Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I like these jjba descriptions, thank you. :allears: I don't think I'll give it another shot but I enjoy the goon synopses

Edit: oh I definitely do not like whatever that mentioned shower thing was. Maybe it's unfair of me and most of it's not like that but that sort of poo poo is why I generally steer clear of anime.

run on sentience has a new favorite as of 06:07 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Never forget that technically, Jesus' name would have been Joshua, son of Joseph.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was along for the ride until the third act had a lingering shower scene of a 13 year old girl then I kind of noped out and haven't convinced myself to get back to it.

yeah that went over my head when i read it at the time (probably because i was also a 13 year old girl) and i didn't remember it at all, so when that scene happened in the anime that was very. uh. :gonk: as an adult, that poo poo did not age at all, and i'm going to chalk it up to them not changing something that was written in the 80s. perfect for this thread, i guess!

the thirteen year old girl gets put on the plane a few episodes later and never shows up again too, because apparently the series is just being made up as it goes along. one of the important characters dies halfway through, then shows up again in the last part because apparently he was faking his death so he could get them a submarine.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Splash Attack posted:

jojo starts off as a old school fighting manga where they used superpowers to fight vampires. each act follows a new generation of JoJo fighting evil.

in the third act that is completely discarded and never comes up again as everyone starts manifesting a tulpa with specific psychic/magic abilities. they’re named after the tarot cards, then egyptian gods, and finally just music bands and songs.

by the seventh act the universe has been reset and takes place during the same time period as act 1 but instead of victorian england it’s the wild west and they’re in a horse race. and jesus is involved somehow.

the eighth act takes place in the modern era again and the protagonist has four testicles. this is a important plot point.

The name of this thing seems quite accurate.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Splash Attack posted:

the thirteen year old girl gets put on the plane a few episodes later and never shows up again too, because apparently the series is just being made up as it goes along. one of the important characters dies halfway through, then shows up again in the last part because apparently he was faking his death so he could get them a submarine.

It's not as 'made up as it goes along' as reputation says, but it is very seat of the pants and the creator was never afraid to just go 'gently caress it, this idea seems more fun'. That character coming back genuinely was just because he thought he was kinda boring but then came up with some other cool things to do with him.

One of the most fun parts of it is the 'what weird facts did Araki learn about this time' factor, where he just bases a whole chapter on something neat he learned. Like the fight around the aforementioned submarine which is also just a detailed exploration of scuba diving safety, or the part 5 fight where victory hinges on exactly what type of plants can grow in extreme cold.

Honestly, for all JoJo's faults, one benefit is that Araki's so quickly enamored by new ideas that if there's a part you don't like, it won't stick around for long.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only thing he will never get tired of is villains being mean to dogs. You'd think that means he hates dogs, but no, Araki loves dogs. He loves dogs so much he thinks it's the height of evil to be mean or abusive to them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Splash Attack posted:

jojo starts off as a old school fighting manga where they used superpowers to fight vampires. each act follows a new generation of JoJo fighting evil.

in the third act that is completely discarded and never comes up again as everyone starts manifesting a tulpa with specific psychic/magic abilities. they’re named after the tarot cards, then egyptian gods, and finally just music bands and songs.

by the seventh act the universe has been reset and takes place during the same time period as act 1 but instead of victorian england it’s the wild west and they’re in a horse race. and jesus is involved somehow.

the eighth act takes place in the modern era again and the protagonist has four testicles. this is a important plot point.

Stuff like this is why I hate anime nerds.

Not the anime itself, but the neckbeard-types who will loudly and strongly defend it as art, and as nuanced complicated entertainment for discerning grownups.

gently caress that noise. I don't watch/read Jojo, but from this description it just sounds silly and weird.

Which is great. Silly weird poo poo is cool. I personally like professional wrestling. We are all allowed to like the things we like.

Just don't try to tell me that your pervert Japanese cartoons for schoolkids are important nuanced culturally important sacred texts of art.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But if you just ignore the stuff that makes no sense, the praise of a nazi ubermensch and the pedo stuff, it's really great!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly you could start at part 4 and onboard very quickly. There's only two JoJos from earlier parts and they explain their gimmicks and relationships around when they're introduced. Bonus part 4 has a lot of the memes and homoeroticism but without the nazis or pedos or apes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sounds like the time I had a creepy coworker try to get me to watch Goblin Slayer because it was so cool, but added "Just so you know, it starts off really rapey. But it gets better."

Well, okay then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sounds like the time I had a creepy coworker try to get me to watch Goblin Slayer because it was so cool, but added "Just so you know, it starts off really rapey. But it gets better."

Well, okay then.

