Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I went to see Uncut Gems by myself and a TON of old people walked out clearly expecting a normal Adam Sandler movie. Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

MLSM posted:

The only movie I walked out of was Elysium about two thirds of the way through. What a steaming pile of incoherent bullshit that movie was lol.

The movie about rich people living in a space utopia while the poor people live in a giant slum? how is that incoherent?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If y'all didn't hear, Avatar trailer views smashed every single record there ever was.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Well that's just silly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Who did you annoy this time?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So are Avatar 4 and 5 filming at this point or did Disney wait to greenlight them?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mantis42 posted:

The movie about rich people living in a space utopia while the poor people live in a giant slum? how is that incoherent?

I was gonna say, Blomkamp is not at all subtle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So are Avatar 4 and 5 filming at this point or did Disney wait to greenlight them?

Cameron snuck a little bit of 4 while filming 2-3 but I don’t think capture/production on it has started. All the capture and most of the live action for 3 is done, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good Will Hunting was so boring and i was ver stoned and wanted to walk out, but didn't. i was a big gus van sant nerd and couldn't believe he had directed something so fuckin bourgeous

my ex and i walked out of Ghostbustes Afterlife about 45 minutes in because we hadn't laughed once and were just not feeling it at all

can't recall many other movies i paid for but regretted. im usually pretty good about avoiding the biggest stinkers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cameron snuck a little bit of 4 while filming 2-3 but I don’t think capture/production on it has started. All the capture and most of the live action for 3 is done, though.

Wild. Well certainly Cameron is insane enough to do it, he'll be 70? by the time they come around but I doubt that will slow him down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wild. Well certainly Cameron is insane enough to do it, he'll be 70? by the time they come around but I doubt that will slow him down.

The reason he took that decade+ of deep sea diving was specifically because he could easily see himself directing until he dies but the deep sea stuff he needed to do before he was too old for it. He’s going to keep working on these forever.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

I went to see Uncut Gems by myself and a TON of old people walked out clearly expecting a normal Adam Sandler movie. Owned
probably a good idea, I saw it in a theater and if were a few decades older I would have loving died

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well that's just silly.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1524201122184925184

:sickos:
:getin:

Cameron has stated 4 & 5 are only gonna happen if 2 & 3 are successful, otherwise he's not going to bother. This is one of the reasons why he developed the sequels to be self-contained stories with clear endings. No sequel hooks or cliffhangers between the films so things don't get left up in the air in the event Avatar 4 & 5 become vaporware.

[edit] Avatar 2 & 3 were shot back-to-back, and I believe Cameron has only just started the editing process on 3. He also mentioned in an interview that he filmed bits of part 4 with the main kid actors before they got older (since the films will have time jumps).

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wish movies did that more often. While it can be amazing to have a long story work like Avengers there is nothing sadder than a movie that sucks and then tries for a sequel at the end AKA Green Lantern

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

VROOM VROOM posted:

probably a good idea, I saw it in a theater and if were a few decades older I would have loving died

Yup. Had a full blown panic attack in my car after lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have a never leave the theater rule that is foolish and has only brought me suffering, leading me to finish the hobbit films and marvel films way after my high had already passed (given each of these movies was like 3 hours long), but also, tragically, leading me to see A Day Without a Mexican and The Brown Bunny in full.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hate-watching is almost as fun as watching something you actually like, so sometimes I watch stuff I know is garbage just to be able to join the discussion online.
Then again, it's a bit different regarding seeing something in a theater, like I wouldn't go see a movie that's considered bad. I did walk out during Charlies Angels 2 when my family dragged me along because I thought it was utterly ridiculous as a teenager. Also, I clearly remember seeing A.I. and laughing out loud at the overly-maudlin ending with my mom when I was 15. I think we were the only ones laughing and it probably annoyed the rest of the audience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Hate-watching is almost as fun as watching something you actually like, so sometimes I watch stuff I know is garbage just to be able to join the discussion online.
Then again, it's a bit different regarding seeing something in a theater, like I wouldn't go see a movie that's considered bad. I did walk out during Charlies Angels 2 when my family dragged me along because I thought it was utterly ridiculous as a teenager. Also, I clearly remember seeing A.I. and laughing out loud at the overly-maudlin ending with my mom when I was 15. I think we were the only ones laughing and it probably annoyed the rest of the audience.

