Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elviscat posted:

No one's made/updated a car for me so I'm doing a 100 mile commute in a 30kWh Leaf.

It's not so bad, besides shuffling around to charge it for a few hours at work (there's a reservation schedule via an outlook calendar for chargers) it's pretty cool that my work's paying for 90% of my fuel for my commute.

If I took it super easy on my commute I think I could do it on one charge, this was my status arriving at work yesterday after departing at 100%

There's also a convenient CHADEMO on my way home if I need it, but it's already 1.5+ hours thanks to traffic.

That all sounds terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

No one's made/updated a car for me so I'm doing a 100 mile commute in a 30kWh Leaf.

You mean 100 miles round trip, right?

... right? :ohdear:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Making that commute, only having enough battery for one way, and then not even being guaranteed a charge at work seems like EV hell ngl

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

You mean 100 miles round trip, right?

... right? :ohdear:

Yes, thankfully.

I'm in training right now and I'll eventually move to nights where I can just reserve a charger every shift and turn it into my own little parking spot.

It wouldn't be so bad if all these Tesla drivers weren't clamoring for the free 'trons, I need that to get home you jerks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Yes, thankfully.

I'm in training right now and I'll eventually move to nights where I can just reserve a charger every shift and turn it into my own little parking spot.

It wouldn't be so bad if all these Tesla drivers weren't clamoring for the free 'trons, I need that to get home you jerks!

And that's precisely why I don't use the charger if I don't need it.

I might be one of a dwindling percentage, though.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Yeah, I’m in Austin and got a little anxious when I saw there’s only one EA charging station and it’s 20 minutes north of Austin. I thought for sure there would be more by now. Thankfully I can charge at work on the ChargePoint stations they have there but if I didn’t work here, it would suck.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I plug the Mobile charger in absolutely everywhere, work, dads house, in laws house, friends house, neighbors house when they’re out of town, if you have an unsecured 110 outlet and I can steal 27 cents of electricity from you I will do it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I considered riding my motorcycle to work, since it gets 45MPG, but that's still 3x the operating cost of the Leaf, if I didn't have free work charging, just in fuel, not counting motorcycle's hunger for tires, chains and other consumables.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Well, $5000 later and I've got a heavy upped 200amp electric panel + NEMA 14-50 plug + charging box for the garage. Now to just sit back and wait for the savings to roll in...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://electrek.co/2022/05/10/tesla-add-ccs-connectors-supercharger-stations-us-elon-musk/

I think everyone figured that would happen eventually.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

F150 Lightning embargo has lifted. This site is maintaining a list of reviews:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...358/post-207691

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

73 grand for a cloth interior extended range XLT and functionally incapable of towing anything. Will be great for the 99% of F-150 owners that just use it as a car that can haul a 75” flat screen every other year.

I actually wouldn’t get the extended range battery as it’s probably not going to be very good at road tripping anyway, smaller battery is fine for regular commute and around town.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 11, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I knew the bitching about trucks being mall queens would survive past the point they stopped being gas guzzlers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tiny Timbs posted:

I knew the bitching about trucks being mall queens would survive past the point they stopped being gas guzzlers

Why would it stop? Even if they don’t use gas their sheer size is still frustrating for other drivers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

Who’s bitching, it’s not a complaint it’s an observation.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I just hope the ccs adapter comes out at the same time

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just wish there was a standard for bumper height. We have a lot of big trucks here, some of them are clearly used for trucky things, some are clearly used as status symbols, but all of them are battering rams when they collide with a car.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looking at the miles per kilowatt-hour on the lighting and smugly chuckling from my EV6

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Not only physical size and consumption, but you can make 2 mid size SUVs out of the batteries it takes to make 1 Pickup. Seems important with limited battery supply.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bird with big dick posted:

73 grand for a cloth interior extended range XLT and functionally incapable of towing anything. Will be great for the 99% of F-150 owners that just use it as a car that can haul a 75” flat screen every other year.

I actually wouldn’t get the extended range battery as it’s probably not going to be very good at road tripping anyway, smaller battery is fine for regular commute and around town.

eh, most towing is within 100mi anyway, I think for moving pwc/small boats/campers/the occasional uhaul or utility trailer it’s plenty for towing

as much as I’d adore an EV Maverick or similar sized truck, the value proposition sucks when in theory you can get an electric F150 for $40k before tax credits and the EcoBoost AWD Mav with some extras already clocks in at like $35k

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Jimong5 posted:

Not only physical size and consumption, but you can make 2 mid size SUVs out of the batteries it takes to make 1 Pickup. Seems important with limited battery supply.

