Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Brawler apparently had very little dps, but was buffed a ton in the anniversary patch. Not sure if it's enough to make it but suck. The gundabad and class for LP happened in the last update within the week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
My brawler is still only level 20 but one-punches things since the patch. Going to level boost him to 50 tomorrow and see if he can one-punch Moria goblins.

Also definitely go hobbit brawler for maximum hilarity, as your pull is throwing mugs and shoes emphasizing that you're essentially a drunken goon flailing their way through Middle Earth while Elrond face-palms a lot. Getting the Shire Brewmaster title is a requirement.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 8, 2022

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I came back to the game after over a year long break and started a brawler as well. I refuse to boost and will enjoy the journey instead. If old patterns hold, by the time I get to "endgame," the class will have been tweaked several times and will be good in every specialization.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

The new vid by Josh Strife Hayes is on LOTRO and amusing as ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZshgYbtUmM

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, he does solid work. There are couple of mistakes in it, but that's understandable for a new player.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm surprised he didn't talk about tech issues. He tried to do a LOTRO video a few months ago, and it just straight up wouldn't run, so he bailed on it for the time. I was hoping to hear what he did to finally get it to work. I know his issue wasn't isolated.

I was glad that at least he used the boost to see how pretty the modern landscapes are. I wish he had gotten to be able to see what a cluster gently caress and how cash-shop-driven end game armor is (the essence system is such, such trash).

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

looking sharp babyyyyyyyyy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

My brawler is still only level 20 but one-punches things since the patch. Going to level boost him to 50 tomorrow and see if he can one-punch Moria goblins.

Also definitely go hobbit brawler for maximum hilarity, as your pull is throwing mugs and shoes emphasizing that you're essentially a drunken goon flailing their way through Middle Earth while Elrond face-palms a lot. Getting the Shire Brewmaster title is a requirement.

yea I'm not sure how 'optimized' the class is but I used my big boost on my hobbit brawler and I'm pretty easily killing most anything that gives me trouble, plus I'm a fuckin hobbit whipping a beer mug at an orc and squaring up like 'yea bring it on ugly', how can that not be objectively a good class?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I'm a very new player and I've saved about a hundred anniversary marks. Where do I spend them, and what should I spend them on?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pioneer42 posted:

I'm a very new player and I've saved about a hundred anniversary marks. Where do I spend them, and what should I spend them on?

in Bree there is a tent with a bunch of horses north of the Boar fountain. I think you can buy special mounts and cosmetics, etc at a vendor there

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is it possible to get level 140 gear without having standing anywhere? I may be a bit behind with landscape quests and have been levelling in festivals.

Auction house for crafted gear, obviously.
Do mathom hunter's armour drops scale to 140?

Anywhere else?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Brawler is fun. Glad I picked it up. Love punching things to death. But where do I get new weapons? They aren't quest drops, and the skirmish vendor doesn't seem to have any. Buy them off the AH?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SettingSun posted:

Brawler is fun. Glad I picked it up. Love punching things to death. But where do I get new weapons? They aren't quest drops, and the skirmish vendor doesn't seem to have any. Buy them off the AH?

Or get a weaponsmith to make them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
only trust your fists
bounders will never help you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
ABAB

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Clarence posted:

Is it possible to get level 140 gear without having standing anywhere? I may be a bit behind with landscape quests and have been levelling in festivals.

Auction house for crafted gear, obviously.
Do mathom hunter's armour drops scale to 140?

Anywhere else?
Yes, it is possible to gear up without rep. Can get crafted armor/jewellery, an offhand item from trader in anaz-khurfu (sp?) using embers, and pocket item from geode hunting.

If you want crafted armor and/or jewellery, do some treasure hunting and get sunstone shards from the silver chests here: https://mynameisgonz.com/lotro/guides/fate-of-gundabad-explorers-guide Then send a message to Trade channel looking for a crafter for what you need.

