Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a thread for this or any related games? This looks amazing and I'm probably going to buy it and I'd love to talk about it with other goons. I absolutely loved the original Chaos Gate from the late 90s and I was watching Beaglerush (the XCOM streamer) play this last night and I'm really hype for it.

gently caress it, I made one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001507

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

citizen sleeper loving rules. it's a good game, it's a great story, it's an incredible little world.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I lost a health point trying to get the tie. :catstare:

<quote is not edit>

The first two times I tried to get that tie I died of a heart attack

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Retrowave

quote:

Neon lights, palm trees, synthwave, '80s supercars speeding down an endless highway... Welcome to the world of Retrowave!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256811287/movie480_vp9.webm
96% positive based on ~6000 reviews.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also finished Citizen Sleeper this weekend. Cool game, if a bit short. Largely an interactive fiction/ CYOA game with some dice game mechanics attached. Beautiful artwork and visuals.

My only complaint aside from length is that eventually after a few lucky cycles and well picked upgrades, there isn't much challenge in the actual dice game anymore. By the time I had played through all the major endings I was maxing out credits and health bars every day. Once you "solve" the game part, it's mostly just clicking through to read the story.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

mrmcd posted:

Also finished Citizen Sleeper this weekend. Cool game, if a bit short. Largely an interactive fiction/ CYOA game with some dice game mechanics attached. Beautiful artwork and visuals.

My only complaint aside from length is that eventually after a few lucky cycles and well picked upgrades, there isn't much challenge in the actual dice game anymore. By the time I had played through all the major endings I was maxing out credits and health bars every day. Once you "solve" the game part, it's mostly just clicking through to read the story.

I noticed that too but I kind of liked it from a "ludonarrative consonance" standpoint. Mechanically, when you start the game, you are constantly struggling to keep up. You're sacrificing health or energy constantly, you're always struggling to survive, you can feel yourself on the knife edge. Then by the end of the game, you're getting by. You have your little life put together and mechanically, you can feel that sense of relief. There was a point where I realized that, mechanically, I could just live my life on the space station without having to worry about dying. I thought it was a really interesting way that the physical gameplay itself mirrored the character's condition in the game.

Does that make for compelling gameplay? YMMV on that, but luckily the game is short (6-8 hours) so for me, the experiment worked.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

That Dang Dad posted:

I noticed that too but I kind of liked it from a "ludonarrative consonance" standpoint. Mechanically, when you start the game, you are constantly struggling to keep up. You're sacrificing health or energy constantly, you're always struggling to survive, you can feel yourself on the knife edge. Then by the end of the game, you're getting by. You have your little life put together and mechanically, you can feel that sense of relief. There was a point where I realized that, mechanically, I could just live my life on the space station without having to worry about dying. I thought it was a really interesting way that the physical gameplay itself mirrored the character's condition in the game.

Does that make for compelling gameplay? YMMV on that, but luckily the game is short (6-8 hours) so for me, the experiment worked.

Yeah, I came away from it thinking the same thing. I'd wager that it's even intentional, that you reach a certain level of stability on the station where you could see yourself living there indefinitely.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sachant posted:

Yeah, I came away from it thinking the same thing. I'd wager that it's even intentional, that you reach a certain level of stability on the station where you could see yourself living there indefinitely.

Actually, would someone mind spoiling if you can stay in the station indefinitely? I'm of a mind to sit around and churn through all the content, but don't want to run into some hidden timer. A simple yes/no is all I need.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Haystack posted:

Actually, would someone mind spoiling if you can stay in the station indefinitely? I'm of a mind to sit around and churn through all the content, but don't want to run into some hidden timer. A simple yes/no is all I need.

yes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1904040/Fantasy_Fishing_Town/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256876762/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1650687329

quote:

Welcome to Fantasy Fishing Town! Cute pixel graphic x side scroll fishing. It's a unique pleasure! Legendary fish! You're mine!
No reviews since it doesn't unlock for a couple hours. I love fishing minigames, but I don't like both hyperrealistic ones or ones that are mixed with crafting/farming/building kind of games so this one looks interesting.

