Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For the new OP; Might be worth linking to the Rocksmith thread for people that might be interested learning that way (admittedly deadish except for occasional updates on withdrawn DLC, but a good resource for things like getting custom tracks into the PC version, and might come back to life whenever Rocksmith+ launches)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587654

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Another thing for the new OP for the acoustic section is that it calls out dreadnought and other body shapes but I think it'd be good to explicitly state for younger/smaller/new players a dreadnought shape is probably going to not be the ideal starter. At least it wasn't for me (because I am only 5' 4") and I spent years fighting it.

Also the Jr models from Martin and Taylor are super popular/decent entry points, the martin's especially because they're mostly fake wood and not prone to warping from temperature

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

stoopidmunkey posted:

I hope I didn’t mess up, but I’m getting a custom axe. The factory that makes the bad cat guitars (which are great) also does custom orders so I’m having them put together an lp but with a Tele neck. The lp body is the most comfy for me but my Tele is easier to play with the low radius. It was under $300 so we’ll see how it goes. If you goons are interested, I’ll post pics when it gets here or I get an update. They make “replicas” but I asked for a blank headstock although I thought one of the big names on it would be funny

put a Bad Dragon headstock on it

yea you know what I mean

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

luchadornado posted:

Why a Boss Katana over something like an Iridium or an Iconoclast+Cabzeus? There are a ton of reasons I'm eager to stay away from physical amps/cabs: I won't be gigging/jamming any time soon, back issues mean I don't want to lug heavy things around, physical space is somewhat limited in the house, etc. If it's a bad idea, I'll give up and just buy a drat Katana.

I do not love the Boss Katana personally but people recommend it because it’s a lot of bang for the buck. If you have the cash, and know what you want and can do better building your own set up though do that.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
So I've only had it for about 15 minutes so far, but Firefly makes a nice two P90 Goldtop Les Paul copy. They call it the GD90.

Only thing I don't like is the back/neck are very dark and basically black. Of note, see the weird distortion on the back? It's reflecting the vent in my ceiling, which is rectangular, but there a slight sip in the finish causing that weird shape. There is also one on the top, above and between the pickups, right where it would get a lot of pick wear. A teeny bit over 8.5 lbs, but feels lighter. Decent setup out of the box. The typical finish flaws, but nothing that shows from over a foot away unless you're at just the right angle. I do wish they had matched the pickguard and pickup covers better, though.

Still, $227 shipped with tax gets you a lot of guitar.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

luchadornado posted:

Why a Boss Katana over something like an Iridium or an Iconoclast+Cabzeus? There are a ton of reasons I'm eager to stay away from physical amps/cabs: I won't be gigging/jamming any time soon, back issues mean I don't want to lug heavy things around, physical space is somewhat limited in the house, etc. If it's a bad idea, I'll give up and just buy a drat Katana.

I have and like my Iridium. Katana does a lot more, like effects stuff. I think the GT1 does a lot of that in pedal form, if you want something smaller (or any other multi effect unit of course).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i wrote out the chord names as i wrote the song but getting photos to this thread from my phone is really loving annoying so i don’t do it

All the image hosts suck in their own way, but maybe try https://imgbb.com. It truly is the best in a vast sea of mediocrity. I really do want to see the chart!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also the Jr models from Martin and Taylor are super popular/decent entry points, the martin's especially because they're mostly fake wood and not prone to warping from temperature
Martin Junior series are completely real woods, it's their X and Little Martin series that are plastic with an optional wood top.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
A couple of things I would note on the new OP:

Buy the best instrument you can afford and avoid getting something overly cheap to hedge your bets. If it turns out you don't really enjoy learning and playing, its much easier to recoup costs if the gear is desireable and can be resold. Cheap guitars are tough to resell in my experience, even if they aren't bad. It doesn't mean you need to get a custom shop Gibson LP as a first guitar but also maybe avoid the cheapest thing they've got at Guitar Center.

New players should probably avoid floating bridges and trems. Make life easier and get a fixed bridge.

