Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is amazing but one thing I'll never get is why people keep their scraggly little facial hair when it can barely grow in. Makes you look terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

quote:

I hope Jimmy and D'arcy somehow find out the result of the (MoM) Wanda and Captain Marvel fight.
This is my new Cap wields Mjolnir.

Pay this gag off 11 movies from now, you COWARDS

Cap wielding mjolnir was so awesome for me that it would be embarrassing to explain it any further, but I don't really get the connection (nor the thrust of the post you quoted).

I just remember Wanda's chaos magic overpowering Cpt Marvel's in a DBZ beam battle, and then she drops a statue on her which.... shouldn't really have been able to kill a hero who punches through nukes and spaceships, and survives getting punched into the atmosphere by Thanos. Can somebody clear up what I'm missing?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

The Grumbles posted:

As a born and raised north Londoner I disagree! It’s heaps better than a lot of American attempts, but it’s still pretty hokey.
If the accent sounded a little more fake, that would actually be a bonus. It's a fake accent an American kid started doing when his brain invented a backup personality and decided to base it loosely on his favorite cheesy movie. It wouldn't really make sense if the accent was perfect.

It's like how people were complaining that the de-aged Jeff Bridges face they used for Clu in TRON Legacy looked slightly wrong and off. Good! That makes perfect sense in context! (though I didn't actually notice anything wrong myself, I'm bad with faces)

BRJurgis posted:

I just remember Wanda's chaos magic overpowering Cpt Marvel's in a DBZ beam battle, and then she drops a statue on her which.... shouldn't really have been able to kill a hero who punches through nukes and spaceships, and survives getting punched into the atmosphere by Thanos. Can somebody clear up what I'm missing?
The movie didn't exactly call it out, but as they're doing the DBZ energy blast fight, bits of Maria Rambeau's armor seemed to be disappearing. Her helmet completely vanished, and that would have been the absolute worst time for Maria to remove it on purpose. I took that to signify that Maria was burning through too much of her cosmic power at once trying to brute-force Wanda into submission. Then, by the time she had a statue dropped on her, Maria's power had been drained, leaving her as squishy as any other plain human. That might have been a temporary condition, but then... splat. I could be totally wrong, but that was how I had interpreted the scene.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 11, 2022

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

BRJurgis posted:

Cap wielding mjolnir was so awesome for me that it would be embarrassing to explain it any further, but I don't really get the connection (nor the thrust of the post you quoted).

Dr Strange spoiler

Darcy and Jimmy were talking in WandaVision ep 4 or 5 about if Wanda is more powerful than Captain Marvel and they retold the detailed story of the Endgame battle as their evidence for who would win.

Problem is, how did they know what happened at the Endgame battle? It was never explained, maybe a news helicopter was there? I dunno.

But, now that we've seen 616 Wanda melt 838 CM, it would be funny for Marvel to call back to the Jimmy/Darcy bit with their description of another battle they should know absolutely 0 about, and Marvel should wait a time similar to the length of time between Age of Ultron where Cap "can't" move Mjolnir, and Engame, when he clearly is worthy and uses it masterfully.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 11, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dr Strange spoiler

Problem is, how did they know what happened at the Endgame battle? It was never explained, maybe a news helicopter was there? I dunno.

It's because they didn't want to write extraneous dialogue or break up the scene explaining why and you are supposed to suspend disbelief.

Alternatively:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dr Strange spoiler

There were, like, a few thousand people at that battle, minimum. It's not hard to assume that word got out about everything that happened there.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

thrawn527 posted:

There were, like, a few thousand people at that battle, minimum. It's not hard to assume that word got out about everything that happened there.
As soon as Jimmy Woo found out that Scott Lang was still alive, he would have immediately called him to ask for all the juicy details of that fight. That is 100% what Woo would have done. Technically, it might even be his job to do that, since he was probably still supposed to be keeping an eye on Lang... But Jimmy makes that call either way.

Darcy probably at least has a contact number for Thor... and Thor would likely take her call, if only so he could work a "So, heard from Jane lately?" into the conversation.

Plus, there were likely a battalion of news vans and drone cameras rushing to the Avengers compound as soon as the second snap happened, because obviously the Avengers are the first people the world is going to suspect might know what is going on.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Robot Hobo posted:

As soon as Jimmy Woo found out that Scott Lang was still alive, he would have immediately called him to ask for all the juicy details of that fight. That is 100% what Woo would have done. Technically, it might even be his job to do that, since he was probably still supposed to be keeping an eye on Lang... But Jimmy makes that call either way.

Darcy probably at least has a contact number for Thor... and Thor would likely take her call, if only so he could work a "So, heard from Jane lately?" into the conversation.

Plus, there were likely a battalion of news vans and drone cameras rushing to the Avengers compound as soon as the second snap happened, because obviously the Avengers are the first people the world is going to suspect might know what is going on.