Also, this cool game which I saw in the creator's youtube channel. It's basically worldle in a way, you fly around a textured globe with a day/night cycle, picking up packages in certain places and then doing your best to deliver them to the correct city somewhere around the globe. Nice and relaxing, but very challenging in terms of geography. https://sebastian.itch.io/geographical-adventures

I also wanted to recommend a game I posted earlier after playing it. This game is really really fun, challenging, and takes a unique approach towards city building/governance. I really like it and would strongly recommend it to anyone who is interested. I also absolutely love the graphical style they chose, in some ways that retro style looks better than anything else:

Play fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 10, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

And some I missed earlier:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1185490/Dark_Quest_Board_Game/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256882875/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1650755106

quote:

A roguelike adventure board game where you build a party, draw adventure cards, roll dice and fight monsters to defeat the sorcerer and his magic
Early Access. Mixed reviews (25 positive, 8 negative) with complaints about being short.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1873570/Everblade/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256869476/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1645882214

quote:

Avenge a crumbling world in this varied platformer. Jump, fight, climb, and fly through worlds full of hazards and puzzles. Discover hidden treasures and develop new skills and devastating attacks to aid in your fight against the hordes of evil. Will you succeed and restore order to the world?
Very old school action platformer. Only two reviews, both positive.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612770/Sweet_Transit/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256865123/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1639573231

quote:

Sweet Transit is a unique city builder where the railway is king and trains are the sole means of transportation. Quaint villages will expand to bustling cities, farms to industrious factories, and steam-powered rail to combustious diesel... and beyond in this interconnected, train-driven world.
Very much in early access/beta form it seems, but looks pretty cool.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The original Heroes of Might and Magic's spiritual pixel art successor Songs of Conquest is out today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256879255/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648162287

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658290/Eiyuden_Chronicle_Rising/

quote:

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is an action RPG set in the same world as Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Features town-upgrading mechanics, fast-paced combat. A prequel to the world of the Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.

I don't know what this is

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Well, it's

quote:

an action RPG set in the same world as Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Features town-upgrading mechanics, fast-paced combat. A prequel to the world of the Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.

Looks kinda neat though. The game they're referring to is slated to come next year and is more of a traditional turn-based jRPG, by the looks of things.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rad Russian posted:

The original Heroes of Might and Magic's spiritual pixel art successor Songs of Conquest is out today.

* in Early Access.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Well, it's

Looks kinda neat though. The game they're referring to is slated to come next year and is more of a traditional turn-based jRPG, by the looks of things.

Yeah the game coming out next year is a kickstarted project for a not-Suikoden game.

This one looks to be a pretty simple beat-em-up 2d platformer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We Were Here Forever is out today, the fourth game in the We Were Here series. I've played the first few puzzles and it's been solid so far. each game in the series has been substantially better than the last so I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of puzzles this one has down the line.

for those unfamiliar We Were Here is a first person puzzle series for 2 players where puzzles require a lot of voice communication and asymmetrical roles. the players are usually separated so you need to verbally describe what you can see to your partner and work out what you're supposed to do. they're extremely budget, but the puzzle design is highly varied and challenging enough to be engaging without ever getting too absurd, and there aren't many other games like them.

(from we were here 3)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's always fun playing games like that. I played the first game with my gf and there's a part where, from my pov, I'm just setting up some stage backgrounds, making sure the right characters are on stage and such. Nothing too harrowing. Meanwhile I'm hearing my gf get more and more harried on the other side of the mic because some sort of shadow harlequin is getting closer and closer to murder her while I'm just like

"So is the king on the correct side of the stage?"
"he's getting closer!"
"Okay but the king?"

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Morpheus posted:

It's always fun playing games like that. I played the first game with my gf and there's a part where, from my pov, I'm just setting up some stage backgrounds, making sure the right characters are on stage and such. Nothing too harrowing. Meanwhile I'm hearing my gf get more and more harried on the other side of the mic because some sort of shadow harlequin is getting closer and closer to murder her while I'm just like

"So is the king on the correct side of the stage?"
"he's getting closer!"
"Okay but the king?"

lmao yeah, my wife and I had a similar experience with that exact same puzzle. I was oblivious that there was a shadow puppet thing approaching her so I was like "uhhh, how's this?" while she was freaking out the entire time

We also had fun with the chess puzzle where we got queens and kings confused.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played it. Kind of an insultingly easy action RPG where you do quests, talk to people, advance the story, and visit the same areas repeatedly to collect things and such. It's not bad at all, but the combat is pretty uninspiring and overall gameplay is just basic. Not bad if you just wanna chill, but you can tell it's made by JRPG devs (or so I assume, since the action almost seems like a weird mix of the two).

Also I've been playing more of Trek to Yomi, I doubt it has it's own thread so I'll just say here that drat I love the style of this game and I'm really enjoying getting immersed in it. Haven't gotten too far but it's a banger for me

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

We Were Here Forever is out today, the fourth game in the We Were Here series. I've played the first few puzzles and it's been solid so far. each game in the series has been substantially better than the last so I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of puzzles this one has down the line.

for those unfamiliar We Were Here is a first person puzzle series for 2 players where puzzles require a lot of voice communication and asymmetrical roles. the players are usually separated so you need to verbally describe what you can see to your partner and work out what you're supposed to do. they're extremely budget, but the puzzle design is highly varied and challenging enough to be engaging without ever getting too absurd, and there aren't many other games like them.

