Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I watched a few episodes of Jobless Reincarnation. Is this one of those shows where the main character is a terrible person that grows and learns to respect people, or should I immediately drop it like the hot garbage it seems to be?

it is one of those but you also won't get much progress in the first 11 eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

I watched a few episodes of Jobless Reincarnation. Is this one of those shows where the main character is a terrible person that grows and learns to respect people, or should I immediately drop it like the hot garbage it seems to be?

If you like beautiful animation its a good watch, but don't expect the dude not to be a piece of poo poo for a long time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just learned Makai Kingdom was coming to Steam. Today.

One of my favourite NIS titles and its a tragedy it sold so poorly because it deserved a sequel more than Disgaea.

Now they just need to port La Pucelle.

e: La Pucelle and Rhapsody are apparently both being ported. Very happy right now.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 10, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Furnaceface posted:

One of my favourite NIS titles and its a tragedy it sold so poorly because it deserved a sequel more than Disgaea.

e: La Pucelle and Rhapsody are apparently both being ported. Very happy right now.

They're also putting Z.H.P Unlosing Ranger on Steam, which has one of the most abusive families I've ever seen in a game

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
pokemon special is good up until like gen 4 when the insane rush of pokemon games made it impossible to pace a manga based on any one of them well

imho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kild posted:

Aren't you a nurse? And you don't know about stabs, ivs and evs?

I’m not nurse joy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, nursing hasn't really been much of a joy since the pandemic

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

I’m not nurse joy

My image of you is shattered...

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Furnaceface posted:

I wonder if there's a way to put all the crosses back into LPT.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7IwP_xDObU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wonder if roombas are actually any good

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Namtab posted:

Anyone that works for Bowser is evil, sorry.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Namtab posted:

they are better than not vaccuming ever, but much worse than vacuuming. i had one back in college/grad school and still had to vacuum to get the corners and other spots it missed. for the money, you’re better off with a miele and not being irredeemably lazy

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like to think of my laziness as redeemable

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Furnaceface posted:

Anyone that works for Bowser is evil, sorry.

:tipshat:

I chortled

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

TenementFunster posted:

not being irredeemably lazy
:how:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Namtab posted:

I'm sorry, but your redemption arc is just not believable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Namtab posted:

What can it be redeemed for?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They put Kaguya-sama on the shonen jump app and man, I’m scared to post in the thread till I’m caught up but it’s really good. Maybe I’ll watch the show in a few years, but I find I generally tend to just read manga these days since it’s so easy to just binge a few chapters.

Anyone else find their tastes trends more towards one or the other as years go by? I read manga pretty regularly but usually only watch three or four shows a year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ages ago I used to be more into manga but for quite some time now I've usually just stuck to anime because deep down I realized I'm better at engaging with the language of film than the language of comics.

This is not to say I'm great at it, it's all relative!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

They put Kaguya-sama on the shonen jump app and man, I’m scared to post in the thread till I’m caught up but it’s really good. Maybe I’ll watch the show in a few years, but I find I generally tend to just read manga these days since it’s so easy to just binge a few chapters.

Anyone else find their tastes trends more towards one or the other as years go by? I read manga pretty regularly but usually only watch three or four shows a year.

it took me years to even try reading manga but once i did i went from 0 to "im buying a comically expensive Big Cellphone (tablet) so it's more comfortable to read my japanese mangas". ive since finished dozens of long-rear end manga. it's just so much faster to read manga than watch anime

also in my imo opinion (imo) the kaguya anime is the better version because the VAs are fantastic and it's super well animated

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

I used to be more of a manga binger back in 2010-2015, but then posting more in ADTRW and engaging in seasonal discussions has made me flip where I mostly watch anime and only occasionally read manga now.

As far as a preference for manga vs anime adaptations? It's on a case by case basis. I genuinely think some anime, like Kaguya Sama and Attack on Titain, heavily elevate their source material and are worth watching even if you consumed the manga version. On the other hand, some shows are downgrades, whether due to being incomplete adaptations, being unable to match the artwork and style of the manga (berserk), or just being bad adaptations of the source material(Jitsu wa). And then some I think it's worth checking out both due to stylistic differences (Houseki no Kuni).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

marumaru posted:

it took me years to even try reading manga but once i did i went from 0 to "im buying a comically expensive Big Cellphone (tablet) so it's more comfortable to read my japanese mangas". ive since finished dozens of long-rear end manga. it's just so much faster to read manga than watch anime

also in my imo opinion (imo) the kaguya anime is the better version because the VAs are fantastic and it's super well animated

Yeah this is what I’m at rn, like I love me a well adapted/made show like March Comes Like a Lion but goddamn is it easy to just start shotgunning a series on a phone or even just whipping out part of a manga you like.

