Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Artelier posted:

let's not forget the people cuddling in the i guess totally platonic talking area

So if your boss, who's always been chummy with you, says "hey, I order you to come to the bar with me" and starts complaining about his midlife crisis, and there are people kissing in that bar, well that means your boss is sexually harrassing you. It's the only logical conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If it's a bar well-known for people to go to hook up, then yeah, maybe.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 11, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

So if your boss, who's always been chummy with you, says "hey, I order you to come to the bar with me" and starts complaining about his midlife crisis, and there are people kissing in that bar, well that means your boss is sexually harrassing you. It's the only logical conclusion.

You must come with me to the bar is already, in and of itself, a harassment violation. If the bar also happens to be known for romantic interludes, it can cross further lines. Your boss ordering you to a candlelit dinner for two is sexual harassment by implication even if they never say verbally "I wanna gently caress you"

She also is not, in any way, chummy with Squall. They do not have a friendly rapport and Squall repeatedly tries to maintain professional (or his interpretation of professional) distance which she seeks to undermine at every chance.

Squalls reaction to her on learning she isn't his boss anymore is somebody going "oh thank god I don't even need to maintain a facade with this rear end in a top hat anymore"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quistis trespassing on Squall's boundaries is established in like, the very first scene with her, in that little walk as you leave Dr Kadowaki's clinic. It's like. Text.

quote:

Quistis: "Squall. Is there something on your mind?"

Squall: "Not really."

Quistis: "Not really. Hahaha!"

Squall: "What's so funny?"

Quistis: "Funny? No, no, it's not that! I'm just happy. I feel like I'm finally
beginning to understand my student a little. That's all."

Squall: "I'm more complex than you think."

Quistis: "Then tell me. Tell me more about yourself."

Squall: "It's none of your..."

Quistis: "...Business!"

Let's not forget the interaction in the Fire Cave.

quote:

Quistis: "My job is to support you in battle. Everything else is up to you."

Squall: "Fine."

Quistis: "You now, the boys often choke on this test when I come with them. I
guess my charm makes them nervous."

Squall: (...Whatever.)

Quistis: "I'm just kidding! Trying to keep you relaxed, that's all."

Not to mention Edea's house (this one's easy to miss, it's one of the Squall / Rinoa / third party member of choice dialogues):

quote:

Quistis: "This place is beautiful."

Squall: "Yeah, the flower field... I forgot all about this place."

Quistis: "Rinoa forces herself into your world, no matter how many walls you
put around yourself, Squall. I knew I couldn't compete with her. The
only issue is whether you would make a place for her... And you did,
pretty quickly."

Rinoa: "Who knows......"

Quistis: "You've changed, Squall. It's like Rinoa's the only one on your mind.
Good thing this wasn't before the exam. I'll leave you two alone, now.

Don't get me wrong, Squall is also emotionally stunted. But the reading of Quistis using her instructor position over Squall is fair.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 11, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The original thing yall were arguing about was whether it was alright for squall to be a prick to quistis and like she clearly crosses a bunch of boundaries so yeah, squall telling her to gently caress off is alright. It doesnt really matter if it was makeout point or not

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Squall shoulda done his teacher. Hes basically an incel

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Squall shoulda done his teacher. Hes basically an incel

he's volcel and that's what makes him a good gunblade wielder

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I mean, trying to get into someone's pants is not the only abuse of power that can go down. Pushing his boundaries the way she does and trying to be all cutesy teehee we're friends at him despite his clear discomfort is still bad. Squall was a dick but for an understandable reason even outside his issues. Quistis behaved incredibly inappropriately, but also for understandable reasons because she is also a broken teenager. The school, though, had no excuse for putting said broken teenager in a position of authority.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is funny that Squall is giving the most edgelord 'it's the law of nature, kill or be killed nothing personnel' dialogue in that scene and still ends up being the more reasonable party

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Squall is right beyond his dickishness at a few points in the game. Like his reactions to the Forest Owls basically being "These idiots are in way over their heads."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squall comes across as well trained but not very well adjusted iirc. Being a child soldier probably does not help with the latter

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quistis is pretty hosed up. I always thought I liked her but yeah she’s pretty gross

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's mostly just kinda boring tbh.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

jokes posted:

Quistis is pretty hosed up. I always thought I liked her but yeah she’s pretty gross

i mean, i definitely like her, she's got degenerator

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She's mostly just kinda boring tbh.

