Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think UST is pegged to the dollar by using Luna, which is backed by bitcoin. Its also an algorithmic peg so the algo buys/sells to maintain the peg or something, the details at this point are just irrelevant and its dumb. They buy bitcoin to make Luna they use to maintain the peg to UST or something and the algo maintains the 1:1 dollar ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I went to the r/cryptocurrency subreddit to see what the vibe is, I’ve never visited any of these subreddits before.

It’s literally post after post after post of people losing millions of dollars because something called LUNA and UST(?), which I know nothing about, apparently crashed hard and wiped away every everything. From what I gathered it sounded like the two are linked in some way, like you buy LUNA and convert it to UST at a positive value and then burn it back to more LUNA to keep going basically printing money? That’s speculation. Sounds like it didn’t go as expected. This is my favorite;

UST is known as an algorithmic stablecoin. The original round of stablecoins represented that for each coin in circulation the minters had $1 sitting in a vault to back it up. Of course this was all fraud and misrepresentation but that's crypto.

Algorithmic stablecoins involve creating a connected series of coins. One of the coins is pegged to USD or Euro or whatever. The rest sort of free float but also don't. Algorithms automatically create and destroy coins and arbitrage between the two in order to offset market movements unpegging the stablecoins. This works because algorithms and blockchain.

Anyways the market got too unstable for the automatic conversions to steady the price which caused a bank run and UST/LUNA system no longer had the liquidity to self manipulate the UST price back to $1. Which only furthered the bank run and accelerated the collapse.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wow it’s wild that digital currency still bases its value on the dollar this really feels like a brand new future economy

I don’t even know the point of crypto anymore outside of treating it like a stock. It seems like a digital commodity (I guess?), not a currency.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Can someone explain it like I'm five or in as few sentences as possible tell me what's going on with crypto right now so I can laugh at it? Right now all I get is "It's tanking".

Maybe that's all I need to know here? :shrug:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The great depression stock market crash i think

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can someone explain it like I'm five or in as few sentences as possible tell me what's going on with crypto right now so I can laugh at it? Right now all I get is "It's tanking".

Crypto is a bunch of tech bros, criminals, pedophiles, and fascists cooking the planet to speedrun the history of finance with computers. This is yet another crash like we used to have all the time before the invention of modern financial regulatory frameworks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Crypto is a bunch of tech bros, criminals, pedophiles, and fascists cooking the planet to speedrun the history of finance with computers. This is yet another crash like we used to have all the time before the invention of modern financial regulatory frameworks.

Well in that case, :lmao:

Except you know, the whole emissions part of it. That part sucks poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Handsome Ralph posted:

its a giant ponzi scheme and people are cashing out leaving the bagholders hodling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Make sure you buy the dip so that the main grifters can recoup a bit more!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Soylent Pudding posted:

UST is known as an algorithmic stablecoin. The original round of stablecoins represented that for each coin in circulation the minters had $1 sitting in a vault to back it up. Of course this was all fraud and misrepresentation but that's crypto.

Algorithmic stablecoins involve creating a connected series of coins. One of the coins is pegged to USD or Euro or whatever. The rest sort of free float but also don't. Algorithms automatically create and destroy coins and arbitrage between the two in order to offset market movements unpegging the stablecoins. This works because algorithms and blockchain.

Anyways the market got too unstable for the automatic conversions to steady the price which caused a bank run and UST/LUNA system no longer had the liquidity to self manipulate the UST price back to $1. Which only furthered the bank run and accelerated the collapse.
A crypto friend noted that people were being given 20% APY to stake UST.

https://medium.com/illumination/how-to-stake-ust-stablecoin-to-earn-20-interest-2ffae899e5fa

20 percent to let somebody borrow your crypto is crazy town. If this weren't an election year I think we end up with a whole lot more regulation after this week's poo poo show.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
These are the leading billionaires of crypto and should set it all kinds of red flags about market manipulating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvQ4p82-D54

It's eugenics and pedophilia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my description I forgot to mention that cryptocurrency makes up a meaningful portion of the funding for Best Korea's nuclear program.

Not in the sense that they've launched Juchecoin or whatever but because they do so much hacking and market manipulation.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As much as I want the crypto bros to eat poo poo, BTC was this low ~10 months ago before the banks and corporations that said crypto bros always claim they don't serve hyperinflated it to $67.5k within four months' time.

Crypto is worse than tulips because said banks and corporations can use it to trigger a recession or even possible depression pretty much at-will.

Crypto doesnt need corporatists to trigger depression at will for me.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

regulating crypto gives it legitimacy, unless the regulation is banks aren't allowed to touch it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

I went to the r/cryptocurrency subreddit to see what the vibe is, I’ve never visited any of these subreddits before.

It’s literally post after post after post of people losing millions of dollars because something called LUNA and UST(?), which I know nothing about, apparently crashed hard and wiped away every everything. From what I gathered it sounded like the two are linked in some way, like you buy LUNA and convert it to UST at a positive value and then burn it back to more LUNA to keep going basically printing money? That’s speculation. Sounds like it didn’t go as expected. This is my favorite;

These are the fuckers that won't shut up about how stupid everyone is for missing the boat for Bitcoin, Crypto in general, and NFTs.