(from we were here 3)

As someone who played the others with a windows/mac pair. Be warned this new one dropped mac support.

.random
May 7, 2007

Also if you play it in the same room as someone else but on separate computers, be aware that the other person is going to get fed up with you at some point and cheat and look at your screen and ruin the game.

What? No, of course this never happened to me and I’m definitely not still frustrated about it, what do you mean?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hatchwell

quote:

A series of disruptive events cause uneasiness among the people. The mayor needs your help to investigate different parts of Hatchwell and figure out what's causing these events, which seem to worsen as the day goes by.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256856262/movie480_vp9.webm

One positive review so far.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That looks cute enough to add to the wishlist and watch for more reviews.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Also, in case anyone was wondering, the Gloomhaven video game is an accurate simulation of the board game, for better or worse. As a fan, I'm very happy with it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Somfin posted:

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the Gloomhaven video game is an accurate simulation of the board game, for better or worse. As a fan, I'm very happy with it.

I enjoyed it in the begging but then I started getting to a point where every mission was a super-long slog and I would lose right near the end just by running out of cards, which is super lame.

But maybe I was playing it wrong?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Red Rox posted:

I enjoyed it in the begging but then I started getting to a point where every mission was a super-long slog and I would lose right near the end just by running out of cards, which is super lame.

You playing solo or with friends? Because I find the experience vastly different and absolutely cannot play it solo without it feeling like a job. With friends, it's basically the opposite.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Red Rox posted:

That's kind of the the Gloomhaven experience, yeah. Our group with the pen and paper version ended up doing a few "let's just pretend we won and move on" missions where we barely lost by running out of cards and we didn't feel like running that scenario again.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

frytechnician posted:

You playing solo or with friends? Because I find the experience vastly different and absolutely cannot play it solo without it feeling like a job. With friends, it's basically the opposite.

I'm in the middle of a 4 player tabletop run of Jaws of the Lion and that is a quick and lightweight little game once you get it set up- and its tutorial missions are the best possible intro to the game- but running even just two mercenaries solo through the video game tutorial's short missions has been a real slog of trying not to step on my own toes.

As I said, it's very accurate to the real thing. GH is best played as an RPG where you have your own little dude with your own little deck, you know as little as possible about your allies' abilities, and you occasionally cheekily let someone else take a hit while you loot the room. It's incredibly taxing if you have to double that brain load.

E: I say lightweight because with four players there's very little need to play perfectly and "good enough" usually carries the day. It's definitely a heavy ruleset but it feels quite casual and breezy once you come to grips with how little you can plan ahead.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2022

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The Gloomhaven learning curve is rough for a lot of people, and some things that seem like they should be minor mistakes can quietly compound into a heartbreaking last second scenario loss.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your ultimate constraint is running out of cards (not health, because as long as you have cards, you can burn them to ignore damage). Burning cards shortens all future rest cycles, so it's much better to burn cards late in a scenario (where you're borrowing from fewer future rest cycles) than early, unless it has a really vital persistent effect.

The second most important thing is that "tank" isn't really a role in Gloomhaven. Even the characters with big beefy health pools are better off dodging than taking hits and healing, because healing costs card plays that could be better spent doing something that actually makes progress. You can avoid a lot of damage with clever manipulation of initiative, and it's important to keep cards with a variety of different initiatives in your deck so you can have options to go both before and after your enemies.

Internalize these two things, and the rest will fall into place.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Jaws of the Lion for Gloomhaven is meant to be a bit more beginner friendly and is set to be released in two days as DLC for the game.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

frytechnician posted:

Ah ok yeah I was trying to play it solo. The longer missions do feel a lot like work!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Red Rox posted:

Ah ok yeah I was trying to play it solo. The longer missions do feel a lot like work!

Calculating initiative turns is what ultimately makes the game almost impossible for me in solo. It saps all the fun out of the game - you just get paralysed by overthinking. With buddies? One of the best co-op games I've ever played.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ampersat

quote:

A shooty, slashy, RPG-y game mixing retro and modern sensibilities. A blend of influences from Gauntlet & Smash TV to Zelda & Angband, Ampersat is a handcrafted adventure but with appeal to Roguelite fans. Battle ASCII creatures in colorful areas & free letters to return language to the village!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256823213/movie480_vp9.webm

90% positive based on ten reviews.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is forthcoming, but Card Shark is worth keeping an eye on.

quote:

Instead, Card Shark is all about the palming and stacking and counting of cards, rather than an actual card game like your classic deckbuilders and such like. It will be out in full on June 2nd, but last week I got to play a larger version of the current Steam demo - about four hours worth of it, in fact - and I discovered that while I'm very bad at card games, I am pretty good at (pretend) cheating at them.

