Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is a turn-based strategy game set in the popular Warhammer 40,000 universe, developed by new studio Complex Games and published by Frontier Foundry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611910/Warhammer_40000_Chaos_Gate__Daemonhunters/

https://i.imgur.com/cS4PKdA.mp4

What is it? What does it play like?

Daemonhunters has you playing as the Grey Knights, anti-Chaos space marines, in a campaign to uncover the nature of a mysterious new plague being spread by the minions of the plague god Nurgle. Gameplay wise, it is a turn based strategy game with a persistent strategic map. On the strategic map, you'll choose what missions to do, research upgrades, talk to your NPC buddies, and configure your squads before dropping into the turn-based missions themselves, where you'll shoot and burn heretics with your squad of Grey Knight space marines. It's very heavily inspired by Firaxis's XCOM series, but with its own twists.

https://i.imgur.com/KcOalHr.mp4

Okay, so how does it differ from XCOM?
  • No hit chance RNG: All attacks will hit 100% of the time - there's no "I put my shotgun in the alien's mouth and have a 40% chance to hit because my guy's a stupid rookie" problems here. Attacks are mitigated by positioning, cover, armor, and distance rather than random chance.
  • Huge numbers of enemies: Enemy groups can range from small squads of elite enemies like plague marines to huge groups of 6-10 plague zombies or cultists, and you will frequently engage multiple groups at once or be forced into holdout situations where you have to deal with enemy reinforcements appearing on a constant basis.
  • Small squad, but huge power: You're limited to only four marines per deployment, but each marine takes multiple actions per turn and you're blessed with a plethora of devastating skills and equipment options to make handling the huge army of enemies possible.
  • Heavy emphasis on aggression and melee: Every Grey Knight, no matter the class, is a devastating melee combatant, and much of your fighting in this game will be done up close. There is a heavy incentive to play very aggressively and utilize your powerful melee options to clear enemies quickly to avoid being overwhelmed - simply hiding behind cover and plinking your enemies to death with gunfire will almost never be sufficient on its own and will likely lead to your doom.
  • Usage of the environment: Every map is littered with objects that can be leveraged against your enemies. Besides the standard "shoot an exploding object to make it explode" things like ammo crates and such, you also get the option to shoulder check pillars to drop them on your enemies, blast steam pipes to scald the heretics to death, or shoot statues to tip them down on your foes, among others. Clever use of the environment can turn a difficult encounter into a much easier one, and it's also cool as gently caress.

Reviews:

PC Gamer: 87/100
Rock Paper Shotgun: "Daemonhunters is the absolute business"
Eurogamer: "one of the grandest XCOM homages in years"

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Reserved in case.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I want this to be good, but it’s just crashing repeatedly for me. I also see people on the Steam discussion forums saying they made it farther but found that knights become wounded when leveling up and that certain abilities don’t work. Hilariously, there seems to be two ways flamethrowers can be busted in this game: instead of having their intended 45-degree arcs they either have 0-degree arcs and don’t fire at all, or accidentally have a 360-degree arc and roast everything in range, including friendlies. I’ll give it a bit and see if they can patch out the issues.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pirate Radar posted:

I want this to be good, but it’s just crashing repeatedly for me. I also see people on the Steam discussion forums saying they made it farther but found that knights become wounded when leveling up and that certain abilities don’t work. Hilariously, there seems to be two ways flamethrowers can be busted in this game: instead of having their intended 45-degree arcs they either have 0-degree arcs and don’t fire at all, or accidentally have a 360-degree arc and roast everything in range, including friendlies. I’ll give it a bit and see if they can patch out the issues.

Yeah, it's a bit of a rough launch. But when it works it's pretty fun and good. Also seeing a giant tincan of a man shoulder-checking a giant statue right into someone's face will never get old.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
We get so few decent warhammer games that I'll take anything playable. Since XCOM is dormant for now this is an easy buy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm having none of those issues and blasting the poo poo out of chaos

the game really expects you to engage in all the mechanics like stunning enemies for executions. there's a pretty wide skill try but no idea if you'll get enough points to fill it out. so I've been focusing on more warp points and upping damage on the basic skills

pro tip that took me a while to figure out. you want the hammerhand skill on your melee skill to guarantee critical melee hits. that way you can extract seeds way easier. took me like 40 days to figure that out

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a rough launch. But when it works it's pretty fun and good. Also seeing a giant tincan of a man shoulder-checking a giant statue right into someone's face will never get old.

