Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Zojirushi NL-BAC05SB and it's first cook of basic short-grain rice.

Rice cookers are one of those things that sound like a frivolous extravagance until you actually get one. Like 85% of my dinners are "make a bowl of rice then put X and Y on top". So glad a friend recommended I get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've had a big rear end old NS-TCG18 that I got for free years ago and it's, by far, my most used countertop appliance.

Rice owns.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Rice actually has some problematic issues wrt the climate. Now potatoes, lower climate impact, has more nutrition.

Potatoes rule

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I will eat a whole pot of problematic rice and it only makes me more powerful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Rice actually has some problematic issues wrt the climate. Now potatoes, lower climate impact, has more nutrition.

Potatoes rule

I'm gonna purchase potato and post ITT. (Not right now, mandatory coffee break.)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Potatoes rule

I don’t see how individuals choosing rice over potatoes matters when oil companies are literally setting the oceans on fire.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Potatoes rule

[A fart noise that lasts 45 minutes]

Anyway, I booked a motel for Cape Cod this summer, gonna do some hot tubbin on the late night

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

McCracAttack posted:

I don’t see how individuals choosing rice over potatoes matters when oil companies are literally setting the oceans on fire.

Just preaching the potato supremacy, getting the word out of our one true savior, the spud.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Electric pressure cooker with steamer racks + quartered potatoes on for 16 mins at low = the best mashed potato ever

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Zoji has settings for white, brown, sweet and sushi rice. But not for problematic rice. Any recs?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My Zoji has settings for white, brown, sweet and sushi rice. But not for problematic rice. Any recs?

Try making pancakes
https://kirbiecravings.com/rice-cooker-pancake/

It's very very good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

learnincurve posted:

Electric pressure cooker with steamer racks + quartered potatoes on for 16 mins at low = the best mashed potato ever

Too much effort. I throw them in the instant pot rackless for 10 min on high and we're all happy, but we like 'em chunky. Also appreciate any time different foods climate impact is mentioned. Doesn't mean anyone has to give it up, but if one person makes potatoes instead of rice a couple times then good for them. We do a bit of chicken and rice, which is obviously better than beef and potatoes, but worse than lentil beans and lentil beans.

Speaking of waste, I bought more LED bulbs because these lovely bulbs that are supposed to be good for 15 years keep making GBS threads themselves after 3 or 4, so I try different brands then wait 3 years before I know if they suck or not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tickets to see both Wilco and CHVRCHES, both of whom I've seen before but it's been years :swoon:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you're mostly interested in white rice the $20 kind of rice cooker does a great job too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

davebo posted:

Too much effort. I throw them in the instant pot rackless for 10 min on high and we're all happy, but we like 'em chunky. Also appreciate any time different foods climate impact is mentioned. Doesn't mean anyone has to give it up, but if one person makes potatoes instead of rice a couple times then good for them. We do a bit of chicken and rice, which is obviously better than beef and potatoes, but worse than lentil beans and lentil beans.

Speaking of waste, I bought more LED bulbs because these lovely bulbs that are supposed to be good for 15 years keep making GBS threads themselves after 3 or 4, so I try different brands then wait 3 years before I know if they suck or not.

Oo segway

Oddbox just started delivering in my area and the box arrived today https://www.oddbox.co.uk/

So, 35% of food is wasted before it even leaves the farm, the prime reason for this is supermarkets ordering from two different farms then picking the best out of the two. The other one is if a crop comes out small and supermarkets reject on aesthetics, and your food processing people say no because equipment is set to a certain size. Now farmers can call the oddbox people and say "I've got X of Y" and they will buy it instead.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I sooooo want a Zojirushi but I have limited space and too many kitchen things already. Like 2 enamel dutch ovens, still have grandma's Sunbeam stand mixer plus a Kitchen Aid Pro model. Hell, I'm even considering the $150 Pepper Cannon. I'm sure I'd love the rice cooker, but I never have any trouble cooking rice, either.

In recent purchases, though, I got me some summer tires after years of all seasons

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oddhair posted:

I sooooo want a Zojirushi but I have limited space and too many kitchen things already. Like 2 enamel dutch ovens, still have grandma's Sunbeam stand mixer plus a Kitchen Aid Pro model. Hell, I'm even considering the $150 Pepper Cannon. I'm sure I'd love the rice cooker, but I never have any trouble cooking rice, either.

