Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I watched a video review of WCW Spring Stampede 1999 this week, and laughed at the 3-person sleeper hold chain on Hogan/DDP/Sting.

What's the "record" for most people in a simultaneous sleeper hold chain?

Or, if funnier, the same record for most people in a chain submission hold in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I watched a video review of WCW Spring Stampede 1999 this week, and laughed at the 3-person sleeper hold chain on Hogan/DDP/Sting.

What's the "record" for most people in a simultaneous sleeper hold chain?

Or, if funnier, the same record for most people in a chain submission hold in general?

There have been several instances of chain submissions where everyone gets the next dude in a head scissors and then they roll it over and reverse the polarity but the best chain of people spot in history is this one

https://youtu.be/ZO71rAquWIM

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Not enough people know how great Jushin Liger is

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

History Comes Inside! posted:

There have been several instances of chain submissions where everyone gets the next dude in a head scissors and then they roll it over and reverse the polarity but the best chain of people spot in history is this one

https://youtu.be/ZO71rAquWIM

Wow yes there was no exaggeration, this makes my day

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That was amazing and my life is now better for having seen that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Go look at how many of those dudes are now in WWE or AEW too. Insane amount of talent.

Supposedly Liger called/came up with the spot too. Dude is a legend.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

That was amazing and my life is now better for having seen that.

I have tears in my eyes. Truly professional wrestling for all its bad parts can certainly be a force for good in the world.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

harperdc posted:

Go look at how many of those dudes are now in WWE or AEW too. Insane amount of talent.

Supposedly Liger called/came up with the spot too. Dude is a legend.

I'm pretty sure not a single person in that match isn't currently signed or hasn't been signed to either WWE, AEW, or NJPW.

WWE - Alexander, Black, Callahan, Ciampa, Dunne, Kendrick, and Riddle
AEW - Black, Taylor
NJPW - Liger and Cobb

I'm also pretty sure that the only two people not currently signed to any of those companies are Callahan and Kendrick. Pretty impressive really.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure not a single person in that match isn't currently signed or hasn't been signed to either WWE, AEW, or NJPW.

WWE - Alexander, Black, Callahan, Ciampa, Dunne, Kendrick, and Riddle
AEW - Black, Taylor
NJPW - Liger and Cobb

I'm also pretty sure that the only two people not currently signed to any of those companies are Callahan and Kendrick. Pretty impressive really.

Callahan's in Impact, I think. And Kendrick would've been All Elite if he wasn't an anti-Semitic conspiracy nutjob

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Gaz-L posted:

Callahan's in Impact, I think. And Kendrick would've been All Elite if he wasn't an anti-Semitic conspiracy nutjob

But they were both in WWE between that spot and now, though. At least, if I have my times straight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

But they were both in WWE between that spot and now, though. At least, if I have my times straight.

I think that match was 2016 (I had reason to reference it a while back) but either way, Callahan and Kendrick are big enough names.

All for that spot. Love it :allears:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that was a pretty funny spot where they shoved their fingers up everyones rear end Hole.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was tonight's Dark taped in like March? Cap'n Dean came out to what I think is his Black History Month album theme and not the Guile-inspired theme.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was tonight's Dark taped in like March? Cap'n Dean came out to what I think is his Black History Month album theme and not the Guile-inspired theme.

nope, from the most recent taping

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was wondering similar, as Jora Johl apparently just noticed Matt Hardy leaving his faction

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are the joshis that AEW bring/Brought over regularly top tier talents in japan? [Riho/Emi/Yuka,etc] versus their american roster counter parts they seem a lot smoother in moving around the ring and laying in strikes that is kinda rare that only the bigger athletic women seem to be able to accomplish like Nyla, Kris stat, and even though shes not as smooth yet you can kind of see it in jade. Not a knock against Thunder, Britt,etc,etc,etc. Theyre fun to watch, but the way they wrestle it seems the ring is like a foot and a half too large for them to move around in if that makes sense?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Are the joshis that AEW bring/Brought over regularly top tier talents in japan? [Riho/Emi/Yuka,etc] versus their american roster counter parts they seem a lot smoother in moving around the ring and laying in strikes that is kinda rare that only the bigger athletic women seem to be able to accomplish like Nyla, Kris stat, and even though shes not as smooth yet you can kind of see it in jade. Not a knock against Thunder, Britt,etc,etc,etc. Theyre fun to watch, but the way they wrestle it seems the ring is like a foot and a half too large for them to move around in if that makes sense?

