Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

In this case there is only 1 correct anwser, “one of the earlier wireless protocols”: RFC 1149 - IPoAC

Or where social media began and should have probably ended, finger: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc742

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: think I figured my thing out thanks

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 4, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

have you ever worked with circleci? i've been considering gitlab but honestly circleci does EVERYTHING i want so loving well so far

CircleCI is awful and we want to get off of it.
They still have not managed to do stuff like "have a pipeline that only has a single execution at once" (without very hacky workarounds).
Triggering pipelines via API is not great.
Scheduled pipelines are also a bit of a nightmare. Especially re-running a scheduled pipeline has some weird edges.

Their credit model is horrible and if you end up purchasing too many credits, they don't roll over to the next year, which can leave you with six figures of spoiled credits if for whatever reason your growth wasn't as you had projected. You also can't do "pay as you go" and their sales org is entirely non-apologetic about this too.

The kicker is that they still do not have arm64 docker executors. Their workarounds are "well you can use machine executors, or self-hosted runner", but then you need to convert your entire pipeline to use docker-compose. And if I'm going to do that i might as well move to Gitlab or Jenkins.

edit: orbs also suck, i wish they had done something more like concourse where jobs are provided as containers instead of as a bunch of bash scripts

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It is very frustrating that there are still not any good options for hosted macOS CI. GHA's macOS builders are awful. CircleCI has much better macOS support but their core CI product is bad. Travis was good for a while but they died. Gitlab's is still in private beta. Xcode Cloud was designed to look good in a WWDC presentation rather than to be a usable product. Everything else that I'm aware of requires that you host your own builders, which is a gigantic headache.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Azure DevOps has hosted big sur and catalina agents

I've never used them myself though

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Github Actions uses the same build agents as Azure DevOps. Probably less incompetent sales than paying for them via Github, but they have the same problem of that there's seemingly one person maintaining macOS support as a side project and so it takes an entire year to add support for new macOS versions.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
We have a ton of MacOS builds and we’re right on the threshold between paying the eye watering amount to have someone manage the fleet for us or to have engineers in-house maintain it. We have datacenter space and will have some bare metal needs no matter what so it doesn’t seem like a huge added expense given we could repurpose hundreds of our old MacBooks for CI and toss them out over time even. MacStadium and MacVault are both unable to meet our capacity needs it appears so we may have no choice. We can’t wait on cloud vendors to update their infrastructure normally either.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
GitHub actions are very slow for Mac.

We use a bunch of Mac minis and orca right now, it's pretty fast and usable. All the hosted solutions are so bad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I recently had to do some extremely hacky poo poo for a POC demo, got me thinking

If you have a long lived public cluster, what's stopping someone from generating a kubeconfig for an existing service account that already has cluster-admin (or near it) and then exporting it via cell phone photo or whatever. Base64 encoded a single token based kubeconfig is right at about 1000 characters string. It's long but not that long to key in manually. These things never expire and bypass SSO. Once you're in, prod clusters often have way more access than they need you could casually pwn most companies weeks if not months after getting let go from most any VPN provider

:tinfoil:

I guess you could trail the logs for an event like this but I've never read about anyone setting this kind of alert up as a first line of defense, like fail2ban is for traditional servers

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 6, 2022

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
dehumanize yourself and face to Jenkins

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Github Actions uses the same build agents as Azure DevOps.

It's a fork. They've diverged quite a bit, but I don't know how applicable the divergence is to this particular case.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

my homie dhall posted:

After some time with Azure DevOps I can safely say Jenkins is not the biggest piece of junk in the CI/CD space.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's a fork. They've diverged quite a bit, but I don't know how applicable the divergence is to this particular case.

The build systems may have diverged but the build agents are identical. When you click through the Azure DevOps documentation about what's installed on the runners, it takes you to the GitHub Actions repo.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

The build systems may have diverged but the build agents are identical. When you click through the Azure DevOps documentation about what's installed on the runners, it takes you to the GitHub Actions repo.

