Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The Washington Post had an article a while ago that included a graphic about what a BTG might look like (at full strength, which current Russian BTGs may not be):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

BTGs don't necessarily have exactly the same equipment in each BTG, though.

Awesome - hadn't seen that before. Also, that means Russia lost a good chunk (if not the whole thing) of a BTG at that crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The Russians quite literally have colonels and possibly even generals screaming at privates to set up a bridge HERE and drive THOSE tanks across the bridge to occupy THIS grid point. The level of micromanaging and indifference to troop risk results in what we're seeing here.

Meanwhile, in a US Army multi-role bridge company, a single E6 commands a bridging section that can completely assemble an assault float bridge independently of the rest of the platoon. There are typically 2-3 bridging sections in each platoon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A.o.D. posted:

The Russians quite literally have colonels and possibly even generals screaming at privates to set up a bridge HERE and drive THOSE tanks across the bridge to occupy THIS grid point. The level of micromanaging and indifference to troop risk results in what we're seeing here.

There are certain advantages to this structure.

To the side trying to kill their generals, I mean

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fknlo posted:

Seems like an effective way to target continued support from certain elements of the American political right.

Like some kind of secret, hidden fascists...

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

psydude posted:

Judging by the results from Gulf War I and II, the American approach to tank design clearly won.

Gulf war 1 and 2 Were not about tank design in Any other meaningful way than ”are they reliable enoigh to drive to baghdad” and ”do they have GPS” - by the time the ground war started Iraqi army had zero command and communications remaining, their Air Force did not exist, and their AA was gone. Americans could have pulled of the thunder runs in t-62s and still won, granted they would have taken some more casualties. The only exception would be 73 easting, where the thermals were very much a wall hack.

Edit yes a hyperbolic take but I’m trying to emphasize that GW1 and 2 stomps are very much product of pre-emotive dismantling of iraqi organized defenses by other means to the level where it was a boxing match where one opponent is blindfolded, deaf and has a 45 pound gym ball taped to his left leg.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 11, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Earlster posted:

Thanks for this, been finding it hard to track down a good example.

Yeah, I've found it useful. It's important to be careful about the numbers, though--this is just one example; a tank BTG might have more tanks, less IFVs or whatever. Also, apparently some BTGs were deployed understrength, but also there have been reinforcements. And the separatist forces, etc. probably complicate things further. Point is, it's not really possible to say that Russia deployed X number of BTGs, each BTG has about Y number of troops/tanks/etc., therefore Russia had Z total troops/tanks/etc. (Not directing this at you personally, to be clear; just that people have tried using these kinds of figures in the past to estimate Russian troop strength and it doesn't really work that way.)

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 12, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Gulf war 1 and 2 Were not about tank design in Any other meaningful way than ”are they reliable enoigh to drive to baghdad” and ”do they have GPS” - by the time the ground war started Iraqi army had zero command and communications remaining, their Air Force did not exist, and their AA was gone. Americans could have pulled of the thunder runs in t-62s and still won, granted they would have taken some more casualties. The only exception would be 73 easting, where the thermals were very much a wall hack.

Edit yes a hyperbolic take but I’m trying to emphasize that GW1 and 2 stomps are very much product of pre-emotive dismantling of iraqi organized defenses by other means to the level where it was a boxing match where one opponent is blindfolded, deaf and has a 45 pound gym ball taped to his left leg.

Everyone also ignores that anyone remotely C2 capable was either dead, dying, or retired.

GW1- Iraq had just come out of the devastating Iraq Iraq War. Many of their capable leaders were killed or purged before Desert Shield. What was left was destroyed piece by piece with the allies. Iraq expected a WW2 set piece battle, and had prepared for that. They just didn't expect to be Japan '44 in the analogy; and they were hoping to bog down the big offense with dug in troops and Insurgent activity in supply lines (which was no uneffective in GW2 [which should be Gulf War 3]). Their RG units fought hard with equipment that was far out of date in comparison to the US.

GW2 was similar. During the Invasion, the most comprehensive and effective resistance was almost always either foreign fighters, or Republican Guard. The biggest way to slow down the push was to hit the supply units. 3ID had a massive problem with be allowed to transit nearly unmolested, only to have their Log Runs decimated by effective fighters.

