Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Psycho Landlord posted:

There are a wide variety of grenade types that are incredibly useful, and Purgators with Psilencers can also disrupt or ranged crit certain enemy types that you really don't want to get close to under normal circumstances. Early game they can seem kinda weak, but later on you'll be glad you have higher ranked ones around.

An aesthetic bugbear, I'll grant you, but it annoys me when I see the grenades being thrown with the lever still on the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

here's a question: do you get enough levels to max out skill trees?

Not even close, the max level is 9.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There does appear to be an achievement for maxing out a character's skill tree so is there a late game resource sink to do so? Otherwise I'm confused by that.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zore posted:

There does appear to be an achievement for maxing out a character's skill tree so is there a late game resource sink to do so? Otherwise I'm confused by that.

My understanding of the True Mastery achievement is that it requires a Knight to have every single skill but the upgrade nodes don't count as skills.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MJ12 posted:

I do think they should have buffed baseline Knight durability/armor and made cover worse but honestly Knights aren't that fragile and you can operate in the open fine, it's not XCOM

Buffing baseline knight durability and making cover worse would also have necessitated buffing every enemy that can use cover in the game to reach the same level of balance, because the majority of the time cover benefits your enemies far more than it benefits you. It's very rarely in your interests to hunker behind cover and plink away so you generally are constantly pushing into exposed positions, while the AI can sit behind cover all day and doesn't care about injuries/losses.

MJ12 posted:

My understanding of the True Mastery achievement is that it requires a Knight to have every single skill but the upgrade nodes don't count as skills.

It's this. That achievement is stupid because you have to make basically a worthless character for it, since a lot of skills suck rear end without their upgrades and if you're going for all skills you basically can't really get upgrades beyond the prerequisites.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I am a bit confused (A running thing in this game, good as it is): I got an event that basically has Kai saying "You need to be more badass" and I chose the option to commit to a Glorious Deed, figuring that it was a matter of just taking the next glorious deed that I have available, but in the events list it says that I need to (I have a feeling this is a units spoiler) destroy a Reaper? I haven't seen those yet.

Also, if I want to unlock armory slots do I need to save my requisitions for the next Kai report?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if I want to unlock armory slots do I need to save my requisitions for the next Kai report?

Yes. If you want to upgrade your post mission loot choices you need to bank requisition for the grandmaster reports, which usually means being conservative about taking loot.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kanos posted:

Buffing baseline knight durability and making cover worse would also have necessitated buffing every enemy that can use cover in the game to reach the same level of balance, because the majority of the time cover benefits your enemies far more than it benefits you. It's very rarely in your interests to hunker behind cover and plink away so you generally are constantly pushing into exposed positions, while the AI can sit behind cover all day and doesn't care about injuries/losses.

Most of the basic cover-using enemies are early game stuff, so I don't think this is a big deal, especially because the difficulty curve needs some real work - the early game is probably too hard, because I'm pretty sure that guys who beat XCOM2 Ironman Legendary shouldn't be having trouble with Normal (and yet, that's actually a pretty common refrain I've heard). A moderate increase in starting durability and some buffs to CSMs/Chaos Terminators wouldn't be bad IMO - +2 extra armor and worse cover (or just +2 extra armor, period if you think cover is more of an advantage for enemies) wouldn't be as big of a deal in the late game where you can easily end up with like, +8 armor on your units, but would help make the early game difficulty curve less harsh.

My assumption here is that someone beating XCOM2 Ironman Legendary should be capable of doing decently first time on Ruthless if they aren't actively refusing to learn Chaos Gate's idiosyncracies, which might not be everyone else's, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I never beat Ironman Legendary, just commander a few times in both games, and I jumped into Daemonhunters on Ruthless without too much difficulty - I found the early game to be hard, but not really notably harder than any XCOM game is at the beginning.