There's also the rare bad movie that you literally enjoy because it's so bad which is why I saw Cats in the theater three times. But only the version that still had human hands lol

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I have a never leave the theater rule that is foolish and has only brought me suffering, leading me to finish the hobbit films and marvel films way after my high had already passed (given each of these movies was like 3 hours long), but also, tragically, leading me to see A Day Without a Mexican and The Brown Bunny in full.

Same, luckily I don't regret watching most of what I've paid to see but I feel like if I walk out then I can't complain about how much the movie sucked, much like voting in elections.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wanted to walk out of The Prince of Persia but my friend paid for my ticket and also gave me the ride there so I was kind of stuck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wanted to walk out of The Prince of Persia but my friend paid for my ticket and also gave me the ride there so I was kind of stuck.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kiimo posted:

I'm honestly pretty shocked to see people so excited about this movie in this thread. Good for you all! I hope you enjoy it.

I'm going to 100% get dragged to it against my wishes like I did the first one and hate every second, like I did the first one. I don't know what it is but I rolled my eyes like every moment of that teaser. Not my jam

Avatar? because i've never seen it nor do i want to. I'm honestly surprised people are excited for it. This is the very first place I've ever seen people say they liked it lol.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's Ferngully with flying sex donkeys

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Avatar? because i've never seen it nor do i want to. I'm honestly surprised people are excited for it. This is the very first place I've ever seen people say they liked it lol.

Us goons are sweaties because we post on this dead forum. I'm a sweatie who is excited for the Avatar sequels. That said, the normies vastly outnumber us sweaties, and make no mistake, normies are excited for Avatar. Always bet on Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqvnX5i-Dio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOp3BKcBGlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_NogljrnI

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

What's crazy to me about this story is that avatar is 2nd at 146 while first place is a fast and furious movie with like 202 million or something. That's a massive lead

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

What's crazy to me about this story is that avatar is 2nd at 146 while first place is a fast and furious movie with like 202 million or something. That's a massive lead

Curiously, both franchises center around FAMILY.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Vandar posted:

Prince of Persia was I think the first movie I ever saw at IMAX , and I can honestly say the IMAX/dolby demo reel they play before all the movies was more entertaining than the film.

The closest I've come to actually walking out of a theatre was Rise of The Silver Surfer, holy moly what a poo poo film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

that's the n2o

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tb9ENbFWvQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love the idea of Reddick playing Wesker but what the gently caress is all of this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the point of rebooting it if you're just going to make it look like a less ambitious version of the Paul W.S. Anderson movies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The last reboot came out just in the last six months and it was pretty bad, so I don't have much hope for this either

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The last reboot came out just in the last six months and it was pretty bad, so I don't have much hope for this either

They're getting remarkably efficient with these things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

They're getting remarkably efficient with these things.

"We now interrupt this programme to bring you a reboot of this programme."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

What's the point of rebooting it if you're just going to make it look like a less ambitious version of the Paul W.S. Anderson movies

i wouldn't say it looks less ambitious. trailer looked fine, except for being played out

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

teagone posted:

Curiously, both franchises center around FAMILY.

And both feature Vin Diesel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We will never get a horror movie, let alone a RE movie, that looks as cool as the prerendered REmake backgrounds ever again. Good looking horror movies will remain the domain of A24 stuff and they won't do gothic shlock.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MacheteZombie posted:

It might be calculated differently, as it could be assumed you’re watching with your family.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

that new RE looks like poo poo. All these reboots have an easy layup to try to just do RE4 and hell, 7 or Village, and instead opt for the same late 90s complete mess which doesn't remotely hold up and will look like poo poo no matter how "loyal" it is to the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tim Whatley posted:

that new RE looks like poo poo. All these reboots have an easy layup to try to just do RE4 and hell, 7 or Village, and instead opt for the same late 90s complete mess which doesn't remotely hold up and will look like poo poo no matter how "loyal" it is to the source material.

Seriously - it looks like just ultra generic zombie poo poo. Like some lovely Walking Dead spinoff (and TWD is lovely in its own right).

I mean I know I'm Old Man Yelling At Clouds at this point but goddamn Zombie stuff is so played out. Like BEYOND loving played out. Are we as a culture REALLY still interested in this poo poo?