Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/HerbieZiskend46/status/1524491379958759424?s=20&t=kxX3WnyvZxCjaJAqDmFBKA

"Vote harder"

That's all they have. They failed to increase the minimum wage. They failed to pass voting rights. They failed to pass abortion rights. They'd rather vote for more Ukraine aid than COVID relief. They're not giving good reasons to vote for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Why would you assume that?

Because it would not be even the slightest bit surprising.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I rent out the spare garage rooms in my house and KNOW I could get a lot more for it than than what I charge but my tenant is an elderly lady on a fixed income, is an ideal room mate, stay quiet, cleans up after herself and doesn't give me any poo poo. I know right now I could increase her rent but, basically, I'm not an rear end in a top hat and who knows what kind of renter I might get if she moved out?

In short, I think my basic sense of decency and humanity is costing me money but she's the perfect person for the space I rent.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/HerbieZiskend46/status/1524491379958759424?s=20&t=kxX3WnyvZxCjaJAqDmFBKA

"Vote harder"

That's all they have. They failed to increase the minimum wage. They failed to pass voting rights. They failed to pass abortion rights. They'd rather vote for more Ukraine aid than COVID relief. They're not giving good reasons to vote for them

Are you expressing the ignorant, uninformed id of regular voters who are too busy to know how things work, and how that is going to be a problem for future elections (which is fine), or is this a serious criticism?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theCalamity posted:

"Vote harder"

I find this particularly galling when a member of House leadership just went to an anti-abortion House Dem’s fundraiser last week

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Rigel posted:

Are you expressing the ignorant, uninformed id of regular voters who are too busy to know how things work, and how that is going to be a problem for future elections (which is fine), or is this a serious criticism?

Yes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

theCalamity posted:

"Vote harder"

I’m sure the party that’s protecting Henry Cuellar can be trusted on this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Similac is also the #1 formula used across hospitals in the US.

We burn through cases of Similac Advance for the Post Partum dept. on a daily basis, it's the basic foundation for formula used (other Similac types are stocked for specialized needs).

Now? Similac Advance is out of stock, no ETA on when we are getting restocked.

CuddleCryptid posted:

One thing to also add onto the baby formula shortage is that Abbott's baby formula, the Similac line, is the go-to for parents with babies with delicate stomachs. We just finished formula with my son when the recall hit so we didn't get affected, but we know people who have kids who will literally poo poo blood if they don't get the correct formula, and a lot of the other formulas that will work for them require a prescription and are *very* expensive even by the already expensive formula prices. This isn't just a matter of spinning up a new factory to make rotgut formula, the product lines are necessary, and if corporate negligence causes this to go on for a while it is going to be a big problem.

Yeah, the Politico story went into that, too--and how many babies need special diets with certain amino acids.

Meanwhile, desperate parents are resorting to DIY mixtures with corn syrup.

In a country less broken than ours the government could & would have done something--anything!--to help speed along production, Psaki's psnarking about storehouses aside.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Rigel posted:

It wouldn’t be surprising if the justices lied about getting threats either. I say let them stew.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lol did anyone seriously expect the sitting VP to call upon the people to rise up and smash the system

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Rent is going up insane amounts.

My lease renewal came with a less-than-one-percent increase for the next year & I signed that puppy so fast the ink wasn't dry when I was stuffing it in the envelope.

The national average rental increase now is something crazy like 25 percent YoY, and income requirements have gotten stricter post-pandemic.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

haveblue posted:

Lol did anyone seriously expect the sitting VP to call upon the people to rise up and smash the system

Did anyone say that?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

theCalamity posted:

Did anyone say that?

Literally anything would help! “We’re setting up legal, transportation and accommodation networks for women in states where this will have the greatest impact. No woman will be forced to go without the care she needs, not now, not ever.”

They got a lot of money I guess, would be cool to see material action

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

selec posted:

Literally anything would help! “We’re setting up legal, transportation and accommodation networks for women in states where this will have the greatest impact. No woman will be forced to go without the care she needs, not now, not ever.”

They got a lot of money I guess, would be cool to see material action

It would be nice to see.

On a similar note:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1524200246330417154?s=20&t=J4lYUKutaFl5W4O3h3AhiQ

This is great and it would be nice to see more of this

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find this particularly galling when a member of House leadership just went to an anti-abortion House Dem’s fundraiser last week

Two members of House leadership: Clyburn & Pelosi both went to Cuellar's district for him.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Rigel posted:

Thank god Democrats rushed to the aid of fascists scheming to enslave women.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

theCalamity posted:

It would be nice to see.

On a similar note:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1524200246330417154?s=20&t=J4lYUKutaFl5W4O3h3AhiQ

Stand your ground laws specifically designed to prevent women from being kidnapped back to reactionary states by law enforcement or bounty hunters would also help drive the message home.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rigel posted:

Oh so you're saying that because of your own confirmation bias and literally nothing else.

