Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

Hmm interesting, do you have a general calculation for choosing mana distribution? The only stuff I’ve found online is like 36-38 + mana rocks

I might be mistaken but I always went off of 2 mana rocks equal 1 land. I run 32 lands in almost all my decks and typically sol ring, all the signets and talisman that I can based on color and mana dorks if possible. There are myr artifact creatures that tap for each color mana is your in colors without efficient ramp or mana dorks too.

I like to run 7-10 ramp effects based on my mana needs and how I want the deck to function. Plus in 3 color decks the signets and talisman really help with mana fixing. If you don't run alot of dual lands and ways to tutor for them you can run into color issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just draw your own

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just draw your own

What month was this secret lair drop???

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I went a different way.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the insight guys, really appreciate it :)

Toshimo posted:

To give you an idea of what the bleeding edge are doing, I sampled some top end CEDH decks:

If your deck is slower and costs more, then you'll need more mana (and have to cut cards that Do Things).

But, it's not out-of-line to say that, even a mid-tier deck should be running 32-35 lands, 8-12 rocks, and 5-10 other mana sources.

Not sure how to read the numbers on this graph-- Other Mana would be like Llanowar Elf? What does the asterisk signify? And Ramp would be like Kodama's Reach? What does 1.39/1.94 mean-- is it one color vs the other for dual color decks?

For a tri-color deck, is there a way to calculate sweet spot between real lands and dual? I don't really wanna shell out for a painland mana base, so I'd be using "comes into play tapped" for the painless dual fetch lands and and whatnot

Here's the deck, updated to have 32 lands, 4 mana rocks, 5 fetches, and 3 creatures that tap for mana:

https://archidekt.com/decks/2686897#Arcades_1.1

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks for the insight guys, really appreciate it :)

Not sure how to read the numbers on this graph--
Other Mana would be like Llanowar Elf?

I lumped all other mana sources together:
• Mana dorks (Elves/Birds)
• Rituals (Dark/Culling/Jeska)
• Treasure Generators
• Auras (Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl)
• etc.

What does the asterisk signify?

The commander turns other things into mana sources. Urza turns all artifacts into rocks. Magda turns all elves into dorks. Malcolm/Magda turns all pirates/dwarves into treasure gen. Derevi turns all attackers into land untaps.

It makes it hard to give an accurate count, so I just didn't count any of the "potential" sources, but the number with the asterisk is potentially significantly higher in actual play.

And Ramp would be like Kodama's Reach?

Yes. Notably, the best decks simply don't do that. Even mid-grade decks shouldn't be running Cultivate/Reach. If you are on a budget, or have a lot of landfall triggers, 2 mana ramp is ok (Farseek/Into the North/Nature's Lore/Three Visits/STE). 3-mana ramp can get tossed on the garbage pile with all the obsolete 3-mana rocks.

What does 1.39/1.94 mean-- is it one color vs the other for dual color decks?

Average Converted Mana Cost (I believe the kids call it Mana Value nowadays). The 2 numbers are with/without lands included. It's a good metric (although not perfect) for how quickly you can play out your deck. 1-2 is very fast. 2-2.5 is pretty fast, and can be also skewed by things with alternate costs (think Force of Will or Endurance). As you get to around 3, you're talking about slower, more medium-power decks. Anything over 4 and you probably should be rethinking some card choices.

For a tri-color deck, is there a way to calculate sweet spot between real lands and dual? I don't really wanna shell out for a painland mana base, so I'd be using "comes into play tapped" for the painless dual fetch lands and and whatnot

Why? Life total is your most abundant resource in this format and as long as you aren't at 0, you spend it to get better resources.

Even then, full-on taplands are so far down the list that they shouldn't even really be considered at this point.

Ignoring Fetches and ABU Duals, here's 44 multicolor lands in UWG to look at before even considering full-on taplands. Even if you only get a dozen or so of these (which you probably should as they are a good investment), you are probably better just using basics to fill out instead of taplands.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/uOyLQz4NRUujFtSbJk8xfw

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Can't stop imagining Helga gaining the spark.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Why? Life total is your most abundant resource in this format and as long as you aren't at 0, you spend it to get better resources.

This is a concept that took me a while to learn and to get my friends behind but life spent for mana, card draw and advantage is incredibly worth it. All my decks run the pain lands and talisman artifacts, most run Ancient Tomb and a few run Mana Crypt.

