Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I thought I explained this already. The wind turbines make it too windy to do other work outside, thus slowing the economy. You always see it's windy where there are wind turbines because they generate too much wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm not a wind turbine technician but that sounds pretty accurate to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I can't find where you plug the wind turbine into my lifted Dodge Ram, please ban wind turbines what even is a wind turbine for?

-rural voters (in Derek Zoolander voice)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
don cherry said wind turbines are bad, and i trust grapes more than you nancy boys.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RBC posted:

don cherry said wind turbines are bad, and i trust grapes more than you nancy boys.

Johnny Tarsands is a good Canadian energy

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Wind farms are replacing regular farms, and we owe our farmers and ranchers better

yeehaw

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Huh, Don Cherry apparently isn't dead yet.

I kind of just assumed.

Get on with it, universe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wind turbines are hilariously expensive to maintain but still that poo poo makes no sense

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/pressprogress/status/1524177651656757248?t=9azRpv-7VxEWzfh3Ommk5w&s=19

Jesus loving Christ

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yet another way in which Alberta is better than Ontario if you actually look into it: there's zero support here for getting rid of wind turbines, as far as I've heard. Even the Freedom Rally morons don't talk about getting rid of wind power. The presence of wind turbines being a boon is as close as I've seen to a unifying political opinion in Alberta.

We love energy. We love all energy. We don't love pollution; only crazy people do. We have oil execs touting their reduced carbon output per BOE and driving Teslas. What we fear is being told to reduce our consumption of energy in any sense; I don't think there's any substantial objection to doing things cleaner provided: more money, more energy, faster, bigger.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
:aaa:

Maybe I'm showing my college education but I actually had no idea there were fraternities in Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This is one of those generational things that looks really bad now, and was probably unseemly at the time, but ultimately is far less of a big deal than his many perfidious acts more recently. It's not a winning play to go after this, in my opinion. It's going to cause outrage amongst a bunch of people who were never voting PC anyway, and were already plenty outraged by the entirety of that shitstain's career, and it's not going to move the needle with anyone else.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PT6A posted:

This is one of those generational things that looks really bad now, and was probably unseemly at the time, but ultimately is far less of a big deal than his many perfidious acts more recently. It's not a winning play to go after this, in my opinion. It's going to cause outrage amongst a bunch of people who were never voting PC anyway, and were already plenty outraged by the entirety of that shitstain's career, and it's not going to move the needle with anyone else.

Naw, Ford needs support from minority communities in the 905 to win. This isn't a death blow but it's going to hurt him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Naw, Ford needs support from minority communities in the 905 to win. This isn't a death blow but it's going to hurt him.

I don't know that it will. He was one of the "slaves" auctioned according to the article, it wasn't like they were auctioning off the Black brothers exclusively. It was absolutely stupid, it was absolutely insensitive, but I think if you're counting on this to put the knife in Ford's back amongst racialized voters, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Things have come a long way; my younger students are, quite correctly, aghast that we still use "free/slave" or "master/slave" to refer to rather simple settings in airplanes, or motherboards, or whatever the context happens to be. They're right! We need to stop that poo poo ASAP, I agree. That doesn't change the fact that there's still a lot of people who don't really see what the problem is with all that, it's just words, etc.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Maybe I'm showing my college education but I actually had no idea there were fraternities in Canada.

They exist but it's not like the US where they have official/semi-official association with the schools or that they're places people actually care about because you can't drink at bars until you're 21 and need a place to get booze.

Like walk through the neighborhoods north of U of T and you'll see a whole bunch of big houses with Greek letters over the front.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Wind farms are replacing regular farms, and we owe our farmers and ranchers better

yeehaw

Farmers fan cities.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

PT6A posted:

Does it still seem like a generational thing after you consider this guy graduated in 2008?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
animal house, but set in 2006

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jettisonedstuff posted:

Does it still seem like a generational thing after you consider this guy graduated in 2008?

100%. There's been a huge and necessary shift about this sort of thing just in the past decade. I mean, say what you will, I think whether it's this rear end in a top hat or Trudeau in blackface, we need to view this poo poo in context. And we can say "yeah, it's a serious error in judgement at any time" but holy gently caress I'd really rather deal with our numerous current issues with these pricks. We have these loving pricks dead to rights on bad poo poo they're doing right now as we speak why do we even bother litigating cases that exist in some kind of temporal grey area?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Less Fat Luke posted:

I attended a couple universities and I never noticed them, but I had the same reaction when my brother told me he was in one. They were all a bunch of chill nerds though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tsyni posted:

I attended a couple universities and I never noticed them, but I had the same reaction when my brother told me he was in one. They were all a bunch of chill nerds though.

It's definitely less big here than in the States. Being a cynical rear end in a top hat as I am, I'd say the major draw in the US is the facilitation of underage drinking. As that's not a concern here, all our fraternities revolve around entirely more venal concerns.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

Western used to be (self-)branded as the most respectable Family Compact-friendly party school in Canada, so unless anything changed in the last decade, this news is entirely unsurprising. Also the casual interspersal of Slave Day with the innocuous Poker/Foosball Day is a thing:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So is it just a movie/tv thing where Fraternities or even charity groups auction hot male/female dates off?

Not going to give them any excuse/credit though as "slave auction" is still pretty ridiculous both as the name and the practice of what you do as the "bought slave".

