Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We keep the boss centered and there isn't any required loss of uptime. Everyone starts in their tower positions. Towers light up. People that need to get tethers move to the middle of the boss grabbing all the tethers, and then split out. We have one melee, so when DPS have tethers they stay directly under the boss (tether explosion is the same size as his hitbox) and the other three split out. When tanks and heals have it, I stay dead center, our melee is in her tower at max dps, and the other tank is north of the boss. He could stay max melee but typically runs a bit further north for one gcd because he's extra cautious which is not a bad thing.

With this method, the only people that have to move are those picking up tethers, which they will automatically get by going to the middle, and everyone keeps dpsing throughout with basically no interruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

We keep the boss centered and there isn't any required loss of uptime. Everyone starts in their tower positions. Towers light up. People that need to get tethers move to the middle of the boss grabbing all the tethers, and then split out. We have one melee, so when DPS have tethers they stay directly under the boss (tether explosion is the same size as his hitbox) and the other three split out. When tanks and heals have it, I stay dead center, our melee is in her tower at max dps, and the other tank is north of the boss. He could stay max melee but typically runs a bit further north for one gcd because he's extra cautious which is not a bad thing.

With this method, the only people that have to move are those picking up tethers, which they will automatically get by going to the middle, and everyone keeps dpsing throughout with basically no interruption.

I think this is what I was trying to explain funnily enough, just not as far into the middle for those who need tethers but this is what I hope to use in the future.

I’m not even interested in up time, I just don’t like the solution of run around in the middle until everyone has a tether that is currently in use.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think this is what I was trying to explain funnily enough, just not as far into the middle for those who need tethers but this is what I hope to use in the future.

I’m not even interested in up time, I just don’t like the solution of run around in the middle until everyone has a tether that is currently in use.

The running around the middle isn't necessary if the people who need tethers go to the direct center of the boss' hitbox or if people who do not need tethers stack in line with a stack of people who do. We use both at different points in the fight. I'm a tank and have to grab tethers a lot this expac, and can say with certainty that you will always get a tether if you stand for one global tick in the direct center of the boss' hitbox. All four people have to do it, though, otherwise you can end up with a situation where the only tether is opposite of everyone and it's just a pain.

The big thing to remember, whichever group needs tethers should not move out until they have all tethers.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The big thing to remember, whichever group needs tethers should not move out until they have all tethers.

And this is what you never get from pugs. People love to get their tether and book it halfway across the arena, passing their tether to someone else in the process.

Unfortunately no matter what strat you do you'll never fully protect against random people being dumb when it comes to the tether mechanics.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My opinion on the addon ban is if Squenix says they're not allowed that's the end of the discussion and you should either respect their rules or accept that you could be banned if you break them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was quite funny after all the pages and pages of drama this produced finding out the 'bans' were ten day probes, just imagine getting that upset about a temporary suspension from a service like that - on Something Awful!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 11, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine the chilling effect on posting if mods handed out 6-hour probations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awwww. I just did a duty for the first time in months (I've been trusting exclusively, never knew when I'd have to leave the desk) and it's halitali. First thing the sprout healer says is "My son told me about this dungeon!"

Someone got their mom to play ffxiv! She was a good healer too!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SA doesn't have a three strike policy before you get permaed, with strikes taking 5 years to fall off. But it should

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so this was weird, loaded into a 70 dungeon for leveling roulette and got the 'party member is new to this duty' notification. i'm the tank and as soon as the barrier drops the samurai sprints out ahead of me and aggroes the first pack. i do my gap-closer and am slightly annoyed with them but before i even get to the mob, he dies in one hit. so i'm lolling and i hold the first pack there so he can rez or respawn and he respawns but doesnt move from the dungeon start. we kill the first pack and then he drops and we're like that was weird, he got one-shot and then ragequit lol. then he rejoins and we notice he only has 3000 health in a level 70 dungeon. we examine him and all his gear is level 70 so we're like, are you bugged or something? he never responds and then drops out entirely

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Probably broken gear

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh. does gear quality not show on examine

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh. does gear quality not show on examine

nope, its set to ???%

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah, and that’s approximately the base hp you’d have with no gear at that level

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Levelling Dungeons only got their ilvl requirements added fairly recently. Prior to Shadowbringers you could pop into any leveling dungeon with whatever garbage you had on, which meant a lot of new Samurai and Red Mages hitting Sirensong Sea in their literal starting gear, after spending 11 levels in Palace of the Dead.

They didn't add an ilvl requirement to story trials, and I have on more than one occasion had a Red Mage in their starting gear get queued into Titania.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

My opinion on the addon ban is if Squenix says they're not allowed that's the end of the discussion and you should either respect their rules or accept that you could be banned if you break them.

That makes sense until you crash into an edge case where it doesn't. For example, SQE sells a Mac only license of the game and expansions. If you want to play on Mac you buy those. At the moment the game does not run on Mac OS 12.3. This is a SQE issue. Apple announced 2 years ago they would be removing the version of Python that the SQE launcher uses. So now, if you are on a Mac and upgrade to 12.3 or buy a new Mac you cannot play the game that you explicitly paid for a Mac license of.

Using a 3rd party launcher the game runs terrific. SQE has not commented on this at all.

So. Until SQE gets their poo poo together I don't think banning paying customers for wanting to use the product you sold them is reasonable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is the ff14 launcher written in python 2.7

That's extremely funny

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

They're also changing previously carved out exceptions for things like gshade:

https://twitter.com/nyanyaxiv/status/1524456112103346176

The SE forum post in question that okayed gshade is here.

