Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this is the Google thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

every company of a certain size does this. they tell you never to discuss anything potentially compromising over email, and if you’re talking about something that might end up bad CC lawyers and rubber stamp it with privileged and confidential.

I used to work in risk management at the biggest laboratory product distributor in the US and this was hammered into us over and over and over again, do not email anything that's even vaguely questionable and do not discussion personal information in an email. You'll look real dumb poking fun at your wife in an email that ends up being subpoenaed into the public record.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which google invents the start menu

https://i.imgur.com/KEdHdMt.mp4

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

in which google invents the start menu

https://i.imgur.com/KEdHdMt.mp4

i'd honestly prefer that to the windows 11 start menu

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
os * {
border-radius: 20px;
}

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

os * {
border-radius: 20px;
}

i really dislike it. square windows for life

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
today Google Assistant popped up a "reminder" that the CEO of UPS is resigning today after announcing that he would do so a month ago

no idea why the gently caress it thought i needed to know this

after it reminded me that a payment was due... because i got an amazon receipt in my mail? i guess i can least see where that came from even though it's useless and wrong, whereas the UPS CEO one was just ???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it just looks for dates in your email and through some inscrutable algorithm turns some of them into reminders. i think it's a newly "improved" feature because i've gotten a pile of weird ones recently.

e: actually i'll bet the algorithm is just something incredibly dumb like locate all dates, find ones prepended by the word "by", select the sentence up to "by" and make a reminder out of it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

feel like poo poo, just want inbox back

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an update to android would be nice

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

a million things

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
google is apparently rebranding the google pay/gpay/google wallet? thing again

https://9to5google.com/2022/04/11/new-google-pay-wallet-icon/ posted:

The “new” Google Pay was announced in November 2020 with two key tentpoles. Both have failed by all accounts, and the company said at the start of this year that Pay is next going to become a “comprehensive digital wallet.” That change has yet to materialize, but a new “Wallet” icon seen by 9to5Google could be the start of Google Pay’s future.

Google now wants Pay to “become the connective tissue for the entire consumer finance industry,” including crypto partners. The “comprehensive digital wallet” would make Google’s app a home for “digital tickets, airline passes and vaccine passports.”

This new icon could very easily replace the existing one for the Google Pay brand. That being said, speculating on the “how” is not actually that straightforward given how convoluted Google’s current payments implementation has become.

there is a level beyond corporate adhd, and google has achieved it

(i really did not know there was a "google wallet" which was just for p2p payments apparently?)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol sounds like some apple pay/wallet jealousy again

which, fair. it’s very good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

most people pine for reader but inbox is the one i’ll never forgive google for axing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at this point feedly is better than reader ever was but being paid it doesn't do anything to grow the popularity of rss

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Now between Pay and Wallet they can just alternate which one they are dropping and which one they are (re)launching.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

at this point feedly is better than reader ever was but being paid it doesn't do anything to grow the popularity of rss

the network effects always were the main value of reader. it wasn't exceptionally good even by the standards of the time in any way other than how easy it was to become exposed to it and get started, but that was an incredibly important thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rss would have gone away even if reader stayed. every website now exists to fingerprint you and accumulate as much data as possible to sell to advertisers while also pushing you to further interacting with THE BRAND, and none of that is possible via an rss feed. every entry would just be CLICK HERE TO VIEW ARTICLE

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

am i remembering correctly that reader would detect duplicate-ish stories and group them? must have been a test pilot for their news aggregation, that was a useful feature

feedly is fine as a basic server to sync items against if you use a rss app. i made the switch when i got tired of ttrss being finicky on my raspi and it's been fine at the free tier, but i don't have that many feeds i follow regularly. the only thing i miss from ttrss that would cost me is some form of pre-filtering by tags to remove items i'm not interested in automatically

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
prolly a bad rec for this thread but netnewswire has started to be actively developed again by the og dev and it's pretty good on apple ecosystems

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

carry on then posted:

rss would have gone away even if reader stayed. every website now exists to fingerprint you and accumulate as much data as possible to sell to advertisers while also pushing you to further interacting with THE BRAND, and none of that is possible via an rss feed. every entry would just be CLICK HERE TO VIEW ARTICLE

this was already something that was happening, often you'd get a paragraph or two and then the link to the rest