I’ve asked the same question before and the answer I got was that it boils down to women’s wrestling in Japan being just as “legit” as men’s wrestling, so they’ve always been properly trained and expected to be as competent as a guy in the same place on the card.

In contrast women’s wrestling in the US/Western world was treated as a sideshow for a long time instead so there was less focus/interest in creating great wrestlers because that wasn’t the point, and the current generation are still overcoming all the obstacles that perception put in the way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd say Shida & Sakazaki are probably in or near the top tier but with the caveat that honestly neither would be in my top 10 of active women's wrestlers.

Joshi traditionally has been a much snugger style than you associate with American women's wrestling, but everything else I think can just be attributed to the simple fact that women's wrestlers in Japan get to work A LOT more, and that's how you get better. Britt Baker's busiest year going by Cagematch was 2018 with 46 dates. Compare that to one of my current faves Arisa Nakajima, when she started she would do 60-90 shows a year. It's only 10 years into her career that she dialled back to 2 shows a month sort of level.

Working regularly just seems like the best way to get good. And in Japan there a lot more mid-week bookings you can pick up, especially if you're based in the Tokyo area, Ice Ribbon are routinely doing Dojo shows 2 or 3 times a week in Saitama Prefecture, and there's a myriad of assorted groups who may only run once a month but it adds up to a lot more opportunities. Even in a company like TJPW which is more known as an idol promotion than a traditional group like Sendai Girls, the level of rookies like Arai, & the bird girl whose name I forget is on a level or even higher than American women who debuted years ago. Sure, some of that can go down to the training but TJPW are running regularly in shows where every women gets on the card if they are healthy & available

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 11, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Working regularly just seems like the best way to get good.

Good advice for anything really. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hard Work!

I wonder if the other AEW women have taken indie bookings while employed by AEW, just to get some reps in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I didnt realize the amount of matches for womens wrestling was that dire. I just assumed it was a quirk of having to work a giant ring when youre like five foot something, because there are women in my gym who roll smoother with each other in a shoot than what it looks like in a womens pro wrestling match on AEW sometimes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

Yuka is in that category where she's a pretty big star for her company and Riho is pretty notable but I wouldn't say they've poached any of the super elite stars or in ring talents. Everyone they've gotten is really good, but especially for Riho when I see her in AEW it feels like she's working a level above what she was doing in Japan during the last few years. I think she just works better against larger wrestlers for the most part. You stick her in there with a Nyla Rose and even when Nyla was really rough around the edges it created compelling matches that are hard to duplicate.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Britt Baker's busiest year going by Cagematch was 2018 with 46 dates.

That's nuts when ASUKA has done more than that every single year she's been active (at least doubling it 3 years) with the exception of her debut year because she started in August and was also only 17.

Hell, she's already had 30 matches this year and we're not even halfway through yet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if the other AEW women have taken indie bookings while employed by AEW, just to get some reps in.

I'm pretty sure Rosa does, at the very least. And man it's been a joy to watch her progress over the years.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rosa literally runs an indie promotion where a bunch of aew women also work

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

this is why "years in the business" is often a pretty pointless metric, imho

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wouldn't solely go by matches for AEW wrestlers in terms of how many practice reps they're getting In, since they both have offscreen training and they don't work house shows in an effort to not overwork people

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AEW women appear regularly enough on GCW. I've seen Rosa and Ruby there, that i can remember offhand.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CommonShore posted:

AEW women appear regularly enough on GCW. I've seen Rosa and Ruby there, that i can remember offhand.