I will take damage to these cards in a game but I will win way more games due to their advantages then I will lose to the life loss. Taking one life loss over a land that comes into play tapped typically means you played something either a turn ahead or at least on time, which means you are not falling behind on your opponents.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
it's a nice idea but cash is one of my least abundant resources IRL

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

it's a nice idea but cash is one of my least abundant resources IRL

You can make a functioning 5-color deck that runs on basics. You’re sacrificing raw power when you do, but unless the table is full of sharks you can hold your own just fine. Be sure to keep it in mind when choosing your spells though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the clarification Tosh :)

For pain lands I meant the “comes into play tapped or pay 2 life” and the fetches since they’re pretty expensive— the ones that tap for colorless or 1 damage for colored are totally fine while I feel out the decks though

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanks for the clarification Tosh :)

For pain lands I meant the “comes into play tapped or pay 2 life” and the fetches since they’re pretty expensive— the ones that tap for colorless or 1 damage for colored are totally fine while I feel out the decks though

Oh, those are shocklands since they can hit you with 'Shock' when they come into play. Painlands are the older cheap duals that ping you for 1 whenever you tap then for colored mana.

Cave of Koilos for example https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/236443/magic-commander-2021-caves-of-koilos

They're fine for for duals since if you're in a position that you need them for fixing you generally need the fixing more than the 1 life.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 12, 2022

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Oh I see-- thank you! I actually got all of those in my order as well; I ended up buying every kind because they're so cheap haha

I'm gonna swap them into the deck on Archidekt and play around :)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Does anyone have a good list handy of the best Lands to get for Jund?

I’ve been perusing lists and I’m amazed at how expensive some of these older lands are. Am I on the right track for figuring this out myself? My strategy has been to look at popular Jund decks and document their mana base.

https://edhrec.com/deckpreview/HU4laMRePo0lrTCS7Kfjjw

Definitely can’t afford more than $100 for a land.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You can go really far with just whatever from this list you can afford (or proxy):

Command Tower
ABUR duals (Underground Sea)
Shocklands (Stomping Ground)
Fetches (Arid Mesa)
City of Brass/Mana Confluence(/Tarnished Citadel)
Exotic Orchard/Forbidden Orchard
Battlebond lands (luxury suite)
Pain lands (Llanowar Wastes)
Horizon lands (Horizon Canopy)
+basics

Then sprinkle in some utility lands (Ancient Tomb, Boseiju, Urzas Saga, etc) and anything that fits your specific deck.

I've got a few jund decks in that nebulous range of "not battlecruiser but not cedh"
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/kYQqg50ohU6W6d2V4iCM3g
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/xNnxc--AGkiw_ce6YSr6dw

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nekusar vs Pako & Haldan vs Bluefarm Tymna & Kraum vs Ishai & Tevesh cEDH Gameplay

So much interaction that entire game, lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jesus,

Blood for the Blood God
8BBR

Instant

Costs 1 less for each creature that died this turn

Discard your hand, draw 8 cards, deal 8 damage to each opponent. Exile Blood for the Blood God.

The 40k decks will have collector variants.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jesus,

Blood for the Blood God
8BBR

Instant

Discard your hand, draw 8 cards, deal 8 damage to each opponent. Exile Blood for the Blood God.

The 40k decks will have collector variants.

Abaddon is p cool.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That was such a cool game to watch. Not only a Nekusar cedh win but there were like 40 counterspells or similar played in that game. Wild.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blood for the Blood God
8BBR

Instant

:sickos:

EDIT:

It looks so great, I'm hype as gently caress for this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

That was such a cool game to watch. Not only a Nekusar cedh win but there were like 40 counterspells or similar played in that game. Wild.

Yeah, that was loving wild. I was like "surely they've run out of counters/redirects", and every time they'd prove me wrong, lol

E:

Looks like Braids gets a card in Dominaria United. Pretty sure that's her in the box art for the Dominaria United Collector Booster.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 12, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's going to be three concurrent secret lairs with the 40k commander sets in August. Orks, Age of Sigmar and Bloodbowl.

Looking forward to the Tyranid deck, hoping it'll be like Slivers but a bit more casual friendly.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How many Secret Lairs are we up to so far this year? I wonder if we'll crack 52 before the year is up.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just wonder if they'll eventually run out of good ideas for card mechanics.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just look at how many times they've been able to put a different coat of paint on kicker!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Aren't there actually only like 3 basic mechanics that just get iterations or something like that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Healthen Up, Nerds.

At the start of the next turn, each player may begin performing squats.
At the end of your next turn, the player who performed the most squats during other players' turns may add x to their mana pool at the start of their next upkeep, where x is the number of squats they completed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Actually an enchantment called "hurry the gently caress up" would be a great variant of that.

