Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

AITA for having feminine products in MY room?

People who talk about disrespect continue to be straight garbage.

Respect is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Electric Wrigglies posted:

If she was already attached, do you think she would appreciate if the lead from a workmate is "Hi workmate, please meet someone I would like to set you up with" or "hey here is the contact details of someone that has the same sexual preferences to you and possibly a mutual desire"? If it had gone down like that (and it would have likely gone badly) the recommendation would in future be to find out if they are indeed single and looking before trying to set up (maybe his sister asked him if the workmate he was talking about was single and he didn't know?).

She cut him off at the earliest opportunity (which is her right of course) so considering how quickly and aggressively she spurned his offer, he is probably thinking he was lucky not to inflict his workmate on his sister like he originally thought was a good idea.

You know people can become friends without dating, right? The car park approach was explicitly trying to set them up, hence the "you single?" lead-in; introducing them more socially leaves it up to the women involved and doesn't even have to bring their orientation into it.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, FFS. Why not just tell sis he's got a hot gaydar-pinging work friend, come over at lunchtime some day and I'll introduce you? Or hey workmate I mentioned you to my sister and she thinks you sound nice here's her instagram rather than this secret agent burn-after-reading thing? He chose the skeeviest possible way to go about it. Set himself up to fail.

She'll just have to chalk it up to experience though.

I got no say in what women find creepy, but is it really less creepy to bring a stranger to the coworker at her job?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

*bursts into thread, out of breath and panting, after detecting an opportunity to contribute my opinion AS A MAN*

She had a right to shut him down and even go to her boss, but lol at wanting take-backsies after her boss did the actual work of assessing the guy as harmless and has a hot sister.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think "hey, meet my sister and be friends with her" is really all that different from "hey, meet my sister and date her" in terms of social pressure and propriety. especially if she just shows up to lunch out of nowhere one day (?!)

guy was fine asking, fine trying to clear up the miscommunication, but shouldn't have said "what's your problem". like other people have said though, the real meat is in her attitude afterwards of trying to take it all back

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They had every right to shut him down, dude was coming across hardcore creepy.
They do not have the right to try and get takebacks after learning his sister is hot. You made your choice, live with it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Everyone shut up about that and check out this flaming wreck of a post

AITA for taking my nephew's Waifu away?

quote:

My sister and her husband got arrested so now i have custody of her 2 children. One of them is 16 years old and he is a total social outcast, he's one of those basement dwelling dweebs who does nothing but jerks off, plays video games and watch anime. He has a waifu doll which is some japanese cartoon woman on a giant pillow, like 1.5 meters tall. He cuddles it and talks to it.

I am not going to tolerate this degeneracy. My sister and her husband failed her kids. I threw away all his waifu poo poo and I take him to a therapist every week. I also wake him and his sister up at 5 am to work, do some training poo poo I did in the army. I also make them study, they went from having like 5s and 6s to all 10s (perfect scores) so I think im doign good. They both are starting to look really fit too.

My family is quite pissed saying Im adding too much stress on them. At first my nephew was loving pissed saying he misse's his love and thats the only girl that'll ever love him. Well yesterday I saw with a girl who hugged and kissed him on the cheek. I asked him about that and he told me she asked him out on a movie date. I see that I brought him confidence and that he's doign better however my other sister is trying to fight us in the court system to take custody of my kids. My other sister is a fat slob, like 220 kilos and her house is a disgusting shithole, it could be on one of those hoarder shows. I literally saw cat feces on teh floor and when i visited a week later I saw the exact same feces so obviously i'll fight tooth and nail to stop them from living there. I can't see how i could possibly be in the wrong but im constantly fighting all my family who call me abusive rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo so maybe im wrong?

Apologies for poo poo English

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boy is that fake as hell.

Funny thing is waking teens up at 5am is a horrible idea, they genuinely need more sleep and will not develop healthily like that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Two people can both be lovely parents in different ways, op.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is waking teens up at 5am is a horrible idea, they genuinely need more sleep and will not develop healthily like that.

The post was awful but I can't say I don't disagree with the message of "anime, not even once"

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, there's an almost identical one from two weeks ago that got deleted almost instantly.

quote:

I saw this amitheasshole poo poo on the Matt Walsh show or something and decided to try it. I know reddits main demographic is basement dwellers, neckbeards, and woke millennials who failed at life so I'm not going to take the advice too seriously.

I'm 28 years old and I'm a major in the marine corps and I'm based out in North Carolina, just came back from Okinawa while most of my family is in New Hampshire. 3 months ago my sister got arrested for meth possession for the second time as well as stealing some weird African rat from a zoo or something. Child services took the kids and handed them to me. I told my family they're all pieces of poo poo for not taking the kids as I have another sister and brother who live in the same area and have kids of their own, and houses with 1-2 spare bedrooms. Kids could've gone to the same school but they're just too "busy" or "unable" to do it so I had to step up. gently caress them.