Ruby did one match and Rosa wrapped up in GCW. Ruby has done a few indie matches since signing, Rosa was doing a few per month but said she's going to cut back now that she's champion. Nyla has done a few this year, Serena does a handful of outside dates, etc. I think the most active woman on the indies who is under contract is Skye Blue.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

this is why "years in the business" is often a pretty pointless metric, imho

Unless you're Ivelisse where it's apparently the most important thing along with mandatory respect to the veterans.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

rosa literally runs an indie promotion where a bunch of aew women also work

Finance Mission Pro and air it weekly, Coward Tony

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hoss Corncave posted:

Unless you're Ivelisse where it's apparently the most important thing along with mandatory respect to the veterans.

Except that she doesn't have to respect people who have been in the business longer because

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's a quick list of women's non-AEW/ROH matches this year (it's possible that some indie feds don't get their matches updated to cagematch)

11 Thunder Rosa (NEW, MPW, WW, GCW, LAWE, ZDOP)
9 Skye Blue (WW, AAW, F1RST, FU, BLP, FCW)
7 Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move, EVE)
6 Hikaru Shida (Ice Ribbon, TJPW, OZ, WAVE)
4 AQA (VIP, ROW, NTPWC, VWR)
3 Marina Shafir (GCW, BCW, WOW)
3 Nyla Rose (DD, BDD, WOW
2 Abadon (LLL, RWA)
2 Kiera Hogan (RCW, Terminus)
2 Tay Conti (AAA)
1 Ruby Soho (GCW)
1 Leyla Hirsh (BLP)
1 Diamante (Terminus)
1 Serena Deeb (Terminus)
0 Anna Jay
0 Red Velvet
0 Bunny
0 Kris Statlander
0 Britt Baker
0 Jade Cargill
0 Julia Hart
0 Jamie Hayter
0 Toni Storm
0 Riho

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I've tried to Google this a million different ways.

Is there a name for when someone is folded over the top rope and then gets a leg dropped on their head?

I know it's a leg drop or even a guillotine but I dunno if your opponent laying over the top rope changes the name.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eat The Rich posted:

I've tried to Google this a million different ways.

Is there a name for when someone is folded over the top rope and then gets a leg dropped on their head?

I know it's a leg drop or even a guillotine but I dunno if your opponent laying over the top rope changes the name.

It's a guillotine legdrop. Other kinds of legdrop are also a guillotine legdrop. The world is not a right place

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

flatluigi posted:

I wouldn't solely go by matches for AEW wrestlers in terms of how many practice reps they're getting In, since they both have offscreen training and they don't work house shows in an effort to not overwork people

Pracitce reps/sparring just doesn't work like wrestling a competitive match live in front of an audience either streamed or in person for reps.

I can't think of a single example of a wrestler who improved dramatically solely though private training.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 12, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fez_machine posted:

Pracitce reps/sparring just doesn't work like wrestling a competitive match live in front of an audience either streamed or in person for reps.

I can't think of a single example of a wrestler who improved dramatically solely though private training.

'solely' means they didn't do any matches that you could watch and as such you can't actually watch them improve, lol

I think Jade is a pretty clear candidate for it, especially since you can pinpoint exactly when she started working with Bryan

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

But they aren't doing solely private training they are working matches and doing training sessions. This was very effective in helping Tay Conti improve in 2020.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Obviously "annnnnnd NEWWWWW!" is always a lovely moment, but every time I hear it I keep thinking there is some famous "annnnnd STIIIIIIILL!!!" moment that got a huge pop, which suggests to me it was in a match with some sort of wonky uncertain finish, or else the audience would have already hit the big pop from the face champion winning the match.

Is there a specific match I am thinking of? What do you mean you do not know my brain!? It is also certainly possible that has happened a dozen times and I am having a hard time remembering what match it was precisely because I am just merging a bunch of different moments together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Obviously "annnnnnd NEWWWWW!" is always a lovely moment, but every time I hear it I keep thinking there is some famous "annnnnd STIIIIIIILL!!!" moment that got a huge pop, which suggests to me it was in a match with some sort of wonky uncertain finish, or else the audience would have already hit the big pop from the face champion winning the match.

Is there a specific match I am thinking of? What do you mean you do not know my brain!? It is also certainly possible that has happened a dozen times and I am having a hard time remembering what match it was precisely because I am just merging a bunch of different moments together

ufc when they announce a judges decision