Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol if they're going with Ultra-MAGA. Way to make the other side sound like cool dbz bad guys who are powering up to their final form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lol if they're going with Ultra-MAGA. Way to make the other side sound like cool dbz bad guys who are powering up to their final form

nothing is more important than continuing to find ways to differentiate the crazy republicans from the good ones

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
it's even worse bc it was what crazed trump fans were already calling themselves. self-identifying as ultra maga, with memes and branding available

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh sorry i wasn’t very clear. it’s going to be the last habitable zone in the sense that EVERYWHERE else is going to be turbo hosed by climate change. Ohio isn’t changing.

Ohio is eternal

Always has been

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

some people have done this before, coming up with metrics to measure how fair districts are and all that. but go ahead trying to get that to become law; the average politician probably has trouble grasping the concept of average so it's gonna be a tough sell. and that's before you get to the fact that everyone is happy with the current arrangement: republicans get to win elections and democrats get incredibly safe seats that guarantee a lifetime job

this was Rucho v. Common Cause, in which the court decided that it is impossible to create a standard for what "too partisan" means when redrawing districts. they had even been presented with a bunch of ways to quantify it so that you could at least have a limit on partisanship, for example by comparing the expected election results to the total popular vote in a state. the idea was that it showed how people were losing the full effectiveness of their votes, which violates the constitutional protection of one vote per person. but nope, it's impossible for federal courts to decide if that is happening i guess. you have to leave it up to ~congress~ to sort out, which is pretty ridiculous because legislators are elected in elections and some people just don't get a full vote in the mean time.

that case was decided in 2019 and effectively ended any possibility of any national gerrymandering reform

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nothus posted:

I remember reading a piece based on an in-depth interview with one of her former staffers a few years ago that perfectly illuminated the ruling philosophy of these morons. The basic idea was that the entire generation Democratic leaders that came of age during the Reagan years was so poisoned by the experience that their entire mindset is that all that the party can do is negotiate with conservatives and corporations to slow-down the erosion of the new deal/great society state. Slow-down, but never stop and never reverse, because corporate conservative victory is inevitable. Anyone who tries to fight back is quickly replaced with someone more compliant.

Was it this one? I don't think they interview any former Pelosi staffers but it has the same message as what you posted-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2019/07/05/feature/haunted-by-the-reagan-era/

AOC's line about the GOP having been clowns for her entire life hits especially close to home for me, with the 2000 election being the first political event of my life where I kind of understood what was going on.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

maga in name only (MINO)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

"Cucked" is one of those terms that's rapidly losing all meaning on the Internet, but I can't think of another term that so neatly encapsulates the present-day Dem mindset. I almost wish she and her colleagues knew how badly they've been out-played by the GOP and they're just playing dumb to save face, rather than them actually being this dumb and out of touch. But I know which is more likely.

E: Wild to me that Republicans moved on from Reagan more readily than Dems seem to have.

She hasn't, though. She's been in politics since JFK was alive. She's not really pro-choice, she's catholic. She stock trades better than Warren Buffet because she insider trades. She's worth hundreds of millions of dollars. She can never lose an election. She believes in nothing at all. The only thing she might fail on is passing her seat to her daughter, but that's because she held onto power until she was 100 and her daughter will be over 70 by the time she actually tries to make the swap.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

really good article on how easy it is for the antiterrorism apparatus to be turned on abortion protestors (or anyone else)

Can't wait for President DeSantis to start raiding the homes of [certain] women that had miscarriages looking for "evidence of murder". When the cops execute them, they will have been just defending themselves. She was antifa after all, and was reaching for her waistband, while disobeying [contradictory] orders.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
ultramaga ok

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Dark blue maga

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

magacore

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nu-maga

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
SHIN ULTRAMAG

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

why did joe make fists and hold them up like that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

old

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nonsense posted:

Clenching your fists can be a memory-improving technique

Or he was working on his cornholio impression. Either way

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Dotard strength.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nonsense posted:

dementia op

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

blitzball stance, ready to bop them jack

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Nonsense posted:

Must not poop pants

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/st...ingawful.com%2F

healthcare pls

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Dotard strength.

bi crimes posted:

dementia op

Lastgirl posted:

blitzball stance, ready to bop them jack

Subvisual Haze posted:

Must not poop pants

:cheersdoge:

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

C-Euro posted:

Was it this one? I don't think they interview any former Pelosi staffers but it has the same message as what you posted-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2019/07/05/feature/haunted-by-the-reagan-era/

AOC's line about the GOP having been clowns for her entire life hits especially close to home for me, with the 2000 election being the first political event of my life where I kind of understood what was going on.

The Dems know how labor-populist movements work well enough to scuttle them the world over so they drat well know how to run one against Reagan, Bush, Trump. They exist specifically to stop that from happening.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO9Y6Vfcvs

This probably won't work, but I'm currently w/o a desktop and can't do my usual mediocre style of video editing.

Edit: because somebody mentioned the Dems getting assblasted a few pages back and because gently caress you I've been throwing up for a solid week

Edit again: those two statements are independent of each other. That clip's funny as hell.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 05:51 on May 11, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

This is especially amusing once you realize the Dem party is full of personality cults instead of substance or even coherence as well.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fond memories of the Contract with America days

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

the white hand posted:

fond memories of the Contract with America days
pretty sure leadership's got basically how the civil rights act was passed in mind, nearly sixty loving years ago

you know, when they were in their twenties and thirties, getting started in politics

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

pretty sure leadership's got basically how the civil rights act was passed in mind, nearly sixty loving years ago

you know, when they were in their twenties and thirties, getting started in politics

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hillary was a Goldwater Girl.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

I cannot get over how terrified she looks in this picture.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chamale posted:

I used to try to come up with a solution for gerrymandering by creating an algorithm that would draw a series of squares that contain the same number of people.

I don't remember all the things tried in different places offhand but this was one scenario that was tried. Others I do remember included drawing the state districts so that all of them were competitive, and one that attempted to draw them to account for dilution of racial minorities (I seem to remember those two being in AZ and NC respectively, but it's been a while). Like I said it's a short listen. What I like is that it being 538 it presents all the evidence that leads to this:

Chamale posted:

this is all pageantry

...without actually saying it. Taking it in totality walks the listener right up to the line of "If we all agree the game is rigged, and the evidence shows that it can't be structured it in a way that is fair, then what is the solution?" and lets the rational listener determine that democracy is simply the illusion of choice even before taking into account the party apparatus and the problem of candidate selection.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MSNBC's great gotcha this morning is that there's a tape from Jan. 6 where Lindsey Graham said Joe Biden would be a good president.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A rare miss from Lady G.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I am the great Bidenholio I need aricept for my bunghole

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1523479733832364034
The Dems are gonna get destroyed in 180 days

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/greg_price11/st...ingawful.com%2F

I hate Nancy so much lmao

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
When I was hungry you gave me bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jennis pls