My sister had 2 sons, 15, 7 years old and a 13 year old daughter. All of these kids had problems, the younger too aren't so bad, just needed better habits like brushing teeth, going to bed earlier and studying more. The older one is a neckbeard. He's fat, gross, and his room was covered in this anime poo poo. Even has one of those hentai body pillows. From what I heard from my daughter he creeps all the girls out and nobody likes him. He even apparently talks to the pillow. I threw out all this anime poo poo. I wake him up everyday at 5 am and I make him workout with me for 2 hours. I do the same in the evening for 30 minutes (other 2 join us). I make him study, he had all Ds and C's, now he has all As. Same for the other kids. In 2 months he's gone from 270 pounds to 225 (he's 5"11). I give him weekends off from everything, except for 2 hours of Chinese lessons on Sundays (Tuesdays too). He was super pissed at first and he still kind of is saying I threw away his prized possessions, he doesn't want to learn Chinese and that he hates working out. The family is all pissed at me and now they want custody of him. I told them they can all gently caress off because I'm actually raising them right. Not going to let him become some loser neckbeard dweller.

Looks like they tried again with very slightly less obvious trolling.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Oh boy here we go

Midnight Voyager posted:

The professional artist world vehemently disagrees with you, especially since knowing who drew something could potentially mean future business for them. Photoshopping out people's signatures is a giant no-no, and signatures are normal, partially because fuckers are just allergic to attributing art to anybody. I don't follow many artists, but every single one of them I follow has had incidents with people stealing their art. Some of them by actual businesses!

This. Hi I'm an artist. If you want my signature not on something it's likely for commercial use and that's going to cost you a lot. gently caress off if you think I'm not getting paid for that poo poo.

MisterOblivious posted:

A lot of artists have been burned and the ones that insist on strict contractual terms are the intelligent artists' that insist everything is done according to contract. It's why everybody involved in the industry should know the "gently caress You, Pay Me" lecture by heart. That video and the discussion is the video should be a credited, mandatory, class.

This; go watch Mike Monteiro give the gently caress you pay me speech for designers and artists.

Additionally nobody owes you any conversation about their relationship status, especially not at work, and if someone tells you once "I'm not interested" that's "gently caress off" and you should accept that. It doesn't matter that you're not talking about dating you, it matters that they told you they're not interested. Take the L, walk away.

It does seem hilarious that she was like "wait, hot sister" but it smacks of romcom too.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Everyone shut up about that and check out this flaming wreck of a post

AITA for taking my nephew's Waifu away?

Lol holy gently caress this is creative but not in a good way

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
That kid upgraded from anime pillow loser camp to kiss army, army uncle is a saint.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Bonster posted:

Yeah, there's an almost identical one from two weeks ago that got deleted almost instantly.

Looks like they tried again with very slightly less obvious trolling.

Ah, I missed that one.

Here, have some extreme pettiness instead

AITA For asking my friend to pay me back for a cocktail two weeks after she said she would?

quote:

I went to visit one of my best friends for the weekend who lives about 4 hours away from me. I don’t drive so it took multiple trains and busses to get there, costing a substantial amount of money - which I don’t mind. In return she provided breakfast, lunch and one dinner. Her house is also big and beautiful and due to having to spend my paycheques helping out my close family, I sleep between friends, family and my partner - so it’s a really nice getaway for me.

On the final night we went out for dinner and agreed to pay for ourselves. I stuck to soft drinks as I didn’t want the extra cost of alcohol, but my two other friends got cocktails/wine. When their cards didn’t work (poor reception) I offered to pay and they both agreed to pay me back. One has, but the one who hosted (and got an expensive fancy cocktail) has not.

2 weeks later I sent a friendly reminder and my friend messaged back to say she was surprised I would ask her for money since she hosted.

Normally I wouldn’t care and would cover the cost as a thank you, but I think the weekend cost me more than it did her, and my current (but hopefully short lived) financial pressure from my family means I don’t have a lot of spare income, and she knows this.

I really don’t want to come across as ungrateful as it was a nice weekend, and to show thanks I helped clean and cook while I was there instead. But the cost of that cocktail would cover all my food for the weekend and I can’t help but feel a little sad.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for asking her to pay me back?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Okay, so obviously the friend is an rear end in a top hat for agreeing to pay the money back and then deciding not to, but how expensive is this cocktail if it covers one person's food for an entire weekend?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

yeah I don't see that as petty, just a total disconnect between two people's financial situations which unfortunately happens far too often

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Okay, so obviously the friend is an rear end in a top hat for agreeing to pay the money back and then deciding not to, but how expensive is this cocktail if it covers one person's food for an entire weekend?

