Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

thehustler posted:

You take that back! :o

Never. I will never understand the Tarbuck love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

thehustler posted:

You take that back! :o

Eh, we've been rewatching and got to series 6 and the way she crushes that little wind-up guy - she's a loving monster.

Anyway I have been watching Norway but to be honest this year's was two identical bald men, two identical blonde women and that weird sentient teddy bear guy which made rooting for any given individual difficult. Good series though! More people need to be setting light to things imo.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've been working on my own version of Taskmaster with some friends (posted about it a while ago in here and got some good suggestions). One of our tasks is a weird one involving a "Jury" and it's supposed to have a significant number of people that don't know anyone involved. If there's anyone in this thread that wants to be a part of it, you'd need about 15 minutes or so and a gmail account (to fill out a google form). Just let me know and I can DM you details.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Worse than Lisa Lampanelli?

The winner of the norwegian taskmaster made an entire documentary series about how :biotruths: are real, including one episode where Charles Murray got to talk about how black people are less intelligent than white people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Superrodan posted:

I've been working on my own version of Taskmaster with some friends (posted about it a while ago in here and got some good suggestions). One of our tasks is a weird one involving a "Jury" and it's supposed to have a significant number of people that don't know anyone involved. If there's anyone in this thread that wants to be a part of it, you'd need about 15 minutes or so and a gmail account (to fill out a google form). Just let me know and I can DM you details.

I am known as a particularly harsh judge of just about anything

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am known as a particularly harsh judge of just about anything

It's not so much judging things that way. You'll be watching a video and guessing what the contestants are trying to convey. It's basically the first bit of a running task, where parts 1 and 2 are judged with good ol' fashioned percentages and numbers, and part 3 is judged by the Taskmaster exclusively.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Superrodan posted:

Sure, sounds like fun

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Superrodan posted:

It's not so much judging things that way. You'll be watching a video and guessing what the contestants are trying to convey. It's basically the first bit of a running task, where parts 1 and 2 are judged with good ol' fashioned percentages and numbers, and part 3 is judged by the Taskmaster exclusively.
I'd give that a go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Superrodan posted:

Gladly, DMs are open

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Superrodan posted:

Sure! Is this going to be videoed like TM Minnesota?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Superrodan posted:

Sounds like fun, count me in.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for all the interest, sent the pertinent info to everyone who asked.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sure! Is this going to be videoed like TM Minnesota?

Yes, but it's not going to be for a while. Currently we're editing all the tasks and intros and reading and such together. It's going to take a long time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Superrodan posted:

Sign me up chief.

Also Tarbuck is fine. She gave us Alex sitting in cake.

Richard Herring is the only person I recall being bored with, if only because he really competitive without many comedic moments to back that up, save the skit one where he's in a bush.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Superrodan posted:

Thanks for all the interest, sent the pertinent info to everyone who asked.

Yes, but it's not going to be for a while. Currently we're editing all the tasks and intros and reading and such together. It's going to take a long time.

Just make sure the studio audio is tight.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just make sure the studio audio is tight.

That's actually one of our biggest hangups. We don't have 5 lavalier mics for the contestants, we only had two. That worked well when it was during the tasks but for the final party everyone might be on handhelds and I worry that people will be mumbly or not speak into the mic or change volume and blow them out. It's gonna be... tough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Never. I will never understand the Tarbuck love.

I feel like it might be one of those English things where she's rude in a way that is surprising and different over there but pretty mundane over here.

I figured out one thing that bugs me about her winning her season, and it's one of the things that some other people love about her, where there's a lot of tasks where she just kinda doesn't stress or rush and even kinda just blows off, and there's been a number of people like that on Taskmaster, but she won the season with that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like it might be one of those English things where she's rude in a way that is surprising and different over there but pretty mundane over here.

I figured out one thing that bugs me about her winning her season, and it's one of the things that some other people love about her, where there's a lot of tasks where she just kinda doesn't stress or rush and even kinda just blows off, and there's been a number of people like that on Taskmaster, but she won the season with that.

Honestly it does seem like "don't worry about it too much" is kind of a winning strategy on Taskmaster. It doesn't always work out for the people who go in with a 100% "don't give a poo poo" attitude, but they tend to land pretty frequently in the middle of the pack, while the people who really panic and go nuts do the worst.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There was Jo Brand that had the same methodology as Tarbuck, but I actually enjoyed her 'gives absolutely no shits' attitude.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somehow it worked for Jo. It's a subtle difference between "not giving a poo poo about doing the task correctly" and "not giving a poo poo about the task."

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I don't recall much of Tarbuk "not giving a poo poo" considering she tended to knock it out of the park more often or not. With that said though she definitely came into the task, did the job without getting flustered, came out with 5 points, which doesn't make as much for good comedy TV.

Still, she made Alex sit in a cake. S-tier contestant for that alone.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Somehow it worked for Jo. It's a subtle difference between "not giving a poo poo about doing the task correctly" and "not giving a poo poo about the task."