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I literally thought it was just a plot device thing on TV.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fraternities and sororities are much bigger in the US than here. My own experience is that it was more about playing video games and smoking weed and doing mushrooms. A lot of the fraternities also have test banks which can be useful. There were some events with sororities but it was pretty tame compared to the movies. However, in the US, greek life is absolutely like movies. It’s crazy how integrated it is into university life down there. I went on a few trips down there to meet up with US chapters, and a lot of my American relatives were is fraternities and sororities and they stuff they do is crazy.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 11, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

PT6A posted:

Yet another way in which Alberta is better than Ontario if you actually look into it

CBC posted:

Alberta's top court said Tuesday the federal government's environmental impact law is unconstitutional...

The Alberta government, calling it a Trojan Horse, had challenged the Impact Assessment Act over what the province argued was its overreach into provincial powers.

The act, previously known as Bill C-69, was given royal assent in 2019. It lists activities that trigger an impact review and allows Ottawa to consider the effects of new resource projects on a range of environmental and social issues, including climate change.

Alberta had argued the law could use those concerns to greatly expand the range of federal oversight into areas of provincial jurisdiction.

A majority of five justices giving their legal opinion in the 204-page document released Tuesday sided with Alberta, calling it a "breathtaking pre-emption of provincial authority."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

PT6A posted:

My highschool yearbooks from the early 90s have at least two prominent pictures of straight-up blackface on the Sadie Hawkins pages. Prime time shows from that era, Quantum Leap and Tour of Duty come immediately to mind, used the N-word. It was a different time, with different ideas about what was and was not OK. A whole lot of classic comedy movies from that era simply wouldn't get screentime nowadays (Revenge of the Nerds and Sixteen Candles come immediately to mind.)

Honestly, I'm less concerned about 'what stupid poo poo did you get up to fifteen years ago when you were a dumb collage/uni student' and more concerned about 'how have you grown and changed as a person since then?'

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 11, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

I'm a big dumb idiot, but do I have this right?

• They're saying it's unconstitutional because fighting climate change shouldn't be a federal responsibility, it should be a provincial one?
  • They're opposing an act that conducts impact assessments, and doesn't really do anything else?
  • Rempel is somehow framing it as a power grab by the PM aimed at destroying the energy sector?

Like, holy poo poo, it's all dogwhistling to the "gently caress Trudeau" crowd, and it's no wonder Ottawa isn't worried about their appeal.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot, but do I have this right?

• They're saying it's unconstitutional because fighting climate change shouldn't be a federal responsibility, it should be a provincial one?
  • They're opposing an act that conducts impact assessments, and doesn't really do anything else?
  • Rempel is somehow framing it as a power grab by the PM aimed at destroying the energy sector?

Like, holy poo poo, it's all dogwhistling to the "gently caress Trudeau" crowd, and it's no wonder Ottawa isn't worried about their appeal.
IIRC, the Alberta Court of Appeal also said that the Carbon Tax was unconstitutional for roughly the same reasons. However, that was overturned by the SCC.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Chillyrabbit posted:

So is it just a movie/tv thing where Fraternities or even charity groups auction hot male/female dates off?

Hi, I went to school in Ontario and they did this in elementary school. I don't remember what they were raising money for, but I do remember in eighth grade they had two days (one for boys, one for girls) where you could purchase a lunch date with someone of the opposite sex. Some people ordered pizza and raked in the cash.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

This was also my experience, is that it was done in elementary school. Usually it was the 8th graders putting themselves on slave auction for a day at school for like raising funds for graduation that year.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

We love energy. We love all energy.

How many times a day do you guys hook car batteries up to your nuts?

Just asking for not energy fetish related reasons.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
And what about smaller batteries to your nipples?

Haha, jk. That would be gross. But uh... What's the highest voltage you've hit? You know, as a joke.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Butcher posted:

And what about smaller batteries to your nipples?

Haha, jk. That would be gross. But uh... What's the highest voltage you've hit? You know, as a joke.

safe electro play is never done above the waist because it's too risky to gently caress up your heart by shocking yourself there

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1524552321979539456

JFC.

Remember when Jorp said the government should force women to marry incels so they don't kill people?

Also this greatest hit, timestamped to one of Jordan's dumb hills he was ready to die on crumbling after one question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9j1SLxEd0&t=297s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Also this greatest hit, timestamped to one of Jordan's dumb hills he was ready to die on crumbling after one question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9j1SLxEd0&t=297s

Jim is top-notch. He cuts through the bullshit and, in one very simple question, absolutely wrecks this imbecile's insane argument. It's not because he's clever, it's not because he's brilliant, it's because he showed up as a "bloke" and asked the most simple of questions at a time when Kermit wasn't on guard and primed to do what he generously refers to as "debate."

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Wind turbines are hilariously expensive to maintain but still that poo poo makes no sense

The life cycle for wind turbines is currently awful. Blades pretty much go straight into a landfill.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Less Fat Luke posted:

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1524552321979539456

JFC.

Remember when Jorp said the government should force women to marry incels so they don't kill people?

Haha oh man, it's just so typical that Poilievre would be in love with Jorpy. It should be a disqualifier to have read his book and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Pierre, too, has had to assert his dominance over toddlers on the playground.