In recent purchases, though, I got me some summer tires after years of all seasons

Before you pull the trigger on the pepper cannon, check out the unicorn magnum grinder if you haven’t. Sure, it’s named like a sex toy but it puts out more pepper than anything else on the market (until the pepper cannon, apparently).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

learnincurve posted:

Oo segway

Oddbox just started delivering in my area and the box arrived today https://www.oddbox.co.uk/

So, 35% of food is wasted before it even leaves the farm, the prime reason for this is supermarkets ordering from two different farms then picking the best out of the two. The other one is if a crop comes out small and supermarkets reject on aesthetics, and your food processing people say no because equipment is set to a certain size. Now farmers can call the oddbox people and say "I've got X of Y" and they will buy it instead.

What a brilliant idea, people pay you to send them unsaleable garbage, sight unseen. Although I guess that's basically been the lootbox business plan from the beginning.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Magic Underwear posted:

What a brilliant idea, people pay you to send them unsaleable garbage, sight unseen. Although I guess that's basically been the lootbox business plan from the beginning.

Veg boxes are super popular here, if they sent out rubbish then as a business they would last about 9 seconds. Also you are vastly underestimating how evil our supermarkets are and how little legal protection there is, we get it with meat as well, supermarket orders in loads of pork, beef is doing better that month so they just cancel the pork leaving the farmer with 500 pigs about to grow out of the machines they use to process meat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Wasn't a lot of this stuff also going to food banks before companies like this?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another guitar I don't need, Firefly GD90 Les Paul copy, $227 shipped to my door

Long story short; very good for the price, which is Firefly's whole thing. They've done limited amounts of this model and they sell out within a few minutes so I'm pretty happy I got one.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Got myself a Klipsch bluetooth speaker (The Three II)

to go with my new outdoor living room

I'm pretty poor but got some money and it seemed like the wisest investment :-)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mystes posted:

Wasn't a lot of this stuff also going to food banks before companies like this?

No. Some local Supermarkets and markets send end date stuff to food banks because it’s cheaper than disposing of it, but it has to go that day as very few food banks have the facilities to store fresh food. farm waste exclusively ends up in a pit or as compost. I know this because I volunteer at a food kitchen on a Friday. The sheer volume of waste is staggering 35% of farmed food in the whole of Europe never leaves the farm, this isn’t about the homeless or the environment really, it’s about the farmers.

If you hadn’t mocked the box then you too would get to make testical kiwi jokes at your kids.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

widefault posted:

Another guitar I don't need, Firefly GD90 Les Paul copy, $227 shipped to my door

Long story short; very good for the price, which is Firefly's whole thing. They've done limited amounts of this model and they sell out within a few minutes so I'm pretty happy I got one.

I was recently surprised at a cheap guitar as well. I bought a Mitchell MS450 for my son’s birthday to add to his collection. MSRP was $399 which was more than I wanted to gamble, but we got it for $220 on a price match and it’s been fantastic!

GraphTek nut, locking tuners, nicely countersunk tone and volume knobs, a decent bridge, and very nice fret finishing. There are a couple of minor finish blemishes around where the neck meets the body but they’re basically invisible unless you’re digging for them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fools Infinite posted:

If you're mostly interested in white rice the $20 kind of rice cooker does a great job too.

They way they work is also pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got some more paracord. I got multicam "dark" and coyote brown in "mil-spec" to check out the difference.

The multicam dark, isn't very dark. The green shade is lighter than I was expecting, almost like what the Chinese PLA uses from time to time in their marine uniforms, and the browns stand out too much. It only looks the way I want when it's wet lol. The mil spec cord is fine, but it doesn't seem to differ at all from any other, but I'm not using it for anything other than bracelets.

You need to eat more fiber lol

Also sick Les Paul clone.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oddhair posted:

I'm rolling on Continental Extreme Contacts and they're doing well so far. Car came with Pirelli P Zeros and I wanna say they wore out by ~18k mi. Put Michelin Pilot Sports on, and they got me to I recall like 37k, which was better but still pretty terrible. Now at nearly 41k, so like 4k deep into the Continentals, and they're looking better at this point than the others did.

Apparently I'm hard on tires.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp, they updated the OP-1. It’s like my favorite toy to take on the road when I travel sooo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hmu if you’re thinking about selling the old one. I can’t justify buying one new but used might be doable.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Warbird posted:

Hmu if you’re thinking about selling the old one. I can’t justify buying one new but used might be doable.