I’m kinda really looking forward to watching the show a while after reading the manga so it’s not super fresh in my mind, I’ve seen clips so I already know it was my poo poo but I don’t have Crunchyroll/funimation (guess they’re the same now!) sites.

Julias posted:

I used to be more of a manga binger back in 2010-2015, but then posting more in ADTRW and engaging in seasonal discussions has made me flip where I mostly watch anime and only occasionally read manga now.

As far as a preference for manga vs anime adaptations? It's on a case by case basis. I genuinely think some anime, like Kaguya Sama and Attack on Titain, heavily elevate their source material and are worth watching even if you consumed the manga version. On the other hand, some shows are downgrades, whether due to being incomplete adaptations, being unable to match the artwork and style of the manga (berserk), or just being bad adaptations of the source material(Jitsu wa). And then some I think it's worth checking out both due to stylistic differences (Houseki no Kuni).

Honestly I think I should look into a streaming app because there’s probably at least a few shows a season I’d be into, but Crunchyroll pissed me off when I tried finishing the Chimera Ant arc on it. Hopefully it’s better with a subscription.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I used to be an anime person exclusively, but lately as I've been learning japanese I've kind of grown more and more appreciative of manga as a medium. For anything that has an adaptation I still tend to prefer the anime because I like it when the pictures move, but with manga being such smaller-scale creations not having to go through production committees and stuff it's a much broader field for finding the kind of weird personal works that really resonate with me. We're just not going to get anime that are like Mozou Crystal's comics or Termina by kashmir (I wanted to add "or Shimeji Simulation" but weirdly that one actually has a non-0 chance, though I have no idea what a Shimeji Simulation anime would look like - which just makes me want to see one all the more)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i want to reach the level where i can read untranslated manga but i dont need to go much further than the 2500 kanji by frequency to realize that realistically i'm never going to reach that level :v:
there's a ton of really interesting manga that never get translated/animated

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm a very audio-minded person so i strongly prefer anime unless the adaptation is real bad since VA and sfx and music does a lot for me to make the material land. comedic timing as well. i do read some manga but mostly series that are unlikely to get adapted or already got a partial adaptation and unlikely to get more.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

marumaru posted:

i want to reach the level where i can read untranslated manga but i dont need to go much further than the 2500 kanji by frequency to realize that realistically i'm never going to reach that level :v:

Kanji by frequency are based on newspapers, so you will get a lot of political or financially related kanji, or kanji that are used in only one word or names.
It's better to learn vocabulary and grammar and learn the kanji as part of the former. Once you start remembering the radicals, it will get easier.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

marumaru posted:

The trick is to realize that there is no such thing as "reaching that level", you can just kind of start doing it. Like practice with manga you read before in english and learn how to guess words you don't understand from context. This article recently posted in the SAL japanese thread is about books but it applies even moreso to manga where the art does a ton to help you along

Though it does depend to some extent on the reading level of the manga in question, like I talk about how much I like Termina but I actually had to give up on it pretty quickly 'cause it really is borderline incomprehensible at my level. I'll get back to it one day...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Last Celebration posted:

I had DSL at home well into the 2010s, so it was easier to stick to manga, plus it was easier to read manga at work than watch anime w/o getting caught and I guess you don't have to worry about your battery for your device with manga as much as with anime if you have a carpool or train commute. If you're into certain subjects like soccer or love polygons, manga is just gonna have more of it than anime and probably more readily available. As far as uniqueness of content, I think anime might be a step ahead since a greater percentage of anime gets translated compared to manga, where fewer & fewer scanlators want to translate serious/arty works when they can collect more donations by translating isekai manga adaptations. But then companies like Denpa and Glacier Bay exist to somewhat fill that gap, just gotta pay up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read way more than I watch. It's just a lot easier for me to focus on manga and I tend to read stuff like webtoons here and there all day in my downtime vs when I put on a show it's a very deliberate "now I will watch An Anime" activity and I kinda have to be in the mood for it which is increasingly rare. I think I also fell out of the habit when I had terrible internet speeds for a long time and it was really difficult to stream anything. That's not an issue anymore and I'm trying to watch things more often but it's still something I sort of have to be deliberate about.