I guess their next trick is ban anyone using voice chat.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kyrosiris posted:

This is a dumb take and is extremely disingenuous.

They're going to continue operating on a don't-ask, don't-tell thing. They don't want to put in an allow list or start nit-picking exceptions because that's literally impossible. Just don't stream yourself breaking TOS and life moves on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pulling out a nearly ten year old post from a community rep is not a good representation of what S-E policy is or was

as far as I know there's never been an actual exception for reshade there's a reason nobody talks about it in-game just like every other mod

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The official 14 twitter account has regularly retweeted screenshots with the gpose/gposers hashtags, etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It seems awfully convenient that there's a secret ancient Allagan superweapon more powerful than Ultima Weapon hidden underneath Cartaneau Plains and "doubtless" this failing merchant plans to gain control of it and take over the world and that's why we shouldn't provide homes for the refugees.

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1523977008262352903?s=20&t=40jaW9kxbpw8z9V-lKhuKw

Nanamo looking a bit rough these days.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I find it really hard to care about this "issue". People were mass reporting popular streamers and getting them temporarily banned, sure, that's not great. But it's been like, what, a couple of days since that post? I think the internet is blowing the response way out of proportion. Given time, people will return to their usual normal, 'crusaders' will get bored and find something else to do, and mods will be fine as they were previously. Why do we need to fight the man right now? We don't. And as was said before, showing that you're using mods was already a risk. This doesn't feel like it's some complicated problem.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kyrosiris posted:

The official 14 twitter account has regularly retweeted screenshots with the gpose/gposers hashtags, etc.

1. we're still talking about community managers and not people actually working on the game or enforcing the ToS

2. do you mean a "reshade" hashtag? because as long as no one is openly going "I GOT THIS SICK SCREENSHOT FROM RESHADE" I don't think it's in any way actionable

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kyrosiris posted:

Even better; they've had officially sponsored screenshot contests with categories for vanilla screenshots and a category explicitly for screenshots taken with the help of third party tools.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I had what I'm convinced is a poor sprout who hadn't figured out how BLM plays in Castrum the other day. I caught them popping Lucid Dreaming at 85% MP, and I never saw the telltale MP drain/refill that I usually see if I watch a BLM doing their thing. I wish I could have given some advice, but I haven't tried BLM yet.

Those observations, combined with the length of time it took to clear, lead me to that conclusion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

2. do you mean a "reshade" hashtag? because as long as no one is openly going "I GOT THIS SICK SCREENSHOT FROM RESHADE" I don't think it's in any way actionable

Yes, people literally post gshade-enhanced screenshots under #GSHADERS all the loving time on twitter, as well as

Professor Beetus posted:

Even better; they've had officially sponsored screenshot contests with categories for vanilla screenshots and a category explicitly for screenshots taken with the help of third party tools.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nobody is going to get banned for using gshade jfc

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, it's almost like they don't actually care about gshade and post-processing effects, but don't have the ability to start allow-listing things publicly without causing even more of a shitfest.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

sassassin posted:

It seems awfully convenient that there's a secret ancient Allagan superweapon more powerful than Ultima Weapon hidden underneath Cartaneau Plains and "doubtless" this failing merchant plans to gain control of it and take over the world and that's why we shouldn't provide homes for the refugees.

hot drat, it finally happened

the Teledji Adeledji fanfiction

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Nobody is going to get banned for using gshade jfc

Game modification, of any type, is illegal in Japan and punishable by up to 5 years in prison and fines of up to 5 million yen. Square Enix will be sued if they do not take action against reported Gshade users, as they've stated they will against all third-party tools.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theoretically what kind of person has standing in a lawsuit against square enix for not enthusiastically enforcing their third party tools policy against gshade

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

theoretically what kind of person has standing in a lawsuit against square enix for not enthusiastically enforcing their third party tools policy against gshade

The Japanese government.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Antivehicular posted:

hot drat, it finally happened

the Teledji Adeledji fanfiction

I'm just asking questions. Why weren't we told about this weapon before? Nanomo warns of "orphanges next to every Allagan ruin" and I say yes! More orphanages!

Vote Adeledji RIP

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

King Cohort posted:

Game modification, of any type, is illegal in Japan and punishable by up to 5 years in prison and fines of up to 5 million yen. Square Enix will be sued if they do not take action against reported Gshade users, as they've stated they will against all third-party tools.

Gotta admit, SE threatening to sue themselves if players keep posting pretty screenshots would be a novel anti-cheating tactic.

For real though. Just don't stream while flagrantly running mods that let you ignore / trivialize mechanics or make people naked and they won't care enough to bother you. The message is just that they will actually start enforcing against people who are being flagrant about it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

King Cohort posted:

Why is this a law? Do they think kids are going to install nude mods? Also if this is the case why do i keep getting recommended japanese videos of Tifa with giant boobs and lingerie by YouTube?

CJ fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 11, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

personally if I was designing a legal scheme I would not make something a criminal offense and then give square enix police power to enforce it or they become civilly liable but idk

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

why are you making up stuff to get mad about

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The amendment that kicked off the speculation around mods/modding being banned back in like 2019 can be found here. I have zero experience translating legal documents but it doesn't seem that restrictive to me. Pretty sure the 経済産業省 isn't going to sue Yoshi-P for retweeting gshaded pics, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"the japanese government is going to sue ffxiv if it doesn't enthusiastically ban gshade" is complete nonsense lol