Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Lmao, the game just offered me a heroic deed for getting two seeds in one mission, I figured "sure I can do that", and promptly failed it even though I made of point of getting them. Looks like simply recovering seeds is something different than extracting then, which is a mechanic that the game hasn't even yet properly introduced.

There’s environmental markers that you can select to extract seeds, I assume it’s that. This was never specifically introduced in game for me.

The UI for anything other than dropping a pillar on someone could use some work since it’s not clear what they do until you closely read the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Psycho Landlord posted:

The respec is just a flat respec, you get all your points back and reassign them, including any points you got via communion.

The bonus points appear to be based on the level of the knight getting communed with, but I only did it once with a rank 4 or so guy and got 4 points iirc, so it's not insubstantial.

My second and third apothecary just began sweating very nervously.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Basically all the classes are good, although the Apothecary is kinda ehhh because it's a support unit in a game which rewards unrelenting aggression.

The problem with the apothecary isn't that - it's that it's not even very good support. I'd say both the Justicar's ability to hand out AP like candy and the Purgator's ability to either blind or make everyone vulnerable are both as strong as anything the apothecary can offer and much easier to use because you don't have to be right next to your target. The best way of mitigating damage isn't healing but eliminating your enemy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, the problem isn't that apothecary is a support class. Justicar is a support class and is brutally powerful, with the ability to hand out entire turns to allies, the ability to forcibly taunt enemies out of cover positions to run to their deaths, etc. Librarian is a support class with the ability to drop giant AoE stuns and teleport the entire squad. Good support abilities are the secret sauce that makes your squad a murder engine in this game; the problem is that apothecary's support options suck.

Not only is healing kind of weak, the other options the class offers are very whatever. Its two signature debuffs are bleed, which is completely useless beyond the extreme early game, and hobbled/immobilized, which are situationally useful but niche. The biomancy buffs are okay but are extremely hosed over by being on the left end of the tree while the option to actually make them ranged is on the far right end, meaning you can't actually start using them effectively until you've got a relatively high level apothecary.

The best use for the class I've seen is as a servo skull caddy.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I actually used an Apothecary pretty much all game. Termie apothecaries acting as servo skull wagons and free seed removal with the occasional bleed AOE is pretty nice!

Then again I alternated pretty much everything but Chaplains (litanies are cool but you can only have one on at a time and Chaps have no other noteworthy abilities)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

They double AP for executions.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

They double AP for executions.

Man by the time Chaplains come along you're swimming in +AP options. That litany is nice but I never missed it when I didn't have it.

They're a class I would probably always take if there was a 5th squad slot but with only 4 I'd just rather have most other things.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 12, 2022

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The problem with the Chaplain is that Litany of Hate feels like a "Win More" ability. Yes it may let you feel awesome sometimes - but if you can clear that much chaff you don't normally need the help while if you're actually facing hard opponents it will probably not help at all. And the rest of the litanies are nice but none of them change the tactical situation to give you extra options. Just to hit a bit harder or be a bit tougher (and if you want that bring a paladin). Chaplains are fun without being good (which is still better than apothecaries)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i run two purgators, a termie justicar and an apothecary as my preferred configuration but I'm only 180 days in. the justicar is a tremendous badass, (shout out Orlanthus who has never missed a mission) the apothecary keeps him on his feet and the purgators either sweep up the pieces or set up a kill zone. haven't lost a dude yet. the apothecary throwing two buffs and an AOE bleed has been very clutch. I have only had two critical wounds, the only mission that was stressful was one where I went with 3 knights.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Lmao, the game just offered me a heroic deed for getting two seeds in one mission, I figured "sure I can do that", and promptly failed it even though I made of point of getting them. Looks like simply recovering seeds is something different than extracting then, which is a mechanic that the game hasn't even yet properly introduced.

Nah that's just the objective bugging out, because I've done that a bunch and I've always completed it by stabbing the seeds out of Nurgle pinatas.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do wish we'd gone with a different Space Marine faction if for no other reason than Chain weapons are rad, power claws are cool as hell and the dumb Force weapons the Grey Knights almost exclusively use are boring.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I don't because I love the force weapons. this whole faction is so over the top that I can't help but :swoon:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
IMPORTANT : if you have the arc weapon bug (where psylancers and flamers alternate fire either have a 0 or 360 arc and are thus unusable), go into your Windows 10 regional settings and switch "Regional format" to English(UK). Now your weapons work.

No, I don't know why it works, but I vouch it does.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

neonchameleon posted:

The problem with the Chaplain is that Litany of Hate feels like a "Win More" ability. Yes it may let you feel awesome sometimes - but if you can clear that much chaff you don't normally need the help while if you're actually facing hard opponents it will probably not help at all. And the rest of the litanies are nice but none of them change the tactical situation to give you extra options. Just to hit a bit harder or be a bit tougher (and if you want that bring a paladin). Chaplains are fun without being good (which is still better than apothecaries)

The Litany was underwhelming to me because past a certain point you don't really stun guys anymore, your weapons are strong enough to kill them before that happens (unless you're really crit specced I guess).

That was until I got a Librarian to go with the Chaplain. They have an AoE Huge Stun power. The combo is ridiculous.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The apothecary has a biomancy that gives +stun on melee as well.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

BadLlama posted:

What is the threshold for your bros to be considered hurt? I've taken damage and come back just fine.