They can rightly get laughed at. You refuse basic investing advice like not overinvesting more than you are willing to lose, and got bit. They spent years being told it was rightfully a scam, and they were going to be the ones left holing the bag, and here we are.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/jackcalifano/status/1523892127742283776?t=kd12wLU3MTDRhawM8hygiQ&s=19

I am uncertain how much to worry about this, however it is making me think I should conceal carry everywhere because I have a stupid thought that republicans will harass or assault me and my husband in public now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/jackcalifano/status/1523892127742283776?t=kd12wLU3MTDRhawM8hygiQ&s=19

I am uncertain how much to worry about this, however it is making me think I should conceal carry everywhere because I have a stupid thought that republicans will harass or assault me and my husband in public now.

I think its just a matter of "when" sadly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

I think its just a matter of "when" sadly.

Pretty much. Its dehumanizing language, they are well on their way to justifying crimes against humanity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

Tethers and stablecoins are interchangeable, tethered coins is more popular these days because they’re absolutely not stable.

They call them stablecoins because they're full of horseshit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much. Its dehumanizing language, they are well on their way to justifying crimes against humanity.

Yeah fun poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1524503601460117504?s=20&t=4wAEjJT9TRsHhE_ArNP4lQ

Literally my own mom sharing stuff to the rest of the family about how trans people are grooming kids for rape now and should have sense knocked into them. I'm so loving tired.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1524503601460117504?s=20&t=4wAEjJT9TRsHhE_ArNP4lQ

Literally my own mom sharing stuff to the rest of the family about how trans people are grooming kids for rape now and should have sense knocked into them. I'm so loving tired.

Lol someone’s getting arrested.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So glad we're going high while they prepare to do the murder

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I agree a leftist who posts that we need to arm up will get arrested again

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maffew buildings posted:

I agree a leftist who posts that we need to arm up will get arrested again

Well isn’t someone being an optimist, presuming the leftist is not shot by federal marshals.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

These are the leading billionaires of crypto and should set it all kinds of red flags about market manipulating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvQ4p82-D54

It's eugenics and pedophilia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

not sure you used the right video with the second one? I didnt' see anything about eugenics or pedophilia

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh Raven will be arrested all right...

...by her Uncle, the townie PD Lieutenants arm, as he grabs just a little too high and too tight on her shoulder, when they meet at the 3rd Ave 'only-joint-in-town-still-standing' greasy burger bar and he accosts her in his usual

"Hey sweetie! That Gab me-me about the libruls was something! We're gonna get all those pedo democrats here soon, you see!"

Later that same day he'll arrest any development into some domestic terrorism

Might arrest some Krispy Kreme later idk

He might even pull over a whole rear end DA if he's in Florida

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Said she wants detergent but really all she wants is bleach

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I bet whatever she ends up with is made by the same company....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

couple adopts black kids

“This is genocide against whites, somehow.”

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

It makes me wonder if I've
Never taken your meaning wrong
And I'm glad I haven't yet
Oh well it's too late now I guess
That's the impression that I get

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tether is every libertarian conspiracy about the federal reserve, but implemented, and on ~tHe bLoCkChAiN~

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-05-11/terra-flops

quote:

The technical term for this is a “death spiral.” Fun fact, that term is also used for something called “death spiral financing” or a “death spiral convertible” in traditional finance, which works exactly the same way. A “death spiral convertible” is a bond of a company that converts into stock of that company at a floating exchange rate, so that each $100 bond converts into $100 worth of stock at whatever the market price is.

This is extremely well-known stuff in traditional finance, though to be fair companies still sometimes do death-spiral financings. In crypto, however, people are much more willing to believe in perpetual-motion machines, and there is just a lot more mumbo-jumbo about ecosystems and staking rewards that you can throw over all of this to distract people from the essential mechanics, so … look, this is also extremely well-known stuff in crypto, and lots of people are skeptical of algorithmic stablecoins, but people keep doing them.

Let's speedrun all the worst part of traditional finance, just like we've been doing all along.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PookBear posted:

regulating crypto gives it legitimacy, unless the regulation is banks aren't allowed to touch it

Crypto is going to be very regulated soon, and it will continue to trend down until that date most likely at which point it will crater.

As a part of the budget last year or some other spending bill, I can't recall, language was amended on the statute that requires recording of any cash transaction about $10k. It has a new section on digital tokens (or somesuch language) that has a broad definition that covers all cryptocurrency including NFTs. Anyone who exchanges any crypto asset for a business purpose must report to the IRS just as if someone had given them $10k in cash. As a nontrivial number of crypto users are doing so specifically to evade taxes or government detection, poo poo is going to get really nuts in January 2024 when this goes into effect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/stablekwon/status/1464897977793728514

They saw what happened.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The verb 'to deterge' is obviously right there in the word, but I hadn't ever considered it. You can take lessons from all sorts I suppose.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/BadWeaponTakes/status/1515361631953473538

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

He's training to get shot

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know if he’s religious but he probably wouldn’t get within ten steps of that car without being holy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t know if he’s religious but he probably wouldn’t get within ten steps of that car without being holy.
Depends who's in the car. That looks like straight up assassination cosplay to me. If that's, let's say a nice gay couple that live in the neighborhood, and they're not strapped. . .

Pine Cone Jones posted:

For what it's worth, and what it's worth is likely measured in 10ths of a penny, I'm a goony bearded cisstraight male and got my CCW mostly to avoid my favorite pawn shop having to call in my background check every time I buy something. I didn't carry much until after poo poo started to go off the rails after the 2018 midterms because I live in a +15 red area and the brodozer convoys were getting concerning. Now I pretty much carry every time I'm heading into deep red territory--basically any time I go north or east from my house.