I’m sure they’ll get it together and I bet I’ll check it out later.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm having none of those issues and blasting the poo poo out of chaos

the game really expects you to engage in all the mechanics like stunning enemies for executions. there's a pretty wide skill try but no idea if you'll get enough points to fill it out. so I've been focusing on more warp points and upping damage on the basic skills

pro tip that took me a while to figure out. you want the hammerhand skill on your melee skill to guarantee critical melee hits. that way you can extract seeds way easier. took me like 40 days to figure that out

You can get the seed-extracting servitor skulls pretty quick so it's not as important as you think. Hammerhand is still nice for things like disabling death explosions, though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you need two seeds to get that research, and can get hammerhand at level 2 on justicars and interceptors. I was at a point where I couldn't do any research for like 20 days due to the inability to get seeds. so it felt important to me :shrug:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I didn't seem to run into too much of a seed shortage without hammerhand, but I'm pretty fanatical about aggressive melee pushes and stunning enemies(which allows an autocrit).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you need two seeds to get that research, and can get hammerhand at level 2 on justicars and interceptors. I was at a point where I couldn't do any research for like 20 days due to the inability to get seeds. so it felt important to me :shrug:

There's also usually at least 1 seed growth thing on the ground on each level that you can get a seed from for free -- they're easy to miss since they look like any other environmental hazard.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am a little confused on when the part targeting appears. Is it on Melee crits?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's also usually at least 1 seed growth thing on the ground on each level that you can get a seed from for free -- they're easy to miss since they look like any other environmental hazard.

I've honestly missed these till now :tipshat:

no wonder I've been behind

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I was enjoying the game until I got a bug somewhere around the first boss fight that won’t let me repair my ship at all. I think it was from an event that just never cleared, but I made it through day 300 until I realized I can’t finish the game with no way to repair or upgrade the ship.

I also agree with everyone who says that the balancing is off. The beginning 3 missions or so need to be much easier than they are, but soon enough you get strong enough to make it almost too easy. Also once I got harvesting skulls, I never had any use for melee. 3 ranged purgators and a justicar for the ap/wp boost is much easier than trying to get into melee, though interceptor is hilarious.

The game doesn’t have hit chance for normal shots, but it just replaces that randomness with crit chance, because crits are where the real damage is, and everything else is just chip. There’s randomness in all the auto skills (will I get an AP or WP refunded? 50/50) and the random events that pop up on the campaign map that can absolutely hose you without any good upside make it much more random than it probably should be. My gripes are that the maps are too large and take to long to traverse in each mission, the enemies move too far and some of them can drop a bomb on your head immediately upon activation before you get a chance to move, which sucks if you’re standing next to something that can explode. I don’t really like the bloom mechanic and being “punished” for using your powerful skills, but I also found that I could mostly ignore it and just wait for reinforcements to arrive and deplete them (until the bloom counter adds more reinforcements, haha).

So anyway, I had a couple of other bugs like a non- responsive UI that made me have to restart the game, but overall I like it. I don’t think it’s as well- designed as the recently-released King Arthur Knight Tales or whatever that one was called, but I’m having fun with it.

However, If my second game here becomes unplayable due to the same game-breaking bug (or another one), I’ll shelve it and probably not come back. All in all, I think it just highlights how good xcom is while not really improving on it. But I guess given time, this game has a lot of potential.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am a little confused on when the part targeting appears. Is it on Melee crits?

I think the stun meter has to be depleted- it’s the number on the skull when you mouse over an enemy. There’s a bunch of explanations of mechanics/statuses in the settings tab for some reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

I think the stun meter has to be depleted- it’s the number on the skull when you mouse over an enemy. There’s a bunch of explanations of mechanics/statuses in the settings tab for some reason.

Crits can happen without stuns. A stun just allows a guaranteed crit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really enjoying this. When you get tons of Chaos around you but get an execution spree going and your other guy gets a scattershot lined up with 5 guys instagibbed from it .. it's just awesome. I obliterated 30 guys like it was nothing in the last mission. Yeah, you can put your guys in dumb situations and you'll get wrecked and it'll be non-fluffy. But if you play the abilities right, you feel like the OP Daemonhunters they should be. At least they have been for me. I hope it keeps this way because I'm enjoying stomping the everloving poo poo out of Chaos right now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was really enjoying this, but then I got a bug where I couldn't move my dudes. Reloading resolved it, and I was going to restart the mission anyway due to things goings bad, me being a dumbass, and also choosing to take the Glorious Deed for not spending Willpower. Still, I think maybe I take it easy on the game while a patch or two comes. I do really dig the game enough to not refund it (Not that I realistically could; I already played past the 2 hour mark).

