Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

careful what you wish for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I grew up on Bill Hicks, and it’s bothersome that he had a bit about how much he loved dating fourteen year-olds (yes, the f-slurs, misogyny and racism were also objectionable, but a lot more common in the late 80’s/early 90’s).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm not gonna pretend Jojo's nazi poo poo isn't not weird because it is but it's really hardly 'sympathetic'. Stroheim is the only Nazi that isn't near instant horror fodder and, yea, his entire character arc is 'oopsen I have empowered das supen vampyres yet again' and the rest of the cast going 'you're objectively the dumbest person here' while he gets mangled.

My major memory of that arc is he keeps getting ripped apart, and has to be put back together with Nazi Super Science at an ever increasing level so by the end he's just a robot with a head and the JoJos are shocked he is alive.

As for the subject of "nice" Nazis, it's not like it's an uncommon media trope in WW2 dramas. The presentation of some front-line infantry grunt who was drafted at 16 and gets slaughtered on the battlefield weeks later, or the professional concert pianist conscripted into the air force is a tool to represent how the horrors of war and fascism leave no one untouched, even on the 'evil' side.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 17:08 on May 11, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Jojo Part 2's treatment of Nazis is weird, in that it sorta slightly humanizes them a little, like the Nazi who shows the heroes a picture of his girlfriend he's gonna marry next week immediately before he dies like it's a buddy cop movie. I suspect it's less out of any actual fondness for Nazism, and more so that when hordes of them are murdered by an ancient aztec double-vampire, it's horrifying and not just cathartic. Though they're still Nazis so you don't feel THAT bad, it's a cool horror movie moment rather than a "oh the humanity" moment.

As for Stroheim the "heroic" Nazi, he bumbles into hubristically empowering the evil super-beings twice, and gets blown up/dismembered three times. He's hardly aspirational and at best works with the heroes to try and fix his monstrous gently caress-ups.

Japanese media kind of has a history of glossing over WWII war crimes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The school system too. Isn't that what the author blamed the characterization on? He had no idea the depths of the atrocities because it's just not talked about in Japan when he was in school in the 70s and 80s.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Criminal American Imperialist Disruption of the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

God, that reminds me. A friend had pretty highly recommended a show to me, but I had forgotten the name and only could remember it was "[Noun] Slayer". I saw Goblin Slayer pop up on Netflix, figured it was that, and went into that with pretty high hopes. Turns out it's absolutely horrid rapey trash that was clearly written and drawn one-handed and I noped out half an episode in.

Goblin Slayer has Crunchyroll on the production committee - that's a bad sign because they are always involved in rapey anime because apparently that's what the US audience love?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Torquemada posted:

I grew up on Bill Hicks, and it’s bothersome that he had a bit about how much he loved dating fourteen year-olds (yes, the f-slurs, misogyny and racism were also objectionable, but a lot more common in the late 80’s/early 90’s).

I’d like to think he’d be someone who grew with the times, but who knows. He never seemed particularly class conscious, like with the Waffle House bit. And goat boy was always loving terrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thibk absolutely only have gotten worse. He modeled himself after Lenny Bruce and just everyone else that's done so has missed the point of what Lenny was rebelling against in favor of just rebelling.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thibk absolutely only have gotten worse. He modeled himself after Lenny Bruce and just everyone else that's done so has missed the point of what Lenny was rebelling against in favor of just rebelling.

It's often forgotten, but Hicks covered the Waco compound siege as an amateur journalist so he did have an awareness of things that were going on. I think he would have become very much angrier and increasingly political with time, and I really can't see him continuing with comedy past 9/11.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

It's often forgotten, but Hicks covered the Waco compound siege as an amateur journalist so he did have an awareness of things that were going on. I think he would have become very much angrier and increasingly political with time, and I really can't see him continuing with comedy past 9/11.
he 100% would have gone chud

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never forget that technically, Jesus' name would have been Joshua, son of Joseph.

Yeshua ben Yosef

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Remulak posted:

Yeshua ben Yosef

somewhere in history there was a benjamin ben benjamin and i bet he hated his family

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

A long time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There is a doctor/author named Ben E. Benjamin which is almost as good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"So that's Benny Benjamin?"
"No. Ben E. Benjamin."
"... yeah, Benny."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's no way you don't lean into that if you're advertising the middle initial.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

he 100% would have gone chud

Yeah there's no way he wouldn't have followed the Dennis Miller trajectory

MAYBE he would have become Bill Maher and that's just as bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Then I'd start calling myself Benny E. Benjamin. Just to see how good people are at listening.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good to meet ya Big Ben

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah there's no way he wouldn't have followed the Dennis Miller trajectory

MAYBE he would have become Bill Maher and that's just as bad

Maher was always more a medium-talent hack who only got "political" because of the Politically Incorrect gig. Like, he's the ultimate guy who's good for a tight 10 minutes or so at the Laugh Shack but doesn't have anything deep to say, but he started believing his own hype.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Not gonna defend the pedophile orangutan though. It's an amazing premise on paper, because a big aspect of this part is that the setting's new defining superpower is something not solely relegated to buff punch-men, anyone can have it, so a big aspect is determining who your opponent in a fight even IS as they can just be a nondescript rando hiding in plain sight. So here we have this scenario where the bad guy is a goddamn monkey you thought was just some guy's pet, with his superpower being the ocean liner you're standing on. It really ratchets up the paranoia that bad guys going forward can be literally anybody and their power could be literally anything.

And it's a super intelligent monkey that smokes cigarettes and solves Rubik's cubes, that's amazing! Which I guess was the problem, because it's so goofy it wraps around to being likeable enough you'd feel bad about a guy punching its head in, leading to the question "What's the worst thing I could have the monkey do that would make people not root for it? I know, make it a leering pedophile! :dumb: "

Maybe my memory is off on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the whole plotline with the kid stowaway wasn't nearly as expanded or even perverted in the original manga as it was in the anime production, and that Davids Production took it further then what it was. Which makes it worse then it already was, imo, because it's now in a weird spot of 'Was this the producers, the original artist, or both that said this was needed to be added?'.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

geeko55 posted:

Maybe my memory is off on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the whole plotline with the kid stowaway wasn't nearly as expanded or even perverted in the original manga as it was in the anime production, and that Davids Production took it further then what it was. Which makes it worse then it already was, imo, because it's now in a weird spot of 'Was this the producers, the original artist, or both that said this was needed to be added?'.

IIRC, yeah, the 13 year old doesn't do much. She's the damsel in distress for a couple of chapters and busts Jotaro's chops a bit, and then they put her on a plane and she's out of the series.

Honestly, considering the source material, I was expecting her to end up as Jotaro's wife, but thankfully I do not believe that is the case

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

hawowanlawow posted:

careful what you wish for

lmfao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

geeko55 posted:

It's two pages for her shower scene in the manga, with a page in between showing a large group of sailors after they had been murdered and the ape sneaking around, so it comes off with more of a "Psycho shower scene" vibe. Still sleepy considering her age, but not long, lingering shots like the anime.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

the_steve posted:

IIRC, yeah, the 13 year old doesn't do much. She's the damsel in distress for a couple of chapters and busts Jotaro's chops a bit, and then they put her on a plane and she's out of the series.

Honestly, considering the source material, I was expecting her to end up as Jotaro's wife, but thankfully I do not believe that is the case

She's one of the weirdest parts of part 3 and when I was reading the manga and they put her on a plane I was like 'wait, what?'

You could cut her out completely and barely have to change a thing to the story.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Randalor posted:

It's two pages for her shower scene in the manga, with a page in between showing a large group of sailors after they had been murdered and the ape sneaking around, so it comes off with more of a "Psycho shower scene" vibe. Still sleepy considering her age, but not long, lingering shots like the anime.

Yea in the manga it's much more 'horror movie oh god she's in the shower while all this murder is going on can she even tell she's in danger' quick moment than the extremely lingering creepy poo poo the anime did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

She's one of the weirdest parts of part 3 and when I was reading the manga and they put her on a plane I was like 'wait, what?'

You could cut her out completely and barely have to change a thing to the story.

There were kids in similar roles in parts 1 and 2, so my best guess was that she was added as a required element, perhaps as a viewpoint character for the audience closer to her age (either by Shonen Jump or subconsciously by Araki). And then at some point Araki realized 'wait, I can just not do that' and wrote her out, because the guy refuses to make or stick to long-term plans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Japanese media kind of has a history of glossing over WWII war crimes.

Only the bad stuff.

The good stuff, fascism is the enemy without question. Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai get it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I’ve been watching some older shows, and I checked out the first episode of Justified. I did like it, but does it age badly like it looks like it’s going to? The main character being a quick shot cop who goes for killing blows seems kinda “yikes”. It’s okay if it’s just a bit problematic, I just want to make sure it doesn’t go into full copaganda.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it does a pretty good job of portraying the consequences of his old west lawman-style approach. The title of the show comes directly from his shooting of the hitman in Miami being technically "justified", but also very much not a thing anyone should be doing. I don't think it dives into copaganda.

Also Walton Goggins is amazing as Boyd Crowder.

Shame about Nick Searcy having a big role, though.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 11:23 on May 12, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I really liked Justified, and can’t recall anything really egregious considering it’s a show about US Marshals. It’s essentially an Elmore Leonard series, and he was usually on the right side of things.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Justified, as with all cop shows, shows us that cops are normal people just trying to get through the day like you and me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Justified usually had Raylan face consequences for his bending of the rules cops are supposed to follow. Also how he might be effective at some things but he's not held up as a good cop.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Yew theenk yew kin pull that gun before i shoot yew? Blam.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Justified is a show about a really stupid guy who thinks he’s badass manufacturing ways to kill other really stupid guys who think they’re criminal masterminds.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I liked Justified and it was my introduction to Character Actor Margo Martindale and she is great in it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Justified is a show about a really stupid guy who thinks he’s badass manufacturing ways to kill other really stupid guys who think they’re criminal masterminds.

So, much like Fight Club, the entire point will go entirely over the heads of the biggest fans and all they will see is Justified is a show about a really stupid guy who thinks he’s badass manufacturing ways to kill other really stupid guys who think they’re criminal masterminds.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

sick of Applebees posted:

I liked Justified and it was my introduction to Character Actor Margo Martindale and she is great in it

Probably should watch The Americans then. Maybe even Smeaky Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

So, much like Fight Club, the entire point will go entirely over the heads of the biggest fans and all they will see is Justified is a show about a really stupid guy who thinks he’s badass manufacturing ways to kill other really stupid guys who think they’re criminal masterminds.

Yes and some people will watch Full Metal Jacket and go enlist in the armed forces. People are idiots.