I would also like to know, but I've noticed that when it happens your dude's armour gets covered in little specks of blood (which do not disappear when healed) so there's a line to investigate and Science!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Angry Lobster posted:

Dumb question, are master crafted items randomly generated or is each item unique?

They are pregenerated and there's a tiered list (e.g. there's 3 versions of the termie armour that gives willpower, one for each req. level). As far as being unique, I would guess so but amn't sure. I haven't yet pulled the same item twice, in any event.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've changed my optimal team setup to 3 justicars and one interceptor.

Basically, the justicars exist to tank everything and then give the interceptor enough AP / round to just annihilate anything. My chosen strategy for those missions where you have to kill a huge plague flower is to just run past all the enemies in the level until the flower is visible then I teleport my entire team right on top of the flower and kill it in 1 round. Mission accomplished~

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zore posted:

I do wish we'd gone with a different Space Marine faction if for no other reason than Chain weapons are rad, power claws are cool as hell and the dumb Force weapons the Grey Knights almost exclusively use are boring.

I'm hopeful the game will have enough of a niche success that they keep declining the formula. "a few overly specialized dudes against the world" would be a perfect setup to run an eldar aspect warrior team against hordes of orks or IG f'r'instance - just replace armor with dodge and we're good to go. I suppose it would also work well with Tau, but those were after my time so I don't know much about them.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kobal2 posted:

I would also like to know, but I've noticed that when it happens your dude's armour gets covered in little specks of blood (which do not disappear when healed) so there's a line to investigate and Science!

It appears to be "taking two hitpoint hits in the same turn"

EDIT : two as in two separate instances of taking HP damage, not 2 points of damage
EDIT2 : going under a given HP threshold also seems to trigger it
EDIT3: gently caress it, I don't get it. It might just be a roll whenever you take HP damage.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 12, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't there recently a Deathwatch Xcomlike a few years back? Maybe GW figured it was too soon to revisit that well (plus it wasn't that well received, IIRC).

Also the game's called Chaos Gate, it'd be weird to break out the Deathwatch for that. Given GW seems to parcel out its IP at present in small chunks, and the Ultramarines are currently tied to Space Marine II, they couldn't reuse them. Hence using the GKs instead.

If we're thinking of the same Deathwatch game it was a mobile game mostly, solid but nothing special. You only fight nids in it afaik.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do you get Crowe if you bought the waste your money edition? I started with the bonus hammer in my inventory but don't see the bonus character anywhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

bamhand posted:

How do you get Crowe if you bought the waste your money edition? I started with the bonus hammer in my inventory but don't see the bonus character anywhere.

I don't own the fancy edition but IIRC I remember reading that you need to advance the plot for him to join. I'd bet he probably joins around the time you get advanced classes, so after the first major story mission.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hm, I'm like 350 hours in, have advanced classes and have the expanded map already.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
350 hours :stare:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

In a week? :wtc:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Whoops meant to say 350 days of the in game counter. Hours of play time would be literally impossible

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They should have let us use the baby carrier mech in the game:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

They should have let us use the baby carrier mech in the game:

Look at the gams on that one!

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
So I completed the paladin quest but my knight is still a justicar. Did I do something wrong?

FacelessVoid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 12, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Anyone else experience the action camera not working with today's update?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

bamhand posted:

Crowe just shows up via event at some point when the game opens up, there's no real way to influence it and apparently there's some randomness to it.

I think I got him around day 400.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The random event that blows up your ship, damages the reactors, damages your hull, AND kills all your servitors seems especially mean spirited.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shoulda cleansed that cult!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If in doubt, burn and purge.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Looks like auto-pause is no longer an issue for windowed mode, which is good.

Endgame woes: Mucificus / the regenerating Chaos Spawn with 50+HP that you need to take down by repeat-stunning and then laboriously reducing his health -2 HP at a time is a seriously unfun time, unless there's another method of taking him out that I haven't spotted. At least I can laugh when he kicks my little dudes into the abyss and they just exhaustedly clamber back out again to have another go at him.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I was thinking I should have turned on Ironman since I hadn’t save scummed at all… then I did a mission where I used all my ap to barely kill the plague bloom while my guys were completely surrounded and… watched the count hit only 1/2 lol.

I loaded a save from the very start and barely killed both of them with ample save scumming at the end and all my guys super hosed. Maybe I’m a giant baby for not eating the full team wipe but holy poo poo was that mission harder than anything else so far. My B team mopped up the next mission no problem right after.

Also if you’re like me and don’t care about letting your guys rest from -3 hp, prepare to get screwed by events that require 3-4 able bodied knights since they only count if fully healthy. I was skipping the mission rewards for apothecaries but now I wish I had taken them for event fodder.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

ultrachrist posted:

I was thinking I should have turned on Ironman since I hadn’t save scummed at all… then I did a mission where I used all my ap to barely kill the plague bloom while my guys were completely surrounded and… watched the count hit only 1/2 lol.

This was the exact point I decided to restart my entire first campaign. Second time around is going much smoother, with knights actually gaining xp and being healthy enough to field more than once every 45 days.

-edit-

I just slogged through doing a two-bloomflower no-willpower mission, but it says I failed. Does using a stratagem for +2ap or a knight getting knocked and back up somehow count as using WP? Super frustrating.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 12, 2022

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Oh boy, the fight against the Dolorus strain Reaper sure was a thing. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My ship construction is stuck on one day remaining and swapping to a new project won't do anything. Any suggestions on fix? Googling didn't give me much.