Good to know!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Rigel posted:

What were Dems promising voters before the GA elections for senator? Because they knew they'd wind up with 50 if both Dems won there, and yet they weren't saying "We're gonna need 60 to actually do anything."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Willa Rogers posted:

My lease renewal came with a less-than-one-percent increase for the next year & I signed that puppy so fast the ink wasn't dry when I was stuffing it in the envelope.

The national average rental increase now is something crazy like 25 percent YoY, and income requirements have gotten stricter post-pandemic.

The BLS calculates rent for the CPI by asking people who live in their home how much they think they would rent their home for. They also ask some renters how much their rent is. Unfortunately the OER has 3x the weight of actual rent data.

Zillow has better housing data because they survey 100k homes each month. Redfin is also not too bad.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, that 25 percent figure I cited was from either zillow or rent.com, not the government.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone know where in the Manchin cycle we are? He’ll come around eventually.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Oh so you're saying that because of your own confirmation bias and literally nothing else.

Good to know!

A "serious understanding" is apparently best achieved by regurgitating assumptions one didn't even bother to chew on the way down

Nanomashoes posted:

Anyone know where in the Manchin cycle we are? He’ll come around eventually.

The funny thing is that by letter of the Manchin Cycle, it still hasn't been broken here, because he wasn't the deciding vote for cloture and therefore it's just a performance to fleece Cletus

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 11, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Schumer somehow coming out with the best take of any elected Democrat.

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1524098613852389377

A bunch of people who served on the Board of Pardons with Fetterman came out to say what a jerk he was and how bad of a job he did, but accidentally make him sound awesome.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1524375839550414848

People pin a lot of hopes on Fetterman and he's not my favorite but it's really funny that so many of the "insider dirt" on him ends up being articles about how some politician doesn't like him because he's not friendly and wants to focus on his job.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

theCalamity posted:

"Vote harder"

They couldn't even cancel student debt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gumball Gumption posted:

People pin a lot of hopes on Fetterman and he's not my favorite but it's really funny that so many of the "insider dirt" on him ends up being articles about how some politician doesn't like him because he's not friendly and wants to focus on his job.
'You can't do politics in politics! That's not right!' -the media

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rigel posted:

I think it's a serious criticism even if you 100% fully believe that the Democrats as a majority want to do all those things but just need more Democrats in office. If voting is the answer they can still be doing more to convince people to vote and to make sure they have the ability to vote while facing powerful voter suppression.

If you want people to vote for you and they don't believe in you or voting that's not a personal failing on their part, that's a failing on the part of the people trying to earn votes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

'You can't do politics in politics! That's not right!' -the media

lol yeah. I even get their complaints in the sense that yeah, a lot of politics is glad handing and building an image. But Fetterman does that, he just doesn't do it for them. Other politicians are not his audience.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 11, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

theCalamity posted:

"Vote harder"

Vote harder is a particularly galling thing to hear when there's no end to examples of states making it even harder to vote, gerrymandering, etc.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

someone give me a few days' timeout before i lose my loving mind any more than i already have

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

uPen posted:

They couldn't even cancel student debt.

Speaking of student debt:

https://twitter.com/MissBeaE/status/1524507215280881664?s=20&t=KxX8CpQhURmAUkJV9GYm4A

https://twitter.com/MissBeaE/status/1524507580349001729?s=20&t=KxX8CpQhURmAUkJV9GYm4A

Come on, Biden. The largest civil rights organization for black people is even behind it. You gotta give us something

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

theCalamity posted:

Speaking of student debt:

https://twitter.com/MissBeaE/status/1524507215280881664?s=20&t=KxX8CpQhURmAUkJV9GYm4A

https://twitter.com/MissBeaE/status/1524507580349001729?s=20&t=KxX8CpQhURmAUkJV9GYm4A

Come on, Biden. The largest civil rights organization for black people is even behind it. You gotta give us something

Haven't you been paying attention? We're getting record deficit reduction. This is why the Democrats need to get their act together on messaging

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Haven't you been paying attention? We're getting record deficit reduction. This is why the Democrats need to get their act together on messaging

They really do need to get their act on messaging. They'll say that we should vote for them to protect human rights right now, but then turn around and say "gently caress human rights"

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1524451666333863937?s=20&t=KxX8CpQhURmAUkJV9GYm4A

quote:

Refusing to help became a theme for Rice’s immigration outlook, according to the White House sources, current and former, contacted by the Prospect. After learning that expulsion flights of migrants were not always full, Rice developed a daily fixation with ensuring full capacity on flights operating under Title 42, a Trump-era policy that allows for the rapid expulsion of migrants and asylum seekers.

At one point, a series of emails was circulated with a picture of a man who had been expelled to southern Mexico with several gun barrels in his mouth. The emails described the perils faced by those on expulsion flights in southern Mexico at the hands of cartel gangs that control vast swaths of territory. The communications did not elicit immediate action at the highest levels of the DPC, an oversight described by one former official as a “fuckup.”