What's installed on the hosted machines used to run builds isn't the same thing as the agent software itself. It's a fork, unless something has changed since the last time I talked to the team at Microsoft. Actions has a different YAML capabilities and additional functionality not present in Pipelines, necessitating a fork of the agent software. There may still be a common core but they are definitely evolving independently

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The agent software is not what I was referring to or the problem with GHA on macOS. It is the machines and the software they have installed on those machines.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

luminalflux posted:

CircleCI is awful and we want to get off of it.
They still have not managed to do stuff like "have a pipeline that only has a single execution at once" (without very hacky workarounds).
Triggering pipelines via API is not great.
Scheduled pipelines are also a bit of a nightmare. Especially re-running a scheduled pipeline has some weird edges.

Their credit model is horrible and if you end up purchasing too many credits, they don't roll over to the next year, which can leave you with six figures of spoiled credits if for whatever reason your growth wasn't as you had projected. You also can't do "pay as you go" and their sales org is entirely non-apologetic about this too.

The kicker is that they still do not have arm64 docker executors. Their workarounds are "well you can use machine executors, or self-hosted runner", but then you need to convert your entire pipeline to use docker-compose. And if I'm going to do that i might as well move to Gitlab or Jenkins.

edit: orbs also suck, i wish they had done something more like concourse where jobs are provided as containers instead of as a bunch of bash scripts

you should use the enterprise on-prem version if you can, i dont think the credits issue or invoking the api sucking is as bad

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

you should use the enterprise on-prem version if you can, i dont think the credits issue or invoking the api sucking is as bad

Docker executors are not available for self-hosted runners. If i'm going to redo my 2 kloc CI definition to fit another executor, i might as well convert it to Gitlab or Jenkins.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

GitLab is good. do NOT use Jenkins lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

GitLab is good.

If it would be a bit snappier would be wonderful. On a VM with 2 CPUs (4 cores each) and 16GB of RAM (it's overkill but I just added hardware to it to see if it makes a difference) it still takes 5 seconds to display the first page. And I'm the only user of the system. Feature-wise it's fine. But drat, it barely moves. Maybe it would like SSDs, maybe it would like a real machine, dunno really.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Lady Radia posted:

GitLab is good. do NOT use Jenkins lol

Found the GitLab sales rep.

It's ok, I wouldn't call it "good". The fact that it allows you to isolate your runners away from the segment that the GitLab solution runs within is nice, but the stupidity of their YAML is on-par with how bad CircleCI is if not worse. Sure you have the ability of defining workloads a bit more dynamically, but it comes with a cost. Their official documentation constantly pushes for anti-patterns in CICD workflows, and are very opinionated towards everything within the stack existing in their solution. Want/Need something that is beyond their scope, good f'n luck integrating with their poo poo successfully without opening a gaping hole in your pipeline.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gitlab, for when you want to manage k8s to run your CI!

ps all ci mostly suck

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've paid for gitlab for years, but are moving to the CE release this year because the price is going up and puts it out of our budget. How owned are we gonna be?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

drunk mutt posted:

Found the GitLab sales rep.

It's ok, I wouldn't call it "good". The fact that it allows you to isolate your runners away from the segment that the GitLab solution runs within is nice, but the stupidity of their YAML is on-par with how bad CircleCI is if not worse. Sure you have the ability of defining workloads a bit more dynamically, but it comes with a cost. Their official documentation constantly pushes for anti-patterns in CICD workflows, and are very opinionated towards everything within the stack existing in their solution. Want/Need something that is beyond their scope, good f'n luck integrating with their poo poo successfully without opening a gaping hole in your pipeline.

Starting to sound like all CI sucks. I used to use Concourse when I was at CloudFoundry, which has some very nice concepts like every task being a container with 3 defined commands and you can string together fairly complex pipeline with it. However it is inherently not built for working with PRs the way literally every other CI system is, because that is not how Pivotal works

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Volguus posted:

If it would be a bit snappier would be wonderful. On a VM with 2 CPUs (4 cores each) and 16GB of RAM (it's overkill but I just added hardware to it to see if it makes a difference) it still takes 5 seconds to display the first page. And I'm the only user of the system. Feature-wise it's fine. But drat, it barely moves. Maybe it would like SSDs, maybe it would like a real machine, dunno really.

