Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

OK I'm dredging this discussion back up because I want to hear the goon take on it. I just read some people saying that the last arc of Bleach was cool, it was just that the ending part with how they took out Ywach and then the time skip epilogue just really sucked. This doesn't seem right to me, because while I dropped off the Bleach train with Aizen's defeat, all indicators seemed to point to Bleach literally never being good ever again, doesn't matter what arc you're looking at.

The quincy mean girls were good. Also the fullbringer arc was good until it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gologle posted:

OK I'm dredging this discussion back up because I want to hear the goon take on it. I just read some people saying that the last arc of Bleach was cool, it was just that the ending part with how they took out Ywach and then the time skip epilogue just really sucked. This doesn't seem right to me, because while I dropped off the Bleach train with Aizen's defeat, all indicators seemed to point to Bleach literally never being good ever again, doesn't matter what arc you're looking at.

Well there's only 2 arcs after where you dropped off. The Fullbring arc, which people either fully write off or say it's very underbaked, which I agree with, and the mega long 1000 year blood war arc, which has cool moments, but honestly never cones together for a cohesive, cathartic climax for any of the characters or parties involved, and clearly got wrapped up in a rush because Tite Kubo was on the verge of death from overwork as a mangaka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fullbring arc just reeks of editorial interference.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The beginnings of a lot of the Quincy vs Shinigami fights were real good then each just kept dragging and dragging.

How Ichigo's mom met his dad was nicely paced. Overall him healing up in Super Heaven was cool as was his sword(s) being reforged.

Favorite fight is still the lucha quincy winning a fight by puncturing his own ear drums and lasering a Vizard Captain with a star shaped hole.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

There were cool scenes that made people hype and excited.

But that doesn't mean the arc itself was cool.

There was character bloat and characters being chumped to solve the character bloat, resulting in the usual gang getting their wins while everyone else was dealt a humiliating loss and getting poo poo on by readers for being useless (see: Vizards), and Byakuya somehow not dying when he should have.

And there was some poo poo that was just plain stupid and designed so characters could use zanpakuto releases that were somehow perfectly tailor-made for that situation (see: Nanao's god-slaying sword that she inherited from her mother to kill Sniper Quincy-turned-energy-chicken-god, which didn't even really kill said chicken, chicken fell to Soul Society and had to be killed by mecha-zombie Raiden-from-Revengeance Kira).

There was also Ichigo and co. climbing up to YWACH like 2, 3 times because everytime they got to his tower someone would knock them back down.

Basically it was Bleach.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And there was some poo poo that was just plain stupid and designed so characters could use zanpakuto releases that were somehow perfectly tailor-made for that situation (see: Nanao's god-slaying sword that she inherited from her mother to kill Sniper Quincy-turned-energy-chicken-god, which didn't even really kill said chicken, chicken fell to Soul Society and had to be killed by mecha-zombie Raiden-from-Revengeance Kira).

Actually he's apparently still an ongoing problem in Soul Society and no one seems to be able to kill him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait what he's not dead yet?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's loving hilarious if that's the case.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sternritter X gon' give it to ya

gently caress waitin' for ya to get it on your own, Sternritter X gon' deliver to ya

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's loving hilarious if that's the case.

I could have sworn it's brought up in the special one shot, but I guess I imagined it.

Like for some reason I distinctly remember it just being Kira's job now to keep the owl god in check by using his power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
According to my 2 minute search apparently either tossed the loving birds into Huenco Mundo or managed to get rid of them after a ton (months) of bird murdering.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gologle posted:

Looking forward to you watching the final arc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

According to my 2 minute search apparently either tossed the loving birds into Huenco Mundo or managed to get rid of them after a ton (months) of bird murdering.

Checking it's apparently both.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The best part of the last arc was the strongest zanpakuto being the one with the amazing power to .... cut things.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
That viking dude was really stupid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The first part of the arc is really good at setting the table and setting up for a bunch of satisfying character conclusions and a couple of them it even pulls off (Rukia being the main one), but most of it, it just completely fumbles. By the time they're fighting the Four Special Boys, the story is pretty much in the groan zone and will never recover, except for one brief glorious moment where Aizen returns. It was so wack that Kubo spent a LOT of time setting up all these specific Quincies with these specific abilities and gave them unique designs and personalities and powers that are all pretty cool and then when the real fighting starts, all those guys get dumpstered basically immediately and the final few fights are against owl guy, giant guy, hand guy and poison guy and they're all loving terrible (except poison guy, poison guy was cool).

It's particularly galling that Ishida does, like, nothing, for the entire arc.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 11, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MJeff posted:

The first part of the arc is really good at setting the table and setting up for a bunch of satisfying character conclusions and a couple of them it even pulls off (Rukia being the main one), but most of it, it just completely fumbles.

