Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the normal endings are bad and maybe you have a LORE JUSTIFICATION but it still leaves a sour taste in the mouth after 4000 hours of playtime

I know miyazaki hates closure for some reason but they should have done the ocarina of time style of ending where we check in on the few surviving NPCs and they wave and dance. Turtle pope dancing with a skeleton was the objectively correct cutscene for fia's ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never seen a satisfying ending in a fromsoft game. they're for playing, not ending.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you go through enough NG+ cycles to achieve all the endings on one character you get a true ending where all the npcs come back to life and make a mending rune that saves Solaire and everyone does the fortnite dance

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

the games are perceived as cringe because of the "cake is a lie" memes, but portal and portal 2 both had fantastic endings. in fact, valve used to generally whip rear end at endings... The G-man dialogues that end half-life and half-life 2 leave a lot to the imagination in a good way, still the coolest poo poo ever

See my problem with this is they completely changed the endings to HL2 and Portal after the fact with patches to facilitate sequels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CYBEReris posted:

if you go through enough NG+ cycles to achieve all the endings on one character you get a true ending where all the npcs come back to life and make a mending rune that saves Solaire and everyone does the fortnite dance

brb, DMing this to thePruld so we can see this animated

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you gamers!

But our lore dump is in another soulsborne!

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Outer Wilds does the it's the end of the world but isn't that kind of poignant and beautiful ending better than FromSoft could ever hope to do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dodgeblan posted:

Outer Wilds does the it's the end of the world but isn't that kind of poignant and beautiful ending better than FromSoft could ever hope to do

It's not the best game, it's spacer's game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer Milds loving sucks

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cowcaster posted:

the pinnacle of video game ending artistic achievement is system shock 2 and i refuse to hear otherwise

Nah.

Final Fantasy VII and Persona 3 had pretty memorable endings for me, as does the MGS series in general.

Souls games tend to have pretty ambiguous endings which is fine when your stories involve regime change via regicide but not enough surviving characters to experience the consequences. Brief endings also aren't a contrast to other cutscenes because the player character barely gets any other than 'stands up' or 'looks around'.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i thought the bloodborne endings were pretty good and fit well with the game. Dark Souls 1 and 2 having bad endings I can kind of forgive because the games are throwbacks in a lot of ways and I'm sure they had to cut a lot of corners to make such insanely huge games. Dark Souls 3 the fade to black ending is actually really spooky and awesome. I like the sekiro ending where wolf becomes the sculptor, but the one where you actually save kuro is bad.

Elden Ring is still a from game, but it's also an epic fantasy and you can't really have a non ending in an epic fantasy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Apparently the fallingstar beast jaw is the new hotness.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Frenzy ending hints at some Serious Lore at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Am I just really unlucky or is the guardian swordspear drop rate unbelievably low

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Am I just really unlucky or is the guardian swordspear drop rate unbelievably low

I got like three of them, but I also had 60 arcane

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

skasion posted:

when i wanted one i farmed mine from the guys in peninsula pretty fast with base arcane and no fowl feet but rng is just arbitrary like that

what I really hate is farming armor, i love how the nox sets look but i still haven't ever gotten a complete set

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sekiro's endings are good and have actual meaningful variation to them.

As much as I like ER, Sekiro feels like passion project while Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

skasion posted:

It's low, but is it Fire Monk set low? Killing 2 monks in liurnia between each reset

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
There's always a chance that the DLC will add or expand upon endings, but I would absolutely not hold my breath.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

WaltherFeng posted:

Sekiro's endings are good and have actual meaningful variation to them.

As much as I like ER, Sekiro feels like passion project while Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4.

what are you talking about

you can feel the passion in every single facet of elden ring

except the endings

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

A reporter asks Miyazaki a question about Elden Ring.

"Elden what?" is his only reply.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Elden Ring, that famous hastily made throwaway game FROM rushed out between actual projects.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s weird to call ER not a passion project considering no one really expected it, and while it does invoke DS a lot, it was never marketed as a new dark souls

I think people need to accept this is what the dude likes, even if you find it unfulfilling personally

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dlc opens up the arena in north limgrave but its for ice skating. elden rink

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A new b-team has been identified

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I actually like the DS1 "good" / "dark lord" ending. The cinematic itself is lackluster, but the journey to the cinematic makes it really interesting imho.