I think it honestly might be that someone who has played enough XCOM to clear Ironman Legendary has more ingrained play patterns to iron out that are incompatible with how Daemonhunters works. Conservative plays that would be the optimal choice in XCOM or XCOM 2 are kind of crap here, this game heavily rewards YOLO plays and berserk aggression once you understand how executions work.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 11, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

Yes. If you want to upgrade your post mission loot choices you need to bank requisition for the grandmaster reports, which usually means being conservative about taking loot.

Oy, I was assuming it would give me some requisitions.

That said, I do have a have near the end of my most recent battle, so I could at least keep the for requisitions for an unlock.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm about 120ish days into the campaign and I basically just field a full team of Justicars. Not sure why I'd want any other class...

They are tanky as hell with all that armor and can give eachother constant AP so they deal tons of damage

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Kinda bummed there’s only nurgle, you fight khorne bloodletters and a daemon prince of khorne in the tutorial mission. Then after you unlock the other seeds the seed colors correspond to the other chaos gods, so thought maybe there were more daemons in it. Probably a good thing the game might have gotten bloated, there’s a ton of nurgle units.

Hopefully this game did good enough to warrant sequels/dlc because it owns and I’d love to see more factions implemented.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm about 120ish days into the campaign and I basically just field a full team of Justicars. Not sure why I'd want any other class...

They are tanky as hell with all that armor and can give eachother constant AP so they deal tons of damage

Interceptors can teleport(twice in one turn, if you're willing to blow a ton of WP on teleport strike), which is the most powerful movement ability in the game. Purgators can carry so many super-boosted grenades that they can do entire missions just lobbing bombs and never having to use their incredibly powerful guns. I guess Apothecaries are kind of trash.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Basically all the classes are good, although the Apothecary is kinda ehhh because it's a support unit in a game which rewards unrelenting aggression.

And soon you're going to unlock advanced classes, which are more specialized, but significantly more powerful. The Paladin is even tankier than the Justicar (he can replace his ranged weapon with a Storm Shield, which gives him melee overwatch and even more armor), the Librarian I haven't gotten to play with yet but is apparently ludicrously stupid - as I understand it he gets the ability to teleport your entire team at once, can directly reduce warp surge, and an unlimited use 3/5 stun AoE attack, Willpower permitting. The Chaplain has the ability to make executions give more AP, which is as stupid as it sounds. The Purifier makes flamers good, but also can make grenades even better, since they have all the Purgator grenade buffs but also give grenades +2 damage.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you install the sarcophagus and lose knights, those knight can then be communed with for extra skill points for a living knight.

It is possible to get all 36 points necessary to get everything via this method, though obviously wasteful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you install the sarcophagus and lose knights, those knight can then be communed with for extra skill points for a living knight.

It is possible to get all 36 points necessary to get everything via this method, though obviously wasteful.

:psyduck:

I've gone out of my way to avoid losing knights so I had no idea this even existed. There's also that whole augmetics system I've never interacted with or have any idea how it works.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

:psyduck:

I've gone out of my way to avoid losing knights so I had no idea this even existed. There's also that whole augmetics system I've never interacted with or have any idea how it works.

Knights who get crit wounded have a chance of getting augmetics. If you have the upgraded augmetics thing that means they have a chance at getting a stat buff. Normal augmetics are just fluff ime, no positives or negatives about them.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I got a random event where I sent a knight to get some experimental surgery or something and he got some extra armor out of it

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I feel like I got off to a rough start, taking way too much damage as I learned enemies and mechanics. I've got a barracks full of heavily wounded dudes. Had to deploy my 4 guys with light injuries in my first medium danger mission. Maybe a restarted campaign is in order.

