Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Beef Of Ages posted:

Maybe a delivery driver accidentally knocked it off during a delivery? I can't imagine what it could be other than that.

It’s always birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So my new house has a toilet like this:

It does not appear to be a reproduction model, ie new trying to look old, its just old.

Is this a must replace right now sort of thing, or can I safely leave it as is so long as Im ok with the extra water usage? The inspector turned up no leaks, concerns, etc with it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Keep that thunder jug!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Id love to keep it! I think it looks cool and it turbo blasts turds into oblivion.

Just hope it keeps on flushing away happily and leak free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

So... what's the most obnoxious thing that's gone missing on the exterior of your house? Someone stole(?) my loving doorbell. Went out front this morning and there's a nice big hole + wires where it ought to be.

It wasn't an expensive one or anything (a dumb-bell, if you will), but what the gently caress, people.

You know, if you had a smart doorbell, you'd have video footage telling you exactly what happened :smuggo:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You know, if you had a smart doorbell, you'd have video footage telling you exactly what happened :smuggo:

So would every police department in a 200-mile radius, with or without my permission. :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am sure the police love seeing my Amazon delivery guy throwing a peace sign to my door bell everytime he makes a delivery.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

So... what's the most obnoxious thing that's gone missing on the exterior of your house? Someone stole(?) my loving doorbell. Went out front this morning and there's a nice big hole + wires where it ought to be.

It wasn't an expensive one or anything (a dumb-bell, if you will), but what the gently caress, people.

My PO had a lazy Susan corner cabinet in the kitchen... that had no lazy Susan actually inside. They had obviously DIYed it and then removed it, cause the support.. "floor" of the cabinet had five different fasteners and more shim than actual floor.

I bought an entire lazy Susan cabinet, removed the rotating bit inside, and somehow on my first try properly leveled and installed it. I'm still pretty proud of that, honestly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno if you're allowed to call it a Lazy Susan anymore

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno if you're allowed to call it a Lazy Susan anymore

Oh for real? I know nothing about the etymology of that word so my apologies!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm just joking I don't think Susans have been complaining about it lately

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So my new house has a toilet like this:

It does not appear to be a reproduction model, ie new trying to look old, its just old.

Is this a must replace right now sort of thing, or can I safely leave it as is so long as Im ok with the extra water usage? The inspector turned up no leaks, concerns, etc with it.

You can fill an old 1 gallon milk jug with water and put it inside the tank to displace water in the antique tank to reduce water consumption (and remove it if you need to flush down a mega-turd)

Swap the 1 gallon jug for a 20oz/1 liter/2 liter soda bottle to tune it. Fill the bottom with gravel or sand from your yard if it's moving around too much

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm just joking I don't think Susans have been complaining about it lately

Lol

I could start calling it a Lazy Bridget, that's the name of my garbage PO...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I like to think of them as Helpful Susans

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

never ring doorbell

gently caress the police.

gonna roll my own surveillance with a NAS at some point and not point it at anyones property except my own.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Deviant posted:

never ring doorbell

gently caress the police.

gonna roll my own surveillance with a NAS at some point and not point it at anyones property except my own.

This is the way. Along with a private non-routable vlan for your cameras, for multiple reasons.

The NVR inside the gun safe is optional.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

The NVR inside the gun safe is optional.

The final form of smart guy who likes guns though

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Hadlock posted:

Fill the bottom with gravel or sand from your yard if it's moving around too much

Wait did you mean fill the bottom of the bottle?

Unrelated, anyone got tips on how to unblock a gravel filled syphon unit?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor couch or decent brands of outdoor furniture? Looking to add something to the deck. I don't have budget in mind yet, but I'm definitely looking to spend enough to get something that won't immediately fall apart (but also until I'm sure this is a thing we'll use a lot, I'd probably also avoid anything crazy expensive).

I can be more specific with dimensions and such if it helps, but I'm looking for brand recommendations as much as anything. I'm in Wisconsin, property is shaded.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Grumpwagon posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor couch or decent brands of outdoor furniture? Looking to add something to the deck. I don't have budget in mind yet, but I'm definitely looking to spend enough to get something that won't immediately fall apart (but also until I'm sure this is a thing we'll use a lot, I'd probably also avoid anything crazy expensive).

