Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The new culture mechanics have really buffed "tall" playstyles, since you can ensure your hybrid/divergent culture only exists in the 8-15 provinces you control personally, hugely boosting your cultural fascination gain. Make sure to pick up one of the traditions that boosts your primary holding terrain type's development gain. This works best in regions with mostly similar terrain like Egypt, Arabia, and parts of India/Sub-Saharan Africa where you can have most of your provinces be floodplains/desert/jungle (unfortunately, there's no tradition that boosts development in plains).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Even just improving development without boosting at all is crazy..I migrated to Iceland in the game where I speed 5'd to 1453, it was all 5 development in 1215 when I got there, and averaged 74 by the 1400s.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Quick question:

Say you're a kingdom under an empire and you conquer a neighboring duchy under a neighboring kingdom under the same empire. Will that duchy dejure drift toward your kingdom?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It will.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The new culture mechanics have really buffed "tall" playstyles, since you can ensure your hybrid/divergent culture only exists in the 8-15 provinces you control personally, hugely boosting your cultural fascination gain. Make sure to pick up one of the traditions that boosts your primary holding terrain type's development gain. This works best in regions with mostly similar terrain like Egypt, Arabia, and parts of India/Sub-Saharan Africa where you can have most of your provinces be floodplains/desert/jungle (unfortunately, there's no tradition that boosts development in plains).

There's also not a huge downside to just diverging while you hold only your capital province. There is a HUGE upside though, when it comes to tech.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

There's also not a huge downside to just diverging while you hold only your capital province. There is a HUGE upside though, when it comes to tech.

There are certain cultural traditions that this makes ineffective though, Castle Keepers requires that both the ruler and province have the tradition to get the Reniwn boost from holding Castles.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Servetus posted:

There are certain cultural traditions that this makes ineffective though, Castle Keepers requires that both the ruler and province have the tradition to get the Reniwn boost from holding Castles.

Yes, but if you're farming renown, as would be the idea with Castle Keepers, it would maybe be more optimal to go Mystical Ancestors and just pass out holdings before succession. MA isn't dependent on the culture, only the house.

It's a different playstyle, I know. But I love it to death.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are there any recommended UI mods for this? Anything that shows more information and is ironman compatible would be appreciated.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can’t believe that merely increasing the text to 110% size fucks things up lol. there’s no way to scroll on some of these pop ups so I just am missing the bottom however much of the message

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dorkopotamis posted:

Yes, but if you're farming renown, as would be the idea with Castle Keepers, it would maybe be more optimal to go Mystical Ancestors and just pass out holdings before succession. MA isn't dependent on the culture, only the house.

It's a different playstyle, I know. But I love it to death.

Oh yeah, I love both Castle Keepers and Mythical Ancestors, but I think the latter is only available to certain Indian cultures.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Han, Akan, and at least one Tibetan culture have it I think.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

There are seven cultures with Mystical Ancestors:

Akan (Akan)
Buryat (Mongolian)
Han (Chinese)
Lhomon (Tibetan)
Malvi (Indo-Aryan)
Mon (Burmese)
Rajasthani (Indo-Aryan)

If you're playing tall, Mystical Ancestors is even more absurd. Go use your once-in-a-lifetime kingdom invasions, then give the kingdom and everything in it to your fourth kid or your unlanded cousin or whoever. You get a ton of renown and a friend for life.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 12, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well the true pro move is to Be Feudal, have no children, give all titles to your childless brother (disinherit his kids if you need to), attempt to imprison him, surrender, repeat. You can blast through every legacy pretty in less than 5 years if you really wanted to do not do this is it extremely tedious

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Well the true pro move is to Be Feudal, have no children, give all titles to your childless brother (disinherit his kids if you need to), attempt to imprison him, surrender, repeat. You can blast through every legacy pretty in less than 5 years if you really wanted to do not do this is it extremely tedious

How does surrendering to the childless brother get you Renown? I feel like I'm missing several steps of this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You give him all your titles first. With Mystical Ancestors granting titles to House Members gives you a shitload of Renown. Then you get yourself deposed, take over as the heir, grant all the titles right back to the first guy, get more renown, get deposed again, ad infinitum.

This is also how you do the 100 Runestone achievement (I mean you wouldn't have to if the AI would raise Runestones but they mostly don't) and/or farm effectively infinite Piety as Norse.

Check out One Proud Bavarians video on Runestones, there's an absolute madman who did all the legacies on YouTube as well somewhere too.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 12, 2022

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
It's very funny raiding Britain a lot and watching my court fill up with Excaliburs. I wish I could convert them to equippable artifacts and kit out my champions with them :hist101:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How can this game have Excalibur and not allow you to wield it?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Being gay has not stopped me from fathering a bunch of kids.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Are there any recommended UI mods for this? Anything that shows more information and is ironman compatible would be appreciated.

I am almost positive that any mod will disable ironman, unless mod authors have figured out how to get around it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chakan posted:

I am almost positive that any mod will disable ironman, unless mod authors have figured out how to get around it.