If you want embers, do the gundabad allegiance weekly quests from the entrance to the hall of verzonal in steepset. Pick up the 20 quests weekly and then run forges/lofts dailies for 15 of the 20. Then can run Dhurstrok solo at level 131/132 to knock out the 6 instances weekly. The forge/loft dailies are the best source for enhancement runes to upgrade your traceries.

Even if you're not fully geared up, you can get some decent drops from level 140 Pughlak, Dhurstrok, and House of Rest at T1. It's best if you have a decent group for them if you're undergeared. Once you are a little better geared then you can try out the Hiddenhoard of Abanaka (sp?) raid for another weekly 500 embers.

Finally, this site is a decent resource for figuring out what to do at 140, and if you're on Landroval I will help you run whatever you like.
https://lotroplayers.com/2021/12/20/help-im-140-u31-guide/

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks!

I'm on Evernight, and most casual of casuals. I think I've only raided once and that was on my Captain who only got to level 68.

Not that I really need gear. I was doing the epic quests when I was playing the captain, so when I started this champion I'd "get to them later". That turned into waiting until max level and I played infrequently enough that I never got there until now. I may be a tad over-levelled.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Clarence posted:

Not that I really need gear. I was doing the epic quests when I was playing the captain, so when I started this champion I'd "get to them later". That turned into waiting until max level and I played infrequently enough that I never got there until now. I may be a tad over-levelled.
Me too. Thanks to the 120 boost, I now have a max level hunter with which to work on level 70 story quests. :D

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I've been playing this MMO off an on for eight years now apparently. I saw that the Brawler class could finally be bought independently of the expansion pack, and man, it feels good running around as a Hobbit punching stuff to death.
Game is good.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Just got absolutely stomped trying our first Big Battle at Helms Dike. Not sure what we could have contributed more since we don't have enough points to actually get rank 1 in Engineer or Officer.

Was there something obvious we missed? We were doing a 2-man version of the instance

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Big Battles are one of the worst parts of the game. I'd recommend just doing the Storied Tales versions of Helm's Deep and moving on to Gondor, which is way better than Rohan.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i don't remember why but i remember helm's dike sucking rear end and taking forever. even the later epic battles get better.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I did not like Helm's Deep at all. I personally think it's when LOTRO hit its lowest point.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Witeldram posted:

I did not like Helm's Deep at all. I personally think it's when LOTRO hit its lowest point.

The epic battles suck, but the questing content at least was less painful than in Riders of Rohan. Still wasn't good, but at least it wasn't an endless slog of copy/pasted quest hubs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

The epic battles suck, but the questing content at least was less painful than in Riders of Rohan. Still wasn't good, but at least it wasn't an endless slog of copy/pasted quest hubs.

You had to do them all in order through the epic questline or you wouldn't even see sidequests. Before that you could explore/skip stuff. The whole expansion is garbage.

I think that's the one with dishwashing as an epic quest stage as well.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the epic battles are pretty bad until you get to at least level 100+. the rewards aren't better than rep gear you can find and rewards from missions you can do a lot of at earlier levels

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Epic Battles are pretty bad, but worse is tying trait points to quest chains.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I still don’t have those Rohan ones lol, might just buy the book if it goes on sale again

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Glass of Milk posted:

The Epic Battles are pretty bad, but worse is tying trait points to quest chains.

On that note, for the level 50 class quests that require drops from the Angmar instances, is it best to just overlevel them and come back when you can solo them?

e: Nm. Wiki says you can buy them all for less than 700 skirmish marks.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 11, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaysette posted:

i don't remember why but i remember helm's dike sucking rear end and taking forever. even the later epic battles get better.

The Epic Battles at Minias Tirith took forever too and I hope I never have to go back to them because while I remember doing the 12 man raid once in Helm's Deep it was still just a giant mess and basically required everyone to have grinded up to max in their respective specializations and pull off their tasks flawlessly.