Another series of emails, describing the way expulsion flights to Guatemala were helping to cripple the Central American country’s health care infrastructure, was circulated among White House staff but similarly did not change Rice’s outlook on immigration policy.

As The New York Times reported in November, Rice’s hardfisted stance toward illegal immigration went so far that she blocked a plan to vaccinate migrants at the border, a policy she justified by arguing that vaccinations could be viewed as an incentive for further illegal migration.

When reached for comment, a White House official told the Prospect that Rice played an integral role in marshaling an all-of-government approach to build an orderly immigration system helping to minimize the time children spend in federal custody. They also added that Title 42 was and continues to be law, and to best use taxpayer dollars means ensuring that methods of transport are being used by the Department of Homeland Security as efficiently as possible.

Another source described to the Prospect that, after learning that Russians were crossing the southern U.S. border at higher rates, Rice realized that alongside them were also Mexican immigrants. She then organized additional screenings to detain and expel Mexicans without furthering a plan to address the rise in Russians. “Rather than making moves to address the swelling Russian population, Susan discovered that a high number of Mexicans were copying that influx. She deployed asylum officers to do extra screenings at a higher threshold to make sure that they could be expelled,” the source said.

You can't trust the lesser evil to do the right thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theCalamity posted:

It would be nice to see.

On a similar note:

Can’t wait for the 21st century Dredd Scott decision stemming from this.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Do people honestly believe that if the Title 42 order is lifted that the people being removed under it will be allowed to stay? Here something that isn't mentioned very often, if someone is removed under Title 8 and is caught re-entering the country they can be put in prison for up to 2 years. If you are removed under Title 42 you have have not been convicted of a crime and will not face any additional penalty for re-entry.

The group that is most directly targeted by Title 42 removals is single men. Families are generally processed under Title 8, are given a court date, and allowed to stay in the country.

Though this seems more appropriate for the Immigration Policy thread rather than the CE thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848439&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35

Also, migrants who are processed by the CBP are offered the Covid vaccine, though they are not required to be immunized to stay in the US. However, people wishing to legally immigrate to the US must show proof of vaccination.

prospect.org posted:

Another source described to the Prospect that, after learning that Russians were crossing the southern U.S. border at higher rates, Rice realized that alongside them were also Mexican immigrants. She then organized additional screenings to detain and expel Mexicans without furthering a plan to address the rise in Russians. “Rather than making moves to address the swelling Russian population, Susan discovered that a high number of Mexicans were copying that influx. She deployed asylum officers to do extra screenings at a higher threshold to make sure that they could be expelled,” the source said.

This part doesn't make any sense either. Everyone the CBP catches crossing the border is taken to a CBP station, processed, and assessed under Title 42 or Title 8. I don't know what "additional screening" could be applied.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 12, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Srice posted:

Vote harder is a particularly galling thing to hear when there's no end to examples of states making it even harder to vote, gerrymandering, etc.

Here's something that's incredibly frustrating about it, I live in Massachusetts. I can't vote harder. My state is solidly blue. I can't do poo poo. I'm held hostage by the rest of the states in the union. What is the expectation there? Even more, what is the reward? I'm voting as hard as I can, I'm still suffering due to a failing federal government, so what are/can the Democrats do to protect their people as the federal government falls down?

If we're on the verge of losing to an enemy who does not follow the made up rules than what are the contingency plans from the Democrats for their base when those rules fall apart? Do any of them have an answer for when "vote" gets taken away as an option? So far it doesn't seem so, voter suppression is only going to get worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Willa Rogers posted:

What were Dems promising voters before the GA elections for senator? Because they knew they'd wind up with 50 if both Dems won there, and yet they weren't saying "We're gonna need 60 to actually do anything."

$2000 checks on day one for one thing

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BiggerBoat posted:

I rent out the spare garage rooms in my house and KNOW I could get a lot more for it than than what I charge but my tenant is an elderly lady on a fixed income, is an ideal room mate, stay quiet, cleans up after herself and doesn't give me any poo poo. I know right now I could increase her rent but, basically, I'm not an rear end in a top hat and who knows what kind of renter I might get if she moved out?

In short, I think my basic sense of decency and humanity is costing me money but she's the perfect person for the space I rent.

If you don’t mind me asking a couple questions, I’m interested in your mindset with being a property owner who rents out space.

Is rent control plus vacancy control in effect in the city you live in?
  • If not, do you think it would affect your choice in this?
  • If so, do you feel much pressure to increase rent? Or not at all?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 12, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

You're a good person and the value of a space is made up. Just because someone can make more money doesn't mean they should.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way Democrats act it's as if they expect voters to be endlessly grateful that they bothered to even show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way Democrats act it's as if they expect voters to be endlessly grateful that they bothered to even show up.

Well if your typical liberal is to be believed, them just showing up somehow stops evil from rising again.