Really have to disagree here. It was endearing for the first 3 or 4 episodes but then it started to get aggravating. Maybe don't commit to a series if you can't be arsed to even attempt most of the time, for even one episode?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bridget Christie forlornly wandering the gardens banging a saucepan with a spoon, then giving up on life and collapsing into a pile of black bin bags is a real 2022 post-pandemic mood, I must say.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Didn't know that Bridget Christy was married to Stewart Lee.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mr Beens posted:

Didn't know that Bridget Christy was married to Stewart Lee.

Apparently they have to agree which one of them gets to use each anecdote from their life together. Stew gets a incident at their wedding, Bridget takes the story about their awful honeymoon destination. Personally I'd love to see a He Said/She Said TV series commissioned, where each week they both perform separate stand-up routines about the same topic or incident, which then get intercut into a half-hour episode. Maybe the audience for that is just me though...

The high-five task tonight had the same kind of lightning-in-a-bottle that TM NZ struck with squirting the suncream - a task designed to be fairly straightforward, until the contestants then strike out in their own crazy directions. I could kind-of see what was coming with the keys, but what I didn't expect was for Bridget to completely blow the massive advantage she gave herself. Thank goodness she won the live task and continues to lead, through a lot of dumb luck.

Greg really did look great in that kimono at the end, didn't he?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
This is definitely one of the top three series. All the cast are absolutely going for it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yea this series has been phenomenal. The cast has bonded well the tasks have been creative but not boring or overly complicated and everyone just seems to be enjoying the whole thing.

The editing on that high five task was fantastic.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My immediate reaction to the "put this key somewhere difficult but not impossible to get to" was that you'd need to get it later and thought Bridget would have a good advantage when that came up. Turns out not so much, but at least I was right about the task!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Disappointing Pie posted:

The editing on that high five task was fantastic.

Was legit excited about who would be third during that final edit lol

It was a good episode for tasks that could be conceptually too complicated but turned out to have really funny responses.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

It was a good episode for tasks that could be conceptually too complicated but turned out to have really funny responses.

I have not been enjoying Judi overall, but her inability to understand tasks is helping in that regard at least.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Heavy_D posted:

The high-five task tonight had the same kind of lightning-in-a-bottle that TM NZ struck with squirting the suncream - a task designed to be fairly straightforward, until the contestants then strike out in their own crazy directions. I could kind-of see what was coming with the keys, but what I didn't expect was for Bridget to completely blow the massive advantage she gave herself. Thank goodness she won the live task and continues to lead, through a lot of dumb luck.

It makes me wonder how many tasks end up getting performed (if not used in the edit) under the premise of, "well, it's a bit boring, but maybe someone will lose their mind during it."

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Bridget seems to be Alex's kryptonite in terms of managing to genuinely annoy him

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I had no idea Greg and Bridget had known each other for so long

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

...this might be the best series. It's certainly the one that's made me laugh out loud the most

True, Alex simply can't deal with the unsullied chaos that flows from Bridget's mind. And Bridget can't deal with Alex trying to order it with his stupid rules and tasks. It's hilarious. Lord, her on the binbag, pots and noise, a true visage!

Most stand ups in the UK have at least met eachother before because of the Fringe (comedy festival). If you get to be on tv, you have already played in Edinburgh. Old comedians have crossed paths more than the youngs but yeah, some of them are actual friends, the badtards

E. Spelling. Give me coffee and give me death, I have a deadline I'm avoiding

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 13, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Definitely the best studio task this series. The sheer chaos of screaming and wriggling was marvellous.

nerox
May 20, 2001

LesterGroans posted:

I really liked the high five task. Ironically, my first thought strategy was somewhat employed by Ardal. The task said third high five wins, first and last get nothing. As soon as someone high fived Alex, I would've gave him a high five double tap.

I thought Chris had the right idea on the fish tank task. It looked like the big fish tank had a copper bowl or something in the bottom of it, I figured that was to stop the smaller aquarium from going any further into the big aquarium to end it at the perfect height. I love that Bridget harped on the "not removing the aquarium" line on the task, then immediately forgot and took the aquarium out of the room.

In retrospect Bridget had a good idea on the key. Keep it handy for yourself, but if it turns out Alex is going to retrieve it, you start running. It's too bad that I am pretty sure Alex murders her at some point during a task and we are seeing a decoy Bridget at the live show. Greg does have crime scene cleaning experience.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Alice Levine either didn't give a gently caress or was pretty dedicated. Like, she varied between showing up with a subway pass on one prize task and committing identity theft in another episode,

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Could you imagine Mark Steel or either Zaltzman as contestants?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Henning Wehn could be good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Zaltor would be fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Alhazred posted:

Alice Levine either didn't give a gently caress or was pretty dedicated. Like, she varied between showing up with a subway pass on one prize task and committing identity theft in another episode,

She was too focused on thinking of names for Alex to greet him with.