The American public wants 2 F150s for every rav4

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
So I found a pretty good deal on a 2017 100D 6-Seater Model X with 55,000 miles. We want a bigger EV for our large family, and aside from the Model X there don't seem to be a ton of larger options until the R1S comes out.

Anyone have any experience with older Model Xs? Do you think it's going to be a maintenance nightmare? I've only ever had cheap Chevy Bolt leases, so I've never had an EV longer than 3 years. The gullwing doors also worry me slightly, but I'm not sure what else to look at with a max budget of ~65k

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

The American public wants 2 F150s for every rav4

yes, and two girls for every cup

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, and two girls for every cup

This is also true, but I’m not sure I’m allowed to share my infographic for that

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I would never own an out of warranty X mostly because of the doors.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

I just wish there was a standard for bumper height. We have a lot of big trucks here, some of them are clearly used for trucky things, some are clearly used as status symbols, but all of them are battering rams when they collide with a car.

Or humans
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/pedestrians

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I would never own an out of warranty X mostly because of the doors.

my out of warranty ex really hates my guts, I tell ya what

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Wasn't there regulations for pedestrian safety and it was yet another thing that trucks were exempt from? Seems kinda dumb to exempt the most popular vehicles on the road from safety programs but what do I know!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

Wasn't there regulations for pedestrian safety and it was yet another thing that trucks were exempt from? Seems kinda dumb to exempt the most popular vehicles on the road from safety programs but what do I know!

Not in North America. Safety standards opposed by automakers

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The new Toyota Tundra front end is shaped like a 6 foot tall wall. That way all the force is distributed evenly on a person, for safety

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tried a Berlin-built Model Y Performance today, on 21s. I was expecting it to be stiff as hell, but it was actually fairly compliant over some sharp speed bumps. Still stiff, but with some give, if you know what I mean. Doesn't crash over the bumps. Sales rep meant they had made changes to the setup on the Berlin built ones. Quality otherwise seemed every bit as good as the China cars. Maybe a bigger gap between the door and the dash? I didn't spend that much time with it, but noticed the door hinges felt more solid than my 3, and there were some minor differences in the motor which adjusts the steering wheel and the hinge/latch for the armrest lid, without knowing if either was better than the other. My father-in-law was interested in a Y after seeing my 3, I was slightly reluctant to recommend it mostly due to suspension comfort. But I won't hesitate now, just give Berlin time to break in their YLR line.

I tried my 3 over the same bumps and it was certainly more plush, but I have 18s and I think the suspension feels softer than when new, perhaps it breaks in a bit.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The next step is to develop pedestrian pre-collision protection where an arm deploys and throws them over and clear of the vehicle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

The new Toyota Tundra front end is shaped like a 6 foot tall wall. That way all the force is distributed evenly on a person, for safety

Speaking of toyota trucks I see so many Tacomas these days usually painted in some flat grey or green colour with all sorts of really expensive looking mounts for jerry cans all over it and other survival gear, often with a stencilled flag. It's a weird trend and I think these prepper types have too much money.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

darnon posted:

The next step is to develop pedestrian pre-collision protection where an arm deploys and throws them over and clear of the vehicle.

It’s called pedestrian catcher and was developed back in the 30’s

https://i.imgur.com/dwFrD6K.mp4

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I had my Rivian R1T delivered on Monday. I was almost halfway around the block on my first drive before someone yelled appreciation for it. I like it very much so far.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s called pedestrian catcher and was developed back in the 30’s

https://i.imgur.com/dwFrD6K.mp4

Fun fact, the Brooklyn Dodgers were originally the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers. Brooklyn was well known for having a high pedestrian fatality rate from people walking in front of trolleys.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man life in the (19)20s was like a nonstop Buster Keaton flick

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been wanting to get a 2022 Bolt EV2 and it looks like there is one on a lot in driving distance from me. It's been there for almost a year and now is available so I'm assuming it's battery has been swapped. Is there a site where I can put in the car's VIN and see if that has happened?

edit: it's unfortunately not in the color I would like at all but it's price is right and it has the infotainment package which is important to me. I wish I had more time but I really do need to replace my car that was totaled over a month ago.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've been wanting to get a 2022 Bolt EV2 and it looks like there is one on a lot in driving distance from me. It's been there for almost a year and now is available so I'm assuming it's battery has been swapped. Is there a site where I can put in the car's VIN and see if that has happened?

Check
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

https://www.chevrolet.com/ownercenter/recalls#!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks- aaaaaand it already sold 😑

edit: well there's one in the color I want closer- hopefully I don't have to go chasing too much.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 11, 2022