I can be more specific with dimensions and such if it helps, but I'm looking for brand recommendations as much as anything. I'm in Wisconsin, property is shaded.

Aldi has an outdoor sectional this week

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/this-weeks-aldi-finds/this-weeks-aldi-finds-detail/ps/p/belavi-outdoor-rattan-sectional/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That sort of thing screams Costco to me.

Likely to be high quality at a good price, good return policy, etc. I'd check out what they have online.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Finally had some time to investigate the smelly drain. It turns out the culprit was a bunch of mold that had grown under the drain cover itself - nice! Our PO was gross. Bleached everything to death and really secured the cover so it won’t be a problem going forward.

And snaked the drain for good measure and found nothing, so that’s a bonus.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Finally had some time to investigate the smelly drain. It turns out the culprit was a bunch of mold that had grown under the drain cover itself - nice! Our PO was gross. Bleached everything to death and really secured the cover so it won’t be a problem going forward.

And snaked the drain for good measure and found nothing, so that’s a bonus.

Nice!

But certain style drain covers do tend to get nasty no matter what. Seems like the larger ones are the worst offenders.

Now that you know how to get it up shouldn't be a big deal to clean it occasionally.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Came home from a week in Costa Rica to a furnace that won't start up. The inducer motor starts but nothing else happens after that. Ignitor never lights, gas never kicks on etc.

I saw it's common for the pressure switch line to get clogged so I made sure it was clear but no luck. Of course it's not that easy.

I'm new to furnaces but it seems like the issue might be the pressure switch? I'll have to get my multi meter out and check to see if it's still good. The furnace is old (90s) so I'm guessing it might be time to old yeller the thing soon but that's going to be costly. If we do, I might have central air installed while they're at it.

Owning a home is so fun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It might be the pressure switch. I could just as easily be an obstruction in the exhaust. Could be a condensate issue (if it does that, maybe not for a 90s furnace).

Find the model number, search for a manual. Should have something to help you nail it down and posting here would likely provide you with the easy path towards what you look for.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

Came home from a week in Costa Rica to a furnace that won't start up. The inducer motor starts but nothing else happens after that. Ignitor never lights, gas never kicks on etc. ...
Owning a home is so fun.

This happened to my Goodman. It would try to start & cycle off. In my case, it was the ignitor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

This happened to my Goodman. It would try to start & cycle off. In my case, it was the ignitor.

That's also a good and easy thing to check for complete failure. With the front cover off you should be able to see if not the ignitors themselves something glowing in the gas tubes during the startup sequence. If no glow you know that at the very least it hasn't even gotten to trying to light them (which could also be the pressure switch - the manual should have some sort of flow chart for the startup sequence)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

I am sure the police love seeing my Amazon delivery guy throwing a peace sign to my door bell everytime he makes a delivery.

I was referring mostly to this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...eillance-reach/

One of the police departments making extensive use of it (and apparently getting around the whole "ask the homeowner" thing somehow) was the Oakland PD. Oakland is just up the road from me, and I assume whatever they have, every other PD in the vicinity has. (And more, because whatever is in the public knowledge / reported on is probably only half what they actually have access to.)

I was actually planning on insisting on the PO taking their Ring Doorbell and Nest thermostat with them when they left and replacing them with non-automated ones as part of my offer, but the selling agent actually contacted us before the offer went in saying that any offer would have to be contingent on them doing exactly that, b/c they didn't want to leave them behind. Sooo... yeah, victory there. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have the manual. If the PO #2 was good for anything, she kept the documentation for the furnace when it was installed and every single service document since the late 90s including three permits for installation and gas line (Used to be oil).

I see one was installed around 98 (which I believe is the current) but I have another work slip for 2010 for nearly $5k for a new furnace and control board but I missing sales tax etc. I'm not sure if it was just a quote.

Regardless, the manual states:

I removed the pressure switch, cleaned the hose and the incoming nozzle. Blowing in the hose activates the switch. Seems to function fine.

I looked over all the fuses and nothing was tripped. I've restarted it several times with no luck. Same result. Inducer comes on, switch clicks, then nothing else. Inducer just keeps going.

My guess is my issue is the ignitor. If the ignitor doesn't come on, the gas solenoid won't open so I think that's my issue. It's cheap enough ($30) that I'm going to start with that.