EDIT: Actually, I may as well restart to get rid of a couple of early mistakes (I am only on like my 3rd or 4th mission). Speaking of which:

1. Take the Terminator armor upgrade on the starting dude. I was under the impression that the armor wasn't available at that point, but then I saw it right there in your inventory.

2. When placing Prognosticars, the Corruption reduction bonus only applies to the planet you apply it to, not the adjacent ones. Still probably worth aiming for coverage, that said.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 8, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
While I support Grandmaster Kai's efforts to regularly dunk on the inquisitor, I wish he wasn't so passive-aggressive towards the player. During a report I tried to not lay blame on anyone and focus on the campaign and barred me from accessing the armoury for 60 days. What a loving dick.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Am I missing something or is the Psilencers completely worthless compared to the Psycannon? The Psycannon kills entire pods in one use of it's ability, whereas the Psilencers doesn't go through cover and only has 7 range, making it only useful for sniping with regular shots, which is a use case I never find myself wanting.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cynic Jester posted:

Am I missing something or is the Psilencers completely worthless compared to the Psycannon? The Psycannon kills entire pods in one use of it's ability, whereas the Psilencers doesn't go through cover and only has 7 range, making it only useful for sniping with regular shots, which is a use case I never find myself wanting.

The psilencer has 14 range, not 7, and it has more base ammo than the psycannon. What really tells them apart is their associated skills, being able to ignore partial cover, even more range and more crit chance is huge. Also the 'support fire' passive is really good. If you find a psilencer with armor piercing, it becomes an amazing damage dealer. At rank 1, I agree that a psycannon is probably better just for the AoE effect though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does this game use the "see no evil" pod system?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
At the moment I'm playing this on standard difficulty and finding it really hard. I don't really mind the challenge per se but I do wonder if I'm missing a anything that's bloody obvious.

As an aside. Is there really any reason to not just slam everyone who can wear it into terminator armour? I know it's slower but realistically your dudes are so fragile that you want to stick together as a group and the two armour pips massively help.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

God drat it. The smart play here is clearly to wait a couple of months for patches and polishing. But I wanna play it now!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Deptfordx posted:

God drat it. The smart play here is clearly to wait a couple of months for patches and polishing. But I wanna play it now!

Come purge the unclean, my lord

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kitchner posted:

At the moment I'm playing this on standard difficulty and finding it really hard. I don't really mind the challenge per se but I do wonder if I'm missing a anything that's bloody obvious.

As an aside. Is there really any reason to not just slam everyone who can wear it into terminator armour? I know it's slower but realistically your dudes are so fragile that you want to stick together as a group and the two armour pips massively help.

It isn't just about speed. The maps tend to have a lot of spots for power armor guys to jump across or up and down. It really opens up maneuverability.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Angry Lobster posted:

The psilencer has 14 range, not 7, and it has more base ammo than the psycannon. What really tells them apart is their associated skills, being able to ignore partial cover, even more range and more crit chance is huge. Also the 'support fire' passive is really good. If you find a psilencer with armor piercing, it becomes an amazing damage dealer. At rank 1, I agree that a psycannon is probably better just for the AoE effect though.

The psilencer aoe has range 7. The single target range hasn't been very relevant, as the number of times i fire single shots is pretty minimal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cynic Jester posted:

The psilencer aoe has range 7. The single target range hasn't been very relevant, as the number of times i fire single shots is pretty minimal.

Thought you were talking about the normal gun range. I don't value the psilencer's aoe attack at all because it does friendly fire, which makes it very difficult to use without hurting your own team.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The psilencer's force boost is disruptive fire, which allows you to break suppression and overwatch at 14 range base in one action without spending grenades or having to get a guy into melee. This is incredibly useful, especially on the higher difficulties where boosted enemy HP means it's frequently impossible to kill a stubber cultist or plague marine in one action.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

Does this game use the "see no evil" pod system?
Like XCOM 1 yeah. However the game gives you both clear indications of where unseen pods are as you approach and also which direction they'll be moving in next turn, so even if you don't know what's in it you'll know where they are and where they're going.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm finding Justicars ridiculously good all rounders - psy cannons, terminator armour, melee weapons, and a hand out action points buff is everything I wanted. And with the cannon having an AoE I don't need frag grenades so much and I'm just not seeing much point in the purgator. (I also got my medic benched early and don't seem to feel the lack of one when set against a whole lot of extra firepower).