FF8character.txt

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, she could've said "come to the classroom, I want to have a talk with you" and it would've basically been the same thing.

No it would not have because the classroom doesn't have all the connotations associated with the student secret area to sneak away and neck at night! THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF THAT POST! That the location itself and her decision to have the convo there has inherent implications that you can't just completely ignore. In a narrative choices by characters have implications to their motivations and emotions and location often have meaning behind them, both to the story at large and the characters especially if you're only in a location by a character's direct decision. Setting matters to the meaning of a scene!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 11, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Quistis already had in universe message board defenders. To be fair to Quistis it is still partially Cids fault for pushing her as an instructor right after graduation.

Artelier posted:

Not to mention Edea's house (this one's easy to miss, it's one of the Squall / Rinoa / third party member of choice dialogues):

Don't get me wrong, Squall is also emotionally stunted. But the reading of Quistis using her instructor position over Squall is fair.
IIRC the final characterization Quistis gets (might be something around Ragnarok? I think that's the last stop for most character building) is saying something about how she must have mixed up her sisterly feelings for Squall with romantic feelings so even Quistis knows she hosed up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

FF8character.txt

yeah :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Quistis was wrong to do that but as everyone said, the real gently caress-up was promoting Quistis when she wasn't ready, which is basically the MO of how Garden works in doing the dumbest thing possible.

Cid is just really lucky Squall is a great soldier and leader and is smart enough to just make him in charge of everything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Garden as a whole is completely hosed up and makes no sense, but on the other hand, using motorcycles to do a cool futuristic pirate ship-style boarding of one flying building to another is cool af

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like when you go to the basement and kill the Garden's obese angel investor and then that's never really mentioned again

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I like when you go to the basement and kill the Garden's obese angel investor and then that's never really mentioned again

It's briefly mentioned again, but in true FF8 fashion, it's some side mentioned poo poo where you have to haul your rear end back where NORG was, and then to Fishermans Horizon, and even then it's just a "But what's gonna happen?" mention and is otherwise dropped like it never happened.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FF8 really is a good game to play when you're ten and can't process just how stupid the plot is or how easy it is to completely break the leveling system by playing a card game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Dignity posted:

FF8 really is a good game to play when you're ten because of how easy it is to completely break the leveling system by playing a card game

ftfy (or for me at least :v:)

Card Mod breaks things so badly you don't even need to worry about how enemy levelling outpaces your own - my first playthrough I beat Omega with everyone at level 100, no sweat

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

No Dignity posted:

FF8 really is a good game to play when you're ten and can't process just how stupid the plot is or how easy it is to completely break the leveling system by playing a card game

FF8 is great at any age because of how brain-breakingly stupid the plot is. It’s a fever dream of color and screaming insanity.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

hopefully FF8R will show us Cid's investor pitch to NORG back when he was seeking funding for the garden

fushururu

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've convinced people to play FFVIII by explaining to them about how Squall will not let anyone talk about him in the past tense!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mean, trying to get into someone's pants is not the only abuse of power that can go down. Pushing his boundaries the way she does and trying to be all cutesy teehee we're friends at him despite his clear discomfort is still bad. Squall was a dick but for an understandable reason even outside his issues. Quistis behaved incredibly inappropriately, but also for understandable reasons because she is also a broken teenager. The school, though, had no excuse for putting said broken teenager in a position of authority.

Quistis owns actually. poo poo aint a real school. She wanted that gunblade and she deserved it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quistis should have just retired and become a professional Triple Triad master

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

squall is aware hes just a stupid teenager which is why it is really funny when the headmaster steps down and put a confused squall in charge of an entire school of child soldiers lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

I've convinced people to play FFVIII by explaining to them about how Squall will not let anyone talk about him in the past tense!!