I ordered a new one which should arrive Thursday.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Welp, I guess the manufacturer for the recessed ceiling lights in my hallway has really managed to dial in their product lifetime to a very specific number of years/months.
Four of them have had plastic parts break (resulting in the lights dangling out of the holes) in about two weeks time. I think these lights are about seven years old, so on that scale, such precision is kind of admirable.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Verman posted:

I have the manual. If the PO #2 was good for anything, she kept the documentation for the furnace when it was installed and every single service document since the late 90s including three permits for installation and gas line (Used to be oil).

I see one was installed around 98 (which I believe is the current) but I have another work slip for 2010 for nearly $5k for a new furnace and control board but I missing sales tax etc. I'm not sure if it was just a quote.

Regardless, the manual states:

I removed the pressure switch, cleaned the hose and the incoming nozzle. Blowing in the hose activates the switch. Seems to function fine.

I looked over all the fuses and nothing was tripped. I've restarted it several times with no luck. Same result. Inducer comes on, switch clicks, then nothing else. Inducer just keeps going.

My guess is my issue is the ignitor. If the ignitor doesn't come on, the gas solenoid won't open so I think that's my issue. It's cheap enough ($30) that I'm going to start with that.

I ordered a new one which should arrive Thursday.
Is there a blinking light on the control board indicating a specific error code?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

the selling agent actually contacted us before the offer went in saying that any offer would have to be contingent on them doing exactly that, b/c they didn't want to leave them behind. Sooo... yeah, victory there. :v:

Potentially tanking a high 6 figure house sale because you want to make sure you take $500 with of consumer electronics with you.

Glad it worked out for you/everybody, but wow people are stupid.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Potentially tanking a high 6 figure house sale because you want to make sure you take $500 with of consumer electronics with you.

I can't fault a first time buyer not knowing that, especially given the way things were when perhaps their parents were buying, but that's some noob poo poo their agent should have immediately told them was stupid.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

More like $250, even better

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Is there a blinking light on the control board indicating a specific error code?

Both LEDs light up and blink slowly which is normal for a few seconds

then the inducer starts and the pressure switch clicks.

The ignitor never starts to heat up, the gas never flows.

Then I get a green #2 led that blinks slowly while the #1 led is off.

Given the image above, it leads me to think there's a problem with the pressure switch.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I have to uninstall the PO's Ring doorbell. First, I hate IOT and monthly subscriptions to doorbells. But more importantly, I have no idea what the login and password or whatever the gently caress for it, and as far as I know the PO is peeping on my glorious front lawn hydrangeas. Anyone have good ideas for non-subscription based doorbells? I'm open to anything up to and including the talking door knockers from the Labyrinth.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

Both LEDs light up and blink slowly which is normal for a few seconds

then the inducer starts and the pressure switch clicks.

The ignitor never starts to heat up, the gas never flows.

Then I get a green #2 led that blinks slowly while the #1 led is off.

Given the image above, it leads me to think there's a problem with the pressure switch.

Change out the ignitor. It should come on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigHead posted:

I have to uninstall the PO's Ring doorbell. First, I hate IOT and monthly subscriptions to doorbells. But more importantly, I have no idea what the login and password or whatever the gently caress for it, and as far as I know the PO is peeping on my glorious front lawn hydrangeas. Anyone have good ideas for non-subscription based doorbells? I'm open to anything up to and including the talking door knockers from the Labyrinth.

It's 2 wires. Take it off and replace it with a regular button. You will need to find the doorbell transformer to remove the bypass on it to make that work (find it, send pics, we can walk you through that).

There are no good options I'm aware of right now for video doorbells, even if you're a home automation nerd trying to roll your own backend systems. Someone please prove me wrong. I will very much appreciate it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

There are no good options I'm aware of right now for video doorbells, even if you're a home automation nerd trying to roll your own backend systems. Someone please prove me wrong. I will very much appreciate it.

Apple's Homekit video is supposed to be end-to-end encrypted and inaccessible to anyone other than the account owner, to the same degree as other iCloud storage. Belkin makes a compatible doorbell which seems well-reviewed. Of course, you're still paying Apple for the storage, there's an extra device floating around your network, etc.

e: My router lets me set up a second wireless "guest" network so I just connect my doorbell there, which helps.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Use more commercial grade stuff like Zenitel or axis if you're really that deep into the backend stuff? Go full blown SIP setup if you want to go crazy.