Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they don't allow motorcycles in most prisons i don't think

it'd be cool if they did tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's why they don't allow them in. The only thing cooler than a motorcycle is a convict and you can't have that much cool in a single place

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
How about a drive thru visitor lane for prisons? You can see your incarcerated relative without ever having to leave your favorite place, the car!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I tried riding a motorcycle once but the moment I cranked the throttle my sleeves ripped off and I spontaneously developed tattoos like stigmata

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Based on my early teenage years I would assume it became a biker thing because it makes people mad and that's inherently funny and cool somehow.

Absolutely. Making people mad, especially people you don't respect, is one of the best things you can do.

Also I don't know the rich history of the hells angel's but for a long time the earliest motorcycle helmets were those WW1 German helmets complete with spike etc. Objectively they are terrible helmets, but they sort of became "a thing," and it seems pretty easy for German Iconography including the Iron Cross, Swastika's etc, to flow naturally from there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Musk is correct, but he is a loving idiot, so it's not intentional or thoughtfully correct, but roads absolutely should be deleted. I wish the road in-front of my house was deleted, and in cities that have strict or partial grids, i'd say 50% of roads being deleted would be a huge boon for decreasing traffic as well as increasing livability.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's why they don't allow them in. The only thing cooler than a motorcycle is a convict and you can't have that much cool in a single place

wisdom

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Absolutely. Making people mad, especially people you don't respect, is one of the best things you can do.

Also I don't know the rich history of the hells angel's but for a long time the earliest motorcycle helmets were those WW1 German helmets complete with spike etc. Objectively they are terrible helmets, but they sort of became "a thing," and it seems pretty easy for German Iconography including the Iron Cross, Swastika's etc, to flow naturally from there.
my ride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Baron_(custom_car)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i dont think hells angels and whatever are nazis per se, I think the german iconography was just meant to rile up polite society, that was the 70s after all. it'd be like walking around with a hezbollah flag on your shirt or whatever today

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Peanut President posted:

i dont think hells angels and whatever are nazis per se, I think the german iconography was just meant to rile up polite society, that was the 70s after all. it'd be like walking around with a hezbollah flag on your shirt or whatever today

A lot of 1% bikers are racist as gently caress though.

Pissing off the squares is just an added bonus.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/EntitledCycling/status/1524088986997641217

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Same reason punk embraced it, to piss off squares / dad

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PeterCat posted:

A lot of 1% bikers are racist as gently caress though.

Pissing off the squares is just an added bonus.

Lol

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, crowds of young people who returned to the United States after the Second World War were extremely disappointed with what they found at home. Puritan customs, commercial spirit and the general ostentatious hypocrisy of ordinary Americans did not cohere with the notion of the great American dream, which was defended by former soldiers. Many of these people could not find themselves in a society that was alien to them. Some of those individuals saddled motorcycles, dressed in black leather and started decorating their steel horses with trophy swastikas and iron crosses as a protest against the government. Soon they began to unite in motorcycle clubs and live by the old front principles. Since then, the Iron Cross has taken a new place in history. It became one of the main symbols of bikers and motorcycle customizers around the world. You can find crosses in many elements of biker culture, from the colors to cross rings, pendants and other jewelry. Today The Iron Cross personifies itself as belonging to the world of choppers, to the world of independence and freedom.

clear things up?? source https://www.bikerringshop.com/

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am sure many of returning GIs would also say our real enemies after all were the commies not the Germans they had to shoot.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:44 on May 11, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kicked Throat posted:

In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, crowds of young people who returned to the United States after the Second World War were extremely disappointed with what they found at home. Puritan customs, commercial spirit and the general ostentatious hypocrisy of ordinary Americans did not cohere with the notion of the great American dream, which was defended by former soldiers. Many of these people could not find themselves in a society that was alien to them. Some of those individuals saddled motorcycles, dressed in black leather and started decorating their steel horses with trophy swastikas and iron crosses as a protest against the government. Soon they began to unite in motorcycle clubs and live by the old front principles. Since then, the Iron Cross has taken a new place in history. It became one of the main symbols of bikers and motorcycle customizers around the world. You can find crosses in many elements of biker culture, from the colors to cross rings, pendants and other jewelry. Today The Iron Cross personifies itself as belonging to the world of choppers, to the world of independence and freedom.

