Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:siren:New Bike!:siren:

2018 GSX-S750, or as I call it, the Great Success (g. Sxs, you see where I'm coming from. Yes I'm trying to hard to make that a thing. Yes I know it will never be a thing).
It is a Very Good Bike. Just lovely to ride, and comfortable, and sounds amazing. I am very happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:hellyeah: nice bike!

Do you have any mods or farkles planned for it or are you happy with it as-is for now?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FBS posted:

:hellyeah: nice bike!

Do you have any mods or farkles planned for it or are you happy with it as-is for now?

I'm planning on getting a Givi rear rack for it and top box if I can find a deal on the one I want. And probably some rim tape too. Probably get some heated grips come winter, but that's a ways away yet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:drat:

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Looks great. I wouldn't put rim tape on it, but that's a personal preference. That tail needs fixing though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

This bike rules. Congratulations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cool bike. I agree it needs a tail tidy. Why do the manufacturers do that.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

knox_harrington posted:

Cool bike. I agree it needs a tail tidy. Why do the manufacturers do that.

Government laws and regulations force them to?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah, in many countries there is a law that states the number plate has to be the rearmost thing on a vehicle. Even if it's easy to read even in a different location, the law doesn't allow that.
But i haven't heard of anyone getting fined for it.
The only person i know who was fined for having a modified number plate location, was a guy who angled his plate so far towards the sky (to make it 'in line' with his fender or whatever) that you couldn't read it from behind anymore.
He got very upset about something that's so easy to avoid. Just make sure the plate is easy to read. Even if it's technically in an illegal position, most cops won't bother you about it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Return Loss posted:

Looks great. I wouldn't put rim tape on it, but that's a personal preference. That tail needs fixing though.

Yeah I get it, but honestly most tail tidies look badly hacked on and if I'm putting a rack on it, there's going to be something sticking out back there anyway. Maybe there's a way to add all the tail stuff to something that attaches to the rack... I've been thinking about joining a local maker lab, so maybe I can figure out something that can be 3d printed, but that's going to be a long project. I really like those swingarm mounted fender plate holders like the Katana has, but I doubt anyone makes anything like that for the GSX-S. So in the end, I'm fine with leaving it stock for now.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nice!

I've always left stock plate holder on my bikes in the past, I'm cheap and lazy and balk at the $80+ cost of getting an option that isn't basically bailing wire and electrical tape. The nicer ones especially have to have lights wired up and often cost over $100.

Really happy with the one that came with my 400 already installed though, if I did it all over again I'd probably just shell out for it if it didn't have it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As far as stock license plate holders, the ones that mount to the swingarm and make like a little fender at the back (vit/svart pilen and some other bikes i think?) look better imo.

Personally, I really don't care as I can't see it while riding and the rest of the time the bike is stored out of sight.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MT09 had one of those and I hated it ha. TST Industries does good fender eliminators if they offer one for your bike, but sure they aren’t cheap. They also do awesome integrated taillights as well.

The US at least also has regulations for reflectors and must be X distance out from centerline or whatever and stuff and thats why OEM endplates have them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You guys ever heard of sheet metal?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The only time my rear fender comes into my mind is when my rear stand gets stuck on it. Yoshimura makes a nice eliminator but it’s $170. I think I might put case covers on instead and double down on the ugly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah but then you don't get that extra satisfaction as you turn your head to admire it while walking backwards in the parking lot away from it. Or taking all the glamour shots that fill up your phone :swoon:

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like a lot of work to me :colbert:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

That's fun and all, but unless you choose attack it with an angle grinder or a nibbler, and leave all kinds of edges that are about as straight as i am, the tools to work with sheet metal are quite expensive.
I'm looking to buy a small sheet cutter, just for smaller projects with thin metal and 30cm wide base material. Those are already 150 euro of the cheapest chinese thing that i can find in a local shop.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

TheBacon posted:

MT09 had one of those and I hated it ha. TST Industries does good fender eliminators if they offer one for your bike, but sure they aren’t cheap. They also do awesome integrated taillights as well.
:same: but MT03; got the tidy and the taillight with integrated turn signals and have never been hassled about it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

LimaBiker posted:

That's fun and all, but unless you choose attack it with an angle grinder or a nibbler, and leave all kinds of edges that are about as straight as i am, the tools to work with sheet metal are quite expensive.
I'm looking to buy a small sheet cutter, just for smaller projects with thin metal and 30cm wide base material. Those are already 150 euro of the cheapest chinese thing that i can find in a local shop.

