Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Best thing at intermission is betting on random timbits hockey teams with your friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The first time ESPN aired F1 they thought they could just cut to commercials whenever without replays or anyone to explain what folks had just missed. Absolute shitshow.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Solkanar512 posted:

The first time ESPN aired F1 they thought they could just cut to commercials whenever without replays or anyone to explain what folks had just missed. Absolute shitshow.

They would’ve kept doing it if Mother’s didn’t pay them whatever they did to sponsor it as well.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
They used to have local kids teams doing penalty shootouts at half time at Adams Park (Wycombe Wanderers, you loving phillistines). It was fun and completely adorable.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The junior gunners take penalties against gunnersaurus at half time at the Emirates and watching them try and avoid saving them has been the highlight of many match days for several years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I didn't think arsenal were that bad

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

They do 8U games at the first intermission of NHL games here and everyone loves staying around a few minutes more to see if some little kid will score some great goal/do some absurd celebration. Plus they interview the best player in the game and the kids are usually funny.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1486305261061033984?t=xfHgZCWhXF1XxWXkupu7RA&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Falling to my knees on the beach as I wait for the dinghy, tears of gratitude and joy streaming down my cheeks as I see that there are enough world cups for my family to live and work in now

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Europe needs to re-sharpen the guillotines Jesus Christ. Getting lectured about immigrant treatment and opportunity while 6,500 immigrant laborers have died in Qatar since the World Cup was awarded. gently caress all these people so hard.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Over 6700 recorded deaths just from the countries that are actually keeping track. Thousands of human beings that died miserably so that these grotesque greedy fucks could have some bribes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If we give every person in the world a World Cup then everyone will be employed at all times, thank you FIFA for solving all problems forever

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That’s a very good point. I hadn’t thought about it like that. However, I think we need yearly World Cups so we can also stop future climate refugees.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just have all countries take part in straight knockout 2 leg ties home and away then all countries can have the world cup always so simple

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I know this is highly illegal to say but I hope this man dies a horrible death.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think that's just your brain on a FIFA sinecure

blatter kept saying similarly insane stuff on a regular basis

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I know this is highly illegal to say but I hope this man dies a horrible death.

turn the entire fifa headquarters into a glass top coffee table with them in it via tactical nuke

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's just that any international organization that has its headquarters in Switzerland is going to be run by Galaxy-brained weasels, like the IOC.

You also have FIBA headquartered in Switzerland, and while that's not a den of corruption they literally insisted until the early 1990s that international basketball could only be played by amateurs because otherwise it would irreversibly taint the sport.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

turn the entire fifa headquarters into a glass top coffee table with them in it via tactical nuke

Be sure to do it while FIFA are having a meeting with all the big agents.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just that any international organization that has its headquarters in Switzerland is going to be run by Galaxy-brained weasels, like the IOC.

You also have FIBA headquartered in Switzerland, and while that's not a den of corruption they literally insisted until the early 1990s that international basketball could only be played by amateurs because otherwise it would irreversibly taint the sport.

imo professional sports were a mistake though so i don't think this is a nukeworthy offense

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Don't talk to me about professional sports

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

V. Illych L. posted:

i think that's just your brain on a FIFA sinecure

blatter kept saying similarly insane stuff on a regular basis
Blatter always wanted to score a Nobel Peace Prize for FIFA and, as in all things, Infantino continues his work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
CAF have just pissed off a bunch of countries by coming out fully in support of what Infantino said

https://www.cafonline.com/press-release/news/caf-comments-and-supports-fifa-president-gianni-infantino-s-council-of-europe-sp

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jose posted:

CAF have just pissed off a bunch of countries by coming out fully in support of what Infantino said

https://www.cafonline.com/press-release/news/caf-comments-and-supports-fifa-president-gianni-infantino-s-council-of-europe-sp

Almost every single federation is probably in favor, this way they can get twice the bribes if they have to vote twice as often. Get ready for back to back World Cups in Saudi Arabia.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

A Europe+South America v everyone else schism is absolutely going to happen within the decade

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

nutri_void posted:

A Europe+South America v everyone else schism is absolutely going to happen within the decade

There’s already a Euro vs Copa America winner game this summer. I’m sure it will be expanded to 4 teams, then 8, etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Remember when FIFA made a movie?

They've not renewed EA Sports' license and starting in 2023 the FIFA video game will be made by FIFA.

quote:

In its own statement later on Tuesday, FIFA said it would be launching new soccer video games developed with third-party studios and publishers. Several non-simulation games were already in production and will launch in the third quarter of this year, FIFA added.

"I can assure you that the only authentic, real game that has the FIFA name will be the best one available for gamers and football fans," FIFA president Gianni Infantino said. "The FIFA name is the only global, original title. FIFA 23, FIFA 24, FIFA 25 and FIFA 26, and so on -- the constant is the FIFA name and it will remain forever and remain THE BEST."