Having talked with vets of the Iraq Iran War on both sides, from Jundi to Generals, and I can't believe they stood at all. That poo poo was a modernized WW1 horrowshow, and it is ignored by the West.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Everyone also ignores that anyone remotely C2 capable was either dead, dying, or retired.

GW1- Iraq had just come out of the devastating Iraq Iraq War. Many of their capable leaders were killed or purged before Desert Shield. What was left was destroyed piece by piece with the allies. Iraq expected a WW2 set piece battle, and had prepared for that. They just didn't expect to be Japan '44 in the analogy; and they were hoping to bog down the big offense with dug in troops and Insurgent activity in supply lines (which was no uneffective in GW2 [which should be Gulf War 3]). Their RG units fought hard with equipment that was far out of date in comparison to the US.

GW2 was similar. During the Invasion, the most comprehensive and effective resistance was almost always either foreign fighters, or Republican Guard. The biggest way to slow down the push was to hit the supply units. 3ID had a massive problem with be allowed to transit nearly unmolested, only to have their Log Runs decimated by effective fighters.

Having talked with vets of the Iraq Iran War on both sides, from Jundi to Generals, and I can't believe they stood at all. That poo poo was a modernized WW1 horrowshow, and it is ignored by the West.

Hey, I'm not going to debate you on any of that, but it sure looks like Russia is finding themselves in a similar situation at the moment, albeit as the invader instead of the defender.

e: Honestly, the Iraqi Army in 1990-91 probably performed better than the Russian Army is today, all things considered.
e2: And obviously my post was hyperbole.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The Washington Post had an article a while ago that included a graphic about what a BTG might look like (at full strength, which current Russian BTGs may not be):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

They must have separate logistics units to push supply forward because that seems like a really low number of food trucks and I don't see any ammo trucks at all. So I guess that means the BTG commanders don't have much direct control over their logistics once their initial supplies run out (assuming they had a full 10 days' worth to begin with). I'm sure that's been working out just fine for them!

I was curious about their EW equipment (neutralizing spy satellites, :lol: Washington Post, really?) so I did a quick Google search and found this article written by a former Compass Call EWO. TL;DR summary of the article, the Russians seem to have completely given up on using their EW equipment early in the war for a variety of reasons that can be summarized as "complete incompetence".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

They must have separate logistics units to push supply forward because that seems like a really low number of food trucks and I don't see any ammo trucks at all. So I guess that means the BTG commanders don't have much direct control over their logistics once their initial supplies run out (assuming they had a full 10 days' worth to begin with). I'm sure that's been working out just fine for them!

I was curious about their EW equipment (neutralizing spy satellites, :lol: Washington Post, really?) so I did a quick Google search and found this article written by a former Compass Call EWO. TL;DR summary of the article, the Russians seem to have completely given up on using their EW equipment early in the war for a variety of reasons that can be summarized as "complete incompetence".

There was a post sometime earlier in the thread during the 40 mile convoy of doom broken dreams about how Russian logistics isn't modular like it is in the US military. So while parts, ammo, and meals are tracked at the company level in a US unit, with each battalion typically having its own sustainment company, the Russian military manages it at like the division level, thereby rendering it an absolute clusterfuck.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

psydude posted:

Hey, I'm not going to debate you on any of that, but it sure looks like Russia is finding themselves in a similar situation at the moment, albeit as the invader instead of the defender.

e: Honestly, the Iraqi Army in 1990-91 probably performed better than the Russian Army is today, all things considered.
e2: And obviously my post was hyperbole.

It wasn't really directed at anyone, just brain diarrhea.

I have no place to use the 30+ years of intense academic study I did. I have no place to use the martial knowledge, so I spray poo poo, and leave.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

psydude posted:

Yeah, I don't think Ukraine gains much from invading Russia. Being within artillery range of their MSRs gives them a substantial strategic advantage, and threatening to invade will ensure that Russian forces have to remain committed to protecting the border.

welp

AFP posted:

1 dead, 3 wounded in Russia after Ukraine attack: Belgorod governor
Moscow, May 11, 2022 (AFP) - One person died and three more were injured in southwestern Russia as a result of an attack from Ukraine, the governor of Belgorod said on Wednesday.