Usually when a show starts out rapey it does not "get better"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Usually when a show starts out rapey it does not "get better"

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Splash Attack posted:

The biomechanical mannequin ghosts are named after tarot cards and then Egyptian gods, like you said, and then there's one that's just named Cream, because the guy who wields it is named Vanilla Ice. Because people are just named like that in Jojo. Then there's one more tarot card before they're all bands and songs.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, okay then.

It does not get better. It's sexist and xenophobic and awful all the way through.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But if you just ignore the stuff that makes no sense, the praise of a nazi ubermensch and the pedo stuff, it's really great!

i thought we were discussing anime, not the current state of right wing media :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Instead of all this disgusting poo poo you nerds apparently watch every episode of while bemoaning how terrible it is, watch some actual quality stuff like la blue girl and thank me later

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
JoJo's anime does do a bit of intentionally manifesting the subject of this thread, which I feel might as well get thrown in. There's an enemy in late part three that pulls the 'deadly video game' angle (which had to be one of the earliest instances of it, his manga introduction was in 1990), with one of them being an authentically late NES/early SNES baseball game. Complete with bitcrunched Engrish voice clips.

The other game played is literally just F-Zero, which dates it in a different way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, okay then.

God, that reminds me. A friend had pretty highly recommended a show to me, but I had forgotten the name and only could remember it was "[Noun] Slayer". I saw Goblin Slayer pop up on Netflix, figured it was that, and went into that with pretty high hopes. Turns out it's absolutely horrid rapey trash that was clearly written and drawn one-handed and I noped out half an episode in.

Later when I asked that friend "hey what the gently caress?", it turned out they'd said "Demon Slayer", which is indeed actually pretty good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anpanman is the best anime.

Why? Coz his head is a bun filled with red bean paste. And he rips part of it off to give to hungry children he rescues.

Rescues from the personification of bacteria who lives in a cave with a dimwitted clumsy skeleton.

Also, there are no nazis and no rape. So that's nice.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I gave JoJo a chance and it bored the poo poo out of me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

JJBA rules and there are lots of reasons it's popular with the queer community. Sure, some parts of it definitely haven't aged well, but it's been an insanely influential piece of media well beyond its own medium

Also part 2 ends with the protagonist in a fight against a perfect immortal indestructible being. He gets in a plane to fight but ends up crashing it into a volcano. In the fist fight that ensues, he gets his hand cut off, but the devastation of their fight causes the volcano to erupt, launching his dismembered hand at his opponent, uppercutting him into outer space. Unable to propel himself in any way, his opponent slowly continues drifting further and further away through space for eternity. If that kind of ridiculous nonsense doesn't sound even a little fun to you, you've got no heart

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ghost Stories was the only good anime and true to thread form there is not a single line that has aged well.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
isn't the jojo guy gay, why would he draw a scene of a 13 year old girl

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kit Walker posted:

. If that kind of ridiculous nonsense doesn't sound even a little fun to you, you've got no heart
okay weirdo

It's just not my cup of tea, okay?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

moonmazed posted:

isn't the jojo guy gay, why would he draw a scene of a 13 year old girl

because the monkey is watching her.

the monkey puts on a captain's outfit and reveals that its tulpa is the boat they're all on right now.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

JJBA rules and there are lots of reasons it's popular with the queer community. Sure, some parts of it definitely haven't aged well, but it's been an insanely influential piece of media well beyond its own medium

Also part 2 ends with the protagonist in a fight against a perfect immortal indestructible being. He gets in a plane to fight but ends up crashing it into a volcano. In the fist fight that ensues, he gets his hand cut off, but the devastation of their fight causes the volcano to erupt, launching his dismembered hand at his opponent, uppercutting him into outer space. Unable to propel himself in any way, his opponent slowly continues drifting further and further away through space for eternity. If that kind of ridiculous nonsense doesn't sound even a little fun to you, you've got no heart

The part 2 villain is defeated by pure luck and coincidence but as he's blasted away the protagonist yells out that he planned the whole thing knowing it would blow the villain's loving mind (and it does)

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Splash Attack posted:

the monkey puts on a captain's outfit and reveals that its tulpa is the boat they're all on right now.

ugh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Splash Attack posted:

The monkey I would hope is a character that can't be called 'didn't age well' because I feel like there's never been a time where that was a good idea, but I'll grant I don't have a great knowledge of what the Japanese zeitgeist was like in the late eighties.

It's honestly kind of a shame, because 'a genius monkey whose supowerpower is to turn a small boat into a big boat' sounds hilarious, and parts of that story are genuinely pretty good. It's just that the central action of the story focuses on a naked twelve year old girl.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Anpanman is the best anime.