Question about my favourite class - the Interceptor can get a Psilencer as a weapon from a skill - but on the Purgator that's a two handed weapon and thus takes away all their melee, while my Justicar can melee with a psy cannon. Would my interceptor be unable to melee if they had a psilencer?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
on the subject of apothecaries. I've been using them to keep people topped off, health wise, by the end of missions to keep our glorious pretty boys from having even light wounds

I do this because I ran into a random space hulk mission that requires a fully healthy squad to start

it also helps that apothecaries have a melee skill that lets them auto-extract a seed. in the end all classes get a bunch of pretty useful skills

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

I'm finding Justicars ridiculously good all rounders - psy cannons, terminator armour, melee weapons, and a hand out action points buff is everything I wanted. And with the cannon having an AoE I don't need frag grenades so much and I'm just not seeing much point in the purgator. (I also got my medic benched early and don't seem to feel the lack of one when set against a whole lot of extra firepower).

Question about my favourite class - the Interceptor can get a Psilencer as a weapon from a skill - but on the Purgator that's a two handed weapon and thus takes away all their melee, while my Justicar can melee with a psy cannon. Would my interceptor be unable to melee if they had a psilencer?

You can still melee with a two handed weapon, your melee just becomes a shoulder check which does...2 or 3 damage, IIRC, I forget which.

I haven't done it personally, but I suppose but the theoretical use case for a psilencer interceptor is having an incredibly powerful cone attack on someone who can teleport.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hello Chaos Gate thread

So this game is a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hello Chaos Gate thread

So this game is a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be
How do you mean? Do you mean in length, depth, or actual world size? Does anyone know if we get to go to other sectors besides the starting one and it's handful of planets?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

How do you mean? Do you mean in length, depth, or actual world size? Does anyone know if we get to go to other sectors besides the starting one and it's handful of planets?

After you handle a story event that everyone plays up as the climax of the plot, you learn there's four more distinct bloom strains and the sector doubles in size and introduces new mechanics such as roving chaos fleets

Also lmao that this game solved the Inverse Difficulty problem by not solving it at all whatsoever and just going all in on making everything you do with your dudes as badass as possible (though certain lategame enemies like helbrutes are way ruder than anything in Firaxcom ever was)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Psycho Landlord posted:

After you handle a story event that everyone plays up as the climax of the plot, you learn there's four more distinct bloom strains and the sector doubles in size and introduces new mechanics such as roving chaos fleets
lets loving gooooooooo

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also lmao that this game solved the Inverse Difficulty problem by not solving it at all whatsoever and just going all in on making everything you do with your dudes as badass as possible (though certain lategame enemies like helbrutes are way ruder than anything in Firaxcom ever was)
I know a lot of people hate this in tactics games but tbh as a below-average-to-average-at-best player ramping up in power is fun as hell. I loved being an endless headshot sniper-god in WotC and I loved being an eternal chainsaw demon in Gears Tactics (play Gears Tactics it's super good).

Does the ability to unlock the weapon/armor perks come through the plot or something? I could swear I've mouse-overed every ship upgrade and haven't noticed anything about an armorer.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 8, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pierson posted:

lets loving gooooooooo

Does the ability to unlock the weapon/armor perks come through the plot or something? I could swear I've mouse-overed every ship upgrade and haven't noticed anything about an armorer.

Yes, after completing the plot mission mentioned above, at some point a ship event will trigger unlocking the upgrade system

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's awesome and I wish I hadn't moused over it.

Really enjoying this so far, although there's some janky edges. In particular I somehow keep melee attacking when I mean to shoot. The plant enemies are frustratingly tough as well.

Has anyone found a use for the flamethrower? Seems like the heavy machine gun (psilencer?) gives you the same crowd control without robbing you of long ranger coverage.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ZeusJupitar posted:

That's awesome and I wish I hadn't moused over it.

Really enjoying this so far, although there's some janky edges. In particular I somehow keep melee attacking when I mean to shoot. The plant enemies are frustratingly tough as well.

Has anyone found a use for the flamethrower? Seems like the heavy machine fun (psilencer?) gives you the same crowd control without robbing you of long ranger coverage.

On purgators flamers seem kinda meh but once you get access to purifiers they apparently have better synergy with them