I think that's a big thing people don't get about these movies, or maybe it just doesn't jive for them, or whatever. But it's pretty much spelled out that these people for the most part lead mundane and normal lives outside of their big event movies. We see time pass from movie to movie and show to show. The fights and heroing are what we see in the movies, but it is implied the characters have lives outside of what we see. And they chat and gossip and hang out and have friends outside of their superhero circle. And of course depending on the superhero battle or event you have every number of reasons to assume that much of it was being recorded, not least of which would likely have been via Iron Man's suit recording his point of view. Just assume that the people like Jimmy and Darcy basically saw Avengers: Endgame via in universe live streams or media interviews.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The should revisit the Damage Control show idea or something like that so we can get a more regular person perspective of what's going on. Like how excited everyone got at the wedding when Strange bounced, or Kate in general.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

live with fruit posted:

The should revisit the Damage Control show idea or something like that so we can get a more regular person perspective of what's going on. Like how excited everyone got at the wedding when Strange bounced, or Kate in general.

They could do The Office/Parks & Rec/Community of the MCU with the Damage Control stuff, I can't believe it's not a thing already. Smaller scale than the hero-focused series, you could do half-hour comedies and have more like 10 eps a season on a potentially much lower budget. It could be really good if executed well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bring back powerless

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

They could do The Office/Parks & Rec/Community of the MCU with the Damage Control stuff, I can't believe it's not a thing already. Smaller scale than the hero-focused series, you could do half-hour comedies and have more like 10 eps a season on a potentially much lower budget. It could be really good if executed well.

They tried but canceled it when the DC show happened first and bombed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
All they have to do to guarantee at least some audience is one cameo from a big name MCU character an episode, even if it's only a b-lister like War Machine doing a 5 second walk through or something. If you pulled characters like Jimmy and Darcy into the first episode to segue into Damage Control taking over the location of a site once it's been investigated, and had Wong or some of the D+ new characters (Kate & Yelena, She-Hulk etc) show up as part of an episode's plot, and not just have 10 episodes where at most people talk about superheroes but they're never actually visibly part of the setting then it's all but guaranteed to get folks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hell just make Jimmy and Darcy the main characters of the show. You'd have two super funny and well liked leads, and then you could tie it into various films/tv shows being released at the same time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Hell just make Jimmy and Darcy the main characters of the show. You'd have two super funny and well liked leads, and then you could tie it into various films/tv shows being released at the same time.

Then they can be fridged by Kang in Avengers 5.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Even that guy at the wedding knew specificly that Dr. Strange had let Thanos take the time stone.

Probably everything that happened in Infinity War and Endgame was the subject of tons of press and millions of pages of government reports.

No different than how everyone knows everything that happened in World War 2 because of all the reporting on it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zero One posted:

Even that guy at the wedding knew specificly that Dr. Strange had let Thanos take the time stone.

Probably everything that happened in Infinity War and Endgame was the subject of tons of press and millions of pages of government reports.

No different than how everyone knows everything that happened in World War 2 because of all the reporting on it.

Yeah people on twitter are following every single destroyed tank in Ukraine right now, imagine if it were superheroes battling for the whole planet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Marvel needs to give us a live action Agents of Atlas, I am sure they could squeeze Darcy in somehow.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

If the accent sounded a little more fake, that would actually be a bonus. It's a fake accent an American kid started doing when his brain invented a backup personality and decided to base it loosely on his favorite cheesy movie. It wouldn't really make sense if the accent was perfect.

It's like how people were complaining that the de-aged Jeff Bridges face they used for Clu in TRON Legacy looked slightly wrong and off. Good! That makes perfect sense in context! (though I didn't actually notice anything wrong myself, I'm bad with faces)

I mean yes as I said they get away with it because of the nature of that character

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They did use the de-aging for the actual Flynn in the real world flash back at the beginning and it did not work there at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got it, D'Arcy takes up a teaching position at State U and in her class are roommates Doreen Green and Nancy Whitehead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Professor Beetus posted:

To a way lesser extent, I feel like they were dipping their toes in this water with Agents of Shield. See what everyone thinks of spending some time with non super powered people in the MCU. And it became clear, I think, that people didn't like it, because they had to add super powers (via Inhumans, cameos from occasional B listers, loving Ghost Rider), possession by the original Hydra (...I think? I forgot exactly what all happened with Ward in that plot line), and eventually added a ton of other just crazy poo poo. So when that stopped being about "regular people" (even if they were Agents), I think Marvel probably decided anything approaching that wasn't going to work. At least that's how I remember the original pitch for AoS going. "See the MCU from the point of view of the regular people trying to deal with all of this."