e: also while there is more BL anime happening it's still not likely that most of the manga I enjoy will ever get adaptions :shrug:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 11, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat, called out hard by that post! i'm ~990漢字/3180単語 in (but literally only finished N5 grammar this week because i'm terrified of grammar) and i haven't really had the courage to try seriously reading anything native yet because i feel like i dont know enough. :v: i'll definitely try something now

Lurking Haro posted:

Kanji by frequency are based on newspapers, so you will get a lot of political or financially related kanji, or kanji that are used in only one word or names.
It's better to learn vocabulary and grammar and learn the kanji as part of the former. Once you start remembering the radicals, it will get easier.

yeah it's more because the tool i like to use for kanji doesn't even cover them:

(grey for "haven't started learning it yet" and green for "this tool does not even cover this kanji")

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terry van Feleday posted:

I used to be an anime person exclusively, but lately as I've been learning japanese I've kind of grown more and more appreciative of manga as a medium. For anything that has an adaptation I still tend to prefer the anime because I like it when the pictures move, but with manga being such smaller-scale creations not having to go through production committees and stuff it's a much broader field for finding the kind of weird personal works that really resonate with me. We're just not going to get anime that are like Mozou Crystal's comics or Termina by kashmir (I wanted to add "or Shimeji Simulation" but weirdly that one actually has a non-0 chance, though I have no idea what a Shimeji Simulation anime would look like - which just makes me want to see one all the more)

i'm kinda surprised none of kashmir's manga have ever been fully tled. like 1/5 of yuri seijin and termina got tled years ago and basically nobody's touched them ever since

ironically yuri seijin did get an ova adaptation by loving ufotable and it has one of the coolest eds they've ever done

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

marumaru posted:

drat, called out hard by that post! i'm ~990漢字/3180単語 in (but literally only finished N5 grammar this week because i'm terrified of grammar) and i haven't really had the courage to try seriously reading anything native yet because i feel like i dont know enough. :v: i'll definitely try something now

You should certainly try but the 'Just start reading! It's ok if you don't understand every word!' thing people like to say obviously presupposes some level of comprehension otherwise you're just looking at a sea of stuff you don't know and skipping it all.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

marumaru posted:

You're actually further along than I am lol, I can recognize around 800 kanji (don't have a count on my vocab) and I find that's well enough to read books (slowly) and only occasionally reach for the dictionary. Until people start talking about food anyway, at which point I stop understanding anything

The Colonel posted:

i'm kinda surprised none of kashmir's manga have ever been fully tled. like 1/5 of yuri seijin and termina got tled years ago and basically nobody's touched them ever since
Termina actually did get a new chapter translated very recently, which is how I learned about it! It's just tough material to work with, I think. Don't know if the same applies to yuri seijin, I may have to take a look at that (it somehow never occured to me to look into kashmir's other works, learning they've done yuri before makes Termina make a lot more sense somehow)

Polsy posted:

You should certainly try but the 'Just start reading! It's ok if you don't understand every word!' thing people like to say obviously presupposes some level of comprehension otherwise you're just looking at a sea of stuff you don't know and skipping it all.
Hmm, it depends on how much tolerance you have for looking up words on the fly I suppose, I reached for the first volume of Machikado Mazoku with only hiragana & 3 levels of wanikani under my belt and it went just fine, but of course I needed to look up almost every word at first to get even a vague idea of what was being talked about

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Until people start talking about food anyway, at which point I stop understanding anything

i often have no loving idea whats going on when people start talking about more exotic food / ingredients / plants in english, so i'm very familiar with that feeling lmao

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

but of course I needed to look up almost every word at first to get even a vague idea of what was being talked about

Right, that's fine if you do have the time/inclination to look up every word but that article is specifically advising you not to because you'll probably burn out a few pages in. Granted this is more about books than manga.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Leraika posted:

pokemon special is good up until like gen 4 when the insane rush of pokemon games made it impossible to pace a manga based on any one of them well

imho

i kinda wish they would do an anime adaptation of the arcs up to emerald or diamond/pearl/platinum

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read much less manga now than as a kid, and that's mostly because it's more obvious to me now how bad manga translations are. Scanlations often have translation mistakes that you can spot without seeing the Japanese text (e.g., Japanese wasei eigo "private" does not mean private), and even officially licensed releases have poo poo like misspelling names of recurring characters. Complete gamble if the volume you're paying $8 for has decent prose or not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God yeah, once you know even a bit of wasei eigo, it's way too obvious when someone misses it. Let's go to my mansion, she said, walking towards an apartment building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
*looks at titties*

"she has a really good style"