Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mauser posted:

Just found out a friend of mine got hit by a car running a red light and needed brain surgery. Wanted to say that there are things outside your control and it's a good idea to wear a helmet while commuting.

Oh drat, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your friend makes a full recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hi thread, hasn't post in 2? yearsjust want to share
---

Wrestled a new set of Marathon+ on my bike also new tubes and lubed up ready for work from office next week.

Also, bonus tailgating Mets fans.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

marshalljim posted:

No personal experience with them, but I've seen people on the bike paths around here with these: https://www.twowheelgear.com/collections/garment-panniers

This is from a couple of pages ago, but I've owned this pannier for about 5 years and I really love it. It has a lot of pockets to keep your stuff organized and it's super easy to take on and off and basically turns into a shoulder bag when carrying it off the bike. I use mine for daily commuting and it has held up really well. I highly recommend it even if you don't need it for the garment purpose.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has anyone tried to make any sort of DIY quick release rack mount for a milk crate or anything like that?

I guess if there's nothing else I might end up 3d printing a topeak MTX mount for my rack and an adapter for the crate since there are models for that on thingiverse but it probably wouldn't be super strong so I'm curious if anyone has tried anything else.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If I wanted something like that for my commuter bike right now I'd probably look into a motorcycle/scooter top case. I bought a used small Givi monolock for my moto for like 30 bucks including two keys. Quick disconnect, waterproof, lockable opaque storage, practical carrying handle when detached, good aero, pretty lightweight for what it is, well engineered overall. It would work fine on a bicycle IMO.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Invalido posted:

If I wanted something like that for my commuter bike right now I'd probably look into a motorcycle/scooter top case. I bought a used small Givi monolock for my moto for like 30 bucks including two keys. Quick disconnect, waterproof, lockable opaque storage, practical carrying handle when detached, good aero, pretty lightweight for what it is, well engineered overall. It would work fine on a bicycle IMO.
Thank you! That actually looks like exactly what I want and at worst I would probably just need to drill new holes in the mounting plate or something.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mystes posted:

Has anyone tried to make any sort of DIY quick release rack mount for a milk crate or anything like that?

I guess if there's nothing else I might end up 3d printing a topeak MTX mount for my rack and an adapter for the crate since there are models for that on thingiverse but it probably wouldn't be super strong so I'm curious if anyone has tried anything else.

Have you considered the handlebar quick release dog baskets on Amazon. They are pretty cheap. $20 ish.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered the handlebar quick release dog baskets on Amazon. They are pretty cheap. $20 ish.
I've used a front basket before but IMO they're kind of annoying because of how they affect handling if you put any amount of weight in hem.

Edit: Actually it looks like you can just buy mounts from topeak after all, although I'm not sure if the part that goes on the rack will work with my rack, but if it does I might just get that:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/164-Replacement-Kit/158-FIXER-6
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/248-Accessories/1323-OMNI-QUICKTRACK-ADAPTER

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 26, 2022

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

mystes posted:

I've used a front basket before but IMO they're kind of annoying because of how they affect handling if you put any amount of weight in hem.

Edit: Actually it looks like you can just buy mounts from topeak after all, although I'm not sure if the part that goes on the rack will work with my rack, but if it does I might just get that:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/164-Replacement-Kit/158-FIXER-6
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/248-Accessories/1323-OMNI-QUICKTRACK-ADAPTER

There's the Basil MIK system, too.

Adjustable carrier plate for rack: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075DGQHV5/
Adapter for baskets and bags: https://smile.amazon.com/Basil-MIK-Adapter-Plate-Black/dp/B075DKV1MK/

No personal experience with either setup; just another option I had considered a while back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

marshalljim posted:

There's the Basil MIK system, too.

Adjustable carrier plate for rack: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075DGQHV5/
Adapter for baskets and bags: https://smile.amazon.com/Basil-MIK-Adapter-Plate-Black/dp/B075DKV1MK/

No personal experience with either setup; just another option I had considered a while back.
This looks like it might be better just because the carrier plate mounting seems so flexible, thanks.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mystes posted:

This looks like it might be better just because the carrier plate mounting seems so flexible, thanks.

Why not just get the topeak MTK mount?

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why not just get the topeak MTK mount?
I'm not sure if I can actually easily mount it on my rack.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

mystes posted:

Thank you! That actually looks like exactly what I want and at worst I would probably just need to drill new holes in the mounting plate or something.

