Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of slavers during Dredd Scott which mandated northern states had to enforce southern states runaway slave acts so even if law was real and precedent mattered outside of rhetoric it’s happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
To no one’s surprise, a bunch of fascists in the GOP are adopting fashwave profile pictures now that they feel like they “won.”

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1523868944125341697?s=20&t=JWB7rudwT1SMQ96oxKXxIA

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/sanjanakaranth/status/1524095767585120256?s=21&t=5LotpA2qzfR3eAAk2yQk_Q

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh hey collins IS capable of taking a stand on something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol what

Is she trying to one‐up calling the cops on a dude grilling in a public park?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
She's just making it clear who the cops work for.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh no the public sidewalk in front of my house has been chalked whatever shall I do?

I had more, but I need to go call the cops on my neighbor's 4 year old, he's just coloring in his driveway for now, but I suspect he'll cross over the property line with his graffiti tools any second now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Law Is:

1) What you choose to enforce
2) What you are capable of enforcing through violence or threat
3) What people are willing to accept rather than getting violence'd

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Collins and Kamala are probably good friends

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Crypto is apparently imploding (again), and apropos of nothing someone paid Dana Snyder to read the slurp juice tweet as Mastershake:

https://twitter.com/JuiceSimpsons/status/1523551892432953345

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Crypto is apparently imploding (again), and apropos of nothing someone paid Dana Snyder to read the slurp juice tweet as Mastershake:

There’s been a big push the last few weeks by old school CS legends against new Silicone Valley money and Crypto. It’s been pretty fun to watch as someone like you guys who knows crypto is a ponzi scheme. Literally any rebuttal has been “well you just don’t understand the technology.” As if the dudes and dudettes who built the internet and much of the infrastructure crypto relies on can’t follow an append only database. Although the last few days in the plummet it’s turned into “we you just don’t understand economics” since some of them are being pointedly call out on each crypto claim.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that “Lab Monkes” is supposed to be pronounced like “lab monkeys”, not “lab monks”, but I pronounce “doge” like the Venetian head of state, so I’m not the best person to raise this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I think that “Lab Monkes” is supposed to be pronounced like “lab monkeys”, not “lab monks”, but I pronounce “doge” like the Venetian head of state, so I’m not the best person to raise this point.

Do not correct the MASTER Shake.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Do not correct the MASTER Shake.

Or Strong Bad, for that matter.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

Or Strong Bad, for that matter.

All I know is that the Cheat is grounded!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Reading reddit's r/coinbase is hilarious, a bunch of people who have over 6 figures getting their accounts frozen when they try to cash out and other users smugly telling them that Coinbase would never ACTUALLY take their money despite the CEO just saying that today or yOuKnEwThErIsK at the same time.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Reading reddit's r/coinbase is hilarious, a bunch of people who have over 6 figures getting their accounts frozen when they try to cash out and other users smugly telling them that Coinbase would never ACTUALLY take their money despite the CEO just saying that today or yOuKnEwThErIsK at the same time.

This is good for bitcoin - one step closer to getting it regulated like a true security!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:qq: "But I was a savvy investor with my hodl and diamond hands" :qq:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This is awesome. Ecuador is also now in default after naming Bitcoin a legit currency.

It's almost like we all said it was a ponzi scheme and were right. Huh.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

This is awesome. Ecuador is also now in default after naming Bitcoin a legit currency.

Im not sure how much the Ecuadorian economy collapsing is going to be awesome...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ASAPI posted:

As much as I want the crypto bros to eat poo poo, BTC was this low ~10 months ago before the banks and corporations that said crypto bros always claim they don't serve hyperinflated it to $67.5k within four months' time.

Crypto is worse than tulips because said banks and corporations can use it to trigger a recession or even possible depression pretty much at-will.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Im not sure how much the Ecuadorian economy collapsing is going to be awesome...

I should have phrased/formatted that different.

Coinbase melting down is awesome.