Yeah, it probably needs a SSD, as I've got Gitlab running it on VM with 4 cores total with 16GB of RAM and pages load pretty much instantly. I've had zero issues with Gitlab so far and I'm looking forward to the day when I can take a shotgun to the crusty old Jenkins environment that lingers because one team keeps using it.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

my homie dhall posted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

On long enough timelines, usage of any other CI platform degenerates into a worse form of Jenkins

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

my homie dhall posted:

On long enough timelines, usage of any other CI platform degenerates into a worse form of Jenkins

sadly true

tangentially related: jira has so many features now it only takes a year or two before a junior project manager comes along, gets admin and morphs what should be a simple, effective ticketing system into a hot pile of garbage

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's important to stress that when anyone here is saying "Gitlab is good", what they're really saying is that it sucks the least.

I certainly haven't been bit by it yet. Was recently impressed to discover that their git server helpfully told me to include a skip-ci option when I was modifying the repo from within the -ci.yml. I didn't notice until after I had already set the job to manual or scheduled only, but still. I'd rather have it let me create cursed infinitely looping jobs than anything else

An SSD would help out a lot, there might also be some memory limits you can increase.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Gitlab also seems to really struggle on a box without a swap partition. I inherited a Gitlab server when I started my current job that had some awful performance issues that were resolved when I added a swap partition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In a three node K3S HA lab, other than not being representative of (presumably) most production kubes, is there any real downside of having all three nodes deployed as servers with no workload taints? I guess overkill and unnecessary resource usage for server components might be legit reasons, but honestly if that’s it I’m happy to just run in this model.

Between kube-vip and metallb I think I’d be pleased with my setup as even a two-node “server” cluster given I’m just starting to dip my toes in and my workloads are minimal (so hoooonestly, even a single node is probably fine for everything except it’s not as :cool: )

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

We've paid for gitlab for years, but are moving to the CE release this year because the price is going up and puts it out of our budget. How owned are we gonna be?

You're going to miss the code search feature

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

, is there any real downside of having all three nodes deployed as servers with no workload taints? I guess overkill and unnecessary resource usage for server components might be legit reasons, but honestly if that’s it I’m happy to just run in this model.

In my experience you don't create taints until they're needed, and you'll know when you need one

As an example, originally we just had our Monolith on the cluster, and later we added data analytics to the cluster (I guess originally it was a small accessory load and didn't justify another cluster at the time)

Now the analytics load is 3x the monolith, with a very different load pattern (more CPU, faster disk) so we have two sets of servers, with taints to keep the two running on their tuned machine type

Should we move analytics to it's own cluster? Probably. Is it my top priority this week? Nope

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good. I know next to nothing about these situations but I can imagine based on context that this makes sense. For my specific use I’m guessing there’s really no major harm in just having all three nodes in the cluster running server roles without being super anal about refusing to schedule workloads on anything but a dedicated worker.

I’d be lying if I said I had a NEED for kubernetes, but I really like the workflow, and so far everything makes SENSE, enough that I think I might eventually either migrate my workloads to this little k3s cluster, or just reinstall ubuntu on the docker host for cleanliness sake and bring up a single node k3s. I really do like it more than just working with docker, though that’s probably more to do with the fact that I have played with kube more right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 13, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it's super frustrating that k8s lives up to the hype for the most part lol, i wish it were worse to work with and that rancher just didnt work half the time so i could argue against it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: oops

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 28, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Does anyone have recommendations on libs to write code that generates Azure DevOps pipeline configurations from templates?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

LochNessMonster posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on libs to write code that generates Azure DevOps pipeline configurations from templates?

Maybe Pulumi? https://www.pulumi.com/docs/guides/continuous-delivery/azure-devops/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

may or may not be the best choice but I inherited some ansible that does that and haven't needed to replace it yet

The Fool fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 18, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

LochNessMonster posted:

What do you mean by pipeline configurations? Azure Pipelines already supports templates out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

What do you mean by pipeline configurations? Azure Pipelines already supports templates out of the box.

My description was kinda bad but I’d like to generate the templates themselves by code. Notvar substitution in a predefined/static template.