Liquor is one of those things where there's no upper limit on how much you can spend.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

20 USD could easily "cover the weekend" if you are talking about buying in bulk and cooking for yourself. It is also within the realm of large expensive "fancy" cocktail without requiring being at too too nice a place.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for complimenting a friend of mine making my fiancée jealous?

quote:

TA and fake names.

I've (29m) known my good friend Sara (29f) since we were both 7 years old. We grew up together and were very close. Sara is very beautiful and stylish. She's working as a bridal consultant and a stylist and she's into the fashion industry so her sense of style is immaculate.

My fiancée Jane (27f) is a lawyer. She has a more casual chic style while Sara has a more glamorous style. And I realise how both women's works and lifestyles also affect their sense of style.

For the record I adore my fiancée.ive been with her since she was 20 and I was 22, proposed to her a year ago and she's the nicest and most supportive woman I've ever met. So before anyone says I may be attracted to Sara over my fiancée remember this. Sara is a good friend but we are not compatible to work as a couple at all. Her life goals do not align with mine and her lifestyle is exhausting for me. While Jane on the other hand and I are compatible in every aspect. Sara is what we'd call conventionally attractive while Jane has a more unique kind of beauty.

Sara is the kind of woman who will make everyone turn their heads and just stare at her whenever she enters a room. She's always been like that. Jane didn't seem to mind at first but later on she started getting bothered whenever I "over complimented" Sara but still didn't make a big deal out of it.

A friend of Sara and I got engaged over the weekend and had his engagement party to his new fiancée. Sara was invited so was I with my wife. As always once Sara walked in everyone turned to look at her. It was one of the best outfits she'd wear and one of the best hairstyles she'd have. I went to greet her and I couldn't stop complimenting her all night long because she truly outdid herself.

I noticed Jane sitting alone later and I went to ask her what's wrong. She replied that I'm ridiculous for asking as if I don't know already. Then my friend's new fiancée and my friend pulled me to the side and told me that they had spotted my fiancée crying in the hallway a while ago and she told them that she feels like she's never going to be as good and pretty as Sara in my eyes and she feels humiliated and jealous. My friend's fiancée also told me that what Sara wore to the engagement party was beyond inappropriate but she wouldn't say anything because she doesn't wanna stir drama and that at some point Sara needs to stop trying to have all the attention to herself constantly trying to overshadow everyone.

AITA?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
God drat I can't imagine how awkward that was for everyone in the room if not only his friend and their fiancee pulled him aside later, but also even in his own telling he was complimenting his friend in front of his own fiancee while completely ignoring her 'all night long'. I'm thinking his tongue and/or eyeballs popping out like looney toons

I tend to not believe most stories posted here anymore but these types somewhat ring true to me because I've seen people do poo poo like this to their SOs (blatantly ogle others, not pop out their eyes) and the situation isnt really interesting enough apart from the guy's stupidity to make it a decent creative writing premise.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for complimenting a friend of mine making my fiancée jealous?

If the guy is this over the top and gushy about how hot Sara is in his AITA post, I can't imagine what it was like in real life.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
He was complimenting Sara so hard he even lost track of whether he has a wife or a fiancée.

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 11, 2022

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I was wondering what "beyond inappropriate" meant

quote:

Because it had a really deep V cut and a high slit that went kinda above the thigh and extended to the torso. Plus it was really sparkly

He's also really pushing back in other comments and it just makes me sad for his fiance.

quote:

I don't know what is or isn't appropriate for an engagement party so I can't duel on that. But my fiancée is very insecure so I am used to her having bitter reactions whenever I compliment Sara but I didn't know that this time she'd take it so personally.

quote:

How is my friend at fault for my fiancée's jealousy and insecurities?

quote:

I get that but also my fiancée should stop getting so bitter every time Sara is around.

quote:

But as long as its in good faith I don't know why either me or my fiancée should be bothered about compliments. Its not like I'm trying to get with Sara.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I was wondering what "beyond inappropriate" meant

He's also really pushing back in other comments and it just makes me sad for his fiance.

Oh this dude is USDA Prime Oblivious. Poor fiancée

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for telling my son-in-law that he should shave his beard?

quote:

I (51f) have two daughters (28 and 26.) My older daughter is married to a 29-year-old man; they've been together for about six years. They have two boys together. He's a really good man--honest, kind, hard-working--and I'm glad my daughter found him.

He's always had this huge, bushy beard, though. I've seen pictures of him when he was in high school, and he was a really good-looking boy. I've always kind of secretly thought that the beard didn't suit him, but I'd kept that opinion to myself.

Recently, however, we were at my younger grandson's first birthday party. Some of the adults (myself, my husband, my two daughters, my SIL, both of his parents, and his sister) were sitting around playing Trivial Pursuit. Maybe I'd had one too many glasses of wine, but I suddenly asked my SIL "You know, you're a really handsome guy. Why are you hiding it under all that fur? Have you ever thought about trying a clean-shaven look?"