You probably will be, too, at first, especially if you can do the ol' rubbing-head-patting-tummy brand of multi-tasking. You, a mute peasant in 18th century France, fall in with a professional fake aristocrat and general rapscallion fraudster called the Comte de Saint-German. He teaches you to write (so your journal, in a nice touch, gets more literate over time) but, more importantly, to help him cheat at cards in increasingly complex ways.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Indie horror game one of my friends is working on

The Chant - Some kind of cult in the woods stuff going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yiGRrpzing

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Got a huge load for y'all

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874880/Arma_Reforger/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256886985/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1652807378

quote:

Experience authentic Cold War combat and join friends in the struggle for a sprawling, 51 km² mid-Atlantic island — or take on the role of Game Master and create your very own scenarios for others to enjoy.
Early Access. Mixed reviews. I guess it's really just sort of a tech demo thing in preparation for Arma 4

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1594940/Little_Witch_in_the_Woods/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256886484/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1652451046

quote:

Little Witch in the Woods tells the story of Ellie, an apprentice witch. Explore the mystical forest, help the charming residents, and experience the daily life of the witch.
Early Access. Very positive reviews (496 to 90). Absolutely adorable with some nice pixel graphics.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1645940/Flaskoman/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845442/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628111565

quote:

Flaskoman is a puzzle platformer in a steampunk laboratory. Use mysterious liquids to activate lab mechanism and your abilities.
5 to 1 positive reviews, only about an hour long.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304420/Super_Cable_Boy/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256783101/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1589730018

quote:

Super Cable Boy is a retro inspired platformer, where you are playing a living handheld gaming system with a power cord. Collect game cartridges to become more powerful and take on your quest to defeat "the Glitch", an entity that 1▧01☠01௹1‱☣∰0␢⌀▧ ..
Pretty cool little retro platformer with a nice art style, what you see is what you get. Positive reviews (61 to 0 in fact)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1576740/One_Escape/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256828966/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1635501293

quote:

Three friends. One Escape.
Nifty little level-based puzzle platformer where animals with six packs escape jail. I thought it was pretty fun and it's cheap, although the sound isn't very good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1798810/ChefyChef/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256867256/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642350133

quote:

Once again approaching the refrigerator, Chefy magically finds himself in new worlds in which he has to find the ingredients for his favorite dish!
Fun and cute little level based platformer. 8 positive reviews, 0 negative.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1792270/Sky_Caravan/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256885397/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1651777892

quote:

Welcome to the Skyways, caravaneer. Complete missions, manage your ship’s resources and make tough decisions to keep your crew alive and happy. Or not. Choices have lasting consequences in this Text-Based RPG. You are the captain - and the clouds are waiting!
Fun little interactive narrative game. 20 positive, 0 negative reviews. Has a demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612780/The_Centennial_Case__A_Shijima_Story/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256872979/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644512480

quote:

Unravel the mysteries of death, and find the answers to life.A unique Mystery-Adventure Game:The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story
A CYOA detective FMV game that looks pretty interesting, but I haven't played it yet. Apparently has a good soundtrack and solid acting. Mostly Positive reviews (184 to 54)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334540/Vox_Machinae/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256876277/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1646335144

quote:

Strap yourself into the cockpit of a robot seven times taller than a Tyrannosaurus Rex and prepare to do battle in Vox Machinae: the ultimate giant robot combat action-simulator for both VR and standard screens.
I played this one and loved what I saw so far. I don't have VR but this one really does seem to work okay without it just using a controller. Very Positive reviews (932 to 94)

Also, Salt and Sacrifice came out which seems pretty cool if it's your thing, but it's only on Epic. Plus that new Evil Dead asymmetrical MP game

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Good game, definitely worth looking at. You'll know within the refund window whether you like it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Huh this looks neat but the gifs hurt my head a little. Grew up on ZZT so I have nothing against ASCII but the color contrast and backgrounds look super busy. The sprawling skill tree and the stat screen with all the tiny text are no joke very tantalizing, though. Glad there's a demo & I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the heads up

edit: ^^^^^^ Little Witch In The Woods also dropped on Gamepass today, if you have that. Haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

goferchan posted:

edit: ^^^^^^ Little Witch In The Woods also dropped on Gamepass today, if you have that. Haven't tried it yet.

Appears to be labelled a preview - any idea how much game's in there?