The mounting plate is all holes, you'll probably find some that are in just the right place. There's one thing I failed to consider yesterday but thought of this morning - the clamshell on top cases (almost?) always opens forward - they are hinged in the front. The case needs a bit of free space ahead to be able to open when mounted on the bike. On a moto this is no issue, but odds are the top half will hit the back of the saddle on a bicycle unless you mount the case further back than what is probably ideal on most bikes.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

mystes posted:

I have a system with wingnuts and M10 thumb screws that works well

It's not quite quick release , but it is easily removable and modular

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mystes posted:

Is the Topeak crate not what you’re looking for?

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/161-Basket/323-TROLLEYTOTE-FOLDING-MTX-REAR-BASKET

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Topeak crates don't make sense.

Why would you put your cargo unnecessarily high up, if it isn't going to look like you stole it from a grocery store?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Groda posted:

Topeak crates don't make sense.

Why would you put your cargo unnecessarily high up, if it isn't going to look like you stole it from a grocery store?

I like the idea of folding up and also big grocery friendly container. And has wheels too. I already have a MTX bottom. If this cargo gadget is cheaper I would have brought it already.

Right now my childseat bucket can hold just as much if not more grocery bags so there is little incentive for me to get it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jestery posted:

I have a system with wingnuts and M10 thumb screws that works well

It's not quite quick release , but it is easily removable and modular
This looks like a pretty good approach too... there are too many options now but I might end up going with something like this. It has tons of room when you have the bin on, it's simple/cheap, and it doesn't have any fancy stuff that people are going to want to steal

I can imagine certain uses where this would be convenient, especially if you want to bring a bunch of heavy stuff up an elevator, but I'm mainly imagining stuff like light grocery shopping and I'm not sure the combination of features really makes sense for that. At a grocery store, if you leave it on the bike it doesn't need to be collapsible + rolling and if you bring it into a store are you really going to want to put your groceries in a rolling crate that's at ground level? I'm not in a situation where rolling would be useful when I got home either.

I'm actually leaning towards Jestery's system because I'm more interested in keeping it cheap/simple and having a lot of space for shorter distances even if it's jankier, as long as I can remove it when I don't need it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you can cut some slotted holes like this:

you could use 4 front QR levers to clamp the base into place, and then release them and slide the board out more easily.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mystes posted:

This looks like a pretty good approach too... there are too many options now but I might end up going with something like this. It has tons of room when you have the bin on, it's simple/cheap, and it doesn't have any fancy stuff that people are going to want to steal

I can imagine certain uses where this would be convenient, especially if you want to bring a bunch of heavy stuff up an elevator, but I'm mainly imagining stuff like light grocery shopping and I'm not sure the combination of features really makes sense for that. At a grocery store, if you leave it on the bike it doesn't need to be collapsible + rolling and if you bring it into a store are you really going to want to put your groceries in a rolling crate that's at ground level? I'm not in a situation where rolling would be useful when I got home either.

I'm actually leaning towards Jestery's system because I'm more interested in keeping it cheap/simple and having a lot of space for shorter distances even if it's jankier, as long as I can remove it when I don't need it.

Let me know if you want any more info or pictures of my system

:)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Hey thread. Just picked up an All City Mr. Pink for my mom and she's looking to put on a rear rack. Oddly, it has front and rear eyelets for fenders so I can attach the bottom of the rack, but it doesn't have eyelets up top near the seat post to attach the aluminum arms that help keep the rack level.

I know I can get an Axiom rack that attaches to the rear wheel skewer and the part of the frame where the rear brake attaches, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to install a regular rack using the eyelets on the seat stays and finding some novel way of attaching the arms to the seatpost for balance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Skrill.exe posted:

some novel way of attaching the arms to the seatpost for balance.

Problem Solvers sells a seatpost clamp that provides eyelets. https://problemsolversbike.com/products/cockpit/seatpost_clamp

Would be more adaptable if it only clamped the post instead of the seattube, but maybe more risk that way.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Skrill.exe posted:

Hey thread. Just picked up an All City Mr. Pink for my mom and she's looking to put on a rear rack. Oddly, it has front and rear eyelets for fenders so I can attach the bottom of the rack, but it doesn't have eyelets up top near the seat post to attach the aluminum arms that help keep the rack level.

I know I can get an Axiom rack that attaches to the rear wheel skewer and the part of the frame where the rear brake attaches, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to install a regular rack using the eyelets on the seat stays and finding some novel way of attaching the arms to the seatpost for balance.