Almost any mod. What matters is whether the mod alters a folder that affects the checksum, which is everything except textures, shaders, fonts or music (according to the wiki). So UI mods are often ok.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Been starting a bunch of games as Lothaire I trying to collect The Things Love Does for Us, and Louis The Younger just got decapitated by a crazy relic seeker on the 10 January 867. They really need to tone down the odds on that event.

e: And there goes Charles the Bald on 10 October. Everyone but me is getting murdered :negative:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It took me two tries to get that achievement, the first one failing because my lover died early. On the second attempt I had the game speed on max and just reacted to every event in whatever way would get me more enemies and more tyranny. I had to grant independence to some dudes to avoid a faction from firing, but when I received a plush exotic carpet from a mysterious benefactor I knew I was on the right track. A few months later my lover died in my stead and the achievement popped.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I am jealous as poo poo. I'm on like 20 runs now with about 6 different characters and I still haven't got it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I try to play tall sometimes but then I notice there's an unbetrothed six-year-old girl who's second-in-line to inherit Aquitaine, or a random dynasty member I'd never heard of with claims on Hungary shows up in my court, and like, you can't just ignore opportunities like that

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PittTheElder posted:

I am jealous as poo poo. I'm on like 20 runs now with about 6 different characters and I still haven't got it.

I'm jealous of people who can let go of the urge to be the most efficient realm possible and embrace roleplaying, cuz I sure as hell can't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pakled posted:

I try to play tall sometimes but then I notice there's an unbetrothed six-year-old girl who's second-in-line to inherit Aquitaine, or a random dynasty member I'd never heard of with claims on Hungary shows up in my court, and like, you can't just ignore opportunities like that

Just give the land to a family member, then set them free.

Of course, they'll get murdered within the year by rebels and neighbours, but it gives a good, fuzzy feeling until then.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I am having an absolute blast with my Raoul of Dijon start 867. I own almost half of France as an absolutely OP Duke. I just hit the overextension malus for having too many counties, but the penalty doesn't take me into negative income so I think it'll just be a problem for my son, dad will keep taking french lands. I have a dynasty member in line for the French throne, and also have a claim on Lotharingia. History says I should usurp the French throne and take it, but I'm having so much fun as a huge internal player as opposed to an independent king.

I was thinking about going independent and then forming a new kingdom but dukedom is very fun. No one can do anything against the king without my say so.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
When I died, my successor is still the dynasty head but it's greyed out in the upper right of the UI, and when it ticked over to a new legacy someone other than me was able to pick a legacy perk. But on the dynasty screen, I am the house head. What's going on ?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo, finally got The Things Love Does For Us as Alfonso of Leon. Only took dozens and dozens of attempts. :negative:

The upside (and the reason I wanted to finish all these achievements) is that I am now free to use all the mods I want :v:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

When I died, my successor is still the dynasty head but it's greyed out in the upper right of the UI, and when it ticked over to a new legacy someone other than me was able to pick a legacy perk. But on the dynasty screen, I am the house head. What's going on ?

Presumably there is another House Head of a cadet branch who is stronger than you. The strongest House Head automatically becomes Dynasty Head.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
United England as Alfred and conquered a bit of Ireland and southern Scotland.

My lecherous son is ruling now, but thankfully he only has one living son and a ton of daughters.

However, all the electors think he's evil for some reason. He's 10. He's humble and rowdy. Why?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a religious difference at play?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You're house head but not dynasty head if the icon is greyed out and someone else picked a legacy.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

United England as Alfred and conquered a bit of Ireland and southern Scotland.

My lecherous son is ruling now, but thankfully he only has one living son and a ton of daughters.

However, all the electors think he's evil for some reason. He's 10. He's humble and rowdy. Why?

rowdy is considered an 'evil' trait. just a little joke on the part of the developers

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

scaterry posted:

rowdy is considered an 'evil' trait. just a little joke on the part of the developers
Aren't Anglo-Saxons predisposed to being rowdy and strong IIRC because they're bellicose? Seems weird that they'd consider it an evil trait.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Game wouldn't pass the bare minimum threshold for historical accuracy if Catholicism didn't require a ton of self-loathing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

Game wouldn't pass the bare minimum threshold for historical accuracy if Catholicism didn't require a ton of self-loathing

I guess.

I'm really liking this kid though. I gave him two counties and a barony and I betrothed him to my niece (so, his first cousin I guess) because she's my strongest vassal (Duchess of Mercia). I was shocked to see him intervene in a liberty war against her that she was losing, and when I investigated it turned out that they were friends. :kimchi:

Now they're well on the way to winning that war.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

It's driving me nuts that I can't find an answer for this online.

When you diverge your culture, do you keep all of the Innovations and/or progress on each from your old culture?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes. Possibly up to a certain cap (I swear I saw something about this in the code) but it's high enough that I've never noticed it in practice. Hybridization is the same, you actally keep progress from both.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Hmm it seems like you reset Traditions down to the base of 3. My original culture just adopted my 4th one from reaching medieval era, but on the diverge screen I only have 3 traditions showing.

Edit: I just went for it and yeah, you drop down to the base of 3 and have to pay 7000 prestige to re-buy the tradition you spent most of a lifetime working on. :argh:

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 17, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think you get to keep (n-1) of however many you either have, or have unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Hmm it seems like you reset Traditions down to the base of 3. My original culture just adopted my 4th one from reaching medieval era, but on the diverge screen I only have 3 traditions showing.

Edit: I just went for it and yeah, you drop down to the base of 3 and have to pay 7000 prestige to re-buy the tradition you spent most of a lifetime working on. :argh:

it's not always 7k, it varies based on your ethos and a couple other things