Totally a theory, mind you. I've never heard anything to back this up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

The movie didn't exactly call it out, but as they're doing the DBZ energy blast fight, bits of Maria Rambeau's armor seemed to be disappearing. Her helmet completely vanished, and that would have been the absolute worst time for Maria to remove it on purpose. I took that to signify that Maria was burning through too much of her cosmic power at once trying to brute-force Wanda into submission. Then, by the time she had a statue dropped on her, Maria's power had been drained, leaving her as squishy as any other plain human. That might have been a temporary condition, but then... splat. I could be totally wrong, but that was how I had interpreted the scene.

Dr. Strange spoiler Wanda was draining the energy from Captain Marvel. Just like how she was draining America's powers. So by the end of the fight, Captain Marvel was powerless and Wanda squished her.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

It's been over ten years in-universe since Age of Ultron and she's obsessed with American TV. The accent's gone.

That reminds me of another little touch I liked in MoM, the Illuminati's robot guards were Ultron used the way he was supposed to function if he didn't go all megalomaniacal. I think they had one line like "Ultron commands you to stop", but I spotted the design as soon as they showed up.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think Darcy and Jimmy knowing some details about the Thanos fight makes a lot of sense, but I do kinda have to draw the line at Dr. Strange's estranged former co-worker knowing the exact intricate details of how Strange specifically engineered the blip to occur and even his exact specific motivations for doing so. Everyone in the word just knows Dr. Strange gave the Time Stone to Thanos? Like how does that even come up in a conversation?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I think Darcy and Jimmy knowing some details about the Thanos fight makes a lot of sense, but I do kinda have to draw the line at Dr. Strange's estranged former co-worker knowing the exact intricate details of how Strange specifically engineered the blip to occur and even his exact specific motivations for doing so. Everyone in the word just knows Dr. Strange gave the Time Stone to Thanos? Like how does that even come up in a conversation?

Tony's a loud mouth who came back from space pissed off. I can see him blabbing to anyone who'll listen.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BrianWilly posted:

It's Tony's fault. The only other people to witness Strange do this were Nebula and Thanos; the rest were dusted, and I doubt Nebula was talking to random Earth people about it. Tony probably blamed Strange for the decision and told as many people as possible during those 5 years that the stupid goddamn wizard gave up the Time Stone for no reason and hosed all of us. Especially in the immediate aftermath of the Snap, when Tony was maximally upset over how it went down and wanted to blame somebody.

Being the only account on record, from a person who's now revered as Space Jesus, it probably made the rounds.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Given that even during Endgame itself Tony's really pissed about it, yeah, that tracks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope season 2 of What If... does some stuff with the Illuminati universe. It would be nice to see them before they all were brutally murdered by Wanda

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope season 2 of What If... does some stuff with the Illuminati universe. It would be nice to see them before they all were brutally murdered by Wanda

What If...some events played out differently in this universe we briefly visited and have no real reason to give a poo poo about? I have a theory/wild-rear end-guess (posted in the Dr. Strange MoM thread in in Cinema Discussion) that we will eventually (also briefly) re-visit the place. Otherwise I'd prefer to see the "real"/616 versions of two of those characters.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
what if but set in the paint universe

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’ll be cheeky and have an episode from the point of view of the universe that gets obliterated in the incursion with 838

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Professor Beetus posted:

Soonmot posted:

They tried but canceled it when the DC show happened first and bombed.

tsob posted:

All they have to do to guarantee at least some audience is one cameo from a big name MCU character an episode, even if it's only a b-lister like War Machine doing a 5 second walk through or something. If you pulled characters like Jimmy and Darcy into the first episode to segue into Damage Control taking over the location of a site once it's been investigated, and had Wong or some of the D+ new characters (Kate & Yelena, She-Hulk etc) show up as part of an episode's plot, and not just have 10 episodes where at most people talk about superheroes but they're never actually visibly part of the setting then it's all but guaranteed to get folks.
The problem is every new show needs to set up or tie into at least a dozen more shows and movies with every episode in order for Disney to consider it worthwhile, and you're probably not going to get that with "Marvel Office where Taika Watiti CG Monster or Thor occasionally drop by"

https://twitter.com/ComicGirlAshley/status/1524400583767166978

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda dumb making that complaint immediately after Moon Knight

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ms. Marvel is not the character to raise that complaint with considering that in the comics she comes from a pre-established race and is inspired by a pre-established hero.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
True, but I appreciate the candor around "we changed her origin because we just didn't want to unpack the whole Inhumans thing ever again right now."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And it's been 14 years. People need to accept that Feige's going to remix things. Especially since he adds so much fan service stuff as well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A wizardAn Incursion did it.

Ta da, Terrigen Mists are back baby

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Ms. Marvel is not the character to raise that complaint with considering that in the comics she comes from a pre-established race and is inspired by a pre-established hero.

yeah kamala is very explicitly linked to "larger stories in the marvel universe" in the comics! since inhumans (and mutants) don't exist, it makes plenty of sense to give her some way to fit in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Y'all know we're eventually heading towards Secret Wars.