Several non-simulation games are already in production! I'm sure it's gonna be great, and I'm sure we're gonna love EA Sports FC.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/4662729/fifaea-sports-to-end-video-game-partnership-game-to-continue-under-new-name

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Presumably EA won't be able to put the world cup in their game but could they strike separate deals with entities like UEFA etc and still have all of the things like the Champions League and so forth? What does losing the FIFA license actually mean for them (besides the hilarious spectacle of FIFA trying to make their own)?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
How loving stupid are FIFA. According to the ridiculous statement on their website they are apparently in discussion with various third parties about making a FIFA 24 game.

Good luck with that you morons, game should have been in full development for at least a couple of years by now if you wanted any kind of chance against EA.

In discussion? Absolute clowns. Going to slap the name FIFA 24 on some piece of crap and sell 10 copies.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

Presumably EA won't be able to put the world cup in their game but could they strike separate deals with entities like UEFA etc and still have all of the things like the Champions League and so forth? What does losing the FIFA license actually mean for them (besides the hilarious spectacle of FIFA trying to make their own)?

It's a good point, maybe EA did look at what FIFA were asking and decided they don't really need them. Thanks for the link in the other thread, btw. Didn't they already have to negotiate with all the individual leagues for their rights anyway? I remember ProEv got exclusive rights to Juventus one year so they were Turin FC or something in FIFA.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
This is a great opportunity for EA to just make Ultimate Team (Football Ultimate Team maybe if they own the FUT trademark?) And print cashmoney for virtual panini stickers forever without paying the licence fee or having to bother with non FUT game modes.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

greazeball posted:

It's a good point, maybe EA did look at what FIFA were asking and decided they don't really need them. Thanks for the link in the other thread, btw. Didn't they already have to negotiate with all the individual leagues for their rights anyway? I remember ProEv got exclusive rights to Juventus one year so they were Turin FC or something in FIFA.

I don't know for sure although I assumed so. As I recall, when they did the college (American) football video game, they not only had to negotiate with the NCAA but also each separate conference and in some cases individual teams, which is why I asked

As for the link, I saw it on ESPN and was floored so I felt I had to share with someone haha (none of my real life friends give a poo poo about FIFA)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

From the article:

“Though EA Sports FC will be unable to include FIFA content including the World Cup, it retains licensing deals with prime soccer competitions including the English Premier League and the UEFA-organized Champions League.

The EA announcement showed the strength of those partnerships with warm comments from executives from the Premier League, UEFA and Spain's La Liga while a coordinated release of tweets posted by dozens of soccer clubs used the slogan "We're In The Club" to align with the EA Sports FC brand.”

In other words pretty much all of the content will remain in the game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vegetable posted:

From the article:

“Though EA Sports FC will be unable to include FIFA content including the World Cup, it retains licensing deals with prime soccer competitions including the English Premier League and the UEFA-organized Champions League.

The EA announcement showed the strength of those partnerships with warm comments from executives from the Premier League, UEFA and Spain's La Liga while a coordinated release of tweets posted by dozens of soccer clubs used the slogan "We're In The Club" to align with the EA Sports FC brand.”

In other words pretty much all of the content will remain in the game.
Yeah as long as they have a FIFPro license and continue to negotiate with individual competitions there's no reason why they can't continue to produce their games under a slightly different name, EA's awfulness set aside.

So basically FIFA's just creating a brand-new money sink they can probably use as some kind of money laundering vehicle.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That's good. I don't recall that being in there when I first looked at the article but I was skimming.

FIFA, as per usual, dumb.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah as long as they have a FIFPro license and continue to negotiate with individual competitions there's no reason why they can't continue to produce their games under a slightly different name, EA's awfulness set aside.

So basically FIFA's just creating a brand-new money sink they can probably use as some kind of money laundering vehicle.
FIFA have enough avenues for money laundering and corruption already, losing this licence is just throwing a couple hundred million in the bin. The head honchos will still be making bank regardless of how badly they hosed this up but I'm going to enjoy watching whatever ridiculous attempt FIFA make at releasing FIFA '24.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My guess is they’ll eventually just sell the rights to a different company or at least outsource it to some mobile gaming company.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

My guess is they’ll eventually just sell the rights to a different company or at least outsource it to some mobile gaming company.
That's exactly what will happen and it will be gloriously terrible. They don't have much more than a year to develop it so will probably latch on to some already existing trash that no one plays, get in some image rights like most of the national Cyprus team and Botswana and then sell more copies to bored journalists than real people.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
A gacha NFT monstrosity that somehow cost $400 million to develop. I’ll help, Gianni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

greazeball posted:

They've not renewed EA Sports' license and starting in 2023 the FIFA video game will be made by FIFA.

Several non-simulation games are already in production! I'm sure it's gonna be great, and I'm sure we're gonna love EA Sports FC.

I’m guessing whichever nation buys the most FIFA Ball Game Booster Pack Ultimate Ultra™ packs wins the World Cup host nation