...for no reward of any note. I think all the gear from those battles could drop in the solo mode too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Getting the itch to log in again and check stuff out for the first time in 9 years. My old characters are (were) all on Silverlode... is there really no way to transfer them to Landroval, or is this help documentation out of date?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There are no legacy transfers AND the documentation is probably out-of-date. The best of both worlds!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Drone posted:

Getting the itch to log in again and check stuff out for the first time in 9 years. My old characters are (were) all on Silverlode... is there really no way to transfer them to Landroval, or is this help documentation out of date?

Clean slate buddy!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Drone posted:

if you log in today or tomorrow you may be able to auto-level to 120.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
A couple of days ago I got the idea to play this for the first time for some reason, and it's a pretty chill and fun game. I now have a level 12 loremaster but have 2 questions:

- Does paying monthly give you access to the fast travel system? I've quite enjoyed the slow pace of travelling from place to place but some of the back and forth is starting to get a llittle annoying when there's a fast travel system available but costs premium coins
- Are there any wizard hats or other overly big hats for the Loremaster class?

edit: Question 3: What is the best hat in the game?

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2022

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fake Name posted:

A couple of days ago I got the idea to play this for the first time for some reason, and it's a pretty chill and fun game. I now have a level 12 loremaster but have 2 questions:

- Does paying monthly give you access to the fast travel system? I've quite enjoyed the slow pace of travelling from place to place but some of the back and forth is starting to get a llittle annoying when there's a fast travel system available but costs premium coins
- Are there any wizard hats or other overly big hats for the Loremaster class?

yes! there are tons of hat cosmetics, I've definitely seen wizard hats. as to where they are, I have no idea. also:

Benefits

Access to all Quest Packs and the Mordor, Minas Morgul and War of Three Peaks expansions, leaving only the current Fate of Gundabad expansion.

500 LOTRO Points per month *

Legendary Server access *

7 Character slots per server

75 Inventory Slots

5 additional Quest Log slots

Swift Travel to more than the starting zones *

Can acquire the horse riding skill for free from a quest at level 20

VIP Bonus XP (Automatic Rest XP) - Daily +100% XP for 30% of your next level

Weekly Gold Hobbit Gifts

The following benefits (activated by a repeatable Quest that awards Subscriber Town Services and Subscriber's Jug items):

Accelerated crafting speed

Immunity to item wear from combat, crafting, and defeat

Field access to a shop for selling, buyback, and repairs

Field access to vault, shared storage, and wardrobe

Field access to auctions

Field access to forge-master and relic-master services

20 Shared Wardrobe slots

Maximum Active Auction House listings

Unlimited Crafting Guild access

Can spend Destiny Points on in-game perks *

Freep access to PvMP

All monster classes available

Priority Login

Unlimited Chat

Maximum mail availability, including access to mail anywhere in Middle Earth; a mail-box is not required

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 11, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You only have to sub for one month to get permanent access to fast travel. Only on those characters that you log in with during your subscription though, new characters made afterwards won’t have access. It’s completely worth it to pay for one month just to unlock fast travel, not having it at level 12 is fine, but it will become increasingly annoying the more locations you go to and the more back and forth you have to do.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

wizardofloneliness posted:

You only have to sub for one month to get permanent access to fast travel. Only on those characters that you log in with during your subscription though, new characters made afterwards won’t have access. It’s completely worth it to pay for one month just to unlock fast travel, not having it at level 12 is fine, but it will become increasingly annoying the more locations you go to and the more back and forth you have to do.

Oh nice, thank you both. Also I have found my first wizard hat so it's going well. It's a chill game to play whilst listening to the silmarillion on audiobook lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

It's so weird that's the one thing they left VIP-locked for new characters. Think they honestly forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Slow traveling is cool and fun until you're trying to do the epic quests and you have to travel to and from Rivendell 30 times to ask Elrond questions.