"As of now, one person lost his life, he died in an ambulance, and there are three wounded," the governor of the southwestern region of Belgorod, Vyacheslav Gladkov, said on messaging app Telegram.

He said it was the "most difficult situation" in his region since Russian President Vladimir Putin sent troops into Ukraine on February 24.

Gladkov accused Ukraine of targeting the village of Solokhi, adding that one house was partially destroyed.

The announcement came on the 77th day of Russia's military campaign in Ukraine, which has left thousands dead.

Authorities in Russian regions bordering Ukraine have repeatedly accused Ukrainian forces of launching attacks.

In April, Gladkov said Ukrainian helicopters carried out a strike on a fuel storage facility in Belgorod.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Welp what? It's not new that Ukraine has potentially been launching attacks on Belgorod. It's not an invasion, though.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh I thought them using artillery on them was new?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh, I wasn't actually sure which part of the quoted post you were "welp"ing about

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

And all of it tied together with a dozen fuel trucks. :blyat: :getin:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bees everywhere posted:

The US primarily used a "pull" logistics system where the unit in the field makes orders for supplies and those items are delivered on demand by they supply system. It operates under the assumption that each unit commander is the most knowledgeable person to make decisions about their supply needs.

The Russians is a "Push" system where supply needs are calculated in advance based off of experience, training exercises, and the application of military theory. Supplies are pushed from the army/brigade level down to the individual units. Unit commanders don't order supplies because it's already known what a unit will need for x number of days of maneuver/combat/occupation/whatever.

Neither system was designed by idiots, and neither system would work under the conditions we saw in the assault of Kiev. The two main differences are that the Russians system tends to expend resources more efficiency than the American one (when done right) and the US system allows for greater flexibility while placing a greater demand on the number of personnel solely dedicated to logistical support.

vvv Yes

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 11, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The US system also requires a logistical tracking system that knows what you have and where you have at all times, which means strong inventory controls.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not a logistics guy- but it seemed in practice that the US system in war prioritized combat material- bullets, beans, bandaids- rather than comfort items. We couldn't get cold/wet weather crap, but we always had what we needed to start a fight (note- start, not necessarily finish/win). I never got food that expired under Carter, and even when water was an issue, it's was a solvable issue.

I'm seeing reports of Russians expecting ammo, and getting coats. Food expired when Dubya was still running things. The total lack of modern combat multipliers- Thermals, NODs, optics, lasers- among even the VDV- was shocking to me. Saw a war trophy VAL that the caption said was found with no ammo, not a single round- on the guy. He could have expended them all, but considering the reports of Russian ammo shortages, seems realistic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1524352792089010177

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That cloud looks consistent with a fertilizer explosion rather than a chemical attack, but who the gently caress is moving trainloads of ammonium nitrate in a combat zone??

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's not all combat zone and it is growing season

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's not all combat zone and it is growing season

Novomykolaivka is in a combat zone. It's within artillery range of the front lines of the southern front.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

A.o.D. posted:

Novomykolaivka is in a combat zone. It's within artillery range of the front lines of the southern front.

People still need to eat and earn money. Otherwise Europe is getting a lot more refugees and less wheat.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

One hell of a shot/chaser combo. Look at all those missing turrets, jfc :stare:

(e: I know this is separate incidents)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I mean yeah it's all combat zone, but it's still full of farmers who have to make a livelihood and the degree of combat:zone for some random field that doesn't have a military unit living in it is a lot lower. Based off of the amount of sewn fields(which almost every single video takes place in) the farmers appear to be planting everything that shells are not currently landing in.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Seems like there'd be lots of cost savings possible if they just left the turrets off in the first place

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

The US primarily used a "pull" logistics system where the unit in the field makes orders for supplies and those items are delivered on demand by they supply system. It operates under the assumption that each unit commander is the most knowledgeable person to make decisions about their supply needs.

The Russians is a "Push" system where supply needs are calculated in advance based off of experience, training exercises, and the application of military theory. Supplies are pushed from the army/brigade level down to the individual units. Unit commanders don't order supplies because it's already known what a unit will need for x number of days of maneuver/combat/occupation/whatever.