Why? Coz his head is a bun filled with red bean paste. And he rips part of it off to give to hungry children he rescues.

Rescues from the personification of bacteria who lives in a cave with a dimwitted clumsy skeleton.

Also, there are no nazis and no rape. So that's nice.

Also it's been going for absolutely forever. I mostly know it from Bogleech.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's nice to know that the punishment for watching anime is watching anime.

I like Digimon. Digital Monsters.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Ghost in these hell is good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's nice to know that the punishment for watching anime is watching anime.

No one knows this better than anime fans.

That said, when it comes to queer themes in particular and a lot of other ideas, for a generation of kids anime was basically the first place they'd have any exposure to them at all, considering how conservative and carefully censored Western media, especially cartoons, was and still is with a handful of exceptions. Even once Western censors have gotten through with it the gay sometimes manages to resonate.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No one knows this better than anime fans.

That said, when it comes to queer themes in particular and a lot of other ideas, for a generation of kids anime was basically the first place they'd have any exposure to them at all, considering how conservative and carefully censored Western media, especially cartoons, was and still is with a handful of exceptions. Even once Western censors have gotten through with it the gay sometimes manages to resonate.

My favorite case of that was them trying to degay Sailor Moon by making some characters women, and making Uranus and Neptune cousins, and with the latter it didn't really work all that well. Now they're cousins who are also in a lesbian relationship.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Sailor Moon was cool because even with the dub it was gay as hell. The dub side-stepping the obvious gayness somehow managed to make it more gay. Like about a billion other people the one-two punch of that show and Xena made me realize other ladies are kind of neat.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Kwyndig posted:

The only thing he will never get tired of is villains being mean to dogs.

This actually completely stops happening by midway through part 4 over two decades ago

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jojo Part 2's treatment of Nazis is weird, in that it sorta slightly humanizes them a little, like the Nazi who shows the heroes a picture of his girlfriend he's gonna marry next week immediately before he dies like it's a buddy cop movie. I suspect it's less out of any actual fondness for Nazism, and more so that when hordes of them are murdered by an ancient aztec double-vampire, it's horrifying and not just cathartic. Though they're still Nazis so you don't feel THAT bad, it's a cool horror movie moment rather than a "oh the humanity" moment.

As for Stroheim the "heroic" Nazi, he bumbles into hubristically empowering the evil super-beings twice, and gets blown up/dismembered three times. He's hardly aspirational and at best works with the heroes to try and fix his monstrous gently caress-ups.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

somepartsareme posted:

This actually completely stops happening by midway through part 4 over two decades ago

Mostly by moving to abusing different types of animal. Lateral move, although spreading out the abuse across the animal kingdom does make it less noticeable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

Jojo Part 2's treatment of Nazis is weird, in that it sorta slightly humanizes them a little, like the Nazi who shows the heroes a picture of his girlfriend he's gonna marry next week immediately before he dies like it's a buddy cop movie. I suspect it's less out of any actual fondness for Nazism, and more so that when hordes of them are murdered by an ancient aztec double-vampire, it's horrifying and not just cathartic. Though they're still Nazis so you don't feel THAT bad, it's a cool horror movie moment rather than a "oh the humanity" moment.

As for Stroheim the "heroic" Nazi, he bumbles into hubristically empowering the evil super-beings twice, and gets blown up/dismembered three times. He's hardly aspirational and at best works with the heroes to try and fix his monstrous gently caress-ups.

yea I'm not gonna pretend Jojo's nazi poo poo isn't not weird because it is but it's really hardly 'sympathetic'. Stroheim is the only Nazi that isn't near instant horror fodder and, yea, his entire character arc is 'oopsen I have empowered das supen vampyres yet again' and the rest of the cast going 'you're objectively the dumbest person here' while he gets mangled.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Not gonna defend the pedophile orangutan though. It's an amazing premise on paper, because a big aspect of this part is that the setting's new defining superpower is something not solely relegated to buff punch-men, anyone can have it, so a big aspect is determining who your opponent in a fight even IS as they can just be a nondescript rando hiding in plain sight. So here we have this scenario where the bad guy is a goddamn monkey you thought was just some guy's pet, with his superpower being the ocean liner you're standing on. It really ratchets up the paranoia that bad guys going forward can be literally anybody and their power could be literally anything.

And it's a super intelligent monkey that smokes cigarettes and solves Rubik's cubes, that's amazing! Which I guess was the problem, because it's so goofy it wraps around to being likeable enough you'd feel bad about a guy punching its head in, leading to the question "What's the worst thing I could have the monkey do that would make people not root for it? I know, make it a leering pedophile! :dumb: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Asterite34 posted:

Not gonna defend the pedophile orangutan though.

:mods: