Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJ posted:

Why is this a law? Do they think kids are going to install nude mods? Also if this is the case why do i keep getting recommended japanese videos of Tifa with giant boobs and lingerie by YouTube?

In a world where big honkers tifa is outlawed, only outlaws will have big honkers tifa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It seems more of a way to enforce copyright and prevent hacking rather than create requirements for companies to police their games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"if square enix really wanted to go after triggernometry users, the japanese government might have their backs" is a much more reasonable statement

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

running mods that let you ignore / trivialize mechanics

Neither bagelgoose nor the JP streamer who got suspended were doing this so...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
no one is suing anyone

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

"if square enix really wanted to go after triggernometry users, the japanese government might have their backs" is a much more reasonable statement

Sure, let's go with that.

Gshade users who get brigaded the same way will still be banned.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Can we go back to P3S discussion? At least I could get something from that.

(That said Discord as an illegal 3rd part tool is BS if only because that has 0 interaction with the actual game beyond the options Discord gives for ALL games and also because even console players can use it! Are you gonna ban PS4 players for using Discord, huh?)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gonna ban ps4 players for using non-Playstation brand controllers.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Can we go back to P3S discussion? At least I could get something from that.

(That said Discord as an illegal 3rd part tool is BS if only because that has 0 interaction with the actual game beyond the options Discord gives for ALL games and also because even console players can use it! Are you gonna ban PS4 players for using Discord, huh?)

The counterargument to that is by the definition they give, Discord does fall under that. They don't define third party tools as programs that interact with the game process, files or network traffic. The definition they give is "Use of tools that allow players to more easily complete content."

Nobody thinks that there's a high chance they will ban people for using Discord, but if they hypothetically were to do so you're not allowed to complain but you broke the TOS and you can't complain that they suddenly decided to enforce it.

That is the same logic used against the streamers who got banned. They did something that was against the TOS that wasn't enforced until it was. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a more sane definition.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
why are people reacting to hyperbole arguments made to show how slippery the concept of a 3rd party tool is with stone cold "i don't think you can say keyboards are a third party tool, gotcha" remarks. Is there a gas leak in this thread (do not respond by telling me a digital thread cannot logically have a gas leak)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah it was a dumb post meant as a joke, not sure why I fed the flames.

Let's go back on discussing why Elmo strat sucks instead.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Elmo is good.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Also braindead intemperance is good. I don't care if i get a damage down just kill the boss so i can get the loot and go back to grinding triple triad cards.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Impermanent posted:

why are people reacting to hyperbole arguments made to show how slippery the concept of a 3rd party tool is with stone cold "i don't think you can say keyboards are a third party tool, gotcha" remarks. Is there a gas leak in this thread (do not respond by telling me a digital thread cannot logically have a gas leak)

I’m summoning the spirits of pedantry and going to start an argument about games as a service so we can have a gaas leak

——

Timed housing demolition is yoship toxically manipulating the millennial dream of having a living space in to subscription retention and is causing uhhh emotional labor

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I dont see anything about Elmo in-game, sounds like you all are using...

third party tools to trivialize content

edit: knowing fights before you do them the first time is cheating

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If you mention Elmo in game you are admitting that you use toolboxes and can be reported.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Housing is similar to the mods issue insofar as that is also 5chan ghostwriting yoshida's posts. Housing is dissimilar insofar as 5chan also apparently ghost programmed the lottery

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
joonbob intemp is also braindead, it's just that every guide sucks rear end at describing it simply

if you're the flex, you have two squares you need to care about : your starting square and your ending square (which is the other flex person's starting square). Your square order is: your starting square, the cell that gives you the opposite color of what you got in step 1, and then your ending square

this is actually easier than the non-flex jobs if you think about it this way, because they have to sometimes go to the middle to get no color instead of just always mindless alternating colors. But every guide I've ever seen explains it with big-brain top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top nonsense when none of that matters. Just take the color that doesn't kill you in step two and go to the destination square you were assigned at the start in step 3.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't trust someone who is playing machinist not to gently caress it up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they're just as likely to gently caress it up doing it normal lol, the flex role isn't any harder

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

cheetah7071 posted:

joonbob intemp is also braindead, it's just that every guide sucks rear end at describing it simply

if you're the flex, you have two squares you need to care about : your starting square and your ending square (which is the other flex person's starting square). Your square order is: your starting square, the cell that gives you the opposite color of what you got in step 1, and then your ending square

this is actually easier than the non-flex jobs if you think about it this way, because they have to sometimes go to the middle to get no color instead of just always mindless alternating colors. But every guide I've ever seen explains it with big-brain top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top nonsense when none of that matters. Just take the color that doesn't kill you in step two and go to the destination square you were assigned at the start in step 3.

You'll need to explain that in about 1/6 the words if you want to get that done in a of group.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mainwaring posted:

You'll need to explain that in about 1/6 the words if you want to get that done in a of group.

"Start SE, take opposite color, end S"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

source: I've flexed almost every time I've done intemp and after a few initial screwups I found ways to make it easier on myself and figure it out. It's easy enough to sight-read, and if you need extra help, after the first explosion go to the two of the top middle or bottom middle squares that has two colors in it and not two of the same color. Then head to the south square, or stay there if you're already there. It works every time.

I'm not a savage raider. But I tried real hard to not be a burden on my team for my attempts and dips into the content, and I think that work is actually making an impact.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

cheetah7071 posted:

"Start SE, take opposite color, end S"

I would rather end SE

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zomborgon posted:

I would rather end SE

you can, if you play off-tank!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The first night my group was doing P1S, we kept getting the simple pattern - 3 ice in the South. We quickly figured out everyone can switch their element at South if they needed, or just hide in the middle if they didn't. For the entire first couple hours of prog that's all we saw.

Second night comes around and we couldn't figure out why we kept wiping on intemp. We had to stop and look at vods after a couple attempts to figure out that, yes, there is more than one pattern it can make. Didn't take long to figure out a strat for it. I think it ended up like joonbob with a minor variation on one pattern.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Let's go back on discussing why Elmo strat sucks instead.
Elmo's fine. Other invuln strats are fine. Doing it without invulns is fine.

I haven't wiped to that mechanic in PF reclear groups since like early February on Primal (Elmo) or Aether (Myta). As long as the group has an agreed upon solution and the people can do it then who cares what strat you're using

Ask me about being an idiot and dying to spread gloryplume all the time though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
spread gloryplume is like the exact kind of mechanic that's the bane of PF: requires quick thinking, kind of finnicky, hard to assign spots for, and your movement will change from party to party

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

I would rather end SE

SE's trying their darnedest

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Elmo is a B tier Sesame Street character at best.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blockhouse posted:

no one is suing anyone

wrong, you'll see my lawyers in the morning

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i've done a thing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Splash Attack posted:

i've done a thing

those desynths looking incredibly not maxed out smh smh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thundarr posted:

Gotta admit, SE threatening to sue themselves if players keep posting pretty screenshots would be a novel anti-cheating tactic.

As far as I can tell there’s no evidence of a positive requirement on SE’s part (and the fine is apparently paid to the software copyright holder, so that would be a strange construction).

My understanding from a Japanese-speaking lawyer (not, to be clear, a Japanese lawyer, and Japanese law is apparently somewhat “weird”) pretty much matches this Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/ac63rm/ethics_there_is_no_evidence_that_save_game/

There’s a group that quite wants it to be as severe as the previous poster described, but they’re the only ones saying that it’s so. For the most part the amendment seems to be motivated by people bypassing paywalls in p2w mobile games, and abetting the bypassing of anti-piracy measures.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m curious: did they ever say why they apparently decided to stop making NIN a Striking user after the first two Crystal Tower raids?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/curecaster/status/1524486380210077701

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

I’m curious: did they ever say why they apparently decided to stop making NIN a Striking user after the first two Crystal Tower raids?

it was always the plan for ninja to use its own gear. Because it was added in 2.4, ninja gear didn't exist in 2.0-2.3. When it was added, rather than create a mountain of new gear, they just slapped dex on monk gear and let ninjas wear it too, for the monk gear that already existed. For gear added in 2.4 or later, it's separate.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

As far as I can tell there’s no evidence of a positive requirement on SE’s part (and the fine is apparently paid to the software copyright holder, so that would be a strange construction).

My understanding from a Japanese-speaking lawyer (not, to be clear, a Japanese lawyer, and Japanese law is apparently somewhat “weird”) pretty much matches this Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/ac63rm/ethics_there_is_no_evidence_that_save_game/

There’s a group that quite wants it to be as severe as the previous poster described, but they’re the only ones saying that it’s so. For the most part the amendment seems to be motivated by people bypassing paywalls in p2w mobile games, and abetting the bypassing of anti-piracy measures.

If the Japanese government had any interest at all in going after companies that were insufficiently enthusiastic about shutting down people who mod their games, there's several developers who would already have been sued out of existence. Part of why I don't expect it to ever happen, and it'll only be a handful of loonies calling for it to be enforced in that way.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

No Mods No Masters posted:

SA doesn't have a three strike policy before you get permaed, with strikes taking 5 years to fall off. But it should

oh do they really fall off after 5 years? i thought i was still on a poo poo list from bein sent to GM jail in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think adding the falloff was a pretty recent change, like since endwalker launch or so