Right away his mother laughed and said "Don't bother; I've been on him about that for years and he won't listen to me."

My SIL responded "Yep; the beard's here to stay."

I pushed just a little and asked "But, I mean, what's the harm in shaving it off just once? What's the worst that would happen? You don't like being clean-shaven? You could just grow the beard right back."

He just said "I'm not interested in shaving it at this time."

I answered: "Well it's your face, of course, but you should just consider it."

That was the end of the conversation and we got on with the game. I didn't give it another thought until later after I'd gotten home and my daughter texted me "Why are you telling my husband how to groom himself? That was weird and it wasn't your place."

I showed my husband the text and asked what he thought and he just said "You may have come off more pushy than you meant. He didn't ask your opinion."

I just felt comfortable around my SIL enough to tell him what I thought. I didn't mean to act pushy and I thought I dropped the issue fast enough. But was I wrong to even express my opinion just that once?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

teen witch posted:

Oh this dude is USDA Prime Oblivious. Poor fiancée

This should be the thread title, it covers so much

General Bullshit > r/relationships: Oh this dude is USDA Prime Oblivious

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

beards look like poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hawowanlawow posted:

beards look like poo poo

you look like poo poo

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

hawowanlawow posted:

beards look like poo poo

Lol you haven't seen my chin(s)

The beard is the lesser of two uglies

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's what they all say

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Some dudes can make a beard look good but the number's marginal next to the amount of people where the beard just makes them look less worse.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

hawowanlawow posted:

that's what they all say

Also p sure beards come standard on big fat spectacled guys

You gotta pay extra for the other options

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Whoever the writer is for the anime body pillow sucks at doing research, pretty sure it’s impossible to be a 28 year old major/commander in the US military unless you graduated like two years early, which means you couldn’t do rotc but immediately snagged a slot at OCS and then got promoted at the first possible opportunity every single step in your career.

E: Googled it, minimum possible time is 6 years and 6 months, and getting promoted first time every time just like doesn’t happen.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 11, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Love a nice beard on someone. My proudly blue collar partner is slowly getting into “fancy” beard care and folks, I am a big fan.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I married my man because he has a big fluffy beard, MIL can suck eggs. :colbert:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
More info on the anime sticker person

quote:

Edit: Tow place will be open in a few hours. Im calling as soon as they open. Someone else parked in the handicap spot, and f*ckhead mcgee parked in a no park zone, next to the handicap spot. I just woke up… so now I’m debating having HER towed too, seeing as how she is parked in a no park zone. For those asking, she has a placard. But its for her husband… and he is usually never in the car with her so she’s abusing it. I blew out my discs from the L2-S1 level, so I rely on this spot. Usually by the time I get home every day ALL of rhe parking spots are filled up, and I have to park almost half a mile from home, which isn’t ideal. I’m taking this up with our leasing office later today too to see if we can push them to add more handicap spots. There’s 6 total in our 400+ building complex. As far as paying for the tow goes, I won’t know who’s paying. My guess is she had them tow me over me being parked ever so slightly in the no park zone, but I literally had no choice as the person next to me parked like a foot into the handicap spot.

Also, not that it should color it, but the OP is a lady

quote:

I’m guessing its because I was ever so slightly parked over a “no park zone”, but I literally had no other choice because the person next to me was parked a foot into the handicap space, but she had been complaining about the sticker since she saw me outside putting the drat thing on 🤦🏻‍♀️ She at one point got mad at me for having a “f*ck cancer” sticker too because it was supposedly vulgar.

quote:

They have like maybe 6 handicap spots for the 400 units we have at our apartments. There’s only 2 of which are accessible from my building, but one of them has a car always parked in it, so we’re down to just this one single spot. The other 4 are scattered way far out in the complex. I’ve asked Management to add more (because legally they are supposed to have more), and they’ve been ignoring it saying they’d get back to me.

quote:

She usually uses her husbands placard. So technically, no. She’s only supposed to use it when HE is in the car with her, but she abuses it.

Team Aheagal for me, get more stickers with that sweet lawsuit money.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe if she gets more stickers someone will like one of the stickers and give her money or something instead of just making her life worse

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I realize this is a completely personal opinion but I also hate beards and think they're unappealing, sorry. I'm very glad my husband agrees. I'm team NTA for that mother in law.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I also hate beards and my husband stays clean shaven for me.

MIL is still the rear end in a top hat here, no one asked for or wanted her opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

teen witch posted:

Love a nice beard on someone. My proudly blue collar partner is slowly getting into “fancy” beard care and folks, I am a big fan.

Guy I used to work with claimed to lose part of his beard in a lathe. Make sure your blue collar partners beard is OSHA certified