Almost everyone is expected to get the basic ending the first time, and that ending simply sucks - you catch on fire, the end. It's not until later playthroughs that you discover Kaathe, and then Kaathe explains the lore in surprising detail, and you basically learn why the main ending sucks. So, when you finally get the "dark lord" ending, you have the double storytelling whammy of seeing a new ending cinematic, plus the joy of reaching the end while actually understanding what the other ending means and why you'd want to avoid it

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 11, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CYBEReris posted:

No joke, they should’ve made a fourth unique ending where you get all the mending runes (except Dookie Digester since it’s diametrically opposed to the others) and all the great runes to make the Mega Ring and nuke all outer gods in the name of the Crucible.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Bloodborne has good endings: you miss out on a couple of boss fights, but choosing to tap out from all the weird hosed up poo poo to wake up to the rising sun felt strangely compelling, as does attempting to challenge an eldritch being and getting immediately subsumed by it.

Souls writing tends to be so ephemeral that its hard to imagine them writing an ending that goes more in-depth than vibes and themes. Like what, are we going to get a Fallout NV ending slides where we find out how each NPC is affected by your ending choice?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s weird to call ER not a passion project considering no one really expected it, and while it does invoke DS a lot, it was never marketed as a new dark souls

I think people need to accept this is what the dude likes, even if you find it unfulfilling personally

it's very much a hideo kojima auteur situation for sure. kojima and miyazaki make games for themselves, that other people seem to like.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Vagabong posted:

Bloodborne has good endings: you miss out on a couple of boss fights, but choosing to tap out from all the weird hosed up poo poo to wake up to the rising sun felt strangely compelling, as does attempting to challenge an eldritch being and getting immediately subsumed by it.

Souls writing tends to be so ephemeral that its hard to imagine them writing an ending that goes more in-depth than vibes and themes. Like what, are we going to get a Fallout NV ending slides where we find out how each NPC is affected by your ending choice?

Yeah the waking up ending for bloodborne roxx and is probably my favorite fromsoft ending

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

I actually like the DS1 "good" / "dark lord" ending. The cinematic itself is lackluster, but the journey to the cinematic makes it really interesting imho.

Almost everyone is expected to get the basic ending the first time, and that ending simply sucks - you catch on fire, the end. It's not until later playthroughs that you discover Kaathe, and then Kaathe explains the lore in surprising detail, and you basically learn why the main ending sucks. So, when you finally get the "dark lord" ending, you have the double storytelling whammy of seeing a new ending cinematic, plus the joy of reaching the end while actually understanding what the other ending means and why you'd want to avoid it

I got the dark lord ending on my first blind playthrough without ever meeting kaathe or knowing he existed lol

I just refused to touch the first flame after seeing Gwyn and explored the boss arena after the fight. Then I was like "oh the door's open, I can just walk away from this"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

Apparently the fallingstar beast jaw is the new hotness.

“Always has been” meme

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Guys, these games are all about cycles which means the endings should have you cranking a sweet hog on the highway.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Guys, these games are all about cycles which means the endings should have you cranking a sweet hog on the highway.

Buddy you can get arrested for that, keep it at home

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

it's very much a hideo kojima auteur situation for sure. kojima and miyazaki make games for themselves, that other people seem to like.

i think this also is explanation for why so many people chafe so hard at the idea that they're "missing out on content" by screwing up an npc quest or not finding an item or missing a secret. from software does not make games with "make sure the players experience everything" on the design document. that's someone on the outside looking in style thinking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think a big problem is with how the story is set up a big ending doesn’t really make sense.

Waking up from the knightmare in Bloodborne works only really because the protag never wanted to be there on the first place. So unlike most he actually has a concrete want

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also it's the end of dream quest of unknown kadath

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think a big problem is with how the story is set up a big ending doesn’t really make sense.

Waking up from the knightmare in Bloodborne works only really because the protag never wanted to be there on the first place. So unlike most he actually has a concrete want

yeah bloodborne and sekiro have the best endings because the endings are about the main characters instead of being about whatever vague metaphysical change you have implemented on the world. The doll, Gerhman and the player character in Bloodborne and kuro and wolf in Sekiro. The endings that aren't really about the main characters tend to suck. Some of the souls games don't really have main characters so kind of unavoidably have bad endings. In fact the two best Elden Ring endings are good because they actually are about characters that are important to the journey.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m in a museum in Italy and they have this bad boy :D

This is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

yeah bloodborne and sekiro have the best endings because the endings are about the main characters instead of being about whatever vague metaphysical change you have implemented on the world. The doll, Gerhman and the player character in Bloodborne and kuro and wolf in Sekiro. The endings that aren't really about the main characters tend to suck. Some of the souls games don't really have main characters so kind of unavoidably have bad endings. In fact the two best Elden Ring endings are good because they actually are about characters that are important to the journey.

To be fair Bloodborne also has an ending where you become n old one but it’s really whatever because the game never gives you a reason to want that