I will absolutely be selling it so I will!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is an HDMI splitter that can pass through 4K and/or downscale one (or both) outputs to full HD. It also simultaneously extracts the audio to analog stereo and multichannel spdif. I've got one end going to the new 4K tv and the audio going to the speakers next to it, and the other end goes into an HDMI over ethernet extender to a bedroom tv where the extender, the unshielded cat5 and the tv will only ever support up to HD.

I'm a bit baffled that it even exists, but it does and it works well. Maybe smooth gradients are a bit blockier in the downscaled signal? I'm not complaining at <$60.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

learnincurve posted:

If you hadn’t mocked the box then you too would get to make testical kiwi jokes at your kids.

My partner and I were pretty shocked when we went to the farmers market here in SoCal for the first time, and there was a stand that just sold kiwis, and most the kiwis looked like this. So used to seeing the ones in the supermarket. Sure they look weird at first but there's nothing wrong with them, and they're cheap as poo poo comparatively. $20 gets you like 6 lbs of kiwis. The ugly kiwi turns into chips just the same.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OniPanda posted:

My partner and I were pretty shocked when we went to the farmers market here in SoCal for the first time, and there was a stand that just sold kiwis, and most the kiwis looked like this. So used to seeing the ones in the supermarket. Sure they look weird at first but there's nothing wrong with them, and they're cheap as poo poo comparatively. $20 gets you like 6 lbs of kiwis. The ugly kiwi turns into chips just the same.

So if you have the amusing kiwi you probably have the purple carrots as well and people don't know how to cook them :) . Get a deep frying pan and cut enough battens to cover the bottom, one clove of garlic, then half half butter and olive oil to fry. Fry them till they are going soft and the garlic is golden then add in 200ml of cold water, turn up the heat and boil it off. Takes maybe 15 mins total and your purple carrots will have retained the deep purple colour.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

OniPanda posted:

The ugly kiwi turns into chips just the same.

... chips? Tell me more I thought kiwis were stricktly a cut them in half and eat with a spoon thing (unless you're that weird kid in 1st grade that ate the fuzz too)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You can dry them on your pc tower exhaust, no?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I bought a new tree! :woop:

Spent exactly 666$ on Friday the 13th for it too :devil:

Feel like I need to place a pentagram underneath the root ball for good luck

Also misshapen veggies are fantastic! We used to get Misfits boxes and they tasted way better than the stuff at the store, and honestly looked better imho

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I need to stay away for the pawn shops for a while

Squier Affinity Hello Kitty Stratocaster, $150. They were about that price new, but currently sell for ~$500 in black and ~$800+ in the pink. They became kind of a jokey thing when they got clearanced out for $100, then the people buying them found out that were actually really nice guitars with a decent sounding pickup and the prices shot through the roof for no real reason.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

widefault posted:

I need to stay away for the pawn shops for a while

Squier Affinity Hello Kitty Stratocaster, $150. They were about that price new, but currently sell for ~$500 in black and ~$800+ in the pink. They became kind of a jokey thing when they got clearanced out for $100, then the people buying them found out that were actually really nice guitars with a decent sounding pickup and the prices shot through the roof for no real reason.

There’s a guy on YouTube called TheDooo who has like 6M subs and his schtick is that he goes on Omegle with a pink Hello Kitty squier and takes requests and if he doesn’t already know the song he’ll listen to it once and then proceed to absolutely shred. I honestly think he’s a big part of why the price has jumped so much on that model.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

KingColliwog posted:

... chips? Tell me more I thought kiwis were stricktly a cut them in half and eat with a spoon thing (unless you're that weird kid in 1st grade that ate the fuzz too)

Rolo posted:

You can dry them on your pc tower exhaust, no?

This except an actual dehydrator not some broke brain crypto poo poo. Dehydrating fruit is easy and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Consistently glad I have no musical abilities, or this thread would be a real problem.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I bought a new tree! :woop:

Feel like I need to place a pentagram underneath the root ball for good luck

Also misshapen veggies are fantastic! We used to get Misfits boxes and they tasted way better than the stuff at the store, and honestly looked better imho

This is great, I've always wanted to get a tree! Is this one going to be fruiting, or just pretty blossoms? Either way, very good imo.

For content, I got some size 14 climbing shoes:

Turns out almost every big manufacturer tops out at 12 or 13 - especially in more aggressive shoes - but this company in Mexico makes them to order up to size 20 for a very similar price.

This company also has the wildest "about us" section, which includes a ~8 year hiatus after 3 of their founders died in unrelated accidents (one while free soloing a cliff face, another swept out to sea after climbing by a beach in ireland). I guess that's the danger of having some extremely outdoorsy folks found a company??