I love Xcom, this really scratches that itch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deploying marines with light injuries is basically a non-factor, -3 HP is effectively nothing. Even heavy injuries aren't really a problem once you have some +HP armor to pass around.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah you're expected to deploy hurt dudes early on, I wouldn't sweat it.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Can you respec dudes? The talent tree is kind of confusing with how the information is displayed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sipher posted:

Can you respec dudes? The talent tree is kind of confusing with how the information is displayed

You can but it also requires a dead dude in a sarcophagus

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dumb question, are master crafted items randomly generated or is each item unique?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is the threshold for your bros to be considered hurt? I've taken damage and come back just fine.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

isn't there also a way to respec your knights if you commune? I kinda want to lose a knight, on purpose, to try it out but doesn't feel great

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I enjoy Warhams, I enjoy XCOM and XCOM-likes. Is this game worth 40 euros on sale?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I enjoy Warhams, I enjoy XCOM and XCOM-likes. Is this game worth 40 euros on sale?

It's a lot of fun as long as you don't try to play it like XCOM.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

isn't there also a way to respec your knights if you commune? I kinda want to lose a knight, on purpose, to try it out but doesn't feel great

Psycho Landlord posted:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I impulse bought this and have no regrets because it’s really good. As much as I like Xcom, more recent games have innovated in ways that make the genre better and quicker. 3 ap and rewards for playing aggressively make this exciting to play.

My purgator is now chucking multiple grenades and started pulling his weight though I’m only bringing an apothecary for variety’s sake. The movement buff did put my justicar in range for an execution spree once so that was nice.

Not sure how I feel about people reporting an inverse difficulty curve. On normal I often get into close calls and have beat a few missions by the skin of my teeth while never feeling it was bullshit hard… will be sad to see that go.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a lot of fun as long as you don't try to play it like XCOM.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BadLlama posted:

What is the threshold for your bros to be considered hurt? I've taken damage and come back just fine.

It seems to be a range. The more damage you come back with, the higher a chance of you being injured, and the higher chance of it being severe. You can take some light damage and come back and not be injured at all, or take a light injury, or you can take half your HP bar and come back and be either severely injured, lightly injured, or in very rare cases totally fine.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think it honestly might be that someone who has played enough XCOM to clear Ironman Legendary has more ingrained play patterns to iron out that are incompatible with how Daemonhunters works. Conservative plays that would be the optimal choice in XCOM or XCOM 2 are kind of crap here, this game heavily rewards YOLO plays and berserk aggression once you understand how executions work.

I'm finding that the tactics that work remind me more of Mario + Rabbids than X-Com. This is not a bad thing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

welp looks like my 3rd Apothecary is getting the axe

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

welp looks like my 3rd Apothecary is getting the axe

You mean a friendly grenade near a cliff.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
[quotpe="Angry Lobster" post="523384964"]
[/quote]

Not sure if this is :thejoke:, but the couple of times my dudes got blown off a cliff by something, they just climb back up from a nearby edge while losing a bit of hp.

Pretty good qol feature, imo. It would kinda suck to lose a high xp knight to a random grenade while he is still near full hp.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

How much of a respec/bonus skill points do you get for a dead knight? Is it based on the dead knight's level?

Taking notes for a theoretical future apothecary grinder.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The respec is just a flat respec, you get all your points back and reassign them, including any points you got via communion.

The bonus points appear to be based on the level of the knight getting communed with, but I only did it once with a rank 4 or so guy and got 4 points iirc, so it's not insubstantial.

As a side note, it doesn't have to be combat losses - the dude I communed with got murked in a text event. So long as you have the sarcophagus when a knight dies, there you go.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

RC01214 posted:

Angry Lobster posted:

Not sure if this is :thejoke:, but the couple of times my dudes got blown off a cliff by something, they just climb back up from a nearby edge while losing a bit of hp.

Pretty good qol feature, imo. It would kinda suck to lose a high xp knight to a random grenade while he is still near full hp.

Nah, I had no idea :(

Welp, so much for my cool suicidal knight, I guess I'm gonna feed a lovely dude to an enemy pack the normal way to put him on the sarcophagus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lmao, the game just offered me a heroic deed for getting two seeds in one mission, I figured "sure I can do that", and promptly failed it even though I made of point of getting them. Looks like simply recovering seeds is something different than extracting then, which is a mechanic that the game hasn't even yet properly introduced.