clear things up?? source https://www.bikerringshop.com/

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Now, as a dentist in the 2020's, you can decorate your $40,000 motorcycle just like those returning GIs did

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hell yeah, bring on the racist biker thread invasion, it's like an incredibly lame version of some of my favorite movies

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Doc Hawkins posted:

hell yeah, bring on the racist biker thread invasion, it's like an incredibly lame version of some of my favorite movies

I don't dig bikers after the El Forasteros killed my next door neighbor's kid.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i don't think cars should be able to go 100mph or anywhere near it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ride bikes too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

leftist heap posted:

i don't think cars should be able to go 100mph or anywhere near it

what about bikes

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

A MIRACLE posted:

what about bikes

Anybody that can pedal a bicycle 100mph deserves that freedom

Edit: The other day I saw a guy in one of these things cruising along in traffic on the highway with a gigantic open-mouthed grin on his face

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 06:15 on May 11, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

This was actually an el station

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Our primary line, the Market-Frankford, runs through west Philly as an elevated train, becomes a subway when it runs through our downtown region, Center City, then comes out of the ground and becomes an el again as it bends to the Northeast, serving a good part of north Philly.

The station this SUV slammed into is one of the Market-Frankford's most problematic stations. That area is one of the East coast's most hard-drugging places, a market where heroin/fentanyl is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, yet somehow the housing has also become insanely expensive. All the addicts have been shunted into the el stations by cops who are policing the view for gentrifiers and they're literally breaking the elevators with the sheer volume of piss they're putting into them.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
plus it's overrun with wild and hungry SUVs apparently

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yesterday I drove ( :( ) by a wreck involving a school bus. Traffic was backed up behind it, and a few of us took a detour through a parking lot off to the side, but most everyone else just drove straight through the wreckage because cops hadn't shown up to redirect them yet. Come on, people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

and to think armored cars are going to phased into the civillian market~

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
my license is expiring which is making me realize how hosed up it is that the "driver's license" is the de facto standard ID in the USA. why da gently caress is a "license to drive a car" the country's #1 most-important identifying card by a mile

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

my license is expiring which is making me realize how hosed up it is that the "driver's license" is the de facto standard ID in the USA. why da gently caress is a "license to drive a car" the country's #1 most-important identifying card by a mile

Simply because they're valid ID. State IDs are a thing but why bother when your driver's license works? Everyone has to have one anyway to go to work and get food so they might as well do everything else too

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Polo-Rican posted:

historically it proved you could live in one of the class/ethnic comprador enclaves known as "suburbs"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think it's also the division between learner's permit/Driver's License at 15/16 for most people, and the need for a legal ID at 18 for whatever. I don't think I ever encountered a state ID from someone under 18.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think it's also the division between learner's permit/Driver's License at 15/16 for most people, and the need for a legal ID at 18 for whatever. I don't think I ever encountered a state ID from someone under 18.

I have a state ID because I would rather die than drive

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

I have a state ID because I would rather die than drive

Statistically, you will!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Simply because they're valid ID. State IDs are a thing but why bother when your driver's license works? Everyone has to have one anyway to go to work and get food so they might as well do everything else too

When I only had an ID I got turned away from a bar because they refused to accept out of state IDs that weren’t driver’s licenses.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Irradiation posted:

When I only had an ID I got turned away from a bar because they refused to accept out of state IDs that weren’t driver’s licenses.

Wouldn't want to serve somebody that isn't able to drive home from the bar, something bad might happen

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Wouldn't want to serve somebody that isn't able to drive home from the bar, something bad might happen

Lmao now that's what's hosed up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a liquor store in olympia (state owned at the time) almost seized my sisters passport and called the cops when she tried to use it for ID because nobody ever tried to use a passport for ID before. and people say america isn’t exceptional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like it when I go to the States and servers think my Canadian driver's license is fake because they apparently have no conception of geography beyond America