At the start of each player's turn, that player may draw 1 card for each minute elapsed between the end of their last end step and the start of their turn.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This is the closest among the brands that might actually loving fit in MTG, considering the sports that exist in Battlebond and Stryxhaven. Congrats MTG, you accidentally made a brand deal that isn't a complete suffocating embarrassing disaster, and it only took you 600 attempts of forcing Coca Cola, Siemens Healthineers, and some company with a commercial where Matt Damon calls you a chicken.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah, I absolutely hate the branded poo poo. It feels somehow more mercenary and cheap than WotC is normally, which is saying a lot. The D&D poo poo is...kind of ok even if it still registers as a cheap marketing stunt. But The Walking Dead and Stranger Things were beyond stupid. It's a genre thing. I have no problem with science fantasy like Kamigawa, so it's not like I need everything to be loving Lord of the Rings. But characters who are from a fictionalized Earth in this game is loving stupid, and even Warhams feel free far from MTG's lore. And I would bet my bottom dollar that Strixhaven was originally meant as a Harry Potter set that they couldn't secure the rights to (or chose not to for PR reasons). I'm not which is worse: it being an actual Harry Potter set in MTG,

The relentless march of BUY ALL THIS NEW poo poo is half the reason I stopped playing 20 loving years ago. Over the last few years, the sets have been seriously broken in a lot of cases, both in Standard and in other formats. I would rather see one or two fewer sets per year and have them take the time to make them better than have this constant stream of cardboard wizard slurry. Here's a fucken release schedule that they'll never do in a million years but would let them, you know, have good ideas and test poo poo:

Winter: Standard set, something offbeat like Conspiracy or Battlebond
Spring: Standard set, Commander set
Summer: Modern set, ???
Fall: Standard set, Commander precons

Three "normal" sets per year. Make Modern and/or Pioneer the regular summer thing in Pro Tour. No Secret Lairs, no cross-branded bullcrap, no rushed and terrible commander precons for every single loving set.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, I absolutely hate the branded poo poo. It feels somehow more mercenary and cheap than WotC is normally, which is saying a lot. The D&D poo poo is...kind of ok even if it still registers as a cheap marketing stunt. But The Walking Dead and Stranger Things were beyond stupid. It's a genre thing. I have no problem with science fantasy like Kamigawa, so it's not like I need everything to be loving Lord of the Rings. But characters who are from a fictionalized Earth in this game is loving stupid, and even Warhams feel free far from MTG's lore.

:agreed:, especially about the disconnect between MTG's lore and that of these branded tie-ins.

Magic: the Gathering has a tone, and that tone is incredibly different from the tones of The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, or Lord of the Rings. You can stretch it, bend it a little, to maybe do a set that's a little wackier than normal, or a little darker than normal. But you can't take a setting that's about a simple, somewhat neutrally-toned medieval fantasy about conquering armies and powerful wizards and suddenly make it about things as extreme and disparate as the saccharine sentimentality of Grimm's Fairy Tales and the WH40k's "grim darkness". Trying to cram these things into MTG ends up demeaning both MTG and the original IP. It is vapid, offering nothing but something to point at and say "I understood that reference." In turning a narrative work with themes and morals into a set of card mechanics, you remove what made that original IP special, and at the same time introduce thematic incongruity into Magic.

Anyway, looking forward to sitting down for a commander game in the future and seeing my three opponents pull out a rapist from a zombie apocalypse, a genocidal space nazi, and a child from 1980s America.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Anyway, looking forward to sitting down for a commander game in the future and seeing my three opponents pull out a rapist from a zombie apocalypse, a genocidal space nazi, and a child from 1980s America.

That said, if I don't buy my partner the Bloodbowl Secret Lair, she'll probably kill me, so who can say if it's good or bad, really?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

lmao holy poo poo. I know it's "premium product premium set" or whatever but that's absolutely insane

How badly do y'all need a Kozilek with new art, and or that reprint of Wandering Wayfarer? :barf:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Nuke the Whales.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol multikicker squad

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

To be fair, power and toughness are absolutely abstractions, and it's best not to get too invested in them meaning anything story-wise

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I mean if a handful of squirrels is enough to take out Dr. Doom then maybe a few more is all you need to stop an unthinkable horror

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they're squirrels that are each the fighting equivalent to a grown man

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Just wait til people find out Roboute Guilliman has Friends Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

To be fair, power and toughness are absolutely abstractions, and it's best not to get too invested in them meaning anything story-wise

I always hated that comic. Emrakul has flying, damnit!