You can get one of these things that clamps onto the seat post that gives you somewhere to attach those arms.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Seatpost-Clamp-WMounts-Clamp-349-w-Rack-Mounts-Black

Just make sure it matches the seatpost diameter.

Alternatively I can't recommend a specific one but i know there are racks that use the eyelets on the dropouts and have one arm at the top that attaches to the brake bridge.

Edit: kimbo305 got the problem solvers clamp right, it's supposed to go on the seat tube. If you search for "rack seat clamp" a few other companies make similar so you can probably find something in a size that will work.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 30, 2022

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Thanks folks! I appreciate the quick responses.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
P-clamps around the seatstays usually work fine if it's not a full touring load too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Flat front tire after riding through some difficult-to-see-in-the-dark debris last night, and I walked it home the last ~km. Today the weather is grey and windy and I have other (lame) excuses to work from home today. The bike commute is nearly the only exercise I get and I need to keep it up but some days are better than others.

I should be able to fix the flat today, at least.

If I have to take it to the LBS I'll probably end up with a new front tire. I've been enjoying the fat-soft-front and thin-hard-back setup on my hardtail, and the front tire is still the original one that came with the bike about a year and a half ago.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was in that exact situation recently and was very glad I replaced the tire too. Mine was a puncture flat in large part because the remaining tread was so thin.

Thin tread also has MUCH less grip and when I saw how thin it was I was a little terrified I'd been riding hard on it.

Highly recommend replacing the tire too, or at least swap the current front to the rear and get a new front. Assuming the rear is more worn which it typically is.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

ExecuDork posted:

The bike commute is nearly the only exercise I get and I need to keep it up but some days are better than others.

I feel ya. I don't have the option to work from home but I've been commuting by motorcycle a fair bit since I got into those last summer. This isn't great. That hour+ a day of exercise that I get from biking to work is fantastic. It makes me a much happier person, I sleep better and feel better in all sorts of ways. I do exercise in other ways too but it isn't enough and I feel I really need the bike commute as well. So I won't allow myself to commute by moto much anymore. It's a pretty boring ride as rides go anyway.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Some more grocery commuting pics. I added up about 45lbs worth of stuff that's easily countable. Bicycle was very squirrely with all that weight on the back and I think I'll start doing more frequent trips to avoid that in the future.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hellyeah: I think kitty litter is the one item I have never attempted

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I always get the smallest bag of that brand and strap it to my front rack usually. If I need to get more litter, I try to split it up between rack and pannier.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I always get the smallest bag of that brand and strap it to my front rack usually. If I need to get more litter, I try to split it up between rack and pannier.

They always try and tell me that I get more for my money if I get the huge bag of litter. Buddy,,,

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

My hauling best, not counting the times with a trailer: 12ft planks of poplar.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I was in that exact situation recently and was very glad I replaced the tire too. Mine was a puncture flat in large part because the remaining tread was so thin.

Thin tread also has MUCH less grip and when I saw how thin it was I was a little terrified I'd been riding hard on it.

Highly recommend replacing the tire too, or at least swap the current front to the rear and get a new front. Assuming the rear is more worn which it typically is.

Update: I have not even attempted to fix the tire. It'll be a weekend thing. I hope. And yeah, new front tire is a good idea. The rear tire wore out first, long time ago, and I replaced the chunky mountain bike tire with a skinnier, harder "commuter" tire. It's in good shape, I think, and I'm happy with the setup.

On the plus side, my two days of WFH went quite well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SimonSays posted:

Less inner thigh splinters and more Neutrino pics please.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Less inner thigh splinters and more Neutrino pics please.

Gotta tell you, they're mostly showing the ridiculous poo poo I've hauled. The low center of gravity is delightful.

E: this fits the thread great, I commute on the little guy year-round.

SimonSays fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2022

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I was looking at Velo Orange frames the other day because I had to order some stuff for my old commuter from there. Did you put the thing together yourself?

Edit: I've carried 2x4s home on my bike, but it's only five blocks or so and I just rested them on the handlebars.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Mauser posted:

I was looking at Velo Orange frames the other day because I had to order some stuff for my old commuter from there. Did you put the thing together yourself?

Edit: I've carried 2x4s home on my bike, but it's only five blocks or so and I just rested them on the handlebars.

I think everyone put their Neutrino together themselves. There are a lot of funky builds out there.

The gearing takes some thinking but minivelos have existed for long enough that there's always a good way to do whatever you want.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Awesome, bravo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

SimonSays posted:

I've done this before, feels like you are jousting