Maybe a quick mention of the differences between pickup types, how they sound, and typical genres each are most commonly associated with.

The internet is a crazy powerful learning tool but its worth pointing out that it is disjointed, fragmented, and impersonal. Its mostly presented as "tips and tricks" rather than a step by step lesson plan and even the best resources are more of a one size fits all format rather than tailored to specific, personal goals someone might have. Also, what I ran into with trying to learn from the internet is the shear amount of information you just don't know you should be looking for. Add that to the fact that most people who present music education on youtube or wherever are also trying to sell lesson plans so they leave out a lot of important information on purpose. It can make for a fractured method of study where big, important things can easily get missed. I guess what I would say is that it would be good to point out that the internet should probably be seen as a supplementary source rather than as the sole source of information.

Get lessons and play with other people as soon and as often as possible.

Get a metronome and actually use it, at least for scales/exercises practice.

Learn to read tabs and learn whole songs, beginning to end.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I haven't played in a little while and have had a crummy day so thought I'd let off some steam playing along to some silly angry 90s teenager music, and let me tell you after really struggling to get a decent "bedroom level" tone out my amp and pedals, it was Archetype Nolly that did the trick.

Don't get me wrong, I love my amps (even/especially the grey stripe bandit) but the only way that thing is usable at high gain even with the power soak on max at "won't get murdered by my partner" volumes is with the bass and mids turned to zero each. I need to get it off the floor really and as my cave is under the stairs I will never get decent acoustics in here. Putting a TS in front does help but then any screeeeeee sets off the dogs and today was much more about trying to rediscover the fun in playing than it was about tone chasing and i couldn't be arsed to spend ages faffing with my NS2 etc etc

So yeah, for bedroom playing, a decent ampsim and a set of decent 5" monitor speakers is my pick for quick, more than acceptable toanz.

Plug Ibanez into interface, open plugin, level match with Foobar, done.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I don't have an amp at home for any purpose. Well, I sort of do because I put my rigs that aren't in storage in the garage between shows, but I don't play through any of them. Been a lot happier since I went headphone only at home and it's improved my practice regimen a ton - Sansamp of one variety or other for bass and a little Zoom G3 for guitar.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I started playing guitar again a few weeks ago. This is probably my 4th "I started again!" in this thread since it began. So I'm looking forward to the new thread where that won't be true anymore.

Anyways at home practice is just a vox amplug ac30. If I was buying new stuff I'd prob get the fender mustang micro but I already have the amplug.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Local shop just posted this. I guess a previous owner painted it red, then someone later stripped it back to the original paint job... more or less.

More:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdbwITjpVi0/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got a bunch done tonight, gave my G400 a proper clean, used lemon oil on the fretboard, and restrung it replacing the 9-42 with 10-46, and got the action a bit lower. Feels great so far! Next up I think I'm adjusting the neck of my Gretsch and probably doing the same there. Hopefully restringing the Bigsby won't be too harrowing, I heard just bending the end a bit helps.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can use a capo on the neck a bit of sponge or similar as a wedge under the trem to hold the strings while you work. Good luck.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

For the guy asking about a Katana without a cabinet, Proaudiostar has a b-stock GT-1 for a bit of a discount
https://www.proaudiostar.com/boss-gt-1-guitar-effects-processor-b-stock.html

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

NonzeroCircle posted:

I haven't played in a little while and have had a crummy day so thought I'd let off some steam playing along to some silly angry 90s teenager music, and let me tell you after really struggling to get a decent "bedroom level" tone out my amp and pedals, it was Archetype Nolly that did the trick.

Don't get me wrong, I love my amps (even/especially the grey stripe bandit) but the only way that thing is usable at high gain even with the power soak on max at "won't get murdered by my partner" volumes is with the bass and mids turned to zero each. I need to get it off the floor really and as my cave is under the stairs I will never get decent acoustics in here. Putting a TS in front does help but then any screeeeeee sets off the dogs and today was much more about trying to rediscover the fun in playing than it was about tone chasing and i couldn't be arsed to spend ages faffing with my NS2 etc etc

So yeah, for bedroom playing, a decent ampsim and a set of decent 5" monitor speakers is my pick for quick, more than acceptable toanz.