Also, Ecuador is now in default due to their bitcoin policies. Which we knew were doomed to failure, because crypto.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
LOWTAX IS RUINED

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ASAPI posted:

I should have phrased/formatted that different.

Coinbase melting down is awesome.

Also, Ecuador is now in default due to their bitcoin policies. Which we knew were doomed to failure, because crypto.

:wink:

Buddy of mine just bought in at the top of the market :( seems possible that they'll hit 60 again after the next market collapse maybe ..

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ecuador bought into bitcoin too? I hadn't heard about that. El Salvador is already hosed enough by this.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ecuador bought into bitcoin too? I hadn't heard about that. El Salvador is already hosed enough by this.

Ha! I've been typing Ecuador. It SHOULD BE El Salvador. I am the moron today, too much going on.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/.amp/markets/why-the-bitcoin-price-doesnt-matter

dam4real?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

....but....hodl....to the moon.... :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
UST stable coin is down too, which, lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ASAPI posted:

Ha! I've been typing Ecuador. It SHOULD BE El Salvador. I am the moron today, too much going on.

Oh thank god. Ecuador is still a nice place I was worried it was also about to go down the shitter hard.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

UST stable coin is down too, which, lol.

Yes, all of the stable counts are down and locked their price. Terra would be under 40 cents at minimum if they hadn’t locked it at 70 cents and refused sales or transactions for the last 36 hours.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Yes, all of the stable counts are down and locked their price. Terra would be under 40 cents at minimum if they hadn’t locked it at 70 cents and refused sales or transactions for the last 36 hours.

What is a "stable coin"? And doesn't "locking" the price effectively throw out the whole "decentralised currency" thing that crypto is supposed to be?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ASAPI posted:

What is a "stable coin"? And doesn't "locking" the price effectively throw out the whole "decentralised currency" thing that crypto is supposed to be?

My brother in Christ, are you trying to make sense of Bitcoin?

brains
May 12, 2004

ASAPI posted:

look, you just don't understand the Technology!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The best part about Dana Snyder reading anything as Shake is that he's basically just using his speaking voice.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

FrozenVent posted:

My brother in Christ, are you trying to make sense of Bitcoin?

The term just seemed odd. I remember the various "tether coins", but "stable" is new to me.

brains posted:

look, you just don't understand the Technology!

No. It seems I do not understand the technology...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Tethers and stablecoins are interchangeable, tethered coins is more popular these days because they’re absolutely not stable.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

FrozenVent posted:

Tethers and stablecoins are interchangeable, tethered coins is more popular these days because they’re absolutely not stable.

I get it now, they had to change the branding on the scheme again to attract more "investors"/schmucks.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I’ll do my best to write this, but it’s all basically Calvin ball.

First, crypto isn’t decentralized it’s merely distributed. Cryptobros try to say it’s decentralized but someone still controls the codebase that it’s built on, therefore they can adjust things as they believe. Some are more open than others about this, but ultimately they are centralized in that aspect.

Second, stable coins are an attempt peg crypto to traditional currency. UST, or Tether, is a stable coin that pegged as 1 UST to 1 USD. The idea is that there is a real USD to every token in circulation. The people who own Tether are also closely aligned to coinbase. So etherum and Bitcoin are tied to tether, which boosts their value because tether, with “real money” backing it makes coins more stable.

The problem is tether doesn’t have billions behind it, and refuses to let people audit what they do. Terra, another stable coin had some Korean crypto billionaire backing It and it crashed first, pulling down the rest of the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I went to the r/cryptocurrency subreddit to see what the vibe is, I’ve never visited any of these subreddits before.

It’s literally post after post after post of people losing millions of dollars because something called LUNA and UST(?), which I know nothing about, apparently crashed hard and wiped away every everything. From what I gathered it sounded like the two are linked in some way, like you buy LUNA and convert it to UST at a positive value and then burn it back to more LUNA to keep going basically printing money? That’s speculation. Sounds like it didn’t go as expected. This is my favorite;