunter ready to fight, Hexside turned against the emperor, and the resistance Luz now effectively has a small army behind her when it comes to inevitably taking the fight to Belos.

Also new idea: Luz goes home at the end of the series but some of the Boiling Isles gang goes with her, that way she can be happy with her awesome girlfriend, her basilisk, titan, & owl worm siblings, cool aunt, and two moms (though I could also see King accepting his destiny and becoming the new guardian of the demon realm once all is said and done)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

(though I could also see King accepting his destiny and becoming the new guardian of the demon realm once all is said and done)

https://moringmark.tumblr.com/post/683419055396470784

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drat it, I’m sad now

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, this show occupies such a weird place for me. On the one hand, it has some fairly major issues in how its myth arc has been paced and structured and has some really weird inconsistencies in its worldbuilding (This new episode just makes raises new questions about the Coven System, the level of control Belos' has over The Boiling Isles and how Hexside fits into all of this) and yet it still keeps me coming back and has me super invested in the characters. Seriously, seeing Hunter and Gus bonding was such a delight...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Man, this show occupies such a weird place for me. On the one hand, it has some fairly major issues in how its myth arc has been paced and structured and has some really weird inconsistencies in its worldbuilding (This new episode just makes raises new questions about the Coven System, the level of control Belos' has over The Boiling Isles and how Hexside fits into all of this) and yet it still keeps me coming back and has me super invested in the characters. Seriously, seeing Hunter and Gus bonding was such a delight...

I'm very much in this space with the show as well. It's always felt like it has one or two too many elements at play and the structure off the whole thing feels super uneven, but I'm also constantly checking the Lumity tag on tumblr for cute fanart so whomst the gently caress am I to complain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also counting the three specials that make up “Season 3” (which as far as I know we still have no idea how soon after this that’s gonna start) we’ve only got 6 episodes left now.

Granted, some of that is Disney’s fault for canning the show but hopefully they can make it work ok (especially since the last 3 episodes of the series will be about 40+ minutes long each from what I understand)

On another note, with Amphibia coming to a close this week I wonder if Owl House will be the last serialized show on the network (I think I heard somewhere that Disney was planning on moving away from that kind of stuff for whatever reason but I could be wrong)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, have some promo images for this weekend’s episode:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I need the Steve shirt immediately. It was made for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly it made sense to me that institutions like Hexside are still semi-independent of Belos' rule, give he's only been in charge for about 50 years, which isn't implicitly much by witch lifespans, while the Covens themselves and their heads especially are at least nominally loyal. Institutions like that have probably seen regimes come and go, while the covens are headed by people who owe their power and prestige to positions specifically set up by Belos. Humanity has learned all too well how quickly authoritarian regimes can be set up and become legitimate and feared while tradition and institution requires a LOT of active effort to put up even token resistance- and remember, before Luz, Hexside was all aboard with the single-track coven system being enforced hard, and that's building on how Eda set up a means of resisting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Steve is the best former Scout. Lilith. Down girl. Aww Luz and Eda.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was hoping they’d do something with Steve (also Luz and Eda finally join the resistance and we confirm that Darius is among them). I imagine the next step will be to meet up with Hunter and Hexside so they can build up their forces and start devising a plan

Looks like they’re finally pulling the trigger on Luz getting her own palisman as well so I’ll be curious what she comes up with (I’m guessing a bat, an otter, or some kind of bird like the rest of the Clawthorne family).

As an aside, I kind of wonder who if anyone was in charge of the Boiling Isles before Belos took over (the titans maybe?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 14, 2022

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

”Maybe if we had time for 20 more adventures, but we don’t.” Oof.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was not really expecting Steve and King to have an entire Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance B-plot.

DrakePegasus posted:

Concur, oof. Dana backing up that dumptruck of salt already.

"I'm starting to think maybe... I wasn't good at my job?" for runner-up Oof.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
meow meow

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shai-Hootulud confirmed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hooty is the friendliest lovecraftian horror you’ll ever meet

Also King’s dream at the start of the episode showed us a slightly different side of the Collector that seemed almost…lonely (also there are hints in the series and in some concept art Dana apparently made that the shadow being from Hollow Mind is not their true form)

Anyway, looking forward to Rebel Luz and what kind of palisman she winds up crafting. Hopefully Amity and the rest will hook up with CAT soon as well (if only so we can get some more cute Lumity moments in the 5 or so episodes the show has remaining)

Still no word on when “Season 3” drops yet I assume (I know there’s still two left in the current one at least)?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, was anyone getting some serious Henchman #24 vibes from Steve this episode? I hope he doesn't buckle his seatbelt in the finale...

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

KingKalamari posted:

Man, was anyone getting some serious Henchman #24 vibes from Steve this episode? I hope he doesn't buckle his seatbelt in the finale...

:stare: N-no...