Plug Ibanez into interface, open plugin, level match with Foobar, done.

I am very dumb and cannot figure out how to output NeuralDSP sims through the monitors connected to my PC. I can obviously plug headphones into my interface but I haven't been able to figure out if there's a way to pick a different output than the input in the sim settings.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
They work the same as any other ampsim for me, put it on an audio track in a DAW, make sure the track is set to 'monitor' (often a little speaker icon in most DAWs) and sound comes out.
I guess if you were using it standalone you'd need to make sure it's sending to your interface from within the plugin but it seems weird that headphones work but monitor speakers don't?
Do the monitors work for everything else? What interface is it?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anyone know of a good luthier in the Atlanta area? I can’t get my new Strandberg’s setup quite dialed in, and I’d like to have a professional take a look at it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Guitar thread, I come to you in my hour of need

I have 3 gigs in the next 4 weeks and I want to make sure that my rig has been thoroughly idiot-proofed. They all have sound crew provided. We're playing rock with a moderately wide dynamic range, from clean to heavy Allman Brothers. My signal chain will be:

Guitar -> Boss GT-1 -> Bandit clean channel

The GT-1 is configured with the following chain of effects:

Compressor (Orange Squeezer emulator, always on, low sustain long attack)-> Distortion (BD-1) -> Chorus -> Delay (rarely used) -> Volume pedal

I only have a wall wart power supply on hand. Is it that sufficiently quiet for a single multi-fx? It has a mild noise suppressor in the chain after the distortion. I've not yet bothered to assemble a pedal board since the GT-1 handles everything, but I could swing it by the first gig. Power quality at the venues may vary.

Does anyone see any obvious issues? The goal is to maintain a balanced and consistent volume level so I can focus on the material.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
How about a traveling van that does stuff like string changes and waxing the guitar and putting fast fret on. And it’s called “the pleasured fret-it’s a spa for your guitah!”

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

At the risk of the new OP getting too link heavy, I'd like to see links to specifics. It's easy to get lost in google searches / youtube trying to find what you're looking for. Specifically on the can I change strings section.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've seen a few videos on YouTube of professional studio guys comparing recordings from an HX Stomp to recordings from $3k+ tube amps and they're all like "Well not quite but holy poo poo closer than I could have imagined" and it's wild to me the Spyder and the original POD weren't like, that long ago.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've seen a few videos on YouTube of professional studio guys comparing recordings from an HX Stomp to recordings from $3k+ tube amps and they're all like "Well not quite but holy poo poo closer than I could have imagined" and it's wild to me the Spyder and the original POD weren't like, that long ago.

If you run a friggin POD XT into modern impulse responses it's terrifying. Try it sometime.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

If you run a friggin POD XT into modern impulse responses it's terrifying. Try it sometime.
I had not thought of this. Gramps you amaze me sometimes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hm. I wonder if an IR loader pedal in the post-amp fx loop of my Eleven Rack would bring it into this decade

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had not thought of this. Gramps you amaze me sometimes.

Cab Sims/IRs seem to be where ALL the older modeling stuff really falls flat. Even kinda poopy sounding cheap 90s boss modelers and Rocktron rack stuff will rip your tits off through the right IR.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Hm. I wonder if an IR loader pedal in the post-amp fx loop of my Eleven Rack would bring it into this decade

YEP

https://m.mooeraudio.com/product/Radar-51.html

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If I get modeling stuff like an HX Stomp or a Boss IR200... what do I just like plug it into studio monitors or something when I'm playing at home? Would I even need an actual amp? Right now all I'm doing is practicing with my entry level yamaha and vox amplug so I don't really need to buy any gear. But, I'm a dweeb with disposable income so I find this interesting.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

If I get modeling stuff like an HX Stomp or a Boss IR200... what do I just like plug it into studio monitors or something when I'm playing at home? Would I even need an actual amp? Right now all I'm doing is practicing with my entry level yamaha and vox amplug so I don't really need to buy any gear. But, I'm a dweeb with disposable income so I find this interesting.