Neither system was designed by idiots, and neither system would work under the conditions we saw in the assault of Kiev. The two main differences are that the Russians system tends to expend resources more efficiency than the American one (when done right) and the US system allows for greater flexibility while placing a greater demand on the number of personnel solely dedicated to logistical support.

vvv Yes

That all makes sense, though I'm sure it's still a complete clusterfuck for them. If I was a BTG commander I would probably want the ability to hold my logistics people accountable for their failures. As it is I'm imagining if you're in a BTG that needs resupply then you have to:

A) Hope the logistics commander didn't siphon off X% of your supplies for money
B) Hope that the ammo trucks don't just dump their poo poo on the side of the road rather than drive the extra 10km into hostile territory. "I delivered the ammo, boss, see? Nothing left in my truck!"
C) Hope the untrained conscripts driving the trucks can actually find you since they probably can't communicate with you at all (and that's assuming the troops needing resupply actually know where they are at)
D) Hope your units get resupplied somewhat evenly and you don't end up with Company A oversupplied while Company C starves for one reason or another

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are other Russian tankers seeing these images of tanks exploding and vaulting turrets 100 ft in the sky? Piles of drowned IFVs? Seems like that would be crushing for morale, and I'd imagine that political officers are spending a lot of time censoring stuff, but is it even possible to hide this from your own troops?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

zoux posted:

Are other Russian tankers seeing these images of tanks exploding and vaulting turrets 100 ft in the sky? Piles of drowned IFVs? Seems like that would be crushing for morale, and I'd imagine that political officers are spending a lot of time censoring stuff, but is it even possible to hide this from your own troops?

Its easier to censor it from tank crew X when their turret heads skyward 30s after tank Y's did.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

zoux posted:

IIRC Russian troops are forbidden from possessing smartphones. Some have them smuggled in, but I'd guess that they're mostly relying on word of mouth to get information. So I don't know how many actually are aware of how bad their losses are.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

According to Russian Telegram, they are aware they are lacking, but completely unaware of how out classed they are.

50 year old tanks VS Best of Raytheon after 20 years of endless money.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Seems like there'd be lots of cost savings possible if they just left the turrets off in the first place

The first tank gets the turret, the second tank gets the ammo.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

I mean yeah it's all combat zone, but it's still full of farmers who have to make a livelihood and the degree of combat:zone for some random field that doesn't have a military unit living in it is a lot lower. Based off of the amount of sewn fields(which almost every single video takes place in) the farmers appear to be planting everything that shells are not currently landing in.

A lot of the fields we are seeing are winter wheat that was planted last fall and is just coming up now. It’s probably too soon for anything planted this spring to be sprouted yet, they’ll be just getting started as the mud dries up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

A lot of the fields we are seeing are winter wheat that was planted last fall and is just coming up now. It’s probably too soon for anything planted this spring to be sprouted yet, they’ll be just getting started as the mud dries up.

they're at a comparable latitude to the dakotas, no? winter wheat at northern latitudes gets a big wave of N around the end of april, so seems not-unreasonable to have a bunch of fertilizer around, or it might be preparatory for the coming growing season. in any event, a train of nitrogen fertilizer in an agricultural region seems anything but weird

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Obviously those blown up tanks are ukrainian tanks.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Obviously those blown up tanks are ukrainian tanks.

This is unironically what is believed by many pro-Russians and "I'm not pro russia but I just keep sharing Russia Today and Russians with attitude" people

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah but look at a lot of the recent dead tank photos. Many of them are sitting dead in a freshly planted field with new sprouts coming up. Tractors are doing their normal jobs while lying in wait for the enemy it seems.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

they're at a comparable latitude to the dakotas, no? winter wheat at northern latitudes gets a big wave of N around the end of april, so seems not-unreasonable to have a bunch of fertilizer around, or it might be preparatory for the coming growing season. in any event, a train of nitrogen fertilizer in an agricultural region seems anything but weird

Look, of course it isn't weird that there's a lot of fertilizer in farming country. All I'm saying is that giant orange toxic cloud might suggest that keeping a trainload of the stuff in range of enemy artillery and/or drones is a demonstrably bad idea.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

That Works posted:

Yeah but look at a lot of the recent dead tank photos. Many of them are sitting dead in a freshly planted field with new sprouts coming up. Tractors are doing their normal jobs while lying in wait for the enemy it seems.

I'm an expert on farms having watched Clarksons Farm and thats winter wheat which is usually planted in the fall.