That has still got to be the most bonkers line in any final fantasy as far as I'm concerned

I get that some of it is localization, but like.. dang what a thing to write your main character yelling at everyone about. I did read an interesting post (maybe it was a long time ago here?) about how for all the joking about Squall giving everyone the ole "..." and being a dick to people, there's also a decent chunk of choices where you can pick for him to say something else. It's sort of part of the weirdness of his characterization, he's remembered as being a jerk to everyone and that's true, but it's also partly what the player chose influencing that opinion

I haven't played the game in like.. a decade though so I don't remember how true that is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, let's be serious, what even is the correct protocol when you're an 18-year-old instructor at a high-tech wizard school for child soldiers, and you really think your amnesiac 17-year-old subordinate who you grew up with but have forgotten about needs to loosen up more than a little? What's the professional way to handle that situation?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, let's be serious, what even is the correct protocol when you're an 18-year-old instructor at a high-tech wizard school for child soldiers, and you really think your amnesiac 17-year-old subordinate who you grew up with but have forgotten about needs to loosen up more than a little? What's the professional way to handle that situation?

My first pass at a slightly better response than Quistis to getting Squall to relax, framing it as mercenary skill to improve on:

Hey, Squall..I need to speak with you after class.

Hey Squall, how are you? Haha, quiet as usual, anyway I just want to say I am really impressed by how well you handled the situation in Dollett. You followed orders and achieved objectives and showed quite a bit of combat prowess, it was truly impressive, however, one area I've noticed you not progressing quite as fast in is interpersonal relationships. As a mercenary you will be in situations where you will have to socialize with the local populace or be on assignment with the same team for a long period of time, and being able to show you can relax and reveal some pointless trivialities about yourself can go a long way in making your teammates and clients trust you. So Squall, for your next assignment, I want you to spend some time with a student. Perhaps the new student Miss Tilmitt, ask about her interests, and share some of yours...in short make friends, maybe give her a tour of the Garden, it will be good training, and I know you won't let it go off the rails. If that feels uncomfortable to you, well I am sure Mr. Dincht would enjoy your company as well. Anyway, you are seriously one of the best Seeds we've seen in a long time, and I think some additional work on interpersonal skills will compliment your already sizeable tactical and combat talent a good deal.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 11, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
lmao at people projecting real world ethics onto a fantasy world that's batshit crazy even by Final Fantasy standards.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

A natural leader.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They were going to meet outside, but they couldn't because the moon was raining monsters as it does. It was on the weather channel. I think. It's hard to see/hear whats going on because it's 95% The Magic Space Hitler Show. Back in the good old days when you got Local Weather on the 8's because time existed only slightly and linearly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

They were going to meet outside, but they couldn't because the moon was raining monsters as it does. It was on the weather channel. I think. It's hard to see/hear whats going on because it's 95% The Magic Space Hitler Show. Back in the good old days when you got Local Weather on the 8's because time existed only slightly and linearly.

Time Kompression comes for us all I guess

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I like how, even after saying this out loud, Squall thinks to himself "what the hell am I doing??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsu81wHczk
Reposting a short FF8 plot summary video I made a while back when I realized how little I understood of it. Turns out a fair amount of interesting stuff is on computers or off at random NPC conversations out of the way. I actually ended up liking the lore a lot more after actually reading about it, while being even more annoyed about the amnesia and teen angst aspects.

The whole Garden concept is goofy but, in the story's ending. adult Squall tells past Edea what will happen:

quote:

Edea: "You called me Matron. Who...are you?"
Squall: "A SeeD. A SeeD from Balamb Garden.
Edea: "SeeD? Garden?"
Squall: "Both Garden and SeeD were your ideas. Garden trains SeeDs. SeeDs are
trained to defeat the sorceress."
Edea: "What are you saying? You're...that boy from the future?"
Squall: "...Matron."
Edea: "Please return. You do not belong here."
[The li'l Squall runs back.]
Li'l Squall: "...I can't find Sis. ...Am I...all alone? Who's he?"
Edea: "Nobody. You don't need to know. The only Squall permitted here is you.
Do you know where to go back to? Do you know how? Will you be all right
by yourself?
[Squall does the SeeD salute.]
...so she and Cid know for a fact that kid Squall will lead soldiers to victory once he hits his late teens, therefore you either train him as a kid or you don't get him trained in time to do so. The ends justify the means or whatever. Doesn't excuse Quistis being made his teacher, she and other kids weren't part of the prophecy, but in his case that's why.

Who knows if Cid ever questions whether they could be hiring elite grown mercenaries from around the world instead of training this specific kid and have the same outcome, but that gets too close to "why is the RPG party always defeating the boss instead of the much more experienced army of the kingdom they protect" etc. Maybe in FF8R Squall will also whisper the Galbadia Super Bowl champions of the future to explain where Edea gets enough funds to build the gardens.