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, that's why i quit using rss. some clients would attempt to follow the link to get the text but it was very hit and miss

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, that's why i quit using rss. some clients would attempt to follow the link to get the text but it was very hit and miss

they’ve got pretty good at doing this in recent years, only a tiny minority of sites break that feature in my experience. most sites offer some kind of feed and most good clients allow you to turn on fetching the article automatically for the sites that don’t put the full article in the feed, so it works out to be pretty seamless.

it remains extremely nice for keeping track of infrequently updated sites. larger publications like guardian and FT even allow you to subscribe to a feed of articles from just one topic or writer which is super helpful if you’re into that

mediaphage posted:

prolly a bad rec for this thread but netnewswire has started to be actively developed again by the og dev and it's pretty good on apple ecosystems

yeah i use this. it’s great! free and not overloaded with features or custom UI — reminds me a lot of the stock OSX mail app. the free sync service they offer is good enough that i stopped paying for feedbin, which i was purely using though NNW anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 17, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what the gently caress my phone updated and now I can't see any notifications on the lock screen and googles own help page points to a settings tab that doesn't exist

loving clowns

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

andoird

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what the gently caress my phone updated and now I can't see any notifications on the lock screen and googles own help page points to a settings tab that doesn't exist

loving clowns

Anroid.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think I got it working, I had to enable "show message" or "bubble" or some nonsense like that.

god the settings menu is such trash. My wife actually has her lock screen permanently set to show a message saying "John Madden!" Because i set it as a joke and she couldn't work out how to disable it, now she just accepts it as a reminder that she married an idiot.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have a huawei mate 10 pro that i use sometimes, mostly as a camera as it has a pretty good sensor, leica lenses and a pretty goddamn accurate 21:9 OLED. also i like using termux so i can use MY TOOLS afterwards

i missed the boat on getting an unlock code for the bootloader juuuust before trump made it basically impossible to contact huawei. as a result it's stuck on anroid 9, but that means the performance and battery is still pretty drat good too

anyway i read recently it's upgradable to some huawei thing called "harmonyos". i'm obviously wary as poo poo about it, but is there any reason to use it or am i just being paranoid?

e: it's a BLA-A09

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 7, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
alternatively if anyone knows of an exploit or something that would allow me to unlock the bootloader that would no joke make my day

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think I got it working, I had to enable "show message" or "bubble" or some nonsense like that.

god the settings menu is such trash. My wife actually has her lock screen permanently set to show a message saying "John Madden!" Because i set it as a joke and she couldn't work out how to disable it, now she just accepts it as a reminder that she married an idiot.
:master:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
RSS is alive and well, in podcast form

loved to hear the marketing people whinge about not knowing whether someone really listened to the ad or not

on a related note, gently caress off spotify

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google i/o more like google j/o (imho)

todays announcements include
- terrible new smartwatch
- terrible new pixel phones
- terrible new version of andriod
- terrible new ai assistant thing that doesnt work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let’s see what the vergins have to say

quote:

Oh, and despite the fact that Google released a two-minute ad about the Pixel 5A’s headphone jack last year, the 6A doesn’t have one. Womp womp.

(the watch) will run an updated version of Wear OS 3 and will feature a Fitbit integration that lets you keep track of your health metrics. There are still some unanswered (and very important) questions about the watch, though: we don’t know what kind of chip it’ll be powered by nor do we know how much it’ll cost.

Let’s not beat around the bush here: Google has announced its version of Apple’s AirPods Pro.

Google announced that it plans to release an Android-powered tablet next year

Right at the end of its presentation, Google showed off a pair of AR glasses that were capable of real-time translation during a conversation. There are pretty much no details on whether this will be a product people can buy

Google is bringing back its Wallet app

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like my pixel 5 a lot.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this is the first time in like 6 years i haven't been working as an android dev during google io and i am completely ignoring it :c00l:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

google: skating to where the puck was four years ago

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lmao these bezels

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

that's pretty harsh for the verge so i'm gonna assume it's all really loving awful

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i don't care about whatever dumb feature they added to assistant, but it's got to be better than siri. siri's legit just terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

lmao these bezels

ooof that looks awful

my monitor is on