You can get a plasma cutter in the middle of Lidl for about that.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I made a plate mount for the FZ09 that kept it in the same place as the original monstrosity but got rid of all of the extra plastic and the turn signals, which I replaced with an integrated tail light (separate signals can still be added under the tail).

Since there's nothing under the tail from the factory to keep poo poo from slinging up onto the rider's back, I didn't want to completely relocate the entire assembly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Finger Prince posted:

honestly most tail tidies look badly hacked on.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I hated the stock rear fender/plate setup on my Scrambler.

It went from this:

To this:

And while I think it looks worlds better, if I even THINK about riding over a puddle, some mud, a patch of dirt, or it's raining, I get a rooster tail straight up my backpack and the rear of my helmet.

Worth it, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'd think the bike would just immediately stop when exposed to conditions like that tbh

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

You'd think the bike would just immediately stop when exposed to conditions like that tbh

Nah, this bike is bulletproof. As long as it doesn't get too cold, or one of the cables doesn't rattle loose, or there isn't a random weird computer error, or it hasn't been too long since I last rode it...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tail tidy's should be mandatory.

Before:

After

Pillion seat replaced with matching rear cowl

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Rear cowls should be the default, gently caress paying for a seat for someone else. :colbert:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ducatis don’t just sense water, electronically disable the bike, and radio the dealer network to inform them you just voided your warranty?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

Ducatis don’t just sense water, electronically disable the bike, and radio the dealer network to inform them you just voided your warranty?

It also automatically dispatches a sneering Italian who's only job is to flick a cigarette at u

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New tires day!

Had to pop up into the mountains and get them scrubbed in.

Strife posted:

To this:

And while I think it looks worlds better, if I even THINK about riding over a puddle, some mud, a patch of dirt, or it's raining, I get a rooster tail straight up my backpack and the rear of my helmet.

Worth it, though.

So worth it. That's a super fun looking little bike.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I went for a longish ride today. Rode to the Muider Castle, found a nice place on the castle wall to stand on for taking bike pics.

The castle is also gorgeous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM MURDER CAST- wait I read that wrong, carry on

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Strife posted:

I hated the stock rear fender/plate setup on my Scrambler.

It went from this:

To this:

Worth it, though.

That is a good looking machine.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bar Patron posted:

That is a good looking machine.

I've always thought those Ducs looked especially pretty, so I just assumed they were lovely and uncomfortable. Are the Scramblers actually good bikes?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Define good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Define good.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Russian Bear posted:

Define good.

I look at it and while I am definitely admiring the lines of the thing, I also wonder where I would put a rack or any sort of cargo option that would let me throw in my bare minimum for commuting. More thoughts enter my head. Would I be able to fit a wind screen?

I am not the target audience for a scrambler, am I?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I look at it and while I am definitely admiring the lines of the thing, I also wonder where I would put a rack or any sort of cargo option that would let me throw in my bare minimum for commuting. More thoughts enter my head. Would I be able to fit a wind screen?

I am not the target audience for a scrambler, am I?

Oooh right so your definition of 'good' is 'practical vehicle' in which case yeah nah, no Ducati can do that for you sorry.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oooh right so your definition of 'good' is 'practical vehicle' in which case yeah nah, no Ducati can do that for you sorry.

*ahem*Multistrada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

*ahem*Multistrada

Those aren't practical either don't be stupid