DrakePegasus posted:

Disney did this show so dirty. I will never stop bitching about this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m hoping they can still give the show a decent sendoff in the two episodes and 3 specials we have remaining at the very least

Also while Amphibia ended with the worlds being permanently separated I sort of doubt the same is going to be true here (they fought way too hard to make the whole Luz/Amity relationship canon for one thing)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 17, 2022

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Thanks for spoiling Amphibia's finale, really great to find out in the Owl House thread.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackfish posted:

Thanks for spoiling Amphibia's finale, really great to find out in the Owl House thread.

Whoops, sorry. Fixed

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 17, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway apparently the creators already have a release date planned for Season 3 but won’t release that information until the current one is finished (the series will definitely end within the year at least)

Speaking of, with Amphibia over and Owl House about to follow it within the next few months or so are there any other upcoming Disney shows that look worth keeping an eye on out of curiosity?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Ghost and Molly McGee is very much aimed younger, and less continuity-focused, but it's got its charm.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Senerio posted:

The Ghost and Molly McGee is very much aimed younger, and less continuity-focused, but it's got its charm.

I'd actually surprised by the amount if continuity in that. But yeah that show rules. Ashly Burch is awesome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd actually surprised by the amount if continuity in that. But yeah that show rules. Ashly Burch is awesome.

Agreed on the second part. What’s the show itself like out of curiosity and is it still going?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The premise is that the McGee family moves to a haunted house, and the ghost curses Molly:

Scratch: Molly McGee as long as you are here, I will never leave you alone.
Molly: Wait, you wanna be BEST FRIENDS?!?
Scratch: Wait what no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9N-Ycr8U8

Each episode (or most, it's been a while since I've seen it) has music by Rob Cantor. Season 1 concluded but they confirmed a season 2.

It's a status quo-based show, but the status quo has changed a few times in Season 1 alone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds interesting (and Ashly Burch in the lead role is appealing as well), I might check it out then thanks

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Whoops, sorry. Fixed

No, not fixed. Fixed would be you changing your behaviour and thinking before you post. This is far from the first time you've been called out for stuff like this. Be better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

No, not fixed. Fixed would be you changing your behaviour and thinking before you post. This is far from the first time you've been called out for stuff like this. Be better.

Will do, sorry about that

Anyway, if you haven’t already I’d recommend checking out this guy’s channel as he does a lot of pretty good songs inspired by Owl House, Amphibia, and other media:

https://youtube.com/c/OhGeeezNotAgain/videos

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 17, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also have this cute official short they just put out:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yp_gOSGoplw

Apparently Disney’s been doing these “Chibi Tiny Tales” as they call them for a while now but is this the first one they’ve done for the Owl House?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 17, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also have this cute official short they just put out:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yp_gOSGoplw

Apparently Disney’s been doing these “Chibi Tiny Tales” as they call them for a while now but is this the first one they’ve done for the Owl House?

They did the Owl Pellet shorts during S1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeOCBycFbc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chibi tiny tales seems like Disney wanted to target the kind of audience that watched all those Mackey Mouse Spiderman Elsa Pregnant Funny Cartoons For Kids Injections The Joker Cartoons for Kids videos, but with an actual real animation budget and coherent storytelling

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, with Amphibia over and Owl House about to follow it within the next few months or so are there any other upcoming Disney shows that look worth keeping an eye on out of curiosity?
fwiw the current era of serialized cartoons is kind of coming to a temporary end as networks retreat back to safe status-quo shows. it's not that there won't be any serialized shows, but this previous generation of cartoons is all wrapping up simultaneously and leaving very little behind. if you're looking for something like Amphibia or Owl House, you will probably want to catch up on other shows from the 2010s. It's not just Disney either, it's kind of every network pulling back. Warner's upfront is today so we'll see if Cartoon Network/HBOM has any serial all-ages animation outside of Genndy's Unicorn show, but the Big 3 Networks are pretty much all rolling with episodic content otherwise.

the closest place you can find shows like Amphibia or Owl House is probably Netflix... whether it's She-Ra (ended), or Centaurworld (ended), or Dogs in Space (likely cancelled), Arcane (should still be ongoing), or Dragon Prince (we'll see beyond this season). but Netflix is also kind of purging a lot of animated projects right now and considers Boss Baby to be their ideal project going forward sooooooooo.... uhhhhhh....

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is Centaurworld any good?

Also according to the wiki Amity’s mom will apparently have a role in this week’s episode for the first time since her appearance early this season (aside from a brief cameo during the Eda/Raine flashback episode that is)

There’s a few promo shots here:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Clouds_on_the_Horizon

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Larryb posted:

Absolutely.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

There are some meandering episodes, but when it hits it hits hard. And they managed to stick the landing on the finale.
There are some studies which indicate that people only remember peaks and the very end of experiences, so by that matter it is quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

There are some meandering episodes, but when it hits it hits hard. And they managed to stick the landing on the finale.
There are some studies which indicate that people only remember peaks and the very end of experiences, so by that matter it is quite good.

Seems kind of weird based on the description, at what point does the show start to develop a plot?