As long as whatever you're using has cab sim/IRs built in then yes- you can just plug right into full range speakers or headphones.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hellblazer187 posted:

Not only do you not need a conventional guitar amp, you probably don't want one. Running a simulator through a guitar amp basically means that you're doing the equivalent of micing a guitar amp and feeding that mic signal into another amp. So you'll get two amp sims (and their EQ curves) stacked up and things will get real weird real fast.

My current workaround is to run my sim into the effects loop return of my Champion 100, which basically turns my guitar amp into a relatively flat power amp, but the speaker EQ curve/response is still in the chain. Eventual plan is to get a 2x10" and a subwoofer (i play bass too) active PA setup.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is exactly what I do with my HX stomp. I just have it going into my interface and use the direct monitoring to hear it in my headphones or monitors.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So Polyphia dropped something new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5NoQg8LdDk

It's like they mixed older Polyphia with Al Di Meola and a touch of smooth jazz / elevator music. Not really sure what I think about it, though their playing skills are undeniable.

By the way, been wanting a V style guitar with some Megadeth feel to it. 90s Jackson King V or early 2000s Dean? I loving love the "Angel of Deth" Dean VMNT, cheesy as it is, but the Jacksons seem to have a tighter sound somehow than the Live Wire pickups used in the Dean... thoughts?

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 13, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's like they mixed older Polyphia with Al Di Meola and a touch of smooth jazz / elevator music. Not really sure what I think about it, though their playing skills are undeniable.

By the way, been wanting a V style guitar with some Megadeth feel to it. 90s Jackson King V or early 2000s Dean? I loving love the "Angel of Deth" Dean VMNT, cheesy as it is, but the Jacksons seem to have a tighter sound somehow than the Live Wire pickups used in the Dean... thoughts?

I’ve had a Dean VMNTX and a Jackson JS32 King V and the Jackson wins and is less expensive. The JS32 neck is fantastic, especially at this price point.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just dropped my only guitar off for a proper setup and having the nut replaced. Two weeks until it's back :smith:

Speaking of nuts, where do people here stand on the bone/tusq divide?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Go with tusq or graphite.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Running literally anything into a good IR loader/cabsim will make it usable. Fun experiment: Run straight to a DS-1 into a cabsim with a recto or similar. Congrats, you have a tight metal sound.

Everyone obsesses about amps and pedals, and then somehow forgets how important cabs are. If I use my Torpedo and my Recto Oversize preset with my Fender Bassman 100T on the dirt channel it sounds impressively modern and high gainish! Because the cab does a LOT of lifting.

I own six amps in fairness. I own a LOT more cab models for my Two Notes stuff. Get a single amp and ten cabs and you'll have more tonal variation than a hundred amps and one cab.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've had 2 guitars with bone nuts including my Ormsby, and several with Tusq. The bone nuts always acted up some. I was actually just thinking of buying a blank Tusq nut and filing a replacement for my Ormsby. It's multi scale so I'll have to shape and slot the entire thing.

Speaking of the Ormsby, I haven't found anyone to round off the shoulders on my neck yet. Getting closer to just getting after it with some sandpaper. Surely just taking the sides down a bit is safe, but I'd rather just pay someone.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

For the new OP; Might be worth linking to the Rocksmith thread for people that might be interested learning that way (admittedly deadish except for occasional updates on withdrawn DLC, but a good resource for things like getting custom tracks into the PC version, and might come back to life whenever Rocksmith+ launches)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587654

Rocksmith is how I spent a 6 month military school learning the bass. I recently started using this with rhythm guitar and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Tim + co really wearing the hip hop and r&b influences on their tailored jacket sleeves here

also they basically shot the closest thing a prog metal band could really get to a Migos video without graduating to actually including the cars + clapping asses

otherwise they totally nailed the ‘sharply dressed guys standing and lounging in various spots in an opulent and cinematic mansion’ deal

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 14, 2022