Bleach in a nutshell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah that's pretty much every arc after Soul Society, lol.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i picked up the notion that bleach is best consumed as a series of anime music videos i think in this very thread and that seems relevant now also

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I really can't add much more to what's already been said but for my the biggest disappointment was how mediocre a lot of the payoffs were. Squad 0 was a giant nothing of really cool characters and Ishida makes no goddamn sense for 2/3rds of the arc and somehow even less sense for the last third. It's infuriating how many cool concepts went off to die and I really kind of hope the anime does something about it, somehow.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the idealist in me says that the committance to a single arc is a "return of f" style trial balloon to see just how much interest there is in a renewed product. it's likely only an edge influence on any business decisions but brave souls continues to basically print money for klab and SJ through licensing and there's only so much content they can do over and over again to keep P2P players coming back; there's definitely indicators out there that there's a desire for more Bleach, but I think they want to try and quantify exactly how much and I'd like to hope that they'd take extra care to make TYBW a labor of love and really put a lot of thought and effort into it but that's all just my own completely unsubstantiated bullshit so who the gently caress knows

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's really no excuse for Ishida being so underutilized in the final arc. Kubo even came up with the perfect excuse to bullshit his power up to be comparable with Ichigo and nothing comes of it besides an extremely underwhelming battle with Jugram that Ishida loses anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's impossible to tell how much of the sloppy, disappointing writing in the final arc was due to kubo being on the verge of death and how much of it was kubo being kubo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kubo is better when he can plan things out in advance.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's impossible to tell how much of the sloppy, disappointing writing in the final arc was due to kubo being on the verge of death and how much of it was kubo being kubo.

There's probably a formula involving the number of severed arms to meters of cleavage drawn that could get close to divining this ratio.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I got the feeling that he set up a ton of things he thought would be cool, and then his editors told him to wrap it up asap

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kubo's accounting is that he approached WSJ and said "hey sorry but I gotta wrap this up because I'm literally dying" and then they agreed on how many chapters he'd get to wrap up. I don't remember if this was in place before the TYBW arc or early into it but either way Kubo knew exactly how many chapters he had left to wrap up before he decided to waste dozens of chapters on Thor, the sniper guy, Ichigo running laps up and down the tower, etc.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't feel like Ywach got dunked on enough

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he got owned by a deus ex machina literally out of nowhere after being functionally omnipotent throughout the arc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope they give nel an actual fight

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sydin posted:

Kubo's accounting is that he approached WSJ and said "hey sorry but I gotta wrap this up because I'm literally dying" and then they agreed on how many chapters he'd get to wrap up. I don't remember if this was in place before the TYBW arc or early into it but either way Kubo knew exactly how many chapters he had left to wrap up before he decided to waste dozens of chapters on Thor, the sniper guy, Ichigo running laps up and down the tower, etc.

This was like a couple of months before the end. It really came down fast and hard because of Kubo's doctor's orders.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

i hope they give nel an actual fight

What? You thought Nel deserved more than sitting on a tower and then jumping as Paizen dies?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait was his nickname Paisen?

I thought we just called him Quincy Aizen.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I am YWACH!

I can see all fates!

I can counter any ability!

oh poo poo a magical arrow

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
TYBW would benefit from cutting a LOT of the fights, or at least fusing some together.

Fights that should stay pre tower climb: Kenpachi vs imagination guy, Rukia vs fear guy, Renji vs Superstar (Renji can be replaced by a cooler character though).

Fuse Soifon and Komamura into 1 fight against someone "plot important".

Byakuya stayed dead when he should have, so he doesn't have to fight anyone.

If bird god or Thor are mandatory for Kubo, introduce ONE of them here and have them blowing poo poo up in Soul Society as an excuse for the 13 squads to stay behind fighting a filler boss while Ichigo and co. climbs the tower. Maybe Shunsui accompanies them because we have to see his Bankai.

Ichigo climbs the tower, fights the super quincies together with the zero squad in assorted pairs, ie. Chad and healer captain vs The Hand, Orihime and captain with the true sword vs whichever of the Thor/Bird God didn't get left behind, etc. Do bring Urahara for the Qaizen fight, maybe teamed up with Shunsui.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Would have also been cool to actually see Ichigo's new bankai even if we all knew it was inevitably just going to be another energy blast thing.

Thoren posted:

I am YWACH!

I can see all fates!

I can counter any ability!

oh poo poo a magical arrow

The arrow was made by something Ishida's dad pulled out of his mom after Yhwach killed her, so presumably it was something to do with how Ishida survived despite himself not being a pureblood Quincy and was out of Yhwach's control somehow. The whole "why was Ishida spared from the purge" thing seems like it was going to be a much bigger plot point before it got left hanging.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it really was very funny how ichigo kept getting new powerups only for them to be completely useless against ywach. i'm not sure if that was intentional, though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Just remembered one of the most ridiculous bits of YWACHery.

YWACH: I can see all the futures :smuggo:

*as a logical counter, Tsukishima uses his ability that fucks with the past to help Ichigo*

YWACH: uuh Actually I see all the timelines ever from start to finish and that never worked :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lezard_valeth posted:

Fights that should stay pre tower climb: Kenpachi vs imagination guy, Rukia vs fear guy, Renji vs Superstar (Renji can be replaced by a cooler character though).

Oh come on, leave Renji his one moment of doing something cool.